• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Without additional funding from government there is a real risk to the survival of Eurostar

Status
Not open for further replies.

daodao

Established Member
Neither North of London Eurostar nor Nightstar never happened.
Exactly. Eurostar is only of use for London and South-East England. For the rest of the UK, it is an irrelevance, so most people in the UK wouldn't care if it went to the wall. Post-Brexit and post-Covid, travel between the UK and Europe is only likely to recover slowly and partially, so Eurostar's future prospects are not good.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Exactly. Eurostar is only of use for London and South-East England.

Have you heard of changing trains at St Pancras? I've used Eurostar in spite of (then) living in the North. I'm far from the only one.

By the same token, most of the UK wouldn't care if Transpennine Express went to the wall either. Should we let that happen?

Post-Brexit and post-Covid, travel between the UK and Europe is only likely to recover slowly and partially, so Eurostar's future prospects are not good.

But it will recover, eventually (even if slowly).

daodao

Established Member
By the same token, most of the UK wouldn't care if Transpennine Express went to the wall either. Should we let that happen?
False equivalence and what-aboutery. TPE provides key interurban services in the North of England and Scotland. Eurostar provides non-essential rail services to foreign countries and is almost entirely owned by foreigners. Without French government funding it may be at risk, as it is majority-owned by a French state company (SNCF), but it is not the responsibility of the UK government.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can we stay in topic please

The forum has plenty of capacity for anyone to create a new thread to discuss anything else :)

duesselmartin

Established Member
We have more culturally in common with Europe than many appreciate. The only significant difference really is language.

I'd argue that the move from Waterloo to St Pancras was a big step in making Eurostar more relevant to "The North".
Not sure why you mention language. Danish and Italian is not that different to English to Italian, except more english is spoken in Italy than Danish.
The biggest difference I would see in the rail system due to loading gauge.

Admin. I know its OT but it highlights that there is a case for a direct link between the UK and the continent and that more than two countries could pitch in to save Eurostar.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
False equivalence and what-aboutery. TPE provides key interurban services in the North of England and Scotland. Eurostar provides non-essential rail services to foreign countries and is almost entirely owned by foreigners. Without French government funding it may be at risk, as it is majority-owned by a French state company (SNCF), but it is not the responsibility of the UK government.

(The following I believe to be on topic)

~500 people a day (all of whom are to and from the UK, so nothing to do with "foreign" countries) have been using Eurostar for essential travel reasons, which must be proved before being allowed to travel. You cannot claim that it is not an essential service to some extent.

So, yes, it's failure would have an impact on essential travel to and from the UK, irrespective of ownership.

DavidCarbonis

(The following I believe to be on topic)

~500 people a day (all of whom are to and from the UK, so nothing to do with "foreign" countries) have been using Eurostar for essential travel reasons, which must be proved before being allowed to travel. You cannot claim that it is not an essential service to some extent.

So, yes, it's failure would have an impact on essential travel to and from the UK, irrespective of ownership.
As someone who has had to make several essential journeys between Belgium and the UK (allowed by the rules of both countries each and every time and no more often that was strictly necessary), I heartily second this as I also consider that it is an essential service that has made such travel far easier, greener, less time consuming, and with less exposure to other people (thinking of huge queues at Heathrow of multiple plane-loads of passengers vs just those I shared a train with) than if I had flown.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
As someone who has had to make several essential journeys between Belgium and the UK (allowed by the rules of both countries each and every time and no more often that was strictly necessary), I heartily second this as I also consider that it is an essential service that has made such travel far easier, greener, less time consuming, and with less exposure to other people (thinking of huge queues at Heathrow of multiple plane-loads of passengers vs just those I shared a train with) than if I had flown.

Can't think of anything better for social distancing than a whacking great 400m long Eurostar!

AverageTD

We have more culturally in common with Europe than many appreciate. The only significant difference really is language.

I'd argue that the move from Waterloo to St Pancras was a big step in making Eurostar more relevant to "The North".
In the unlikely event that paths can be found, I wonder if EMR could operate some "feeder" services similar to the Welsh ones to Waterloo. If someone was travelling from Manchester to Brussels, I wonder if they'd rather spend 20-30 minutes extra on a direct train to St Pancras via Derby rather than a 15 minute out of station change from Euston.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Have you heard of changing trains at St Pancras? I've used Eurostar in spite of (then) living in the North. I'm far from the only one.
Only true among railway enthusiasts, staff on discount tickets, and those who do not fly, either for environmental reasons, or because they've a fear of flying. The reality is Eurostar don't try to integrate with other rail services at either end very hard, and they most certainly don't offer sensible prices.

