• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

When Will It All Go Wrong For The Tories/ Johnson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
No its common decency which your hero Johnson lacks.
I wonder if Errol Flynn had similar problems in his heyday? Did Robert Maxwell regard "common decency" as an attribute?

Something to cheer up all you Labour Party supporters on the thread is that the Labour Party still proudly holds the record for most by-elections lost in a single day, these being three in number on 28th May 1968, when they lost Acton, Dudley and Meriden....all to the Conservatives..:p:p:p

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Well neither ever held the post of Prime Minister of Great Britain and Northern Ireland so who cares?
Just nominated those as being "larger than life" characters, just like Johnson.....:)

OK then, go one notch higher than Prime Minister, such as a ruling monarch. Was Henry VIII imbued with "common decency" with his spouse problems and the Dissolution of the Monasteries and the subsequent selling-off of great architectural houses of worship? Or do you consider Partygate to be a far greater offence than that?

Last edited:

windingroad

OK then, go one notch higher than Prime Minister, such as a ruling monarch. Was Henry VIII imbued with "common decency" with his spouse problems and the Dissolution of the Monasteries and the subsequent selling-off of great architectural houses of worship? Or do you consider Partygate to be a far greater offence than that?
With the greatest of respect, absolutely nothing you're saying here is relevant in the slightest to a discussion about governance in 2022.

windingroad

Quite impressive whataboutery though.
The fact that defenders of this government are now unironically going back half a millennium to find someone (a man with six wives, no less) they perceive to be less morally compromised is really beyond parody at this stage.
I bet tyrannosaurus rex didn't have common decency either.
Not to mention the asteroid that killed them! Johnson isn't responsible for any extinction level events so what are you complaining about?

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Quite impressive whataboutery though.

I bet tyrannosaurus rex didn't have common decency either.
Whataboutery is a regular occurrence in this thread, though. The moment that the Dear Leader is criticised it's "oooooh, what about Keir Starmer" or "Labour did this". We're expected to come up with evidence to back up every single opinion, yet when the same people pontificate about other party leaders it doesn't seem to matter any more.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Whataboutery is a regular occurrence in this thread, though. The moment that the Dear Leader is criticised it's "oooooh, what about Keir Starmer" or "Labour did this". We're expected to come up with evidence to back up every single opinion, yet when the same people pontificate about other party leaders it doesn't seem to matter any more.
It does prove the old adage that history does have an uncanny ability to repeat itself.

With regards to "whataboutery" in terms of matters political in 2022, you only need to see "Prime Minister's Question Time" to see examples of that being bandied about from both Front Bench sides of the House.

Last edited:

daodao

Established Member
Partygate is a trivial matter in the big scheme of things. Bojo hasn't changed, and the Tory MPs/members and the British electorate who chose him to be PM in 2019 knew what his negative attributes were when they made their decision. They will have the opportunity to defenestrate him in due course, should they wish to do so, in summer 2023 (for Tory MPs/members) or at the subsequent general election (if he remains PM until then). In the meantime, those who are hostile to him should shut up, and allow him to get on with the day job.

Last edited:

The Ham

Established Member
With the greatest of respect, absolutely nothing you're saying here is relevant in the slightest to a discussion about governance in 2022.

Indeed, what was politically acceptable/not acceptable changes all the time. For instance you don't need to go too far back to find that an MP having an affair or having tried drugs was as significant thing. Now not so much.

Partygate is a trivial matter in the big scheme of things. Bojo hasn't changed, and the Tory MPs/members and the British electorate who chose him to be PM in 2019 knew what his negative attributes were when they made their decision. They will have the opportunity to defenestrate him in due course, should they wish to do so, in summer 2023 (for Tory MPs/members) or at the subsequent general election (if he remains PM until then). In the meantime, those who are hostile to him should shut up, and allow him to get on with the day job.

I suspect that many didn't fully know all this negative attributes.

For example, whilst it's been fairly well known about his relationship with women; was it known to what lengths he would try and help them (for instance the recent news/not news story about trying to get his then mistress a high paid job).

If Boris can't get on with being PM because of the news stories about his behaviour, then maybe something should change so that they PM can get on with their job.

If I wasn't able to do my job because I wasn't sleeping enough then it's right that those who can see that tell me that something needs to change. How is it any different to those who can see that Boris isn't acting as he should telling him that things need to change?

The (slightly extreme) alternative is that there can be no negative news stories about the PM until an election is called. I suspect that wouldn't lead to good policy or leaders.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Well neither ever held the post of Prime Minister of Great Britain and Northern Ireland so who cares?
Let us examine a matter of a 20th century British Prime Minister who was not "whiter than the driven snow" in terms of personal morality. I refer to David Lloyd George.

