• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Who will be our next Prime Minister? - Rishi Sunak!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
The 1997, 2001, and 2005 was New labour, which was not new at all and most certainly not Labour.

I'm inferring from that that you didn't like New Labour.

However, whatever your own feelings about New Labour, in 1997 46% of people in Scotland who voted voted for them - way more than voted for any other party. In fact, in all the elections 1997, 2001 and 2005, Scotland voted more strongly for the party that become the Westminster Government than did the UK as a whole. The claim you made that Scotland did not 'get the government that it voted for' in any election since 1979 is manifestly false.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lost property

Would this be the same " I feel your pain with my personal £730m in the bank, figure can vary " Sunak who happily stopped the extra £20pw for UC "scroungers " by any chance ?

However.."impoverished former PM working tirelessly to represent my constituents....please, please, give generously. All donations in pounds please, not roubles "

jon0844

Veteran Member
It's horrible to see where we are, but I always thought Rushi was the best of a bad bunch, and the fact the extreme right-wing ERG-led pundits and politicians seem to hate him so much makes me feel even more confident he's the choice. Yes, he's privileged, yes he's stinking rich, yes he's looking out for big business, but he does at least seem to have some compassion and understanding of how things work - and if he can help the economy then we might actually become a bit better off.

I think Rishi understands that it isn't enough to help corporations through tax cuts and short-term benefits, as the economy as a whole will keep businesses afloat and profitable. Take hospitality and retail for example; why would a cut in tax help them if they have nobody able to visit their shops or restaurants?

Of course, most people would prefer 'none of the above' but we are where we are. I think at this point, even a lot of die-hard Tories would consider voting Labour for the first time in their life to get rid of this shower.. although if Rishi gets in and can stabilise things a little then they just might squeeze through with the 'better the devil you know' thinking.

Meanwhile, every day that passes has more and more people struggling to make ends meet, having to cut back on lots of things, potentially lose their homes if interest rates keep rising, and ultimately start borrowing to pay for things - all while fearing for their working conditions at work, pay, and even job security in general.

That we'll have this rollercoaster for up to two more years, plus even more upheaval if there is a change of Government thereafter (no magic wand to fix or change much for some time) is disgusting.

Andyh82

Established Member
The media will wanting Johnson to win because it will generate turmoil and lots of juicy stories to come, and if they are left wing media, it would push us towards a general election

All they have on Rishi is that he is rich, even in Partygate it was a fairly minor indiscretion

I hope they sort out the winner within MPs rather than sending it out to the membership, as I get the feeling they’d vote for Johnson

Ideally it’d be Rishi as PM, with Mordaunt in a senior role as deputy prime minister and either home or foreign secretary

nw1

Established Member
Of course, most people would prefer 'none of the above' but we are where we are. I think at this point, even a lot of die-hard Tories would consider voting Labour for the first time in their life to get rid of this shower.. although if Rishi gets in and can stabilise things a little then they just might squeeze through with the 'better the devil you know' thinking.

I'd hope not. Whoever is the leader, it would be truly worrying if the Conservatives win again despite all that has happened.

It would suggest that almost nothing can remove them. If the Tories win the next election, with the odds stacked heavily against them, I honestly think that there is a real risk that we get stuck with them for 30 or more consecutive years (i.e until at least 2040).

It would also suggest (to me at least) that there's something in the British character that seems to have a disproportionate tolerance for them. Labour seem to become universally hated by doing the smallest thing wrong, but the Tories can seriously mess up and somehow get back in.

It's very bad for democracy if a single party can dominate things so much and remain in power for so long. Does any other Western democracy have one party which dominates so much?

Last edited:

Typhoon

Established Member
Still hoping Boris stalls at 99!
No! I want him stuck on something like 68 (less if possible). Miles from the finishing line just so we can say to him that he is finished, there is no return, go back to your Caribbean beaches and speaking tours in the US, pop over to Ukraine if you want - as a private citizen. Spend more time practicing his golf. If he can, he could request joint US citizenship. He has done minimal good here. This country and its people, as well as his (political) party are better off without him.

Those that support him are largely doing so because they think the great British public will be fooled again, or they know that no other Leadership candidate in their right mind will give them a job. Their constituents deserve better, much better.

