• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Window destination stickers

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeijingDave

I used to rip these off the windows when I was a kid in the 80s/early 90s. When a train had reached its destination of course, not before.

I wish I'd kept some of them, and would love to see people's examples, if anyone has any photos.

The most unusual one I remember having was a Llandudno - Holyhead one, which doubled back at Llandudno Junction of course. Am I imagining that this could have been loco-hauled or would I have got it off a DMU?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andy R. A.

I can remember a Loco hauled service back in the late 1970s, I think it was 1A86 Holyhead to Euston, which detached three coaches at Llandudno Junction for Llandudno. It was an unusual move, and caused a few delays if my memory serves me correctly ?

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I used to rip these off the windows when I was a kid in the 80s/early 90s. When a train had reached its destination of course, not before.

I wish I'd kept some of them, and would love to see people's examples, if anyone has any photos.

The most unusual one I remember having was a Llandudno - Holyhead one, which doubled back at Llandudno Junction of course. Am I imagining that this could have been loco-hauled or would I have got it off a DMU?
I swiped a few back in the 1990s, mainly from London-Leeds services after riding from Wakefield.
There may have been the odd one swiped from Cross-country services that were far from the end of the journey. In my defence I was young and a bit daft!

I don't remember seeing them on anything other than Intercity services. The Leeds to Carlisle 156s didn't have them as far as I can recall, nor did Trans-Pennine services.

Unfortunately I no longer possess these. My brother may have held on to a few, I'll ask him if I remember to.

D6130

Established Member
@61653 HTAFC "The Leeds - Carlisle 156s didn't have them as far as I can recall, nor did Trans Pennine services".

I beg to differ. This window sticker from the late 1990s displays both the Provincial Sector logo and their early 'TransPennine Express' logo. Similar window stickers were used on the Leeds - Carlisle and vice-versa class 156-operated services for a number of years but, sadly, I failed to keep any.

Attachments

• IMG_20220708_173106.jpg
    IMG_20220708_173106.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 147
Last edited:

Iskra

Established Member
Doesn’t the Night Riviera still have these? Presumably the only remaining service to do so?

I have a BR Settle-Carlisle one, purchased off Ebay for a nominal sum. I wish I’d been a bit more enterprising back in the day.

@61653 HTAFC "The Leeds - Carlisle 156s didn't have them as far as I can recall, nor did Trans Pennine services".

I beg to differ. This window sticker from the late 1990s displays both the Provincial Sector logo and their early 'TransPennine Express' logo. Similar window stickers were used on the Leeds - Carlisle and vice-versa class 156-operated services for a number of years but, sadly, I failed to keep any.
I remember the Arriva Trains Northern class 158 to Glasgow had paper ones too.

The exile

Established Member
A few reminders of a mis-spent youth. Most (though I confess not all) of the paper ones were removed after the last stop. The continental one, which was of course designed for re-use, disappeared into my bag at the point at which the last ever run became officially set down only.IMG_2627.JPGIMG_2629.JPGIMG_2628.JPG

cadder toad

I used to take these too - never more than one at a time - so there were many left for the passengers at the next stop to see. In my defence they would 'fall' off when condensation built up on the door windows. So I was actually tidying up. Don't know what happened to my collection.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I used to take these too - never more than one at a time - so there were many left for the passengers at the next stop to see. In my defence they would 'fall' off when condensation built up on the door windows. So I was actually tidying up. Don't know what happened to my collection.

I had a great big roll of them taped end to end but unfortunately they disappeared years ago.
I had some good ones too!

Alex365Dash

Here’s a photo of a window sticker from just a few months ago off the side of a 158 sitting in Brighton…

4E61266E-8472-461E-80EC-8EA726AAC6E5.jpeg

Alt text: window sticker shown on a 158 is for 1V98 17:02 Brighton - Bristol Parkway on 13th May 2022, the last GWR service to run from Brighton, calling at…
…Hove, Shoreham-by-Sea, Worthing, Barnham, Chichester, Havant, Cosham, Portchester, Fareham, Southampton Central, Romsey, Salisbury, Warminster, Dilton Marsh, Westbury, Trowbridge, Bradford-on-Avon, Avoncliff, Freshford, Bath Spa, Oldfield Park, Keynsham, Bristol Temple Meads, Filton Abbey Wood and Bristol Parkway.

Last edited:

Railsigns

Established Member
Here are some that I acquired in the 1980s.

