• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What type of TV do you have?

My TV type is...

• Sky Glass

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sky Stream (Puck)

• BT TV (via aerial)

• TalkTalk TV

• BT TV (via IPTV)

• Google TV (built in to TV)

• Saorview (built in to TV)

• Saorview (set top box)

• Saorsat (built in to TV)

• Saorsat (set top box)

• Now TV Smartbox (with Freeview)

• Now TV Smartstick (without Freeview)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steddenm

With all the TVs out there now and it all getting a bit much, it would be interesting to know how we all watch TV these days.

For this I'm only including physical sets or set top boxes - not streaming services such as Netflix, itvX etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alxndr

Established Member
We physically have a TV screen as it was inherited by my partner from their gran, which may have some form of Freeview/Freesat built in, as I believe most have one or the other, but I have no idea if it actually does or which. It's been turned on once for a couple of minutes (to check if it works) and that's it.

pdq

Strictly speaking, my TV type is Freeview and Freesat as it has dual tuners, but I only use aerial (and streaming services) not satellite.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
The poll would have been better if more than one option could be checked.

All the tellies in my house all have Freeview built-in, but I have a BT-supplied YouView box in the living room (no BT subscription) and a Chromecast plugged for streaming. The BT box is still occasionally used for recording.

In my bedroom I use the built-in Freeview and have a second Chromecast for streaming.

Gloster

Established Member
None. I have enough books to keep me going until I die and the radio is permanently tuned to Radio 3.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Freesat set-top box. An old second hand Humax recorder

TV has Freeview built in, but it's not tuned in due to no outdoor aerial

Last edited:

dgl

Established Member
HUMAX Freesat Freetime+ HD box plus Freeview and satellite (unused) built into the TV, the TV being a Smart 4K HDR Toshiba branded Vestel.
Don't think that the satellite input on the TV is actually Freesat (so no EPG or standard channel numbers) but just able to receive any free channels.

Non Multi

I have 4 boxes under the TV, I'll list them in the order of highest usage:
  • Fujitsu Esprimo Q556 'ultra small form factor' PC, for streaming content that requires a traditional web browser.
  • Digital Terrestrial Television: Humax YouView 'G4', BT branded personal video recorder.
  • Roku 2 streaming box.
  • Denon DVD player.

DelayRepay

Established Member
My main TV has Freeview and some streaming apps built in. Connected to it is a BT TV Youview box which doesn't see much use these days, apart from recording occasionally.

My dining room TV is Freeview enabled, but not connected to an aerial. It's connected to a Roku box which allows streaming through various apps. It's also connected to a Chromecast although that's rarely used.

My bedroom TV is not even plugged in. I don't watch TV in bed unless I'm ill. I only have a TV in there because someone was going to take a small TV to the tip even though it was in full working order, so I rescued it. If I do want to use it, I'd have to take either the Roku box or Chromecast upstairs.

gmaguire

When I last had a TV (2018) it was non-HD Sky connected to a Sony Trinitron from the mid ‘90s. These days my TV watching is mostly done on YouTube, with the rest being videos pulled from DVDs and Blurays.

AM9

Veteran Member
Apart from 2 smart TVs with Freeview built in, I have an ageing Humax STB (it's a bit flaky but with modified firmware I can extract recorded HD programmes and store them for general use on PCs etc.). I also have a homemade streamer using a Raspberry Pi which gives a single channel stream via the LAN and can record any free to air channel (including Sky freebies) on it's own memory.

nlogax

Established Member
Two devices here. A Sony Bravia w/Android connected to an external aerial although I rarely bother with free to air content. The other is a JVC Fire TV which is excellent, a proper bargain when bought a couple of years ago. Most of my usage is consuming free or paid-for content Prime or YT or the movies stored on a local nas. Both sets are also great 4K displays for the PS5.

gg1

Established Member
Sky Q and Amazon Prime via a Firestick, watched on a 'dumb' TV (HD but over 10 years old when smart TVs were still the exception rather the rule) I don't know if the TV has built in freeview, if it has we've never used it.

Also have a smart BluRay player, we use that for streaming services other than Prime - usually subscribe for a month or two to binge watch everything we want to watch from the streaming service in question then cancel the subscription

Lewlew

My TV has Freeview and Freesat built in but I only currently use the Freeview due to no dish in my current rented place.

But it’s also a Smart TV and I spend more time watching YouTube, Amazon Prime, iPlayer etc etc on instead of live TV.

jfollows

Established Member
65" Panasonic to replace the one I broke earlier in the year, coupled with Virgin 1080i HD channels, so watching the cricket is good. Overkill really. Freeview stopped working so the aerial is either pointing the wrong way again or trees are in the way or something, but I can do without now.

PeterY

Established Member
I so seldom watch live TV. I've watched more since the world cup started than I've watched all of this year. :D

anamyd

On Moderation
50" 4K LED-backlit LCD in my lounge as a huge monitor for my PC, which I watch any "TV" on. Keyboard on lap and mouse on sofa armrest when needed. Big sound system hooked up.

Ediswan

Established Member
For the screen, whatever Currys had in stock on 23rd March 2020. The incumbent hardware was failing and ... you can look up the date.

For the broadcast source, a Freesat HD box. Briefly used Freeview for C4 HD, but that found its way back on to Freesat.

mikeg

Established Member
I have 2015 Sony Bravia android TV, just one year too old to receive the upgrade to Google TV. It has Freeview, YouView (which annoyingly is a seperate mode that disables satellite and recording) and a generic satellite receiver that doesn't conform to the Freesat standard. I use it in standard mode so I can get FTA satellite broadcasts from Astra 2/Eurobird, amazingly the 4k demo transmissions show fine (it's a 4k, 3D tv). It's not the best example, the CPU is painfully slow and there's a few dead pixels, but I'm not replacing it until it bites the dust, mainly because of the lack of availability of 3D televisions nowadays and the expense for something I have on less than 5 hours a week on average.

Watching Jurassic World in 3D is really worth it! Though on satellite the channels are in a semi jumbled up order.

Status
Not open for further replies.