But it will recover, eventually (even if slowly).
Maybe, but who do you propose pays the bills meantime?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
In the unlikely event that paths can be found, I wonder if EMR could operate some "feeder" services similar to the Welsh ones to Waterloo. If someone was travelling from Manchester to Brussels, I wonder if they'd rather spend 20-30 minutes extra on a direct train to St Pancras via Derby rather than a 15 minute out of station change from Euston.

No, most people prefer the fast journey to Euston 3 times per hour then the relatively short walk. Not one slow train per day.

Only true among railway enthusiasts, staff on discount tickets, and those who do not fly, either for environmental reasons, or because they've a fear of flying.

That's still quite a reasonable number of people. Also, people for whom getting to St Pancake is just as easy as getting to an airport (e.g. somewhere like Doncaster)

The reality is Eurostar don't try to integrate with other rail services at either end very hard, and they most certainly don't offer sensible prices.

How could they "try harder"? They are doing their job of running trains between London and Paris/Brussels/Amsterdam.

In normal times, £58 return is more than sensible.

Maybe, but who do you propose pays the bills meantime?

Some combination of DfT and French/Belgian governments.

biko

The reality is Eurostar don't try to integrate with other rail services at either end very hard, and they most certainly don't offer sensible prices.
I wouldn't say there is no integration with Dutch and Belgian services. Eurostar offers fares to any station in both countries and the trains call at the main stations where you can change to nearly any region. There is even an unofficial cross platform interchange in Rotterdam to the north of the Netherlands! Also the fares I've used to the Netherlands were really sensible: €35 for a single London to any station in NL in August.

Starmill

Veteran Member
That's still quite a reasonable number of people
Which you estimate exclusively because you're one of them. Not a group who can provide justification for potentially hundreds of millions of pounds of public money being lost.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Which you estimate exclusively because you're one of them. Not a group who can provide justification for potentially hundreds of millions of pounds of public money being lost.

As with rail to air, the best way to encourage through travel would be applying the protections you get with UK domestic train travel to connections between domestic rail and Eurostar and domestic rail and air, regardless of the holding or not of a through ticket. That would just require legislation to require rebooking on the next train/flight and provision of hotel accommodation if needed, subject to published minimum connection times being met.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I wouldn't say there is no integration with Dutch and Belgian services. Eurostar offers fares to any station in both countries and the trains call at the main stations where you can change to nearly any region. There is even an unofficial cross platform interchange in Rotterdam to the north of the Netherlands! Also the fares I've used to the Netherlands were really sensible: €35 for a single London to any station in NL in August.
Those fares are only on general sale for people in the UK from London to Belgian stations. You cannot book them without changing to the Dutch site for Dutch stations and aren't available at all to stations in France or Germany. Eurostar withdrew their facility to book from UK stations which they used to offer by telephone or online. Nobody knows specifically why. So I'd stand by the assertion that they haven't made very much effort. Lots of cut-price tickets have been made available on Amsterdam trains while they're ramping up but those fares aren't available to Brussels on the same train, nor at comparable rates to France. Genuinely through tickets to German stations were previously available but no longer.

As with rail to air, the best way to encourage through travel would be applying the protections you get with UK domestic train travel to connections between domestic rail and Eurostar and domestic rail and air, regardless of the holding or not of a through ticket. That would just require legislation to require rebooking on the next train/flight and provision of hotel accommodation if needed, subject to published minimum connection times being met.
I completely agree. The current passenger rights provision make it impossible that journeys like Manchester to Koln by international rail will become mainstream.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

No, I'm not, as I don't live in the north, and make either one or zero return Eurostar journeys in any given calendar year. I'm just looking at the situation objectively, without personal prejudice.

Starmill

Veteran Member
No, I'm not, as I don't live in the north, and make either one or zero return Eurostar journeys in any given calendar year. I'm just looking at the situation objectively, without personal prejudice.
There's no objective analysis that suggests Eurostar is competing with budget airlines for journeys from the North of England, so it will collect the trivial business I've identified. Compared with the proportion of the market based in London and the Home Counties this is insignificant.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
There's no objective analysis that suggests Eurostar is competing with budget airlines for journeys from the North of England, so it will collect the trivial business I've identified.

