• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is the Covid-19 Exit Strategy of 'Zero Covid' countries such as Hong Kong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
We have Dumb Dumb Dom in NSW deciding to let it rip.
A virus of this nature cannot be 'controlled'

This is not an easy message to convey, even to those who have have already accepted that zero-covid was toast. Essentially everyone will eventually get infected by SARS-CoV-2 in the near future, and likely more than once in their lifetime. 1/
One can don an FFP2, FFP3, N95 mask, or a hazmat suit, or whatnot, but at this stage, all this may achieve is to delay the time until some of us will get infected, and thereby marginally prolong the pandemic. 2/
I believe it is time to give in soon. Vaccine protection rates are as high as they may ever be in many places, and now we've got a couple of decent drugs. Pretending we remain in control, of sorts, is just becoming too costly. 5/
I feel vindicated; the zero Covid brigade were wrong and I was right about how the pandemic will end.

Endemic equilibrium here we come; countries can delay it and prolong the epidemic but they cannot avoid the fact that it's going to go the same way as previous HCoVs, such as OC43 (which likely caused the pandemic of c.1889).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Yew

Established Member
We have Dumb Dumb Dom in NSW deciding to let it rip.
Ah, it's been a while since I've heard that old pejorative term for "accept that controls cost more than the benefits they give". Maybe you could rock out "granny killer" next?

Pakenhamtrain

Ah, it's been a while since I've heard that old pejorative term for "accept that controls cost more than the benefits they give". Maybe you could rock out "granny killer" next?
Its more that everywhere else still kept things like masks and QR codes.

He decided to rid then re introduce them.

Other states kept both and aren't seeing the massive spread.

Yew

Established Member
Its more that everywhere else still kept things like masks and QR codes.

He decided to rid then re introduce them
Indeed, he shouldn't have reintroduced them, as they don't seem to have made a difference.

brad465

Established Member
Some will have seen this by now; Novak Djokovic is causing controversy for trying to enter Australia without being vaccinated, by trying to prove a medical exemption:

Australia's Prime Minister has said tennis star Novak Djokovic will be refused entry to the country unless he provides evidence that he cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons.
Scott Morrison said the tennis player "could be on the next plane home" if the proof was insufficient.
The world number one is due to play in the Australian Open, after being exempted from vaccination rules.
Players must be jabbed or have an exemption from an independent panel.
Djokovic has not spoken about his vaccination status, but last year he said he was "opposed to vaccination".
Organisers say the defending champion has not been given special treatment, but the decision has infuriated many Australians. The country is seeing tens of thousands of Covid-19 cases for the first time after enduring some of the world's strictest restrictions.
More than 90% of Australia's over-16 population is fully vaccinated, but some people still cannot travel interstate or globally because of current measures.
Amid the controversy, Mr Morrison said the Serbian player would be required to present evidence upon arrival that he has a genuine medical exemption from vaccination. The Australian Open begins on 17 January in Melbourne.
"If that evidence is insufficient, then he won't be treated any different to anyone else," the prime minister told reporters. "There should be no special rules for Novak Djokovic at all. None whatsoever."
The comments seemed to represent a change in his position, after he said on Tuesday that the Victoria state government had provided the player with an exemption to enter the country and that officials would act "in accordance with that decision".
Many Australians had previously accused the government of allowing the rich and famous to do as they please while ordinary people remained separated from sick and dying loved ones.
"I think it's a disgrace," Melbourne resident Christine Wharton told ABC. "We've all done the right thing, we've all gone out and got our jabs and our boosters and we have someone that has come from overseas and all of a sudden he's been exempt and can play."
A&E doctor Stephen Parnis tweeted: "I don't care how good a tennis player he is. If he's refusing to get vaccinated, he shouldn't be allowed in."

Bantamzen

Established Member
Some will have seen this by now; Novak Djokovic is causing controversy for trying to enter Australia without being vaccinated, by trying to prove a medical exemption:

I had to laugh at this line....

