• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why do EMT serve Scarborough in the Summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan1990

On Moderation
I'm just wondering why they run an East Midlands service from St Pancras to Scarborough on summer Saturdays and the idea for it. :|

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I'm just wondering why they run an East Midlands service from St Pancras to Scarborough on summer Saturdays and the idea for it. :|

Popular with day trippers/holiday makers traveling from stations on MML. Certainly from York heading back south it can have some very healthy loadings.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Midland Mainline started doing it because, err, some people wanted to travel to and from Scarborough on summer Saturdays.
The idea was then enshrined as a franchise obligation, AIUI.

Tomnot27

It also helps add capacity by providing 2tph to Scarborough from York along with TPE Saturday only extras

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The one time I caught it back from Scarborough to York, it was overcrowded to an irritating extent.

dk1

Veteran Member
I'm a seasoned railwayman & I never get it especially as it's shortly going up to 2tph. How ever is it worth the effort for EMT with the limited extra business compared with the crew training issues? I will & have never understood this one.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I'm a seasoned railwayman & I never get it especially as it's shortly going up to 2tph.

Surely you have just answered your own question? There are enough passengers that 2thp is viable, so 2tph run in some hours to cater for the extra demand. The fact a through service to York and Scarborough is on offer direct from Sheffield and various East Midlands stations is an extra bonus.

dk1

Veteran Member
Surely you have just answered your own question? There are enough passengers that 2thp is viable, so 2tph run in some hours to cater for the extra demand. The fact a through service to York and Scarborough is on offer direct from Sheffield and various East Midlands stations is an extra bonus.

But how many are through passengers from the Midland Main Line? So, no I haven't answered my own question.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
It's mainly there to serve the East Mids to Scarborough market, although from what I saw last time, it carried a good load through from London too and seemed to provide a useful alternative for the capital.

Crew training isn't too big an issue I'd imagine, as top few links (I believe?) at Sheffield will have the York service all year round to keep their route knowledge up to scratch. Maybe a refresher once a year to Scarborough?

It's also useful as a tool for an ORCATS raid each summer.

Bevan Price

Established Member
Didn't they start the service off with 170s before being upgraded to 222s?
Sam

It was a replacement for the former Leicester - Scarborough summer saturday service. Not seen it for a couple of years, but it used to load quite well on some saturdays. Does it still run as far as York in winter ?

Mugby

Established Member
It's a good duty for the crews as well. They get to spend the whole day in Scarborough too.

It does run as far as York throughout the winter.

Bungle965

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
It was a replacement for the former Leicester - Scarborough summer saturday service. Not seen it for a couple of years, but it used to load quite well on some saturdays. Does it still run as far as York in winter ?
Thanks for that info, yes in the winter it only runs to York.
The Scarborough service was certainly running with 170s in 2000 when I started at MML
Thanks for confirming that.
Sam

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I caught it last year, was full throughout. I know they need breaks, but it did seem a waste having the train crew all there all day! Must add to the cost. But then again, in the winter it sits even longer at York-do the crew all stay there all day too?

I think a 5-car Meridian isn't long enough in the summer though. I caught it at Derby, already pretty full with through pax, a lot for both york and Scarborough. York ones replaced at York. I'd say it was certainly well worth running from what I saw.

Clansman

Established Member
So what's the York and Leeds EMT service for?

Are they just there to take the ease of XC services which see heavy loading from the Midlands to Yorkshire?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
So what's the York and Leeds EMT service for?

Well Leeds is because the HSTs are going that way anyway to get to/from Neville Hill so they might as well run in service to pick up some revenue. York is presumably a mixture of keeping route knowledge for the Scarborough service (less to need refreshing on) and also a destination in its own right of course.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Well Leeds is because the HSTs are going that way anyway to get to/from Neville Hill so they might as well run in service to pick up some revenue. York is presumably a mixture of keeping route knowledge for the Scarborough service (less to need refreshing on) and also a destination in its own right of course.

and a slice of York - London ticket revenue ?

AndyHA

This train goes back to BR days . In the early 1980s it started at Luton and run to Scarborough, using one of the "Bedford Line " commuter sets of Mark 1s . That sat idle at weekends in the Sidings at Bedford .

philjo

Established Member
In either August 1983 or 1984 we used the through summer saturday Kings Cross to Scarborough service, boarding at Stevenage. I think that service stopped running shortly before ECML electrifiction?

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
and a slice of York - London ticket revenue ?

It would be an incredibly thin slice if any at all! One and a half return trains per week (the Saturday service is to/from St Pancras but on Sunday only the return goes to London) and taking longer than any of the GC/VTEC services means that it would be a minuscule amount of revenue from flexible tickets.

gerryuk

Crew training isn't too big an issue I'd imagine, as top few links (I believe?) at Sheffield will have the York service all year round to keep their route knowledge up to scratch. Maybe a refresher once a year to Scarborough?

Do EMT have drivers, crews based in Sheffield? I thought they were all in Derby / Nottingham?

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Do EMT have drivers, crews based in Sheffield? I thought they were all in Derby / Nottingham?

I know the catering crew got off/on at Sheffield. But I don't think the train crew did. There is no catering from sheffield, and none till sheffield coming back.

Tomnick

Established Member
No drivers based at Sheffield - everything north of there is Derby work. There are TMs (and other traincrew) based there though.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

I see Tomnick beat me to it.

Only TMs at Sheffield, and the top links tend to do the more esoteric routes, but the principle is the same with drivers from whichever depot w.r.t. route knowledge.

There is a Rail Gourmet base at Sheffield as someone upthread mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.