• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMR Class 170s on Hereford services

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
Mod Note: Posts #1 - #18 originally in this thread.

I think they are running mileage runs on the snow hill lines and I believe any extra 196s will be doing some snow hill runs once the all units have been introduced on the salop and Hereford line

I believe West Midlands Railway said about these topping up the existing fleet (172's) on the Snowhill lines to provide extra space. Good stuff :) !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

newtownmgr

I believe West Midlands Railway said about these topping up the existing fleet (172's) on the Snowhill lines to provide extra space. Good stuff :) !
Currently no plans to use 196’s on snow hill lines. If there is any use it will be limited as only Worcester crews will sign them, no snow Hill or Leamington crews

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Currently no plans to use 196’s on snow hill lines. If there is any use it will be limited as only Worcester crews will sign them, no snow Hill or Leamington crews
I imagine in a similar fashion to when 170+153 diagrams used to operate over the Snow Hill lines — those used Worcester crews right?

newtownmgr

I imagine in a similar fashion to when 170+153 diagrams used to operate over the Snow Hill lines — those used Worcester crews right?
Yes they did. There will be enough 172’s to cover the snow hill lines now as we have both the 172/0 & /1’s.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Are there even 170s on the Hereford line these days? All I ever see is horrible 172s.
Yes they do still turn up. A couple of weeks ago during the Commonwealth Games I travelled on a double 170/5 formation on the line.

At least I haven’t seen a 2-carriage service on the line in a good while.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Yes they do still turn up. A couple of weeks ago during the Commonwealth Games I travelled on a double 170/5 formation on the line.

During said games I had to endure a solo 172005 on an afternoon run from Birmingham to Hereford, let's just say it was rather busy all the way through!

Yesterday I had 172005+170514, and another service had 170512+170501 on it. As for the forum member who declares 172s to be horrible, I cannot agree with that opinion at all. That is all I will say on that matter!

The 172+170 pair was considered to be my first such pairing for my travels, and for anyone wondering I used the 172.

newtownmgr

Tell that to whoever put a mix of 170s and 172s on the Hereford line... I'm fed up of the latter!
No choice due to some of the 170’s already going. Always has been mixed fleet on the Herefords. Before 172’s it was 150’s & 153’s as well as the 170’s. Once the 196’s are in service it should just be 196’s only as far as I’m aware.

Worcester has 3 x 170 booked off the depot each day. 2 as a pair on Herefords all day & 1 attached to a 172/0 or /1 which does a a couple of commuter runs in the morning before going to Tyseley until coming out again in the evening. This allows for any set swaps that need to be done as the 170 & 172 units that work off Worcester all start & finish at Worcester. Worcester can only fuel/clean & do limited maintenance.

Last edited:

43102EMR

Established Member
No choice due to some of the 170’s already going. Always has been mixed fleet on the Herefords. Before 172’s it was 150’s & 153’s as well as the 170’s. Once the 196’s are in service it should just be 196’s only as far as I’m aware.
Surely the odd 172 or two will work a few peak hour services? Otherwise, I hope they’ll be used to strengthen Snow Hill Line services which have been rather unreliable as of late…

newtownmgr

Surely the odd 172 or two will work a few peak hour services? Otherwise, I hope they’ll be used to strengthen Snow Hill Line services which have been rather unreliable as of late…
Should be enough 196’s i believe. Obviously there is the option to use 172’s if required.

GWVillager

Are there even 170s on the Hereford line these days? All I ever see is horrible 172s.
Yes, there is one diagram a day with them, usually the one with the 10:39 from Hereford. I made a post of all the times a few pages back, presumably this will be the first train to transfer to 196s.

2-coach 172s are reasonably common still, as Techniquest pointed out, there were 2 diagrams with them on the first day of the games I believe, I too had to endure one - it may have been the same train. The Hereford line is really in need of the new trains, perhaps more so than Shrewsbury.

newtownmgr

Yes, there is one diagram a day with them, usually the one with the 10:39 from Hereford. I made a post of all the times a few pages back, presumably this will be the first train to transfer to 196s.

2-coach 172s are reasonably common still, as Techniquest pointed out, there were 2 diagrams with them on the first day of the games I believe, I too had to endure one - it may have been the same train. The Hereford line is really in need of the new trains, perhaps more so than Shrewsbury.
Would say 2 cars are reasonably rare to be honest. As regards newer trains than the Shrewsbury line. The 172’s are newer than the 170’s or anything Tfw are currently using.

Sprinter107

2 car trains are not common on the Hereford line. Yes, they do crop up occasionally, but thry are not regular by any means.

Liam L

Listed the diagram the pair of 170s are usually on… there also usually 170/172 on the peak extra diagram

05:56 Worcester Shrub Hill - Hereford
07:13 Hereford - Birmingham
08:50 Birmingham - Hereford
10:39 Hereford - Birmingham
12:50 Birmingham - Hereford
14:39 Hereford - Birmingham
16:50 Birmingham - Hereford
1848 Hereford Birmingham New Street
21:00 Birmingham New Street - Hereford
22:59 Hereford - Worcester Shrub Hill

Usually a 170/172 paired together on the peak diagram

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I can't comment on the 196s thing, but I do have to agree with the other person who said that 2-car trains are no longer the normal provision on Hereford services. Good news that too, the days of cramming into a packed 2-car train will hopefully never be the usual standard again. I've had single 170/5s too many times in the past and I never want to endure that again!

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I can't comment on the 196s thing, but I do have to agree with the other person who said that 2-car trains are no longer the normal provision on Hereford services. Good news that too, the days of cramming into a packed 2-car train will hopefully never be the usual standard again. I've had single 170/5s too many times in the past and I never want to endure that again!
Agreed, pre-Covid 2-car services were an all too common occurrence, but their disappearance appears to be one of the few benefits that has arisen from the pandemic! I recall back around 2019 a number of diagrams were 2-car services and covered by any of the following from WMRs rolling stock fruit machine: 170/5, 172/0, 172/2, 150/1, 2*153 (last one was an exotic rarity). I don’t think all of those combinations were visible simultaneously as 150s went off lease before the 172/0s arrived if I recall.

GWVillager

I wonder if "WMR Hereford rolling stock" or something along those lines might be a better title for this thread- there seems to be continuing discussion of it in the 196 thread that doesn't exclusively deal with 170s.

Status
Not open for further replies.