• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What to you describe as an "Old Train"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thenorthern

Established Member
With the talk of withdraws of stock from the late 1990s and possibly the early 2000s I was wondering what to you would you describe as an old train?

For me it's always been anything built before privatisation as there was a noticeable difference (or to me there was) of the trains after privatisation particularly to DMU design and in particular with the interiors. The class 170s for example feel more like more recently built trains than they do to the 165s or at least to me they do.

What to you is an old train?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mmh

Established Member
For me it's always been anything built before privatisation as there was a noticeable difference (or to me there was) of the trains after privatisation particularly to DMU design and in particular with the interiors. The class 170s for example feel more like more recently built trains than they do to the 165s or at least to me they do.
I'd say it's far less clear cut that that. In particular with your example the 170 is a clear descendent of the latter networker builds.

Other examples include 175/180 being incredibly similar to mk3 coaches.

The early builds in the privatised era owed a lot to what had gone before, which is unsurprising, most were designed by companies that had either previously been nationalised or built trains for BR, built in workshops that had previously built BR trains.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Concur that anything was running before the completion of BR's privatisation may possibly now be considered as "old". If my maths is correct, such rolling stock will now be at least 25+ years old, and I'd include "refurbished" stock here.

(Which maybe begs the question, is anything running on a GB heritage line which is less than 25 years old?)

6Gman

Established Member
With the talk of withdraws of stock from the late 1990s and possibly the early 2000s I was wondering what to you would you describe as an old train?

One where to open the door from the inside you have to lower the window using a leather strap before leaning out to use the handle.

TRAX

Established Member
Any box on wheels that excites hormones of the members of these forums.

gaillark

Openable windows / no aircon / operated under BR etc
Refurbishment of BR stock has given the impression of modernity to many passengers when refurbished stock was introduced some were under the impression it was a new train.
There is a bit of modern stock operating that feels an 'old train' such as the Corby 360's with tatty interiors. I would even dare to include the newer 800's on GWR.
But if you really want to include a really old train then the recently withdrawn former Island Line stock: That WAS old. 313's and 507/508 are in with a shout. Purely age of a train is deceptive like humans as somebody who is aged 25 may look far older and equally somebody who is 50 can look much younger.

DM352

Class 150. More old and worn looking as used heavily due to limited other units available. Plus should have been made as three car for replacing moslty three car first generation units.

If they were a road vehicle would be A to E reg!

_SHR_

150s and 153s. Now the Pacers are gone, those two classes are looking very dated.

AlastairFraser

Established Member
Anything post Mark 3 is modern. Anything before that is old imho. I was born post millennium though, so I may be being a little generous with my definition of modern. Anything that has open saloon carriage design and power doors is definitely modern (there are no Mark3s left with slam doors now I think).

Class360/1

I’d say trains that have…
.Hopper ventilation
.No air con
.Ashbourne seats
…Are old

Trainfan2019

Class 156 would be my choice. Apart from the large accessible toilet addition, everything else feels old.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Anything around when i was a teenage trainspotter in the mid-80s. These days mostly Growlers and Grids.

AM9

Veteran Member
All MKIIIs, 'PEP' derivatives and certain early vehicles from the privatised era, e.g. many ofthe Networker derivatives and 323s. Basically Electrostars/Turbostars are the first large class of 'modern' stock, closely followed by Desiro UKs.
The 769s have never been sold as 'new', but new to the service that they were operating on. As a passenger experience, they are certainly 'aeons' more modern than the 150s and 142s that they have been replacing.

xotGD

Established Member
Anything built before the Class 56. These were the first locos I considered to be "new".

Mikey C

Established Member
I don't think any multiple unit feels "old" in the same way that a slam door train does. Yes a 313 or 150 is an elderly train, but the basic layout with 1/3 2/3 sliding doors and a wide entrance, and an open saloon is the same as a modern 701 or 195.

In the same way, a Routemaster bus with its open platform feels like it's from another time, whereas a Fleetline or Atlantean or especially a Leyland National doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.