• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which tramways have you used?

Which tramway networks have you travelled on?

• Birmingham West Midlands Metro

Votes: 251 42.4%
  • Blackpool Tramway

Votes: 340 57.4%
  • Croydon Tramlink

Votes: 309 52.2%
  • Manchester Metrolink

Votes: 424 71.6%
  • Nottingham Express Transit

Votes: 268 45.3%
  • Sheffield Supertram

Votes: 306 51.7%
  • Crich Tramway

Votes: 186 31.4%
  • Heaton Park Tramway

Votes: 53 9.0%
  • Seaton Tramway

Votes: 107 18.1%
  • Wirral Tramway

Votes: 54 9.1%
  • Cliff Tramways: please tell which ones in the comments (includes Shipley Glen).

Votes: 127 21.5%
  • Museum Trams: such as Beamish or Black Country Living Musuem.

Votes: 205 34.6%
  • A now defunct tramway: please tell which networks in the comments.

Votes: 20 3.4%
  • Douglas (Isle of Man)

Votes: 98 16.6%
  • Edinburgh (Scotland)

Votes: 254 42.9%
  • Great Orme (Wales)

Votes: 150 25.3%
  • Amsterdam (Holland)

Votes: 176 29.7%
  • Dublin (Ireland)

Votes: 138 23.3%
  • One or more not on the list: please tell which tram networks in the comments.

Votes: 147 24.8%
  • Docklands Light Railway (included as some consider it's vehicles as trams)

Votes: 429 72.5%

• Total voters

Acfb

I have also now ridden Dresden's trams in February which is quite an impressive network (Stretching out towards the vineyards west of Dresden for example). I rode the 11 out towards near Bühlau from where you can get a nice view of Dresden across the river from the Terrace near the Schloss Albrechtberg.

I also took another tram, the 61 across the river and had the opportunity to ride the Dresdner Seilbahn which is near the Dresden Schwebebahn (which I didn't go on).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Amos

Just returned from Mauritius,where I took a short trip on their relatively new tram system.Was impressed at the amount of people using it.

Sunil_P

Croydon
West Midlands (except Wolverhampton Station extension!)
Nottingham
Sheffield
Manchester
Blackpool
Edinburgh
Amsterdam (part)
Vienna (part)
Rome (part)
Barcelona (part)
Geneva (part)
Denver (network as of 2011)

The DLR is NOT a tramway! Completely segregated from streets and pedestrians!

Hassocks5489

When on foreign trips I spend a great deal of time tram-travelling. Other than those I "voted" for: Freiburg im Breisgau, Berlin, Munich, Augsburg, Rostock, Düsseldorf, Duisburg, Essen, Bochum/Gelsenkirchen, Dortmund, Neuss, Krefeld, Vienna, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Lisbon. Munich three times (including last month); Vienna twice. I used the systems in North Rhine-Westphalia regularly during a 6-month work secondment to Düsseldorf. Düsseldorf itself was pretty much daily, particularly the short hop between Morsestraße (flat) and the Hauptbahnhof, for the U-Bahn to Heinrich-Heine-Allee (office)! Or if it was one of the months I wasn't using a VRR monthly ticket, and I wanted to save a few cents and use a Kurzstrecke (three-stop ticket), I would walk round the corner to Corneliusstraße and take the tram three stops to Steinstraße, then walk round the corner to H-H-A.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
The DLR is NOT a tramway! Completely segregated from streets and pedestrians!
The DLR is not a street-running tramway, but it's included in the list as the DLR vehicles are technically trams (regardless of what people call them).

You can find ex-DLR vehicles rolling down the street on the Essen Tramway for example.

There are many examples of trams running on segregated track, especially ex-railway routes, and there's also examples of trains running down roads in some places.

I decided it was more relevant to use a vehicle-based method of distinction, which was passenger rail vehicles with covered wheels, or cable towed, rather than the location of the track being in the street.

If I used the other method, the DLR would be replaced by the Weymouth tramway, Hucknall to Beeston would be ambiguous, and I'd be getting flack for that aswell.

