• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What video games do you like playing?

blueberry11

My favourite video games are something to do with farm sim. This means that Stardew Valley is one my favourite and also some of the best. Other farm sim games that I have played and liked include My Time at Portia and its sequel, My Time at Sandrock, Coral Island and Sun Haven. I have spent at least 30 hours in these games that I listed above and spent over 300 hours on Stardew.

I have also liked playing Minecraft, Terraria, Geometry Dash, Bloons TD 6 and Undertale.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wilbers

Give Pinball FX a go (and if on Steam you can use the packs to get the older FX3 version of tables included for often the same price), its been my most played game of 2023. Currently it has 123 tables - its like 123 games in one (and 3 of those are free).

Also currently going through Starfield that I got in October with my new PC. Hogwarts Legacy is in the queue after that - got that one in the Steam winter sale.

Iskra

Established Member
I’m very much into War Thunder at the moment which I’ve got pretty good at (I prefer Naval and Tanks), with bits of the Total War series (Empire, Rome 2 and Warhammer 2 being my favourites) and occasionally Train Sim too.

bleeder4

I mainly play RPGs, or games that are very heavily story-driven. The Elder Scrolls and Fallout games, Baldur's Gate 3, CyberPunk, the Witcher games, the Horizon games etc. They're each massive games so take me several weeks to complete. But I do it as a form of escapism. It's just nice to get out of the real world and immerse myself in another world.

Bevan Price

Established Member
I'm not into video games, etc. I prefer something like word games (e.g. Scrabble), or card games. Have tried chess, but they are all programmed way above my level of chess skill - I prefer something to give me at least a little chance of an occasional win.

Also, I am not interested in games where the main/only aim is to keep killing people/things.

Trackman

Established Member
Have tried chess, but they are all programmed way above my level of chess skill - I prefer something to give me at least a little chance of an occasional win.
Try chess.com and sign up for free, you can play a bot or even a live player at your skill level (which it will work eventually) even if you are an absolute beginner.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
As a teenager / young adult I was really into the Metal Gear Solid series - specifically the ‘classic‘ MGS, MGS2 and MGS3 which were PlayStation / Playstation 2 titles. Marketed as ‘tactical espionage action’ they took the traditional third-person shooter concept and turned it on its head - there are strong disincentives to engaging in combat, its all about moving through an environment unseen by the enemy - referred to as Sneaking. With (very) in-depth story driven narrative and a strong anti-nuclear message, they were interesting games to grow up with. I still indulge in the odd play through for nostalgia on occasion. The later titles (MGS4, MGSV, plus some infill titles on portable devices) massively increased the visuals and gameplay quality but lost something in terms of story.

”Snake? Snake?! SNAAAAKE!”

JamesT

Established Member
I'm not into video games, etc. I prefer something like word games (e.g. Scrabble), or card games. Have tried chess, but they are all programmed way above my level of chess skill - I prefer something to give me at least a little chance of an occasional win.

Also, I am not interested in games where the main/only aim is to keep killing people/things.
Have a look at boardgamearena.com . Lots of implementations of boardgames. Mostly they don't have computer opponents so you're up against real people. Premium games need someone with a paid subscription to set up the table, but you can get quite far with a free account to try it out.

ComUtoR

Established Member
”Snake? Snake?! SNAAAAKE!”

(YouTube link for the new metal gear game trailer for the PS5, coming soon)

Gonna be amazing.... I agree about the evolution of the series I've always wanted a remake of the first game and that scene in MGS5 gave me the literal chills.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was a gamer back when I was a kid, but not so much these days. My last few years of school holidays were spent alternating between playing football and networked computer games. Real-time strategy (RTS) games and simulations were generally my favourites, though I did like car racing games (especially the Need For Speed series), as well as football-related games.

I am not a gamer these days by any means, however one of my jobs is to oversee the playing of computer games. It's the least well paid job I do, but it is perhaps the most enjoyable! I do this for around 3 hours most weeks. This includes Red Alert (OpenRA) and Quake 3. Most weeks I do join in with a game of Red Alert. Today I took on four youngsters (4 vs 1) and I was only narrowly defeated. I do like the challenge of introducing a new generation of youngsters to classic computer games. This can be a very sociable thing, unlike modern games, where it seems to be based on people playing remotely from each other, with the underlying game often being free but having to pay for in-game purchases.

During the lockdowns of 2020-21, we did some OpenTTD and SimSig games through the forum, with other forum members (mostly people I'd already met in person). We did build some very intricate networks. I no longer have time to spare for that now, but it did make the Covid period a lot more tolerable than it otherwise would have been. I have kept the saved games.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member

(YouTube link for the new metal gear game trailer for the PS5, coming soon)

Gonna be amazing.... I agree about the evolution of the series I've always wanted a remake of the first game and that scene in MGS5 gave me the literal chills.

