• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Where could the remaining 221s go? More for GC or XC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anthony263

Established Member
Someone want to send them to tfw to replace the mk4s ?

Sorry meant this as a bit of a joke. How about GWR to replace castle hsts?

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
I feel like the only sensible place to put them is XC, and I hope the money can be found for them.
Way too many 4 and 5 cars out on their own.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
TfW wouldn't have routes suitable for 221s
They'd be alright in place of the unreliable as hell MK4s. Shorter saloons, but an additional half a carriage on the MK4s as the 221 buffet is in the vestibule, so it's balanced out.

Whistler40145

Established Member
They'd be alright in place of the unreliable as hell MK4s. Shorter saloons, but an additional half a carriage on the MK4s as the 221 buffet is in the vestibule, so it's balanced out.
I was relating to the line speeds 221s normally operate on

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I was relating to the line speeds 221s normally operate on
In a way, it'd be a little like GWR's Castle HSTs, which don't even touch 125mph, the highest speed being a very short stretch of 110 in the Bristol Exeter line, which I don't believe they regularly reach as they make a few stops. 221s work fine Holyhead Chester, and the limit is 100 on the South Wales Main Line.

Status
Not open for further replies.