All the UK Light Rail Systems in entirety as well as all Museums and smaller Heritage Lines. Exceptions I can think of are Black Country Museum, Dudley (Now closed permanently?) and Heath Park Narrow Gauge in Cardiff.
Outside of the UK I can only Claim Sydney Network (Entirety) and the whole of the CBD 'Free Tram Zone' in Melbourne ( as well as parts of the rest of that Network, chiefly to St Kida Beach)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
In the UK - Manchester, Sheffield, West Mids, Croydon, DLR and cliff tramways

Elsewhere in the world... Lisbon, Porto, Seville, Amsterdam, Valencia, Milan, Berlin, Stockholm, Budapest.... Yes, we indulge in city breaks. Not certain if the SkyTrain in Vancouver isn't similar to DLR but away from my areas of expertise

TheSmiths82

Despite only living on the other side of the MancyWay I have never travelled on the Heaton Park tramway - I keep meaning to go.
I will add the following to the above:-
Cologne
Lille
Barcelona
Nice
Lyon
I have yet to travel on a Croydon tram, while I frequent London a fair I have never had any need to go that far.

Also I count the Southport Pier tram?

richw

Veteran Member
Barcelona
I somehow didn’t even see a tramway whilst there earlier this year

Yes, we indulge in city breaks.
I’ve done 3 overseas city breaks so far this year plus a weekend in London, 4 nights in Weymouth and 3 nights to Isle of Wight.
It would be safe to assume I can’t sit still and like to travel.

When I you can get a ryanair or EasyJet flight for well under £50 return it can be cheaper to go away than stay home. I may as well visit places whilst it’s affordable and I have the time

TheSmiths82

I somehow didn’t even see a tramway whilst there earlier this year

It runs more to the north of the city from what I remember via Diagonal and to the Olympia development. It has been expanded as well I think. I used to frequent Barcelona (while staying in that part of Spain) every year or so but not been for several years now due to covid and everything else so my memory is a bit hazy.

david1212

Established Member
Blackpool many times but decreasing. My last visit was 2016 and before that 2010 for the 125th anniversary. Prior to that right back through life an average of at least one year in three. Now the enhanced running the last weekend in September does not have the same appeal and nor overall do Blackpool, Cleveleys and Fleetwood.

West Midlands Metro just one way once.

Two visits to Crich mid-1980's and early 2000's.

Great Orme back in 1970's, possibly more than once. Also the cable car so may have been this one way and tramway the other.

90% that I have been on the Aberystwyth Cliff Railway at least once.

While I have seen Babbacombe, Bournemouth, Bridgenorth, Hastings, Lynton/Lynmouth, all three Scarborough and Southend-n-Sea cliff lifts I don't think I have actually ever travelled in any of them.

Last edited:

richw

Veteran Member
It runs more to the north of the city from what I remember via Diagonal and to the Olympia development. It has been expanded as well I think. I used to frequent Barcelona (while staying in that part of Spain) every year or so but not been for several years now due to covid and everything else so my memory is a bit hazy.
I’ve just researched it. 3 lines in the north, And 3 to the east near the coast.
We stayed around the south west side of the city, although I travelled to gaudi park and le sagrida familia by metro I otherwise didn’t venture far from the south west parts.
It looks like the trams run in areas without metro

JRT

Have been on many tram systems, most of which have been listed above. Some of those I have travelled may be worthy of further comment.
Leeds (closed 1957) — I vaguely remember having to alight from the opposite end at the terminus after the driver switched ends?
Southport Pier (1960s) — was impressed by how smart and modern it looked.
Liberec (Czechia) — at the time, both metre- and standard-gauge lines were in use (some streets had both). The metre-gauge line operating to adjacent city Jablonec nad Nisou was quite interesting as it weaved about and appeared to go through someone's back garden! and seemed to justify being narrow-gauge, so was surprised to see that it is being converted to standard-gauge, presumably the new #11 will follow a similar but changed routing avoiding the narrow section.

gysev

Belgium: Coast line, Gent, Antwerpen, Brussels, Charleroi, Thuin (heritage operation)
Netherlands: Amsterdam, Rotterdam
UK: Crich, Douglas
Germany: Cologne, Berlin, Dresden, Leipzig
Austria: Vienna, Innsbruck, Gmunden
Czech Republic: Prague
Hungary: Budapest
Belarus: Minsk
Estonia: Tallin
Latvia: Riga
Ukraine: Kiev, Krivij Rih
USA: Denver, Yakima (heritage operation)

norbitonflyer

Established Member
All the existing modern British ones (Blackpool, Manchester, DLR, Croydon, W Midlands, Nottingham, Edinburgh, Sheffield, in that order) also Crich, Beamish, Seaton, Lynmouth and the Matlock telepherique. Gave up on Great Orme as the queue was so long it was quicker to walk up.
Outside the UK: Vienna, Innsbruck, St Gervais (Tramway du Mont Blanc), Amsterdam, Brussels, The Hague, Douglas-Laxey.

