• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where are the 73s ?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Barcodes. As per Back to the Future II (set 8 years ago)

You absolutely got me with that thread title. :lol:

I don’t think I’ve seen a 73 plate vehicle around Exeter yet but then again this traditionally is an area where old cars go to live out their final days.

I bet there’s a few in Salcombe/Topsham/Chagford etc though. ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
You absolutely got me with that thread title. :lol:

Sorry, Sir. Be safe in the knowledge that it won’t work for another 15 years (unless the 37s are still going strong in 2037).

However it was only when I wrote the title that I realised it might be misinterpreted. Honest!

Last edited:

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
I saw a number of 73 plate buses today in Manchester, all in the Burnham Bee livery.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Were any of them Teslas :D

(Still haven’t seen a 73 Tesla!)
I don't do bus types! They were all double deckers though and at least one was boasting about it's elastic trickery credentials. I happened to be on a bus going through the city centre when I remembered this thread and started 'spotting'.

david1212

Established Member
I saw a 73 plate Tesla today.
Overall though while not specifically looking thinking back over the month I have not noticed many.

Were any of them Teslas :D

(Still haven’t seen a 73 Tesla!)

Once they've cleared existing stock, you won't see many new '73 plate Model 3's for a while.
They've paused production, while the factory lines are being converted to build the new Model 3.
(note: the UK gets all its Model 3's and Y's from Shanghai, China)

The same will happen with the Model Y later on.

Plus, the larger Model S and X are no longer sold in RHD form in the UK.
So you won't see many of those on a '73 plate or later.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
End of September, and the rate has picked up a bit. I’ve been on the roads quite a bit the last few days.

I‘ve seen 15 73s, of which 13 were EVs, 1 an ICE (Golf) and 1 I couldn’t tell.

Still no Teslas.

m79900

End of September, and the rate has picked up a bit. I’ve been on the roads quite a bit the last few days.

I‘ve seen 15 73s, of which 13 were EVs, 1 an ICE (Golf) and 1 I couldn’t tell.

Still no Teslas.
Does anyone know what the ratio is for sales of EV and ICE cars these days?

bluenoxid

Established Member
Does anyone know what the ratio is for sales of EV and ICE cars these days?
SMMT publish car sales data. In August, it was about 20% that was purely battery electric, about 40% were petrol, 4% diesel and the rest were various types of hybrids.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Very odd. Thought I posted an update on this yesterday, but clearly not.

Month end results are:

I’ve seen 15 73 plate cars in September, of which 13 have been EVs, 1 was ICE (a Golf) and the other I couldn’t tell.

But still no Teslas With 73 plates.

Law of small numbers applies, but the EV to ICE ratio is quite something!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
An update and probable ‘last post’ now that we are more than halfway through October.

Today I saw my 100th 73 plate car; it‘s fair to say the rate has increased somewhat since the last week of September.

Some stats. Of the 100:

92 were Battery EVs (which I find astonishing, given the reported national market share)*

8 had an engine, although I couldnt tell if they were a form of hybrid or not.

3 of the 92 EVs were Teslas.

* Perhaps a statistician could work out the probability of randomly observing 92% in one category of a sample of 100 from when in theory it should be about 17% from a population of around 400,000.

m79900

An update and probable ‘last post’ now that we are more than halfway through October.

Today I saw my 100th 73 plate car; it‘s fair to say the rate has increased somewhat since the last week of September.

Some stats. Of the 100:

92 were Battery EVs (which I find astonishing, given the reported national market share)*

* Perhaps a statistician could work out the probability of randomly observing 92% in one category of a sample of 100 from when in theory it should be about 17% from a population of around 400,000.
A month and a half in, I’ve only seen a single Toyota Corolla.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I've seen a handful of 73 plated cars in this area, plus even a couple of 73 plated coaches on camp for troop transport (plain white).

I guess with the current squeeze on the cost of living, those with PCP deals are electing to carry on paying for their existing vehicle for longer rather than starting again.

gg1

Established Member

Some stats. Of the 100:

Out on interest which EVs seem to be the most common out of that 92?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Out on interest which EVs seem to be the most common out of that 92?

It’s been a mixed bag. Quite a few Mercs, BMWs, Audis and MGs, a smattering of Renaults and VWs, a Volvo or two, surprisingly not many of the Koreans, 3 Teslas, and the pick of the bunch was a Maxus pick up.

gg1

Established Member
It’s been a mixed bag. Quite a few Mercs, BMWs, Audis and MGs, a smattering of Renaults and VWs, a Volvo or two, surprisingly not many of the Koreans, 3 Teslas, and the pick of the bunch was a Maxus pick up.

Good to see a mix, I was expecting to see MG up there as they do seem to be one of the best value for money EVs ranges.

I've read on owners forums that Kia delivery delays on some models are rather lengthy. They released a new version of the Niro towards the end of 2022, so far I've only seen 2 on the road.

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
I saw a number of 73 plate buses today in Manchester, all in the Burnham Bee livery.
I don't do bus types! They were all double deckers though and at least one was boasting about it's elastic trickery credentials. I happened to be on a bus going through the city centre when I remembered this thread and started 'spotting'.
Those'll have been the Enviro 400 EVs.
There's also plenty of 73 plate Enviro 200s around.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I've read on owners forums that Kia delivery delays on some models are rather lengthy. They released a new version of the Niro towards the end of 2022, so far I've only seen 2 on the road.

Interesting - I saw 2 this morning!

Cheshire Scot

Established Member
We were about 10 days into September before I saw one around here but numbers are increasing and even if only driving a few miles I will typically see at least one most times I am out, and if driving, maybe 10 / 15 miles each way then usually quite a few.