It's horrible to see where we are, but I always thought Rushi was the best of a bad bunch, and the fact the extreme right-wing ERG-led pundits and politicians seem to hate him so much makes me feel even more confident he's the choice.
Of the ERG crowd, I have always felt that Steve Baker at least follows his beliefs and puts together (fairly) coherent arguments rather than trotting out dogma. I notice that he has come out for Sunak.

nw1

Established Member
No! I want him stuck on something like 68 (less if possible). Miles from the finishing line just so we can say to him that he is finished, there is no return, go back to your Caribbean beaches and speaking tours in the US, pop over to Ukraine if you want - as a private citizen. Spend more time practicing his golf. If he can, he could request joint US citizenship. He has done minimal good here. This country and its people, as well as his (political) party are better off without him.

Contentious point, but could a Boris win be actually the best for us long term, perversely? Reason being that it might then force an immediate GE, and then we elect Labour by the end of the year and put this whole sorry period behind us?

Get economically conservative Brexiter Sunak in, and we might end up with a Tory win in 2024, and get stuck with austerity politics and isolationism for the whole of the rest of this decade and perhaps beyond, not to mention increasing the Tories' seeming sense of entitlement to have a God-given right to run this country.

But more importantly, this country is in my view at a crossroads and if we don't reject the Tories now I wonder if we ever will. It just demonstrates that, if they mess up, they can say "it's alright, we've got a new leader now" and get away with it.

Last edited:

brad465

Established Member
The media will wanting Johnson to win because it will generate turmoil and lots of juicy stories to come, and if they are left wing media, it would push us towards a general election

All they have on Rishi is that he is rich, even in Partygate it was a fairly minor indiscretion

I hope they sort out the winner within MPs rather than sending it out to the membership, as I get the feeling they’d vote for Johnson

Ideally it’d be Rishi as PM, with Mordaunt in a senior role as deputy prime minister and either home or foreign secretary
They've got more than that on him. Covid fraud write-off is a good line, and that video of him criticising Labour funding formulae can be used to both attack Tory policy and demonstrate what Labour delivered, 2 birds 1 stone.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Rees-Mogg is as big a liar as Johnson, so if he's saying the latter has 100 votes sewn up you can guarantee they aren't. The bigger problem is that Morduant may have been offered an incentive (i.e. top job) in return for persuading her supporters to switch to Johnson, in which case he might get within touching distance of that figure.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
It would also suggest (to me at least) that there's something in the British character that seems to have a disproportionate tolerance for them. Labour seem to become universally hated by doing the smallest thing wrong, but the Tories can seriously mess up and somehow get back in.

So I guess you weren't around when Labour managed to totally mess up invading a foreign country yet still managed to win the following general election. ;)

Anyway what's your basis for saying the Tories can seriously mess up and somehow get back in? Most of the messing up that people here blame the Tories for seems to have happened post-2019, and there have been no general elections since then on which to base that assertion. As I recall, the last time the Tories seriously messed up in most people's eyes (ignoring the controversies of Brexit) was around Black Wednesday and the subsequent economic fallout - and the Tories very definitely lost the following election. That was a long time ago but it's pretty strong evidence that when the Tories seriously mess up, they lose.

takno

Established Member
As I recall, the last time the Tories seriously messed up in most people's eyes (ignoring the controversies of Brexit) ...
I mean if you're going to set out a list of massive things you choose to ignore then I'm sure you can get it back to Waterloo. In the real world though that is the really big thing that they messed up 2016 and the main thing they have continued to mess up worse and worse ever since. There was a bit of break so that they could mess up Covid of course, and now the consequences of all their messes are all coming together in one giant messaggedon, but honestly seeing it as all post 2019 seems a bit, well, weird tbh

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
I mean if you're going to set out a list of massive things you choose to ignore then I'm sure you can get it back to Waterloo. In the real world though that is the really big thing that they messed up 2016 and the main thing they have continued to mess up worse and worse ever since. There was a bit of break so that they could mess up Covid of course, and now the consequences of all their messes are all coming together in one giant messaggedon, but honestly seeing it as all post 2019 seems a bit, well, weird tbh

Not really. If you're going to look (in an unbiased way) for things where a party has seriously messed up in order to try to work out whether that makes them lose an election, you have to find stuff where it's pretty unambiguous that they messed up, not stuff that is merely controversial. I suspect the problem is that you and @nw1 are counting everything around 'Brexit' as messing up purely because you are opposed to Brexit. But to the half of the population who wanted Brexit, that's not messing up, it's doing what that half of the population wanted.