Indeed, what was politically acceptable/not acceptable changes all the time. For instance you don't need to go too far back to find that an MP having an affair or having tried drugs was as significant thing.
That being the case, why have the need then for 19th century morality standards in the year of Our Lord 2022?

Cdd89

Established Member
Also if the Conservatives did win a majority at the next election does anyone think they may try to effectively ban strikes in services deemed 'essential' railways being the obvious one but maybe schools and NHS too
I would not disagree with restricting strikes in essential services, as long as it’s not damaging to workers. I don’t think you have to be right wing to think this either — disruption from strikes harms the least well paid the worst.

Pendulum arbitration, despite its own disadvantages, seems like a better option to me.

This sort of change is unlikely to come from Labour since it would weaken the unions’ profile; but I guess the Lib Dems might consider it.

edwin_m

Veteran Member

So you suggest we all put up and shut up until voting time and let them do what they like? Johnson and his motley crew need to be called out at every opportunity, not allowed to duck and spin unchallenged so everyone forgets what has been done.

People may have loved Johnson's roguish behaviour in the London Mayor era but by the time of the 2019 election, his many failings were obvious to anyone who chose to look. He was seen by many as a less bad choice than Corbyn, and by the misguided individuals who wanted to "get Brexit done" as the person most likely to do so.

nw1

Established Member
In the Book of Statutes, where would I find your assertion that Johnson in his capacity of Prime Minister has this stated resignation obligation? In what year did your researches find when this was entered into the written text?

Irrelevant to my argument, as I'm sure you realise: it's apparent to me that the position of Johnson right now is similar to (arguably worse than) Thatcher in 1990 or Blair in 2007. In both cases the incumbent was seen as a liability in terms of their party winning the next election.

Or are you arguing that an incumbent prime minister should remain in office in perpetuity, no matter how many bad things they have done, unless they are voted out of office in a general election, lose a vote of no confidence, or commit an imprisonable offence?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Irrelevant to my argument, as I'm sure you realise: it's apparent to me that the position of Johnson right now is similar to (arguably worse than) Thatcher in 1990 or Blair in 2007. In both cases the incumbent was seen as a liability in terms of their party winning the next election.

Or are you arguing that an incumbent prime minister should remain in office in perpetuity, no matter how many bad things they have done, unless they are voted out of office in a general election, lose a vote of no confidence, or commit an imprisonable offence?
As long as an incumbent Conservative Party Prime Minister abides by the Rules Appertaining, then there is nothing but the internal machinations of his own party can manipulate for a 12-month period after a vote of confidence has been held and the Prime Minister had achieved a majority in that said vote of confidence. This is all I will say on that matter.

The fact that defenders of this government are now unironically going back half a millennium to find someone (a man with six wives, no less) they perceive to be less morally compromised is really beyond parody at this stage.
Though to be fair to Henry VIII, there was according to an old conundrum that if you ever go to St Ives, you might meet a man with seven wives....:D

Last edited:

nw1

Established Member
In the meantime, those who are hostile to him should shut up, and allow him to get on with the day job.
Quite. The problem with western liberal democracies is that people do not respect their leaders enough. Particularly alpha-males such as His Excellency Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson Esq. He was educated at Eton and Oxford, and has a line of ancestry from German royalty, don't you know. Thus he's better than us mere plebs, and we should indeed know our place.

;)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Quite. The problem with western liberal democracies is that people do not respect their leaders enough. Particularly alpha-males such as His Excellency Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson Esq. He was educated at Eton and Oxford, and has a line of ancestry from German royalty, don't you know. Thus he's better than us mere plebs, and we should indeed know our place.

;)
Well noticed about the line from German ancestry, but since a certain Royal family in residence in Britain also has German ancestry, there now seems a precedent for "those at the top". Howsoever, I have four first names, so I am better than him...:)

jfollows

Established Member
Quite. The problem with western liberal democracies is that people do not respect their leaders enough.

;)
I think that I offered appropriate respect to all our leaders since Margaret Thatcher; prior to that I was too young and I respected our leader because of who they were and the jobs that they held, which I realised was unwarranted.
I recognised characteristics in our current prime minister a long time ago, and I decided that he wasn't fit to be prime minister, so I didn't vote for him or for his party representatives. But others either held their noses and voted for him anyway, or didn't and don't agree with my view of him - that's democracy so I'm happy with that.
I didn't agree with a lot of the things Blair and Brown did, but I felt that I respected them, although I never trusted Blair.
I guess the only iota of respect I have for our current prime minister is in how he's got away with dreadful behaviour repeatedly and for so long that "lesser" mortals wouldn't be able to carry off. I guess it's complete shamelessness.
[And I know you're making a point in jest, but it's a good one even so. I'm extremely glad I never went to boarding school or public school, and when I came across the "Eton sort" at university I mainly laughed at them, which was probably a mistake, I should have taken them more seriously.]

philosopher

Established Member
So you suggest we all put up and shut up until voting time and let them do what they like? Johnson and his motley crew need to be called out at every opportunity, not allowed to duck and spin unchallenged so everyone forgets what has been done.
Boris has a habit of getting lucky and again this week he has got lucky again. First the leadership challenge happened a few weeks before instead of after the election defeats. Second the overturning of abortion rights in the United States has overshadowed these defeats as the media now have something else big to report on.

