• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Which type of train still in service today will you miss most when they've all been withdrawn from use on the national network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Western 52

Not sure if there's a previous thread on this, but from all current traction and rolling stock on the national network, which type will you miss the most when they've gone, and why?

I had to think for a while, but eventually decided on class 60. I've rated these since they were new, and find them impressive on heavy trains. They sound powerful with 29 102 tonne oil tanks in tow. I remember them too on the Port Talbot to Llanwern iron ore trains ascending Stormy Bank.

Over to you....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

QSK19

For me, it has to be the 180 and the 222.

The 180s are lovely trains to travel on, despite (certainly in EMR’s case) the tired interior and the much-discussed technical issues. They’re also the favourite trains of my son; so an emotional attachment too.

The 222s formed the centrepiece of my commutes to university and back; so seeing them go kind of shuts the door on an important chapter of my life.

The above, of course, share the same engine as my username; so there is that factor to consider too :lol:

SuperLuke2334

Established Member
For me, the 175s. They've been the mainstay of operations on my local line as long as I've been alive and they're just such good trains when they work.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Class 91 + Mk4 Rakes. Smooth, comfortable seats and quiet inside but my word you knew it was a 91 if you were on a neighbouring platform for departure.

I agree with gka472l, definitely given sterling service since they arrived here in the late 70s early 80s, get rid of the 777s and bring the remaining 313s up here too, make Merseyside a pep only area once again

D821

507/508's as I've lived on Merseyside all my life....
Same here. I'm old enough to have ridden on their predecessors, but not old enough to remember having done so.
I'm looking forward to seeing the 777s in service, but I'll miss the 507 & 508s.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I'll be very sad when there are no more 390s for me to take rides on :(
Yes, it's looking like no more tilting trains when they're gone (221s will go earlier/stop tilting).
We just have to hope that the 390's HS2 replacements will be as enjoyable to ride over the winding WCML.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Quite a lot of variety I see! I think the Chiltern Mk3s are very good but I’m also in the same boat as TT-ONR-NRN, the 390s are very good and it will be shame when they go especially since it’s likely they won’t be replaced with more tilting stock.

liamf656

Echoing @QSK19 in a way, but the 222s for me. I’ve worked on them for the past 3 years so I know them inside out, but it’s also quite sad that once their time is up they’ll more than likely go into cold storage to quickly deteriorate. When using them I imagine what a mid-life refurbishment would look like on these units, and can’t help but think about how many more years they could continue if that happened

Also the 156s and the (now departed 153s), which I used a lot in EMT days, there are only a few left until the end of May so that’s also quite sad for me

Over in Northern I think once the 158s are gone it’ll feel strange, in a similar way to when the Pacers had gone

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
For me, it has to be the 180 and the 222.

The 180s are lovely trains to travel on, despite (certainly in EMR’s case) the tired interior and the much-discussed technical issues. They’re also the favourite trains of my son; so an emotional attachment too.

The 222s formed the centrepiece of my commutes to university and back; so seeing them go kind of shuts the door on an important chapter of my life.

The above, of course, share the same engine as my username; so there is that factor to consider too :lol:
Yes I'd also miss the 222, definitely my favourite British stock after the 390.
Class 91 + Mk4 Rakes. Smooth, comfortable seats and quiet inside but my word you knew it was a 91 if you were on a neighbouring platform for departure.
And my third favourite.
For me, the 175s. They've been the mainstay of operations on my local line as long as I've been alive and they're just such good trains when they work.
And my favourite of TfW's fleet.
I'd miss all of these!
Longer than you've been alive? Somehow I thought you were much older than you are then, ahaha...

pokemonsuper9

Established Member
For me it has to be the 390s, fortunately I think we're at least 20 years off that, but 390s were some of my earliest introduction to railway enthusiasm, starting back with counting if it's a 9 or 11 car (and freight trains always seemed to be 32 or so cars long)

delt1c

Established Member
318’s as they will be the last of the family tree of design

12LDA28C

Established Member
Echoing @QSK19 in a way, but the 222s for me. I’ve worked on them for the past 3 years so I know them inside out, but it’s also quite sad that once their time is up they’ll more than likely go into cold storage to quickly deteriorate.

You might find that at least some of them move to another operator...

Established Member
SWR's Class !58s and159s. Comfortable seats and quite a number of them with tables.

I rarely get a chance to travel on other TOCS' 158s but I was impressed by the TfW ones.

It will unless a class 508 is preserved and 1 if those coaches which would have been on those of the class that are left is reunited with 1 of the remaining 508s to make the original formation and recreate a 4 coach class 508/0 unit

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Class 37s of course....
Nah, they'll last until the heat death of the universe! :lol:

I'll miss Mk4 sets and 91s, but I'll probably miss 158s more as I use them much more often. Also 155s, but since they moved out East it feels like they're gone already.

DanNCL

Established Member
The 91s, and the original Tyne & Wear Metro fleet.

Growing up we travelled from Newcastle to York regularly, usually on Mark 4s.
The 91s themselves are the last of a kind, when they go that’ll be the end of over 60 years of electric hauled daytime expresses in the UK. And whilst the 91s might not sound the same as the 81-87s they’ve got an iconic sound nonetheless. To me the 91 is an even more significant ECML workhorse than the Deltic - there were more of them and they’ve lasted considerably longer.

The Tyne & Wear metro fleet is again one I grew up with, and whilst they might not be that exciting I’ll still miss them when they’re gone. The clunk from the electro magnetic track brake being reset when the driver keys in, the constant whine which masks any sound the motors may make, and of course the front seat, even if that has already been blocked off you can still see out of the front.
Already gone from the Metro fleet is the iconic door closing tone of a buzzer followed by the spoken words “doors closing!”. Most lost it with the 2010-20145 Wabtec refurbishment, the four that didn’t go to Wabtec lost it in 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.