• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Who dislikes 'one'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Wonder if that was one of the coaches on the train involved in the level crossing collision a bit back? Possibly something from the car was flung up and hit the side of the coach. I was thinking shunting collision, but the damage doesn't quite seem to fit that. Any other ideas (or even better, someone who knows what actually happened?).

Coxster

Established Member
Wonder if that was one of the coaches on the train involved in the level crossing collision a bit back? Possibly something from the car was flung up and hit the side of the coach. I was thinking shunting collision, but the damage doesn't quite seem to fit that. Any other ideas (or even better, someone who knows what actually happened?).
As far as I know, what happened was one bogie decided to take a different route to the other over a point and the coach sort of went sideways into a carriage washer. If all is found to be okay with it technically speaking, it is likely to go upto Crewe by rail.

theblackwatch

Established Member
As far as I know, what happened was one bogie decided to take a different route to the other over a point and the coach sort of went sideways into a carriage washer. If all is found to be okay with it technically speaking, it is likely to go upto Crewe by rail.

Yes that's basically what happened - I've seen photos of the 'incident'. The damage in the picture was actually doe by an electrification mast (which itself ended up rather bent!). Considering it actually occurred last November, I'm surprised that the coach is still at Crown Point awaiting repairs.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
Ah, that makes sence, I was thinking in terms of hitting another train, not lineside equipment.
I wouldn't be suprised if it's not a write-off. Mk3s with their integral construction arn't the easiest thing to do repairs on, particularly if structural damage has occured (rarther than just dented pannels), and of cource crashworthyness can't be compromised. On the other hand, there are plenty of loco hauled Mk3s around, so it's probably far easier and cheaper to just aquire and refurbish another and use this for spairs. Being around 30 years old (the TSOs were built 1975-77), they arn't going to be worth that much (although that doesn't stop Porterbrook charging 'one' extortionate leasing charges).

P.S, Kettlefan. Nice to see someone else likes 'one'. I hated them to start with, being a big Anglia fan, and having had lots of bad experiance with Central and MML (who it must be remembered used to be pretty awful before they got their act together), but now I tend to have the attitude that the are no worse than most TOCs. I think they suffered in a lot of people's opinions due to being the first of the high premium super franchises, yet now these have become more common, people have started to realise that they are all as bad as each other and that really, the DfT is mostly responsible, with the TOC really only choosing the name and livery. As for the name, I still think it's stupid, but then so are lots of modern brands, and the livery, again I disliked it at first, but it's grown on me now, and I'd say it's one of my favourites (although once again, the poor quality of the competition is a big factor). The fact that 'one' has a pretty decent train fleet, particularly the loco hauled trains on the mainline, and the use of 47s to Yarmouth in the summer (even if it is a bit hit and miss, although Anglia was as bad if not worse), helps aswell.
Of cource, some people still like to play the "if first had got the franchise it would be so much better" card, but Great Western (and to a lesser extent Capital Connect) has largely delt with that (because of cource First would have got new trains, not second hand ones, and they wouldn't have done service cuts or run regular short formed trains, or put up fares, and they'd have had much better reliability and punctuality).

kettlefan

Ah, that makes sence, I was thinking in terms of hitting another train, not lineside equipment.
I wouldn't be suprised if it's not a write-off. Mk3s with their integral construction arn't the easiest thing to do repairs on, particularly if structural damage has occured (rarther than just dented pannels), and of cource crashworthyness can't be compromised. On the other hand, there are plenty of loco hauled Mk3s around, so it's probably far easier and cheaper to just aquire and refurbish another and use this for spairs. Being around 30 years old (the TSOs were built 1975-77), they arn't going to be worth that much (although that doesn't stop Porterbrook charging 'one' extortionate leasing charges).

P.S, Kettlefan. Nice to see someone else likes 'one'. I hated them to start with, being a big Anglia fan, and having had lots of bad experiance with Central and MML (who it must be remembered used to be pretty awful before they got their act together), but now I tend to have the attitude that the are no worse than most TOCs. I think they suffered in a lot of people's opinions due to being the first of the high premium super franchises, yet now these have become more common, people have started to realise that they are all as bad as each other and that really, the DfT is mostly responsible, with the TOC really only choosing the name and livery. As for the name, I still think it's stupid, but then so are lots of modern brands, and the livery, again I disliked it at first, but it's grown on me now, and I'd say it's one of my favourites (although once again, the poor quality of the competition is a big factor). The fact that 'one' has a pretty decent train fleet, particularly the loco hauled trains on the mainline, and the use of 47s to Yarmouth in the summer (even if it is a bit hit and miss, although Anglia was as bad if not worse), helps aswell.
Of cource, some people still like to play the "if first had got the franchise it would be so much better" card, but Great Western (and to a lesser extent Capital Connect) has largely delt with that (because of cource First would have got new trains, not second hand ones, and they wouldn't have done service cuts or run regular short formed trains, or put up fares, and they'd have had much better reliability and punctuality).

um woops, I just remembered, it wasn't One I travelled with, it was Anglia (86 push pull to somewhere I can't remember, Nowich? then change to the sprinter. A load of western region Mk1s were in the platform there with a 67 at the head on a railtour) :? The service was pretty good I seem to remember.

compsci

I have something of a love hate relationship with One. I really can't understand why they manage Cambridge station, (it was WAGN until a couple of years ago) given that they don't run the major train service. The only reason anyone ever takes the Liverpool St service is if they are heading to the City or Docklands (and even then it's often slower), or if they think that it's it worth saving a couple of pounds, unless of course something is broken on the KX route. They don't seem to be on best terms with FCC, and it often seems that a one train gets priority for platforms or shepreth branch junction if something has gone wrong.

On the other hand one have vastly superior customer service to FCC. Unlike the FCC customer relations department, which appears to be a badly programmed automated excuses generator with some humans attached (any letter I get from them answers a completely different question to the one I asked), the staff at one appear to actually read comments from passengers. When I complained about being sold bad tickets twice in a row they said that they were concerned that I could easily have been purchasing some form of restricted advance purchase ticket, and through in £10 in vouchers for my trouble. I only got £7 (in two installments) from FCC for being delayed by two and a half hours.

I'm not particularly convinced by the livery. If the stripes were much longer it would look like something you'd expect to see if the child catcher from chitty chitty bang bang invested in a train.

Status
Not open for further replies.