• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

What's your latest acquisition?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

sprinterguy

Established Member

Bertone

Not too exciting but couldn’t resist this Dapol model of a local firm‘s wagon. The company was in business for 92 years before it closed it’s doors in 2022.
Ended up as a builders merchant.IMG_6864.jpeg

D1511

Very nice. Is the 60 missing a nameplate?
You can just see the Ben Nevis nameplate decal on it, but it also came with the etched ones. Some 60s are named after much nicer Scottish mountains than Ben Nevis though, so I may have to email Steve at Railtec for a Suilven. Stac Pollaidh or a Ben More Assynt nameplates and numbers set, all of which are much better days out!

20240112_232127.jpg

As a modeller of the 1993 scene, I suffer constantly from that particular affliction haha.

This is a recent development for me.....I was firmly BR Blue to begin with, but the appeal of triple grey, inter-city and Dutch liveries was too much to resist! And I still love 90s.....I will often walk down to Bletchley station to watch 4S88 Felixstowe Coatbridge pass with two of them on, and they just missed the BR Blue era.
It's only a 10 year difference, so I can just change a few road vehicles and signs on the layout depending on what era's locos are running......otherwise buildings etc will be good for both!
But then again, there is always Rule 1 of course!

Ah, I once owned an earlier Hornby version of that loco, in its later Rail Express Systems livery
I have my eye on 90019 in that livery ;)

Last edited:

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
I was firmly BR Blue to begin with .. I will often walk down to Bletchley station to watch 4S88 Felixstowe Coatbridge pass
1978 to 1989, I lived near Linslade Tunnel. My school faced the WCML near Leighton Buzzard Station. Memories of the Rail Blue years, through to early sector years.

Rats double heading Freightliners, Novelty and Sans Pareil in their Rocket 150 garb, 87006 in dark grey. "Roarers" a-plenty. The APT during its brief spells in revenue service.

Regular weekend jaunts to Bletchley; and occasionally on a Derby or a BRCW DMU, over to Bedford Midland.
Radlett-Stewartby "bin-liner" (its distinctive green containers) with 58 up front; or decrepit ZHV wagons, with locos almost as tired-sounding.

Last edited:

D1511

Not too exciting but couldn’t resist this Dapol model of a local firm‘s wagon. The company was in business for 92 years before it closed it’s doors in 2022.
Ended up as a builders merchant.View attachment 150277
Nice! Corn and coal is quite an unusual business combination! But it's always nice to have something local on your layout and Dapol wagons are certainly good models.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Latest acquisition....

G Scale NOHAB by Piko.View attachment 150680
Fabulous :) Summer 1986 I holidayed on Funen (Denmark's middle island) - trips to Nyborg to see the plethora of MX and MY diesels (like your model) on shed; and to watch the inter-island trains cautiously boarding the car/train ferry. I have a photo of DSB's "silver bullet" (an ex-TEE unit) doing that very manoeuvre.

D1511

Ooh nice! I like that RES livery in particular!

Since you brought up RES....
20240125_190856.jpg

Also, this is my new cheapskate approach to building my fleet.....! A box of bodies to swap over!

20240125_191027.jpg

Last edited:

Ted633

Anyone got a new Hornby 4Vep yet? Is the motor in the saloon bit of the MBS or the guard's baggage compartment? If the saloon, is it easy to turn the body the other way round?
Mines just arrived. Had a quick look and can confirm the motor is in the guards compartment (windows blacked out). It's also pretty damn heavy, so shouldn't have the traction issues of the earlier version. Will have a proper look at it later when I get time and will post some pictures

reddragon

Established Member
Mines just arrived. Had a quick look and can confirm the motor is in the guards compartment (windows blacked out). It's also pretty damn heavy, so shouldn't have the traction issues of the earlier version. Will have a proper look at it later when I get time and will post some pictures
Mine growled! Sold it.

Ted633

Ran the VEP in earlier on this afternoon. Runs well, no issues anywhere on my layout which is always nice. Colour reproduction is fine as far as I can tell, but will weather it up a bit when it gets warmer. Definitely looks the part far better than the previous release.
The only gripe, which unfortunately is a hangover from the previous model, is the indicator blinds. They are still stickers. The leading end (route number) is fine, however the trailing edge with double blanks + red LED leaves a bit to be desired. May attempt to fashion a double red at some point.