BrianW

Established Member
I find it quite difficult to feel sorry for him, but at least he’s willing to take something extremely difficult on despite having a fairly good idea of what to expect.
I wish more candidates had better self-awareness and recognised the responsibilities and difficulties of the job they have perhaps craved for years and/or felt entitled to.

Reminded myself of this:

Morris quits: I’m not up to the job​

Blair fails to persuade Education Secretary to stay

By Tom Baldwin,
David Charter
, Tony Halpin and
Greg Hurst
Thursday October 24 2002, 1.00am, The Times
ESTELLE MORRIS stunned Westminster last night by resigning as Education Secretary, admitting that a succession of bruising rows in recent weeks had destroyed her confidence to do the job.

Tony Blair, who was first told of her decision on Tuesday, is understood to have pleaded with her to stay. However, in a telephone call yesterday from a teachers conference in Birmingham, she confirmed her decision and last night set out her reasons for leaving in an hour-long meeting with the Prime Minister in Downing Street.

najaB

Veteran Member
So I guess you weren't around when Labour managed to totally mess up invading a foreign country yet still managed to win the following general election.
To be fair, the issue wasn't invading the country. That bit went swimmingly. The problem was that they had zero plan for what to do afterwards.

dosxuk

Established Member
Not really. If you're going to look (in an unbiased way) for things where a party has seriously messed up in order to try to work out whether that makes them lose an election, you have to find stuff where it's pretty unambiguous that they messed up, not stuff that is merely controversial. I suspect the problem is that you and @nw1 are counting everything around 'Brexit' as messing up purely because you are opposed to Brexit. But to the half of the population who wanted Brexit, that's not messing up, it's doing what that half of the population wanted.

You really have to include Brexit in the list of stuff that the Tories have messed up, but not because they implemented it. It needs including because of the poor way they have managed the party since deciding to go down the Brexit path. The whole vote was intended to make the right wing eurosceptic part of the party calm down and get back to doing what they were told by party central - but by them winning the vote it has just made things even worse.

If we look at why there is such a dearth of competent options for Prime Minister and the cabinet, the answer is simply that they all bailed from the party or got deselected for not being true believers. Johnson and several ministers got a free reign because they were fully on board with Brexit - a position which seemingly overrode their suitability for the job in both the eyes of the party and a significant chunk of the public.

Our economy is struggling with the after effects of the Brexit vote, and will do for decades to come. It's strange how sometimes the government are willing to admit this ("we didn't promise everyone would be better off immediately, it's a multi-year process" type statements) and then the next they're back on the "it's because of Covid" or "it's because of Russia" or "look, other countries have had a slump too" - completely ignoring that our economy is not recovering to the same extent. If the party wasn't still tearing itself up over Brexit, they could admit to the world that we made a choice, it comes with difficulties, but things will get better - but they have to have positives now to try and keep things going - positives that simply don't exist.

Regardless of whether you think Brexit was the right decision - surely nobody can stand up and say that the last 6 years of Tory leadership have been a success, or that none of the current issues have any relation to that decision.

jon0844

Veteran Member
I wish more candidates had better self-awareness and recognised the responsibilities and difficulties of the job they have perhaps craved for years and/or felt entitled to.

Reminded myself of this:

Morris quits: I’m not up to the job​

Blair fails to persuade Education Secretary to stay

By Tom Baldwin,
David Charter
, Tony Halpin and
Greg Hurst
Thursday October 24 2002, 1.00am, The Times
ESTELLE MORRIS stunned Westminster last night by resigning as Education Secretary, admitting that a succession of bruising rows in recent weeks had destroyed her confidence to do the job.

Tony Blair, who was first told of her decision on Tuesday, is understood to have pleaded with her to stay. However, in a telephone call yesterday from a teachers conference in Birmingham, she confirmed her decision and last night set out her reasons for leaving in an hour-long meeting with the Prime Minister in Downing Street.

The irony being that many people who think they're not up to the job through self-doubt are quite possibly the perfect people for the job.