The question is, will Boris’s luck eventually run out.

Lost property

Boris has a habit of getting lucky and again this week he has got lucky again. First the leadership challenge happened a few weeks before instead of after the election defeats. Second the overturning of abortion rights in the United States has overshadowed these defeats as the media now have something else big to report on.

The number of distractions at convenient times, for Boris, has been very fortuitous, for him, in prolonging his tenure. His luck however, has already run out and he knows it...have a look at an interview on C4 last night and his reactions....he's finished and he knows it but intends to keep the delusion alive by now saying he won't change psychologically....bit difficult to do this really... when your core DNA is a vanity obsessed immoral liar.

najaB

Veteran Member
Boris has a habit of getting lucky and again this week he has got lucky again. First the leadership challenge happened a few weeks before instead of after the election defeats.
Some would say that wasn't luck, but rather a cunning plan.

jfollows

Established Member
It already has, his attempts to carry on are harming his party and the country but it won't last.
He tried (and failed) to replace the secretary-general of the Commonwealth (baroness Scotland) when he was in the meeting in Rwanda. He's going to be limited in what he can now do because of a parliamentary party that doesn't care for him any more, and is more frightened of the electorate than it is of him. There will be one of his policies which will get defeated in the House of Commons, I predict - something that's seen more as a "Boris" policy than a "Conservative" one, for example the attempt to circumvent the international treaty that he signed in order to "get Brexit done".
The talk will be increasingly about how to get rid of him, and although he'd like to paint this as a plot run by the media, in fact they'll be reflecting what they're told - sometimes off the record - by MPs.
His bloody-mindedness will do nobody any good, least of all him, but it's something we'll have to suffer for the coming months.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
There will be one of his policies which will get defeated in the House of Commons, I predict - something that's seen more as a "Boris" policy than a "Conservative" one, for example the attempt to circumvent the international treaty that he signed in order to "get Brexit done".
How long will it be before the stated defeat in the House of Commons occurs? What will be the size of the defeat?

najaB

Veteran Member
He might seem stupid to many on this thread, but do you honestly think that he will put forward such a matter that he knows will lead to a defeat in the House of Commons?
He'll try to avoid it, naturally, but may be backed into it - a classic "pushed because he wouldn't jump" scenario.

Shrop

On Moderation

We've been asking that question for a crazy amount of time now. It has seemed like his luck has run out many times in the last year, and yet here he still is in power, and here we still are on this thread virtually a year after the thread started, with people still thinking the end for Boris is just around the corner. All that has actually happened over the last year is that our politicians have demonstrated time and again how poor our political system must be, for this charade to go on for so long. We have close to zero integrity among the Tory Cabinet, nothing to inspire the population by way of a replacement candidate for Boris, or as a future PM in any other Party, an appalling comedy show in Parliament where most of the objective is to put down the opposition rather than to lead the country, and the best ability that senior MPs have developed is how to get away (even more than usual) with answering completely different questions to those which have been asked.
Ah, what it is to have the freedom of democracy. The way our democracy works needs to change!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
The matter of "what will happen to Johnson" in the media and in this thread brings a saying to mind that Vic Reeves often uttered in the Reeves and Mortimer show on TV quite a few years ago. Something to do with "wouldn't let it lie"

We've been asking that question for a crazy amount of time now. It has seemed like his luck has run out many times in the last year, and yet here he still is in power, and here we still are on this thread virtually a year after the thread started, with people still thinking the end for Boris is just around the corner. All that has actually happened over the last year is that our politicians have demonstrated time and again how poor our political system must be, for this charade to go on for so long. We have close to zero integrity among the Tory Cabinet, nothing to inspire the population by way of a replacement candidate for Boris, or as a future PM in any other Party, an appalling comedy show in Parliament where most of the objective is to put down the opposition rather than to lead the country, and the best ability that senior MPs have developed is how to get away (even more than usual) with answering completely different questions to those which have been asked.
Ah, what it is to have the freedom of democracy. The way our democracy works needs to change!
I suppose there are believers still who had seen Corbyn as Prime Minister with Momentum "pulling the strings in the background" in a situation that everything would be fine, there would have been no Covid outbreak and all Britain enjoying a high standard of living.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.