IMG_20240126_143759.jpg

IMG_20240126_143822.jpg

And I couldn't really resist. A Southern Region post privatisation line up

IMG_20240126_144357.jpg

IMG_20240126_144434.jpg

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
My 2-VEPs arrived today so will open tomorrow. Hope Hornby have got the cab windows right.... from @Ted633 pics above I fear not... o_O :'(

Just unpacked my SWT 4VEP and had a quick look. Overall, seems to be a reasonably good model but the cab front still isn't right; the curvature of the cab windows/jumper recesses just isn't there; the headcode box looks too small and the gangway connection seems to stick out too far.

But hey... it looks like an SWT 4VEP and looks very smart.... 20240127_121153.jpg

Last edited:

D1511

Another purchase from eBay....after a sensible offer was accepted, although I still paid over the odds......but IMHO 47s look smart in this livery and this one doesn't come up often.

20240131_185453.jpg

Unfortunately it will need to be a Rule 1 loco .....my layout running dates are Jan 81 and Jan 92, so this falls in between. In 1981 it was still 47080 but by 1992 it had gone through a further iteration to 47838 and was in IC swallow livery by then. So it's a bit of a misfit amongst the rest of my fleet, although quite a nice looking one!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Another purchase from eBay....after a sensible offer was accepted, although I still paid over the odds......but IMHO 47s look smart in this livery and this one doesn't come up often.

View attachment 151474

Unfortunately it will need to be a Rule 1 loco .....my layout running dates are Jan 81 and Jan 92, so this falls in between. In 1981 it was still 47080 but by 1992 it had gone through a further iteration to 47838 and was in IC swallow livery by then. So it's a bit of a misfit amongst the rest of my fleet, although quite a nice looking one!

Nice. I’ve considered getting that model myself a couple of times. As your N gauge therapist I think you should turn it into a Scottish one with ploughs… ;)

(Photo by Andy Thompson of 47492 at Carlisle) mmm dirty…

D1511

Nice. I’ve considered getting that model myself a couple of times. As your N gauge therapist I think you should turn it into a Scottish one with ploughs… ;)

That's a very nice prototype weathering example for me to try (and fail!) to copy! I might just get myself some West Coast Models snowploughs off eBay now......!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
That's a very nice prototype weathering example for me to try (and fail!) to copy! I might just get myself some West Coast Models snowploughs off eBay now......!

Do it do it!

D1511

Do it do it!
Sadly, they seem to have sold out of 47 snowploughs in N gauge for the moment (lots of 26, 33 and 37 ploughs available though), but Steve at Railtec won't let me down on the number and ScotRail decals! And a lack of snowploughs won't hold up the weathering.......it's the queue of locos and rolling stock needing the same treatment that will do that! If I had only had this size of backlog during lockdown......! :D
A nice gent in the NGS who is selling some of his stuff is popping 16 VGAs and a 86 in the post for me as well, so I'm going to have to make a concerted effort to catch up! Stopping buying stuff would help with that of course! ;)

devon_belle

Very nice! And some nice RES TPOs in the background too! :D They'll go nicely with your 47 further up the thread.......or indeed my 90! :D
Good spot! The RES Super BGs have been living in the goods sidings while I wait for some more storage boxes to arrive. The 47 does indeed go beautifully with them; the VT 47 goes equally well with some new tooling Mk2s I picked up a while back.

Behind them are some Yeoman (revised) JHAs, same situation. They will see much use when Revolution ships their 59s, hopefully in the next week or two :D

sprinterguy

Established Member

Given the comment from the photographer and the condition of the paintwork of that loco and the one to the left (47231, with BR blue showing prominently through shabby RfD livery), I did wonder whether that was a final photo on a scrap run; but no, both survived in service for another three years or so (and 47492 survived out of use at Carnforth until cut for scrap exactly a year ago).

Based on the surmised date, both must instead have been en route to a repaint: 47492 into RES, 47231 into Freightliner grey.

37431 "Bullidae" (pictured below on the right) is the latest addition to my fleet: A resprayed and lightly weathered version of one of Bachmann's initial class 37 releases from twenty years ago, that corrects the pearl white lower bodyside of the as-released model, that was an EWS-era affectation and hence erroneous as the loco's Shell name was removed at the end of April 1993.

The appearance of the class 37s in my fleet is based on how they were around spring 1993, so nameplates but no ploughs is correct for this recent Inverness reallocation. 37404 "Ben Cruachan" on the left, another Bachmann renumber, is correctly ploughed up.
20240131_224548.jpg