Organisers say the defending champion has not been given special treatment, but the decision has infuriated many Australians. The country is seeing tens of thousands of Covid-19 cases for the first time after enduring some of the world's strictest restrictions.
So the restrictions really helped didn't they. The words can, road & kicked spring to mind....

brad465

Established Member
I had to laugh at this line....

So the restrictions really helped didn't they. The words can, road & kicked spring to mind....
Yes Australia now have the 10th highest reported case count over the last 7 days in the world, not something you'd expect a country that for a long time pursued zero-covid to be experiencing now.

NSEFAN

Established Member
Yes Australia now have the 10th highest reported case count over the last 7 days in the world, not something you'd expect a country that for a long time pursued zero-covid to be experiencing now.
I suppose it does actually make sense. Having pursued a zero-covid approach, this means there's a lot of people who will have either never had covid, or had it a long time ago and have since lost some immunity. Combined with increased transmissibility of a new variant, the end result will be like a lit match to a large pile of dry kindling wood.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

BBC now reporting his visa is cancelled and he’ll be deported…

brad465

Established Member

richw

Veteran Member
I suppose it does actually make sense. Having pursued a zero-covid approach, this means there's a lot of people who will have either never had covid, or had it a long time ago and have since lost some immunity. Combined with increased transmissibility of a new variant, the end result will be like a lit match to a large pile of dry kindling wood.
Interesting to read! Not here but on another forum I made these exact predictions about 12-18 months ago. I was dismissed as talking rubbish by nearly every other contributor!

21C101

Established Member
BBC now reporting his visa is cancelled and he’ll be deported…
The Australians are making as big a fool of themselves as Drakeford is. They will pay a heavy price as sports event organisers take note and plan accordingly. I see already the Welsh Rugby Union are plotting to decamp to England for the Six Nations.

nedchester

Established Member
Maybe he should now be known as Novax Djokovic.

i find it very funny to be honest because whether we agree with the rules or not he thought he was too important to abide by them. A case of “do you not know who I am”

birchesgreen

Established Member
Novax... i mean Novak is appealing. I read a suggestion on twitter that we should all clap slowly while waiting for the result of the appeal. :lol:

35B

Established Member
The Australians are making as big a fool of themselves as Drakeford is. They will pay a heavy price as sports event organisers take note and plan accordingly. I see already the Welsh Rugby Union are plotting to decamp to England for the Six Nations.
Or, alternatively, event organisers may start to act as though they’re part of the places they inhabit.

If what’s reported today is correct, Djokovic has flown to Australia on a visa that doesn’t allow for exemptions. He’s been stopped at the border and his papers checked; he’s failed that check. There are several things that don’t add up here, but the actions of the federal government are some of those that do.

And deviating from topic, the WRU seem to be looking for alternatives but lacking in viable options - the whole of what I saw looked like one round in a long negotiation for them.

duncanp

Established Member
They will pay a heavy price as sports event organisers take note and plan accordingly. I see already the Welsh Rugby Union are plotting to decamp to England for the Six Nations.

And no doubt Nicola Sturgeon will change the rules in time to allow fans to attend Scotland vs England at Murrayfield on February 5th.

Regarding Novaxx Djokovic, he must have been aware of the rules, but he obviously thinks he is too important for the rules to apply to him.

The Australian authorities have allowed some players in who have genuine medical reasons for not having a vaccination.

Whether or not you agree with the rules, they apply to everyone, and it makes a mockery of them if some people can get round the rules for spurious reasons.

kristiang85

Established Member
I personally doubt he himself does his visa paperwork, it could well be a screw up by one of his minions.

It seems Australia are making an example of him, though.

takno

Established Member
And no doubt Nicola Sturgeon will change the rules in time to allow fans to attend Scotland vs England at Murrayfield on February 5th.

Regarding Novaxx Djokovic, he must have been aware of the rules, but he obviously thinks he is too important for the rules to apply to him.

The Australian authorities have allowed some players in who have genuine medical reasons for not having a vaccination.