I didn't make that claim that it was "competition". I'm merely challenging the claim that Eurostar is irrelevant to the north, when it is relevant to some people.

Compared with the proportion of the market based in London and the Home Counties this is insignificant.

Even if you only counted the population of London and the South East, that is still a quarter of the population of the entire UK.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I didn't make that claim that it was "competition". I'm merely challenging the claim that Eurostar is irrelevant to the north, when it is relevant to some people.
OK then it's not irrelevant. It's nearly irrelevant. Does that somehow change something?

Ianno87

Veteran Member
OK then it's not irrelevant. It's nearly irrelevant. Does that somehow change something?

If it's nearly irrelevant, that means its relevant, by definition.

It is binary - either it is irrelevant or it is not.

Starmill

Veteran Member
If it's nearly irrelevant, that means its relevant, by definition.

It is binary - either it is irrelevant or it is not.
Everything is relevant to everything else at least a little bit. Where would you draw the line? 1% of custom? 0.1%? 0.0001%? One person? All technically "relevant". I'm willing to bet there's one person who lives on Skye who usues Eurostar regularly. Are they relevant?

MotCO

Established Member

I'm not sure I understand your point. If you purchase CIV tickets from your home station to St Pancras, then you get protection if you are delayed on your journey to St Pancras, and can travel on the next Eurostar train.

Starmill

Veteran Member
I'm not sure I understand your point. If you purchase CIV tickets from your home station to St Pancras, then you get protection if you are delayed on your journey to St Pancras, and can travel on the next Eurostar train.
Only for one connection though. If you've missed a subsequent connection this isn't necessarily protected. It's also not clear you're able to demand accommodation be provided, so you may need to wait overnight in a station or on the street for the next train, or pay for your own accommodation.

MotCO

Established Member
Only for one connection though. If you've missed a subsequent connection this isn't necessarily protected.

Yes, I've wondered about that. So it works for home to St Pancras, and St Pancras to Gare du Nord, but not for your connecting train from Gare du Nord? Why is that not covered - it is still one journey?

What is the parallel with airlines? If you go from Exeter to Gatwick, Gatwick to Schipol, and Schipol to Oslo on one journey, are all links covered?

Starmill

Veteran Member
Yes, I've wondered about that. So it works for home to St Pancras, and St Pancras to Gare du Nord, but not for your connecting train from Gare du Nord? Why is that not covered - it is still one journey?

What is the parallel with airlines? If you go from Exeter to Gatwick, Gatwick to Schipol, and Schipol to Oslo on one journey, are all links covered?
You would be covered if your journey were using one ticket. So Edinburgh to Dresden would have been covered with two tickets, one from Edinburgh to London and one London to Dresden. Today you'd need a third ticket.

johnnychips

Established Member
Eurostar withdrew their facility to book from UK stations which they used to offer by telephone or online. Nobody knows specifically why. So I'd stand by the assertion that they haven't made very much effort.
I thought the justification for this was that hardly anybody used them. I’m sure I saw some figure - and I might be talking rubbish here - that the number from Leeds was only in double figures in a year. Yet two colleagues and I used the service from Doncaster to Brussels four times a year, and I’m sure we can’t have been the only ones. Yes, I suppose you can buy London CIV tickets, but how many people know about them?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

CIV tickets are an awkward faff and most people don't know about them. Better that the right existed for all tickets.

paul1609

Established Member
I thought the justification for this was that hardly anybody used them. I’m sure I saw some figure - and I might be talking rubbish here - that the number from Leeds was only in double figures in a year. Yet two colleagues and I used the service from Doncaster to Brussels four times a year, and I’m sure we can’t have been the only ones. Yes, I suppose you can buy London CIV tickets, but how many people know about them?
Yep that was right, I think that Eurostar expected that moving to St Pancras would boost through traffic from the North but the reality was that it hardly made any difference to the number of through tickets sold and it was certainly not enough to justify the sales operation. I think its such a niche market that removal of the through ticket arrangement didn't reduce the sales very much people just bought tickets from London instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.