I’m reserving my judgement about the MGS3 remake - it’s the game I feel least-required an update, particularly as the PS3 remastering did such a good job visually. Also not a fan of Konami trying to money-spin the series without Hideo Kojima. (What they did to him and the studio was disgusting.)

A proper remake of the original would be something special. Whatever happened to the Movie?

Strathclyder

Established Member
I have owned a Nintendo Switch since May 2023 (getting on that bandwagon fairly late admittedly, as we're likely gonna see a successor announced sometime this year) and have built up a fairly sizable collection in the months since. It's been a rough year and a half for me, so it really has helped as a distraction and has been a portal of escapism during my lowest ebbs.

Naturally, Mario has featured prominently in my line-up, the first two games I went out and bought for my Switch (Mario Kart 8 Deluxe came bundled with it) were the two Mario+Rabbids titles: Kingdom Battle & Sparks of Hope. They were my introduction to RPGs as a genre and once I started playing, I found it hard to put the controller down. I've 100%-ed Sparks of Hope twice over and am pretty close to doing it a third time. Across all three save files I have for SoH, I've put over 150 hours total into it and I don't regret a single moment.

Other Switch games that I've been playing extensively in recent months are the Super Mario RPG remake, Paper Mario: The Origami King, Minecraft, Burnout Paradise Remastered & Luigi's Mansion 3. Other games in my collection that I've yet to really sink my teeth into include Kirby & The Forgotten Land, No Man's Sky & Hollow Knight, among quite a few others.

As far as legacy systems are concerned, I still own a slim PS3 (bought new) and a original 'fat' PS2 (bought off eBay for my wee brother and eventually passed onto me). I lost the controller for the latter a good few years ago and have been meaning to pick up a second-hand one for far too long; no other way for me to play Simpsons: Hit & Run, San Andreas or Burnout 3.

Last edited:

Thirteen

The first Metal Gear Solid was remade as Metal Gear Solid: The Two Snakes in 2004 on the GameCube.

Established Member
I don't play on my PlayStation 4 much because I don't really have the time, but Cities: Skylines is the one I'm playing at the moment when I do get the opportunity. Other games I enjoy playing are GTA V, Watch Dogs (original and Legion, couldn't gel with Watch Dogs 2) and my all time favourite franchise, The Last of Us. I used to play a lot of FIFA, but got bored of it a while ago and I refuse to buy what is basically the same game but with updated squads every year. FIFA 19 was the last edition I purchased, before that it was FIFA 09 for the XBOX 360 I had at the time. I'm not going to even think about buying a PlayStation 5 until there's at least three games I want to buy for it.

nlogax

Established Member
Would have thought my gaming days would cease into middle age but quite the opposite has happened. I managed to pick up a PS5 around release and it sees a lot of my time playing Red Dead Redemption 2, GTA Online, No Man's Sky and anything open world-y I can find. I tend to always have the latest Call of Duty on hand which can be quite cathartic. Plus a couple of TSW editions for when I'm looking to escape to other countries or time periods for rail travel.

During the pandemic I built my first new gaming PC for a decade or two in order to enjoy the return of MS Flight Simulator. At the same time I made the leap to VR so the combination has been a bit of a revelation for me. That allowed me to experience other VR titles such asH alf Life:Alyx, Derail Valley, DCS and VTOL VR all of which it's easy to get lost inside. Add into that Google Earth VR which needs to be experienced by as many people as possible.

Other bits..city building has always been a fun virtual hobby but life took my eye off the ball when the original Cities Skylines came out. I've just picked up CS2 so will give that a proper go. And I keep SimCity 4 on my work laptop for when there's a quiet ten minutes while traveling.

I do also have a Switch but only use it for Virtua Racing, Mario Kart and Monopoly. Should really dust that down one day, right now it's in a drawer somewhere.

MasterSpenny

I like playing a range of video games on various consoles. I’ve been playing games on my Switch, PS4/5, Xbox One and 3DS. Currently on my Switch I’m playing through Minecraft without dying one (ie Hardcore, but it’s Bedrock version so it’s not an option). On my 3DS I’m doing Super Mario 64 DS. I haven’t been on the Xbox One/PlayStations for a while though.

D365

Veteran Member
Other bits..city building has always been a fun virtual hobby but life took my eye off the ball when the original Cities Skylines came out. I've just picked up CS2 so will give that a proper go. And I keep SimCity 4 on my work laptop for when there's a quiet ten minutes while traveling.

