• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What is this track object and associated markings?

OrionHi

I was scrolling through my photo library and came across this image I took a few years ago. I couldn't find anything after a quick Google search, so I'm curious at what it is.
markings.jpeg
Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TSG

My guess would be that the numbering has been painted on there by a cheesed off lubrication technician who has had to replace too many greaser hoses after the tamper has been through

Railsigns

Established Member
The painted markings are there to tell tamper operators not to tamp on either side of the greaser ("G/POT" for grease pot).

Skie

alxndr

Established Member
The spray paint would be done by the tamper team rather than the lubrication department. Lots of stuff gets sprayed up to avoid it getting struck (axle counters, certain types of points etc)

Ploughman

Established Member
Have sprayed up this type of markings many times.
Not just for greasers, but normally cabling and ducting and switches.
Greasers can be removed by arrangement and is preferrable as it means the tamper does not leave a large area untamped with the potential for track faults.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The spray paint would be done by the tamper team rather than the lubrication department. Lots of stuff gets sprayed up to avoid it getting struck (axle counters, certain types of points etc)
Or, according to certain signal engineers, as target identification...