sprunt

My others:

Toronto
Lisbon
Montpellier
Nice
Brussels
Ghent
Rotterdam
The Hague
Amsterdam
Frankfurt
Berlin
Oslo
Vienna

dutchflyer

Established Member
IN total, as tramways are my prime interest in transport, around 333 systems in 48 countries. In Paraguay and Vietnam abolished since. In Israel, Emirates, Denmark, Luxembourg, Ireland, Argentina, Morocco newly started (even if in some they had older systems closed down). Will not list them all- except for Byelorus and Russia all systems n Europe, and nearly all in the other continents. It remains debatable for some if its tram or metro or more likely in between light rail. I follow the list the german mag Blickpunkt Strassenbahn publishes every 10 yrs. or so. And the Douglas, IoM, horse drawn one- not listed, have been onto it! Around 15 systems have been withdrawn after my visits.
Never been in these countries which now have tramways: Brasil, Bolivia, Equador, Uzbekistan, Algeria. Will likely also not happen anymore.
Have not visited all systems operating during my visits there: again BY and RU (which still was SU then).
And they opened a new tram after my last visit there: Mauritius, plus also like Australia, Canada, USA, China, Japan where I did all existing ones on last visit there. Taiwan is also on this personal list-but visit planned for next week- 2 systems to add (in Taipei as 2 routes separated-like f.e. also in Barcelona and Kaohsiung).
A friend of my has reached the 400 mark-he joined many of the Blickpunkt tours to nearly all Russky systems when these were organised pre 2000.
500 is probably only reachable for those who are that old to have been on many UK/USA systems when still running and then also the East-Eur, communist former world. Perhaps the LRTA keeps a list for that?

mikeg

Established Member
In rough chronological order

Blackpool (aged 5)
Beamish
Rome
Prague
West Midlands Metro
Rotterdam
Edinburgh
DLR (though I wouldn't count it as a tram system)
NET
Isle of Man

I didn't click cliff tramway. Would the one at Saltburn count?

Last edited:

hawthorn

UK: Croydon, Manchester, Sheffield, West Midlands, Blackpool, Birkenhead,
USA: Dallas Dart
Canada: Toronto TTC
Ireland: LUAS
Portugal: Porto (metro), Porto (heritage), Lisbon, Sul do Tejo, Sintra, Coimbra
Netherlands: Amsterdam, Den Haag (before it closed)
France: Paris
Spain: Barcelona Blue Tram, Bilbao,
Belgium: Brussels
Germany: Berlin BVG
Slovakia: Bratislave
Czechia: Prague
Austria: Vienna
Rome: Trams and Giardino line
Switzerland: Zurich
Hong Kong

On the target list:

Vicinal in Belgium

D6130

Established Member
UK: Croydon, Manchester, Sheffield, West Midlands, Blackpool, Birkenhead,
USA: Dallas Dart
Canada: Toronto TTC
Ireland: LUAS
Portugal: Porto (metro), Porto (heritage), Lisbon, Sul do Tejo, Sintra, Coimbra
Netherlands: Amsterdam, Den Haag (before it closed)
France: Paris
Spain: Barcelona Blue Tram, Bilbao,
Belgium: Brussels
Germany: Berlin BVG
Slovakia: Bratislave
Czechia: Prague
Austria: Vienna
Rome: Trams and Giardino line
Switzerland: Zurich
Hong Kong

On the target list:

Vicinal in Belgium

How many vicinal tramways remain in Belgium? I would think only the Kusttram and the tourist tramway leading to Les Grottes de Hahn caves in Wallonia.

dazzler

How many vicinal tramways remain in Belgium? I would think only the Kusttram and the tourist tramway leading to Les Grottes de Hahn caves in Wallonia.
There's a couple of preserved SNCV lines as well, at Thuin (southwest of Charleroi) and Érezée (in the Aisne valley, between Liège and Bastogne - not too far from the Grottes de Han).

The line at Thuin has steam, diesel and electric trams, Érezée appears to be purely diesel.

hawthorn

It's the coastal tram I am interested in. Mainly due to the novelty of that journey setting and length.

blue87

Cliff tramways:
Bridgenorth.
Aberystwyth.

Overseas Tramways:
Warsaw, Poland.
Koln ,Germany.
Munich, Germany.