I do also have a Switch but only use it for Virtua Racing, Mario Kart and Monopoly. Should really dust that down one day, right now it's in a drawer somewhere.
Adult life has gotten in the way but I spent several years [and several thousand hours] active in the SimCity 4 community. Occasionally I try to check back in, it appears that the modding scene is still thriving!

I have put a few hundred hours into Cities Skylines on my gaming tower and on Switch. Cities Skylines 2 is on the todo list but again, life getting in the way :oops:

najaB

Veteran Member
Not sure it qualifies as a game, but I literally lose days when I get into Kerbal Space Program (KSP). The worst thing ever was when I discovered kOS - which combines two of my passions: space and programming.

My automated launch script is on its seventh iteration and can get a 'sensible' rocket into an almost perfectly circular orbit completely hands off, and the latest version of my landing script can soft land on an airless body within 500m or so of the target location.

Thirteen

I have a Switch Lite and mostly use it to for playing older titles on NSO. I am planning to get Super Mario Bros Wonder.

gomango

My favourite video games are something to do with farm sim. This means that Stardew Valley is one my favourite and also some of the best. Other farm sim games that I have played and liked include My Time at Portia and its sequel, My Time at Sandrock, Coral Island and Sun Haven. I have spent at least 30 hours in these games that I listed above and spent over 300 hours on Stardew.

I have also liked playing Minecraft, Terraria, Geometry Dash, Bloons TD 6 and Undertale.
Fall Guys for me! :lol:

blueberry11

Literally forgot to say I used to have a PS3/4, as well as a Nintendo DS/3DS until start of 2020. I have been playing some mario games, namely New Super Mario Bros and Mario Kart on both editions.

PC - I also used to be into games like CSGO (Counter Strike Global Offensive where I have over 400 hours), ETS2 (Euro Truck Simulator 2), Rocket League and Cities Skylines, which I have at least 50 hours in all these games but since mostly moved onto playing cozy and farm sim games like Stardew Valley (see also, opening post) as well as Undertale. I now mostly play games on Steam and occasionally on mobile. I may as well get Roots of Pacha, Disney Dreamlight Valley and Fae Farm in the foreseeable future (all farm sims), but the five farm games I currently have seem enough for now.

Sorcerer

I'm a PC (Steam) and PlayStation gamer with PS Plus. I usually play Tabletop Simulator (primarily Uno and Liar's Dice) with friends on the PC along with Train Simulator, EuroTruck, American Truck Sim, and even speedrun a few games myself as an occasional challenge, and on PS5 I just play whatever I can get at the moment, which recently has been a replay of Resident Evil 2 that I played a lot on PC and have been quite a fan of the Grand Theft Auto series despite not having any fix for 12 years by the time I get GTA VI (and with no hidden gem competition like Sleeping Dogs I can't get a substitute these days). I also love the recent World of Assassination trilogy with Hitman though, and I can't wait to see the publishers bring out their James Bond title along with the MGS3 remake mentioned earlier just because the original game was so good (I've not played myself it but I enjoy watching my friend play it).

Iskra

Established Member
I was a gamer back when I was a kid, but not so much these days. My last few years of school holidays were spent alternating between playing football and networked computer games. Real-time strategy (RTS) games and simulations were generally my favourites, though I did like car racing games (especially the Need For Speed series), as well as football-related games.

I am not a gamer these days by any means, however one of my jobs is to oversee the playing of computer games. It's the least well paid job I do, but it is perhaps the most enjoyable! I do this for around 3 hours most weeks. This includes Red Alert (OpenRA) and Quake 3. Most weeks I do join in with a game of Red Alert. Today I took on four youngsters (4 vs 1) and I was only narrowly defeated. I do like the challenge of introducing a new generation of youngsters to classic computer games. This can be a very sociable thing, unlike modern games, where it seems to be based on people playing remotely from each other, with the underlying game often being free but having to pay for in-game purchases.

During the lockdowns of 2020-21, we did some OpenTTD and SimSig games through the forum, with other forum members (mostly people I'd already met in person). We did build some very intricate networks. I no longer have time to spare for that now, but it did make the Covid period a lot more tolerable than it otherwise would have been. I have kept the saved games.
I used to love Red Alert as a youngster on my Playstation. I do have it on my Steam account but don't play it much. Another similar game from that era that I still play a bit of is one called Total Anhilation which was also great fun back in the day. It's great that you get paid to play. I'm not sure I agree that things are less social these days- a lot seem to play with headsets on and talk through those.