You really have to include Brexit in the list of stuff that the Tories have messed up, but not because they implemented it. It needs including because of the poor way they have managed the party since deciding to go down the Brexit path. The whole vote was intended to make the right wing eurosceptic part of the party calm down and get back to doing what they were told by party central - but by them winning the vote it has just made things even worse.

Because for them Brexit hasn't been done. Brexit was about getting away from EU directives and laws, so we could lessen worker rights and make big businesses more money (I'd definitely argue it's big businesses/corporations over smaller businesses that the Tories once claimed to represent).

We hear that it was about stopping people from Europe coming and working for less money than us, thus taking our jobs, but of course we have a minimum wage and despite that, millions of jobs are unfilled.

In reality, the Government still want people from abroad to come and do those jobs, but without those pesky rules to protect them. Do away with worker rights, then do deals to allow people from India and Asia to come and work for peanuts.

Arguably a lot of people who voted for Brexit will be somewhat more upset if this happens and I hope to God we can do whatever is necessary to stop these rights being eroded, or reverse them, as soon as possible. That doesn't mean rejoining the EU, just not allowing a party to go rogue.

Last edited:

GS250

Or more precisely, if I remember right: "we were elected as New Labour... we shall govern... as New Labour!"

Whatever, the days of New Labour were arguably far better than the imperious individuals that run the show now, whether that be Boris Nero Ionso, Elisabeta Trusia, or Risius Sunacius. While Blair was far from perfect, and messing around with Bush was a very bad decision indeed, there were real progressive steps made during the 1997 government - minimum wage, working hours limits, and access to the countryside for starters. You would never get such progressive measures introduced by a Tory government.

Agreed. That government in general did some good things. There wasn't the same ill feeling towards it at all, especially in Blair's first two terms. I even recall Blair generally getting a big cheer during the Millennium celebrations. I thought they changed quite a lot in their third term though. The old suspicions about authoritarianism and Labour started to become a topic of debate. As did an apparent newly found social dislike of the English working classes and their views.

Yes we can list all the black marks against it but in general they were pretty popular at the time.

Sadly, whichever government gets voted in the next time around will leave about half the country shouting, screaming and raging at everything they do.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Not sure what top cabinet post you could give Boris.

Foreign Secretary: A man who continually puts his foot in it and shoots from the cuff, his run in the role under May was considered a disaster
Defence Secretary: Ben Wallace is the undisputed best man for the job
Home Secretary: A man who broke his own laws
Chancellor: Your having a laugh
Levelling Up Minister: Might do alright in this but would it be high profile enough for him?
Leader of the House: In charge of party discipline?
Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster? Gets to hobknob with the Royals and preside over official functions, but despite his public school background not sure thats really his thing.
Maybe chairman of the Conservative Party would please the rank and file membership and he could see it as a way to rebuild his powerbase

I get the feeling if he did get a cabinet post he would **** it up and have to resign very quickly, and you still have the standards investigation due in a couple of month, the rumour of which is its going to come down very hard and recommend a long suspension leading to the possibility of a recall vote.
Simples:
Minister of State for Brexit Opportunities (and government efficiency can be placed elsewhere).
Just desserts and the job would come with some stiff performance targets attached and hard-touch monitoring.

----------
Oh man. I'm going for a lie down.

Comment piece by someone called Nigel Farrage.

A Boris Johnson victory is our best hope of reforming the UK's rotten electoral system​

Article, behind a paywall in The Telegraph but I managed to get a screenshot before the banner popped up!
Screenshot 2022-10-23 at 16-15-44 A Boris Johnson victory is our best hope of reforming the UK...png

Last edited:

duncanp

Established Member
Here is the article from The Telegraph referred to earlier.

He says that if Labour are reliant on Liberal Democrat support after the next election, then electoral reform may be the price of that support.

A Boris Johnson victory is our best hope of reforming the UK's rotten electoral system​

After 12 years of Tory misrule, the country is crying out for radical change

ver since Jeremy Hunt’s reversal of the mini-budget, senior Tories have been asking “What is the point of the Conservative Party?” That burning question is gaining traction. Now, as polling points to a historic election disaster, many pray that the return of Boris “Cincinnatus” Johnson will save this 200-year-old institution’s fortunes. I very much doubt it.

Charisma is vital in politics; one of the defining attributes of leadership. It is clear that Johnson has a personality, even if it is carefully crafted for his public appearances. Importantly, he still makes some people smile (while utterly infuriating others). So it is not hard to sketch out a scenario in which Tory members, given the chance, may back his return after a brief exile.

The bigger question, however, is of political philosophy. The electorate is deeply disappointed after 12 years of Tory misrule. In some ways, Truss and Kwarteng’s “shock and awe” approach was refreshing. For the first time in decades, a genuine Tory government seemed to be forming. Had they explained and implemented their plans more carefully, it might have worked. Sadly, the cards did not fall that way.

To the delight of President Biden, the IMF, the German Chancellor Olaf Scholz and the globalist community, Jeremy Hunt was installed as CEO of Britain. At a stroke, it destroyed any attempt to reduce the size of the state, help small businesses or cut taxes. In a couple of weeks, the Tory Party has undergone what amounts to a globalist Remainer coup in which there may be no prospect of recovery, whether Johnson or Sunak becomes PM.

It can be dangerous to make political predictions, but I suspect that Johnson will emerge victorious this week. Were this to happen, he would certainly give Labour a harder run at the next election than any of his colleagues; in so doing reducing the size of Labour’s all-but-inevitable majority. This point is crucial to the future of British politics – perhaps for decades to come.

Across the country, and within Labour, the desire for proportional representation is rising. A massive Labour majority would likely send any pro-PR campaign down the order of priorities. Yet a narrow Labour victory, or a situation in which they were reliant on Liberal Democrat support, would bring about this much-needed change to our electoral system.

As Ukip’s leader during the 2015 general election, when we polled nearly four million votes but won just one Commons seat, nobody should be surprised that I support electoral reform. But genuine Conservatives should consider their positions, too.

The Tories have become the party of the big state; high taxes and the failed economic model of low growth and productivity. They appear relaxed about both legal and illegal migration. Their net zero obsession is here to stay, though it will impoverish millions of households. In short, since 2010, they have morphed into a social-democrat metropolitan outfit. And the coup of the last few days means this cannot be reversed, whoever is in charge. For this reason, the Tories must be replaced. Under PR, millions of UK voters would start to feel empowered again, just as they did in 2016.

I’ve been bombarded by requests in recent days to re-enter front line party politics. But I cannot overcome the first-past-the-post system on my own. Several significant high-profile figures must join me if the Tory Party is to face any major challenge under the present set-up. A spirited Boris Johnson campaign, even with all the wrong policies, will bring us closer to the radical change our country needs. I look forward to being a part of this much-needed political revolution when it comes. Conservative values have been too often betrayed.

With reform of our broken electoral system in mind, I wish Mr Johnson well with his endeavours.

317 forever

Established Member
Not sure what top cabinet post you could give Boris.

Foreign Secretary: A man who continually puts his foot in it and shoots from the cuff, his run in the role under May was considered a disaster
Defence Secretary: Ben Wallace is the undisputed best man for the job
Home Secretary: A man who broke his own laws
Chancellor: Your having a laugh
Levelling Up Minister: Might do alright in this but would it be high profile enough for him?
Leader of the House: In charge of party discipline?
Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster? Gets to hobknob with the Royals and preside over official functions, but despite his public school background not sure thats really his thing.
Maybe chairman of the Conservative Party would please the rank and file membership and he could see it as a way to rebuild his powerbase

I get the feeling if he did get a cabinet post he would **** it up and have to resign very quickly, and you still have the standards investigation due in a couple of month, the rumour of which is its going to come down very hard and recommend a long suspension leading to the possibility of a recall vote.
As Chairman Boris could sell the Conservative party without causing any more damage in power within any government departments.

Luke McDonnell

On Moderation
’t get anywhere near the membership this time (mainly due to the high potential of them sticking Johnson back in).

I can’t see anyone other than Sunak becoming PM next week now.
I guess he’ll try and steady th

I'd hope not. Whoever is the leader, it would be truly worrying if the Conservatives win again despite all that has happened.

It would suggest that almost nothing can remove them. If the Tories win the next election, with the odds stacked heavily against them, I honestly think that there is a real risk that we get stuck with them for 30 or more consecutive years (i.e until at least 2040).

