• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Why Don't LNER Run A Scarborough To London Kings Cross Service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anvil1984

Established Member
IIRC it‘s just that such a through ticketed bus service needs a sponsoring TOC to appear on displays. (It’s little different to the Isle of Wight ferries that appear on RTT for Portsmouth Harbour and are apparently operated by SW.)

Yeah I wasn't sure of the ins and outs so thank you for the little added bit. I was just correcting that LNER don't actually run a bus there and as you say just one of those quirks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Metroman62

Yeah I wasn't sure of the ins and outs so thank you for the little added bit. I was just correcting that LNER don't actually run a bus there and as you say just one of those quirks
Indeed I thought it strange that it showed up as LNER, but did wonder why and thought it may be a hang over from a past service or requirement.

dk1

Veteran Member
LNER don't run a bus from York to Whitby. Its a normal service bus ran by Yorkshire Coastliner (or is it just Coastliner now). It's appeared on the departure boards at York for years. Through train/bus tickets are available for use on that service however
Same with Peterborough where departure screens display the XL bus services to Dereham (they actually continue on to Norwich) via Wisbech & Kings Lynn.

Veteran Member
Same with Peterborough where departure screens display the XL bus services to Dereham (they actually continue on to Norwich) via Wisbech & Kings Lynn.
That one is the successor to a franchise commitment at privatisation - ISTR originally GNER-liveried coaches were used (as with Newark-Lincoln and Wakefield-Bradford, the last being particularly unsuccessful! - was there another route as well?).

dk1

Veteran Member
That one is the successor to a franchise commitment at privatisation - ISTR originally GNER-liveried coaches were used (as with Newark-Lincoln and Wakefield-Bradford, the last being particularly unsuccessful! - was there another route as well?).
I remember it being on BR maps back in the 80s too.

Status
Not open for further replies.