I don't play on my PlayStation 4 much because I don't really have the time, but Cities: Skylines is the one I'm playing at the moment when I do get the opportunity. Other games I enjoy playing are GTA V, Watch Dogs (original and Legion, couldn't gel with Watch Dogs 2) and my all time favourite franchise, The Last of Us. I used to play a lot of FIFA, but got bored of it a while ago and I refuse to buy what is basically the same game but with updated squads every year. FIFA 19 was the last edition I purchased, before that it was FIFA 09 for the XBOX 360 I had at the time. I'm not going to even think about buying a PlayStation 5 until there's at least three games I want to buy for it.
Would have thought my gaming days would cease into middle age but quite the opposite has happened. I managed to pick up a PS5 around release and it sees a lot of my time playing Red Dead Redemption 2,
I'm a PC (Steam) and PlayStation gamer with PS Plus. I usually play Tabletop Simulator (primarily Uno and Liar's Dice) with friends on the PC along with Train Simulator, EuroTruck, American Truck Sim, and even speedrun a few games myself as an occasional challenge, and on PS5 I just play whatever I can get at the moment, which recently has been a replay of Resident Evil 2 that I played a lot on PC and have been quite a fan of the Grand Theft Auto series despite not having any fix for 12 years by the time I get GTA VI (and with no hidden gem competition like Sleeping Dogs I can't get a substitute these days). I also love the recent World of Assassination trilogy with Hitman though, and I can't wait to see the publishers bring out their James Bond title along with the MGS3 remake mentioned earlier just because the original game was so good (I've not played myself it but I enjoy watching my friend play it).

, No Man's Sky and anything open world-y I can find. I tend to always have the latest Call of Duty on hand which can be quite cathartic. Plus a couple of TSW editions for when I'm looking to escape to other countries or time periods for rail travel.

During the pandemic I built my first new gaming PC for a decade or two in order to enjoy the return of MS Flight Simulator. At the same time I made the leap to VR so the combination has been a bit of a revelation for me. That allowed me to experience other VR titles such asH alf Life:Alyx, Derail Valley, DCS and VTOL VR all of which it's easy to get lost inside. Add into that Google Earth VR which needs to be experienced by as many people as possible.

I much preferred GTA before it went online, that's sapped the fun out of it a bit for me. Vice City & San Andreas were the classics in my opinion, but I did appreciate GTA3 somewhat and the even earlier 2D map versions were good fun :)

DarloRich

Veteran Member
  • Minecraft
  • Football Manager ( i have had every version of this and championship manager)
  • Open TTD

I also love Left for Dead but it is getting ancient these days!

I need a new laptop to really enjoy FM and Minecraft now. Both run but right on the edge.

Energy

Established Member
Watch Dogs (original and Legion, couldn't gel with Watch Dogs 2)
Really? I couldn't get with 1 but really liked 2 and Legion. Hoping Ubisoft do Watch Dogs 4 at some point.
Have a look at Anno 1800, you can usually find it on sale on Ubisoft Connect or Steam for around £12.50-15.

Established Member
I much preferred GTA before it went online, that's sapped the fun out of it a bit for me. Vice City & San Andreas were the classics in my opinion, but I did appreciate GTA3 somewhat and the even earlier 2D map versions were good fun :)

I'm not a fan of GTA Online either. It's spoiled GTAV, in my view.

Really? I couldn't get with 1 but really liked 2 and Legion. Hoping Ubisoft do Watch Dogs 4 at some point.

I don't think WD2 is a bad game, I just didn't get the story if I'm honest. For WD1 and Legion, I found their stories were much easier to follow and made them more engaging to play. It'd be great if a WD4 was made, I agree.

nlogax

Established Member
I'm not a fan of GTA Online either. It's spoiled GTAV, in my view.

A benefit of GTA Online is that the police are a lot easier going when it comes to things like stealing aircraft or vehicles in-game. Which I just then use to travel around the map, not really wanting to interact with other players.

Harvinder

I wish there was a Warhammer fantasy open world with Dragon age origins team setup. Really on my wish list!

Strathclyder

Established Member
Would have thought my gaming days would cease into middle age but quite the opposite has happened. I managed to pick up a PS5 around release and it sees a lot of my time playing Red Dead Redemption 2, GTA Online, No Man's Sky and anything open world-y I can find.
How is No Man's Sky, in terms of gameplay, replayabilty, performance (dependent on the platform you're using ofc) etc? I know it had a shaky start when it was first released, but I kinda drifted away from it until I picked it up pre-owned out of my local GAME store. Been meaning to sink my teeth into my copy for the Switch for months but Mario & Minecraft keep pulling me back in and distracting me lol

Last edited: