• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What products can you remember that have disappeared?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweet cigarettes.
Imagine those being on sale today.
You would put one in your mouth and pretend to be smoking, before eating it.

Also at Christmas, there were chocolate smokers outfit selection box’s, containing chocolate in the shape of things like a pipe, a lighter, a chocolate cigar, chocolate ashtray, etc, plus either a bar of chocolate shaped like a packet of cigarettes, or alternatively a small packet of those sweet cigarettes.

1635542833355.jpeg

The Johnny Seven.
One of the most desired boy’s toys in the 1960’s.
Many families couldn’t afford to buy one, leaving their children envious of their luckier pals.

p.s. It was a fancy toy gun, complete with a grenade launcher and other accessories.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ediswan

Established Member
Sweet cigarettes.
Imagine those being on sale today.
You would put one in your mouth and pretend to be smoking, before eating it.
There were also (inedbile) fake cardboard cigarettes where you blew and some powder (smoke) came out the end. Despite buying all the fake tobacco items mentioned, I have never felt tempted to sample the real thing.

It may not be allowed now, but in my final year of primary school, somebody turned up with sections of a normal lung and a smoker's lung.

Brown Sauce flavour crisps. Might have been just a Northern thing, I think they were made in Grimsby. Tayto? Murphy's?

Coal tar soap, used to find this mostly in pub toilets, but I did come across it once in someone's home. Is it still manufactured for export?

Chunky Aeros.

Sutherland's Spreads. The bacon one didn't taste anything like bacon, and they seem to have disappeared from shops around the time of either BSE or the horse meat scandal.

Last edited:

AM9

Veteran Member
Does anyone here remember the mangle, the predecessor of the spin dryer?

Last edited:

PTR 444

Established Member
Not to be confused with the short lived chocolate flavoured Pringles which tasted utterely revolting.
I remember walkers did a Chilli & Chocolate flavour of crisps around 2008. As a little kid at the time I seemed to enjoy the taste more than anyone else.

Another flavour I regret having so much of is Pringles’ short-lived Chip & Ketchup.

AndrewE

Established Member
It may not be allowed now, but in my final year of primary school, somebody turned up with sections of a normal lung and a smoker's lung.
I can trump that... We had a drugs awareness lesson at shool where a plain-clothes policeman turned up and showed us drug use paraphernalia, even burning canabis resin over a lighter flame to show how it crumbled before use in a joint! At the end of the period we left the classroom absolutely reeking!
(Knowing what we do now, and having got a lot more cynical, I wonder whether he was advertising a source of supply, or teaching potential customers?)

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member

I've seen them in museums..

Does a National Trust recreation of a Victorian country house kitchen/laundry count?

There was once a product called Ayds that was once regularly publicised, but it vanished off the market very suddenly.

Think they were confectionery used as part of calorie-controlled slimming plans. Disappeared late 1980s/early 1990s.

DelW

Established Member
Green Heinz Ketchup (think it was a special for the film "Flubber").
Ruby Kit Kats (I desperately miss these :( ).
Spira is a chocolate bar all my family say was the best.
Strawberry Cocopops is a recent disappeared item I loved.
Pineapple Jaffa Cakes last year were great.
Builder's Breakfast Walker's Crisps (Also their Fish and Chips flavour has changed from nice to horrid).
I fondly remember a strawberry and cream sweet I've not seen since I was a kid.
Why do they always make awesome special editons and cut them????
Some of those take some believing (though I'm not doubting your memory of them, it's just that they seem so bizarre).

Green Heinz ketchup features at no 20 in this list:

Disastrous products that big companies want to forget (msn.com)

Heinz’s Green Ketchup

This was an invention to get the kids talking. In 2000 “Heinz EZ Squirt” or “Heinz Green Sauce” was released, featuring spinach-coloured “Blastin’ Green” ketchup and it was an instant hit with the kids. Although the product boomed initially, sales began to dwindle as children lost interest in the shiny new condiment on the table and the line was discontinued in 2006.

xotGD

Established Member
There was a brand called Insignia that came out as a rival to Lynx. I still remember the song from their TV ad :

"Insignia's got everything
Shampoo and shower gel
Deodorant and aftershave
For one all over smell"

I don't think it lasted long. Lynx was the winner!

Gloster

Established Member
My grandmother also had one right up to the early 1970s. She was good at leaving the washing of the heavy stuff until the morning of our fortnightly or monthly visit. I would then be chosen from a short list of one to turn the handle while my grandmother and mother supervised, i.e. nattered (or argued).