Whether or not you agree with the rules, they apply to everyone, and it makes a mockery of them if some people can get round the rules for spurious reasons.
Personally I think they should just automatically move events to places where audiences are allowed in. If, 4 weeks ahead of the schedule, the alternative is an empty stadium then the fixture should be moved to Newcastle.

ExRes

Established Member
I personally doubt he himself does his visa paperwork, it could well be a screw up by one of his minions.

It seems Australia are making an example of him, though.

He's supposedly had covid and has found the time to speak against vaccination so he would be just as much to blame as any of his hangers on, as for 'making an example' if he doesn't meet the requirements then he doesn't meet them, regardless of who he is

kristiang85

Established Member
He's supposedly had covid and has found the time to speak against vaccination so he would be just as much to blame as any of his hangers on, as for 'making an example' if he doesn't meet the requirements then he doesn't meet them, regardless of who he is

I'm pretty sure without the vaccination row, a paperwork mistake for one of the world's sports stars would very quickly be resolved at the border...

ExRes

Established Member
I'm pretty sure without the vaccination row, a paperwork mistake for one of the world's sports stars would very quickly be resolved at the border...

Absolutely, normally everyone is queueing up to bow and scrape to 'stars' and 'celebrities', I say well done to the Australians for forcing him to meet the requirements expected of everyone else

Jonny

Established Member
Absolutely, normally everyone is queueing up to bow and scrape to 'stars' and 'celebrities', I say well done to the Australians for forcing him to meet the requirements expected of everyone else
The trouble is that the requirements were basically made up as they went along.

Worse is that the people have turned on someone else, when their real issue should be with their own government.

brad465

Established Member
Worse is that the people have turned on someone else, when their real issue should be with their own government.
This is not in any way a coincidence, divide and rule is one of the oldest political tricks going.

Part of me wanted him to be accepted if it meant the population getting outraged, taking to the streets and hastening the downfall of what is essentially a Murdoch puppet regime.

kristiang85

Established Member
The trouble is that the requirements were basically made up as they went along.

Indeed. He was allowed to board the plane - if the paperwork clearly wasn't right, the airline personnel should/would have spotted it. So I'm putting it down to a grey area in the rules the Australian government are using to make an example of him.

richw

Veteran Member
Indeed. He was allowed to board the plane - if the paperwork clearly wasn't right, the airline personnel should/would have spotted it. So I'm putting it down to a grey area in the rules the Australian government are using to make an example of him.
Rarely had paperwork checked when boarding a plane. Always at arrival immigration at destination

kristiang85

Established Member
Rarely had paperwork checked when boarding a plane. Always at arrival immigration at destination

Visa paperwork always is. The airline is responsible for taking you back if it's wrong and have to bear the cost. I can't recall a single time in the last 10 years I've flown to a visa country without my paperwork being checked.

By the way, I've just seen Tennis Australia have said that 26 athletes have been given exemptions. So I'm still led to believe that this is a case of an example being made.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
When I travelled to Australia a couple of years ago I had made an error on my visa application. This was picked up at check in and I couldn't check in until it was sorted. Luckily it was a tourist visa which can be applied for nearly instantly.

Jonny

Established Member
Visa paperwork always is. The airline is responsible for taking you back if it's wrong and have to bear the cost. I can't recall a single time in the last 10 years I've flown to a visa country without my paperwork being checked.

By the way, I've just seen Tennis Australia have said that 26 athletes have been given exemptions. So I'm still led to believe that this is a case of an example being made.
That is the worst thing. Plane boarding is controlled partly by the arrival country for multiple reasons, not just public health. It is also a matter of general safety, whether they should even be on a plane (for the safety of the aircraft, on top of public health).

It also sets a bad precedent to turn someone away based on something that was at least know-able and doubly so if it was actively declared by the applicant when the visa was granted.

ExRes

Established Member

I'm sure differing reports are being placed by the various interested parties, but what I saw was that 26 players had applied for exemptions but only a handful were granted, if true then he is most certainly not being made an example of

greyman42

Established Member
The men's tournament will be significantly devalued without Djokovic and i am surprised the ATP organised the event given Australia's track record over the last two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.