Attachments

• window stickers.jpg
    window stickers.jpg
    1,022.3 KB · Views: 124

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member

I have a recollection of being on an Arriva Trains Northern Service from Cleethorpes to Manchester Airport on a 158 and seeing the conductor removing them from the window as we approached the Airport, this would have been late 2003 or early 2004.
Use of them may have been intermittent. I don't ever recall seeing them on services via Huddersfield, nor on other Regional Railways (or their successors) services that I used around West Yorkshire, but then I didn't see every single service. That said, by 2003-2004 I had moved away, having begun an exile from the railway a couple of years prior because I'd discovered beer and women!

With regards to labels yes the Night Riv still uses them, but also the LNER 91s to London Kings Cross !!, never seen the down road versions though.

With regards to the OP yes there was a llandudno label, As I recall starting from Derby
afixed to none other thn a pacer

Voila

Attachments

• 45988340405_019ae541ed_k.jpg
    45988340405_019ae541ed_k.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 91
Last edited:

High Dyke

Established Member
I used to have plenty, but can only find these.
20220710_181512.jpg
Image: Carriage window label for stations from Cardiff - Brighton (via Southampton). Logo: Severn Solent Line.

20220710_181507.jpg
Image: Carriage window label. London Kings Cross- Cleethorpes (via Lincoln).

20220710_181500.jpg
Image: Carriage window label. Exeter- London Waterloo (via Yeovil and Salisbury). Network South East logo
20220710_181456.jpg
Image.: Carriage window label. Cardiff - Portsmouth Harbour. Logo: Severn Solent Line.
20220710_181444.jpg
Image: Carriage window label. London Paddington - Penzance. Logo: First Great Western.

Springs Branch

Established Member
Not a destination label, but the paper window stickers I wished I'd kept and 'recycled' on a future journey were those occasionally applied to the windows of First Class compartments in Mk1 corridor stock, saying "For use of holders of Second Class tickets"*

I'm not sure whether I'd have had the brass neck to do my own bit of D.I.Y. declassifying with a crumpled and grotty paper sticker - any patrolling guard would most likely have taken exception - but the fact is I wasn't smart enough to even think about harvesting those stickers back in the day. Of course I always made use of any such First Class compartment I came across.

* - Diplomatically worded by BR to avoid any hint of a reference to 'second class passengers'

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
With regards to labels yes the Night Riv still uses them, but also the LNER 91s to London Kings Cross !!, never seen the down road versions though.

With regards to the OP yes there was a llandudno label, As I recall starting from Derby
afixed to none other thn a pacer

Voila
I've stated upthread that I couldn't recall seeing them on Regional Railways services through Huddersfield... but your post has jogged a memory. One of the ones my brother and I "liberated" was from a 156 that had just run from Llandudno to Wakefield Westgate!

That Pacer didn't start from Llandudno though, it's even worse: all the way from Holyhead on a 142!

WesternLancer

Established Member
Some great examples posted up thread.

I recall c1982 in Hull a member of staff must have noticed me taking one off as a souvenir or maybe I asked if I could have one, in nay case he took me over to a large cupboard with shelving racks in it, adjacent to a platform area and opened it up and it had a wide variety of different such labels for various services and he selected one from each to give me.

I suspect you could also buy them for small sums at BR's Collectors Corner.

Some great examples posted up thread.

I recall c1982 in Hull a member of staff must have noticed me taking one off as a souvenir or maybe I asked if I could have one, in nay case he took me over to a large cupboard with shelving racks in it, adjacent to a platform area and opened it up and it had a wide variety of different such labels for various services and he selected one from each to give me.

I suspect you could also buy them for small sums at BR's Collectors Corner.
For the princely sum of 10p each

Davester50

Guilty! Used to go for the named trains in particular.
Also acquired an HST roller blind from an East Coast set. Goodness knows where they all ended up. No doubt at my mum's house in a box.

colchesterken

I had a run in with window stickers, twas in 1991 I was living in Ipswich and working in Colchester
I had been to the dentists which meant getting a later train than usual, and I did not know the times, and feeling guilty about being late for work, Rushed into the station there was an inter city waiting to leave, I did not look at the departure board as I was in a hurry to get the train, in the window was a sticker, Ipswich, Colchester, Liverpool St, great not too late for work, Looked out of the window to see Marks Tey sand siding go past at 100mph - non stop to Liv St
I tore off the window sticker and discussed the matter with the conductor !!!!! . He said sorry the staff at Norwich had not removed the
stickers from the last use of the train, He signed the back for the journey home and I was 2 hrs later for work than I should be, I got ribbed everyone said that is a novel excuse
I hope they get the electric signs right on the side of our shiny new FLIRTy trains

nw1

Established Member
I'm not fully certain, but I think the branding dates from the late 80's.
Perhaps at the time of introduction of 155s (May 1988, IIRC)?
I did use the line once in the 155 era (May 1990) but that was a one-off so can't remember if the branding existed at that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.