It's very bad for democracy if a single party can dominate things so much and remain in power for so long. Does any other Western democracy have one party which dominates so much?
Not Western but an advanced industrialised democracy - the main example I can think of is Japan post 1955 where the Liberal Democratic party has been n government almost continuously except for a few short interregnums since then I think although they call themselves a liberal party, they are more analogous to our Conservative party (a right-wing big tent party) and as explained it is very rare for opposition parties to win a general election in postwar Japan see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1955_System

Another example is Singapore they use the FPTP system like the UK and they have had a single party in power since independence - the People's Action Party (PAP) the last general election the opposition parties won just 10 seats out of 93 parliamentary seats and that was the best performance by opposition parties since independence! But Singapore seems a weird system opposition seem quite a bit weaker than what we have here - can anyone think of any other examples?

But I would not like to see our system become like any of those I think that it is funny that some still think the Tories could still be in with a chance of winning the next election considering the fact that we have now had polls that show an even bigger poll lead for Labour than Tony Blair had - yes the polls may narrow with Sunak in charge, but I cannot see the Tories being back in the lead again in the parliament barring some extraordinary event and it is unlikely they will even go below a 10 point gap again I think that the worst case scenario for Labour now will be a hung parliament with Labour as the largest party so I would say Labour majority most likely outcome with a small outside chance of a hung parliament with Labour as the largest party dependent on a Sunak premiership stabilising things (I can't see a second Boris premiership resulting in that outcome) does anyone agree with that analysis?

reddragon

Established Member
That’s absolutely fine, and hence why I made clear I only personally didn’t want Prime Minister Starmer
Anyone who works, pay taxes, needs the NHS or any other public services such as railways are fools to think that the Tory party supports anyone other than the richest in our world, not even just British richest either.

The Labour Party is only 'bad' because the Tory press run by Tory donors tells you so. Don't be utter fools.

The Tory party ONLY supports tax avoiding oligarchs and such like who can afford private education, healthcare, jets & yachts as totally proven by recent events. If you have your millions in a tax haven vote for them, otherwise get real.

The Labour party have many faults, but that does not include taxing the poor to fund the rich peoples polluting private jets. It includes supporting workers rights, freedoms and dealing with climate issues.

The Tory party wants to privatise the NHS. Have you experienced US healthcare?

I am not a Labour party supporter, but I am not a fool & would NEVER support the Tory party whatever.

We seem now to have a choice between a liar, cheat & a corrupt individual who barely bothers to do his job & squanders our money on his mates OR a super rich tax avoider who whilst good with money is utterly clueless about ordinary people.

Kier Starmer maybe dull as ditch water, and I prefer ordinary people in unions to pull his strings to foreign funders via 55 Tufton Street. Ignore the press lies.

AntoniC

I don`t trust any of the contenders after all the Tories have been in power for 12 years.
What would really amuse me is if Boris having rushed back to the UK to save us (as per the Cult of Boris) fails to get 100 backers and so falls at round one :)

dosxuk

Established Member
My dream scenario would be for Boris to get enough backers, lose the MP's indicative vote and then win the party member vote. It would just cause even more chaos and a general election would not be far off, even without Boris's upcoming suspension and potential recall.

Alternatively, Boris to be appointed as Minister for Brexit Opportunities in a Sunak cabinet would be equally fun.

Sure, not going to lead to stability or long term benefits to anyone, but only a general election has a hope of bringing that, so the more destabilised the current lot get, the better in my eyes.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I don`t trust any of the contenders after all the Tories have been in power for 12 years.
What would really amuse me is if Boris having rushed back to the UK to save us (as per the Cult of Boris) fails to get 100 backers and so falls at round one :)
That is what the country's majority has wanted so far, judging by the general elections that brought in Cameron, kept Cameron and brought in Boris.

DanNCL

Established Member
That is what the country's majority has wanted so far, judging by the general elections that brought in Cameron, kept Cameron and brought in Boris.
So the public can't change their mind in 12 years, but Tory MPs can change their mind in 5 weeks? I think not.

najaB

Veteran Member
The Tories didn't get an absolute majority in any of those elections. As an example, in December 2019 they got 44% of the vote but a massive majority of seats.

Thanks FPTP.

py_megapixel

Established Member
No it isn't. Having a majority of the vote isn't necessary to have a majority of the seats in parliament. In fact, the last time the Tories had a majority of the vote was in 1935, and in 2010 and 2017, they didn't even get a majority of the seats!

Status
Not open for further replies.