• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where can I get an ID Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HSTChris

Hello everyone.

I need to get some kind of ID card to prove that I'm over the age of 16, so that I can buy Lotto tickets and 16 rated games and so on.

I am the kind of person that cannot be trusted to carry my passport around :P

Does anyone know where I can get such proof of age card?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There are passes with "PASS" written on them, but most places I know will only accept driving licenses or passports. You might just be better off paying £50 for a provisional driving license.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Unfortunately there is no other way. Places that accept "PASS" ID cards (such as http://www.citizencard.com/) are about as common as rocking horse muck. I was going to say you could apply for the Government's spy card, but they currently only want spy on people living in London or Manchester.

HSTChris

It's an annoying situation to be in. The government want you to proove your age, but they don't provide you with the materials to do it with!

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
There are quite a few whose posters say they accept PASS holographed cards - if you get one - just be a little careful trying to insist that their poster says yes.
If you look underage and are trying to argue with the checkout assistant they may think the card is a forgery. Also shops like 'One-Stop' give out leaflets offing half price CitizenCards for their customers.

Hope this helps.

HSTChris

Thanks for the info.

I'll look into what places accept the cards around my area. I see One Stop does, and the Co-Op, and we have a couple of those.

Also, I'll ask avbout this discount you mentioned, that'd be nice :D

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Thanks for the info.

I'll look into what places accept the cards around my area. I see One Stop does, and the Co-Op, and we have a couple of those.

Also, I'll ask avbout this discount you mentioned, that'd be nice :D

My local stores have leaflets in front of the Checkout row, they are often near the Mobile PAYG Top-Up Cards. Often No need to ask - if ya need to ask just ask for a CitizenCard Application Form. Note not all branches give them out because of the franchises etc...

HSTChris

I vageually remember seeing some kind of leaflet in the Co-Op in Bexhill behind the counter, I'll try and head back there during the week and see what it was.

Daniel

Established Member
If you have a weatherspoons pub near you, go with your family and get a meal, then get them to stamp the leaflets they have afterwards - you get the citizencard half price, then.

HSTfan!!!

Established Member
I don't qualify for a driving license unfortunatly.

Please tell me to bugger off if i'm poking my nose, but why don't you, you can have a provisional driving license as you need one for a moped which you can drive with a CBT at 16...?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Could you just lie? It's not like you'll ever be tested.

Tom B

Established Member
I believe the only two forms of identification which are accepted anywhere are passports and driving licenses. Other forms of identification tend to be limited to specific chains et al (for instance I can use my university ID card to prove my identity at uni, but not elsewhere).

Lampshade

Established Member
Seconded^^^

The Citizencard is a complete waste of money, bouncers tend to just laugh at it when you try and get into a nightclub or bar. I did once get into a nightclub with my Connexions card which surprised even me :shock:

Although living in Manchester I'm seeing adverts (and hearing via Spotify) for the new, as Mojo said, spy card. It's being spun as something magical aimed at students/young people.

D107

£26 gets you a 16-25 Railcard. Comes with a handy wallet and photo ID. ;)

Or get a copy of your birth certificate.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
£26 gets you a 16-25 Railcard. Comes with a handy wallet and photo ID. ;)
Good luck getting anyone to accept that! I think the two commonly accepted are passport and driving license, followed by PASS IDs for a few places.

Or get a copy of your birth certificate.
Unfortunately places want photo ID

D107

Well, my daughter did!

Anyway, back to the point (I should have looked first really), local Trading Standards departments impose the ID requirements as part of "Due diligence" by the trader. The requirements seem to be :

"Trading standards departments and the Government support the national Proof of Age Standards Scheme (PASS). You can be confident that a card issued under the scheme and bearing the PASS hologram is an acceptable proof of age. There are a number of card issuers in the scheme - visit the PASS website for more information.

Card issuers may supply material for you to display in your shop, telling young people where they can obtain a card. This way, if you have cause to refuse a sale, you can give youngsters some positive information.

Photo driving licences and passports are also acceptable as proof of age."

Seems fairly straightforward to me?

Last edited:

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Generally, I find that PASS is accepted in shops and when getting drinks at a bar. However, to get into a club or bar you generally need a driving license or passport.

Tom B

Established Member
It is, of course, up to each establishment to decide which forms of identification it accepts.

As to railcard wallets if you ask at a station they will probably give you another one - my NatWest one was falling to bits and they were happy to give me a replacement.

HSTChris

As to railcard wallets if you ask at a station they will probably give you another one - my NatWest one was falling to bits and they were happy to give me a replacement.

Ahh, one of those. I got those from South Eastern, Southern, and TfL, I thought there was a special Railcard one I was missing out on hehe :P

Oswyntail

Established Member
My daughter carries he passport round with her constantly, has a YP card with photocard and now has a photocard driving licence but still has been refused alcohol. Shopkeepers have claimed she has lifted her sister's ID.
The daughter in question is 24.:cry:

Dolive22

Unless you are on a ban you can get a provisional class P (moped) licence, use it for two years (they expire) and never do CBT or ride on it.

Alternatively, the PASS validated cards are supposed to be accepted.

Status
Not open for further replies.