Ediswan

Established Member
Think they were confectionery used as part of calorie-controlled slimming plans. Disappeared late 1980s/early 1990s.
If I recall correctly, the UK 'Ayds' were savoury biscuits, a 'meal substitute'. I had never come across the US version until this thread.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
If I recall correctly, the UK 'Ayds' were savoury biscuits, a 'meal substitute'. I had never come across the US version until this thread.
Butterscotch flavoured toffee cubes, as I recall. Don't remember them ever being biscuits. Maybe you're thinking of a different brand.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
There was a brand called Insignia that came out as a rival to Lynx. I still remember the song from their TV ad :

"Insignia's got everything
Shampoo and shower gel
Deodorant and aftershave
For one all over smell"

I don't think it lasted long. Lynx was the winner!

"Because it's new insignia
Create a buzz, not a hum".

Waldgrun

I use to like the strips of Everlasting Toffee, which I recall used to cost 2d. Less than 1P. Pictured ones from a little bit later, the ones I remember where in a windowed wrapper!
The question is if they where Everlasting, where has mine gone?

Attachments

• Everlasting Toffee.jpg
    Everlasting Toffee.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 3

A small dedicated telephone table in the hallway complete with the local directory, Yellow Pages and the small book of dialling codes.
Knitted toilet roll covers.
Magazine racks.

AndrewE

Established Member
Does anyone else remember small savory biscuits that were a little ball of (ice-cream-type) wafer biscuit filled with a cheese sauce? I really liked them.
A

david1212

Established Member
A small dedicated telephone table in the hallway complete with the local directory, Yellow Pages and the small book of dialling codes.
Magazine racks.

Taking that one step further I wonder of many younger couples have have any books - I am specifically excluding children's books but thinking of a dictionary, recipe books, encyclopedia, first aid, a bible, atlas, maybe a Haynes manual and similar then thier hobbies and novels.

EDIT:
This really belongs in the once common thread and may well have been covered there but maybe books on some subjects that once were readily available now while not disappeared are hard to find / limited choice by lack of demand.

Last edited:

High Dyke

Established Member
Ammonium Carbonate, commonly known as volatile salts. I appreciate this may still be available for medicinal purposes, but we used to buy it from the chemist to use as a food additive. Not certain you would be able to buy a little bottle of it over the counter the same these days.

Darandio

Established Member
Sutherland's Spreads. The bacon one didn't taste anything like bacon, and they seem to have disappeared from shops around the time of either BSE or the horse meat scandal.

Sutherlands did indeed disappear but were brought back by younger members of the family I think. Doesn't seem like they have managed to get it back into the main supermarkets but it is available. https://www.starbargains.co.uk/brand/sutherlands

Gloster

Established Member
Taking that one step further I wonder of many younger couples have have any books - I am specifically excluding children's books but thinking of a dictionary, recipe books, encyclopedia, first aid, a bible, atlas, maybe a Haynes manual and similar then thier hobbies and novels.

EDIT:
This really belongs in the once common thread and may well have been covered there but maybe books on some subjects that once were readily available now while not disappeared are hard to find / limited choice by lack of demand.
I suspect that there are quite a few houses where the only books are tie-ins with TV programmes, particularly cookery ones, that have been received as presents. Possibly an odd holiday guide or two, but that is it. Even thirty years ago I knew a couple who, other than a few DIY and cookery books thar they had been given, had no other books than football biographies and the like that he had been given by his grandmother: as he never read them, they just stood in a neat row on a shelf. And both members of this couple had clerical jobs.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I use to like the strips of Everlasting Toffee, which I recall used to cost 2d. Less than 1P. Pictured ones from a little bit later, the ones I remember where in a windowed wrapper!
The question is if they where Everlasting, where has mine gone?
Speaking of toffee, Sharp's Toffee, made in Maidstone, Kent by Edward Sharp and Son claimed to be the world's largest manufacturer of such a century ago. It was taken over by Trebor about fifty years ago and eventually known as Trebor Sharps. The factory, next to Maidstone West Station, was still operational when I worked in Kent's county town in the early 1980s. By coincidence, where I worked a bit further up the Medway was in a large family house now divided into office space that had been Sir Edward Sharp's home. To be honest, now being owned by the cash-strapped Probation Service, every expense had been spared in the conversion work, so it did still seem like a very old-fashioned family home.I'm not a toffee connoisseur but I remember their toffee and it was very creamy. Apparently a Sharps Toffee Liqueur is now made by the Maidstone Distillery, but the old firm went into liquidation in 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.