• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What video games do you like playing?

nlogax

Established Member
How is No Man's Sky, in terms of gameplay, replayabilty, performance (dependent on the platform you're using ofc) etc?

It's all fine on a PS5.. it's not particularly taxing from a performance perspective, nothing like, say, Fidelity mode on GTA where frames are noticeably missing in action. Playability is also easy, quick to get to grips with and no issues with the control system. Replayability is a different story though. Once I watched a few Starfield and Star Citizen clips in YT my hours in No Man's Sky started falling off. Grass is definitely greener there!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Strathclyder

Established Member
It's all fine on a PS5.. it's not particularly taxing from a performance perspective, nothing like, say, Fidelity mode on GTA where frames are noticeably missing in action. Playability is also easy, quick to get to grips with and no issues with the control system. Replayability is a different story though. Once I watched a few Starfield and Star Citizen clips in YT my hours in No Man's Sky started falling off. Grass is definitely greener there!
Noted, cheers. :) As I say, Minecraft keeps pulling me back in and stopping me from actually making a start on NMS (and the likes of Hollow Knight, which I heard really good things about before I picked it up).

TheSmiths82

The three games I play the most are: Open Tycoon, Cities Skylines (the original, I don't have a graphics card that is good enough to play CS2), and Hospital 2.0.

I do also occasionally play Commodore 64 and Amiga games as I am a Commodore fanboy.

Silver Cobra

The main game genres I play are racing games, RPGs (particularly JRPGs) and some Real-Time Strategy and Simulation games, playing these either on PS5 or my gaming PC. Unsurprisingly I'm playing Final Fantasy VII Rebirth at the moment (Final Fantasy VII was my first true JRPG experience way back in 1999 when I got my first Playstation, so I have a soft spot for all things FFVII), while also dabbling in Forza Horizon 5 and heavily-modded Fallout 4.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
I play a decent number of bus/train games on Roblox (like British Railway (250 hours played), Yapton and District, Manchester Retrolink). Most of my time playing games is spent there since it's free.
I (as of now) have 715 hours in BTD6.
Cities Skylines 1+2 (only 75h in 2) added together is 400 hours.

I only really play Minecraft when I have people to play it with, probably have a few hundred hours there.

In general I'd say Puzzle / Simulator are the main two genres of game I play.

Although plenty of games leave that kind of area such as, Among Us (66h played), Undertale (and Undertale Yellow, which I could only manage thanks to easy mode), Pokemon Games (given my username I think that's no surprise).

D365

Veteran Member
The comments above do make me yearn for the days when I had time… and the will… to carry on sitting at my computer after work. Cities Skylines [and SimCity 4 before it] were all-time greats for me, but Cities Skylines 2 has come at exactly the wrong time in my working life.

Jimini

Established Member
I bought a Nintendo Switch a year ago or so with the intention of trying some new stuff out. I have dabbled with Mario vs. Donkey Kong and the latest version of Mario Kart, but I do spend most of my time on it playing old SNES / NES / GameBoy games on it! '90s nostalgia action is just too appealing :lol:

brad465

Established Member
Bloons Tower Defense 6 is my top one, which unlike previous versions is interactive and features several competitive events.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
My one is Sid Meier's Civilization - Specifically Civilization 4 - which is now a very old game, but I've never really got into the more recent releases. The game has so many nuances and problem-solving challenges involved in building a civilization, protecting it from enemies and researching enough science to still keep me hooked even today, despite the graphics doubtless being very dated by today's standards.

And If I'm allowed a free plug, I also help run a monthly game-of-the-month competition in which people across the World independently play a Civ4 game, all starting with the same map and see who can get the 'best' victory. Competition at https://gotm.civfanatics.net/, and discussion forums about each game at https://forums.civfanatics.com/forums/civ4-game-of-the-month.165/. I don't think it'd be hard to deduce which person I am on the discussion forums ;) )

A long time ago I used to be addicted to Chris Sawyer's Transport Tycoon (I guess not surprisingly for a rail forums site :D ), but eventually lost interest because, although I loved the theme of that game, I found the gameplay just too limiting. To be fair, it must have been cutting edge when it was first released back in the 1990s. Sawyer later released a follow-up, Locomotion, but to my disappointment it was basically the same game, with all the same gameplay limitations and just slightly better graphics - and no longer cutting edge.

Miker15

At the moment, I'm into Satisfactory.
You build, create, explore. It's immersive and beautiful, with a great soundtrack. Progression is smooth. It's balanced so that there's creative freedom and choice. You need to find new ways to make things. Overall, it's a lot better than Foundry and Techtonica.
I play it with my friends almost every day, for at least two hours. Their servers pretty much suck when you play as a group. Slow and laggy. We rent a server from SuperCraft for $8. For us, it's totally worth it because of the stable connection, and the fact that the server runs nonstop gives us the freedom to play whenever we want.

Last edited:

najaB

Veteran Member
At the moment, I'm into Satisfactory.
You build, create, explore. It's immersive and beautiful, with a great soundtrack. Progression is smooth. It's balanced so that there's creative freedom and choice. You need to find new ways to make things. Overall, it's a lot better than Foundry and Techtonica.
You're the second person to recommend that recently. I must take a look at it.

JohnMcL7

Satisfactory is an absolutely amazing game and very much lives up to the name, what I like about the game is that it's not fussy about how you build anything so you can make an absolutely mess of a factory line which you don't get penalised for at all. However I found as I progressed through the game I became more focused on making more optimised layouts and making them look better etc. - I like that the game lets you do this all as you want. I played the game in early access and been toying with getting back into it now they've made a lot of changes but also wary about getting sucked into it.

At the moment I'm playing My Time at Sandrock which is a sequel to My Time at Portia and their games I feel that have gone a bit under the radar. It's sort of a cross between Stardew Valley, Animal Crossing and Satisfactory, you've moved into a run down workshop in a small desert town and as a 'builder' you need to assemble increasingly complex items for the town. So you need to harvest resources, build machines and gradually increase your complexity but there's a social element to storylines and a lot of flexibility in the cosmetics as well so you can focus on what you want. It's a nice chill game to play and what I particularly like is that unlike some games it keeps everything quite convenient, for example if you place storage chests for your items when you open any one chest you can tab through to any other chest rather than having to tediously go to each chest to find what you need. Furthermore the machines on your property can all automatically take items from any chest if it's on your property so it stops it all getting annoying.

At the other end of the spectrum I dip in and out of Returnal which is an incredible third person bullet hell shooter which has stunning visuals and audio. The game has a steep difficulty curve but the fast movement, responsive controls and satisfying game combat makes it hard to put down.

Pinza-C55

I play Fallout 76 on PC. The game had a rough launch in November 2018 but most of the bugs have been ironed out and it is famous for its friendly community and how helpful experienced players are to new players. Camp building is a lot of fun.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
I just discovered a chrome extension that lets you play old flash games which might be useful to people who miss playing some games that are now locked behind flash since no-one's updated them.

Right now I'm playing Building Rush on Coolmathgames, which is a simple game but I enjoy it, and it's great to be able to play it without ads (unlike their app) :)
Turns out Building Rush was adapted to work on Coolmathgames some time between when I last checked and when I installed the chrome extension, tried playing building rush 2 and it doesn't work.