• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMR Class 196 Build and Implementation

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

newtownmgr

Have been on a 6 car 172 from Shrub Hill to New Street. Had to move forward at New Street as we didn’t get far enough into the platform at first to release all doors! :lol:
That will be down to the signaller not clearing the mid platform signal. They are supposed to check the formations before allowing them into the station.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Indeed, they were something of a surprise when they first started with London Overground - Not only a unit ordered with the foresight of them not sticking around for too long, but a rather spacious 2+2 layout for an item of stock ordered by TfL.

The fact they weren't sticking around for long is why they didn't have longitudinal. It was so they appealed to more TOCs once no longer needed.

Halish Railway

Established Member
I do find those interior photos somewhat amusing - first day of the class in service and it's just somewhat bored / miserable looking normal passengers looking like they're just on "the train" :lol:
I think a lot of passengers on that train would be be miserable because they’re on that train instead of the preceding Voyager to London which was cancelled.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Don’t think a 6 car 196 will fit on Bromsgrove. A 6 car 323 only just fits.
Are the carriages significantly longer on the 196s then? A quick gander at the sectional appendix shows the platforms at Bromsgrove to be 150m. Now I’m aware there needs to be a certain extra tolerance (5m or something?) to allow a train to ‘fit’ in the platform; assuming so that would give a max carriage length of just over 24m. I don’t doubt you as I haven’t seen a 196, I’m just a little surprised that’s all if you’re right as I would have hoped that Bromsgrove was designed in a way that it wasn’t strictly limited to trains whose lengths are multiples of 23m — after all we’ve had trains with longer carriages for a few years now.
On the move yes indeed. When not, well, they set the idle rpm to the higher 170 one :p
Fair enough, admittedly I’m yet to come across one of the Civity DMUs in the flesh, so I’m only going by videos I’ve seen online which invariably show them moving!

tomuk

Established Member
TfW quote the 197s as follows I assume the 196s are very similar:

Train length
  • 2-car: 48.05 m (157 ft 8 in)
  • 3-car: 71.40 m (234 ft 3 in)
Car length
  • DM cars: 24.03 m (78 ft 10 in)
  • MSL cars: 23.35 m (76 ft 7 in)

william.martin

On Moderation
0651 SHR-BHM
0800 BHM-SHR
0911 SHR-BHM
Empty to Tyseley LMD

Morning Peak only.
Thanks for that, bit annoying that I will be on a 170 on Wednesday however I can say goodbye to what it most likely my second to most ridden class of train (it's unlikely I shall ever be on a EMR, XC or ScotRail one)

Saw 196105 parked in Shrewsbury abbey forgate C's today while on a passing 170.

Attachments

• IMG_20221024_101241.jpg
    IMG_20221024_101241.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:

HST274

Tried to catch one today but the last Shrewsbury to BHM train was cancelled at Wolverhampton 50 minutes late. It will probably be a little while before I try again :rolleyes:More on topic is there any idea how fast the diagrams will be ramped up over the coming weeks/months?IMG_20221025_105448.jpg

william.martin

On Moderation
Tried to catch one today but the last Shrewsbury to BHM train was cancelled at Wolverhampton 50 minutes late. It will probably be a little while before I try again :rolleyes:More on topic is there any idea how fast the diagrams will be ramped up over the coming weeks/months?View attachment 122600
Talking about it being 50 mins late, I find that a lot with WMR, the other day I couldn't complete my journey because they terminated early at Wellington, though a good opportunity to get a shot of a 170 on plat 3

The diagrams will be slowly ramped up with a second unit entering service soon, though I can not give a link to the website as I viewed it a while ago, if a 170 fails, it shall be replaced by a 196 for the remainder of the day in most circumstances.

Talking about it being 50 mins late, I find that a lot with WMR, the other day I couldn't complete my journey because they terminated early at Wellington, though a good opportunity to get a shot of a 170 on plat 3

The diagrams will be slowly ramped up with a second unit entering service soon.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
The diagrams will be slowly ramped up with a second unit entering service soon, though I can not give a link to the website as I viewed it a while ago, if a 170 fails, it shall be replaced by a 196 for the remainder of the day in most circumstances.
Is this more 'information' that is really just you think out loud? What is your source for this? If you viewed this supposed website a whole ago it won't be up to date. 196 launch has been very fluid with changes to dates and plans throughout this year.

There's been no talk of replacing failed 170s with 196s internally that I'm aware of. Yes, more units will come onto diagrams soon. That's just pointing out the obvious given the plan is to have most out by December.

D365

Veteran Member
I do find those interior photos somewhat amusing - first day of the class in service and it's just somewhat bored / miserable looking normal passengers looking like they're just on "the train" :lol:
Well, to most passengers on board it would just be “the train” to work.
I suspect that's where the amusement comes from - that some of us get excited, while for others it's just another day in the office.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Genuinely interested to know, has anyone who sampled the 196 on the first day been back on them? If so, have they proved to be decent? I'm trying to find a way to fit in a trip on one next week, which would be a thousand times easier if it wasn't for that strike on 3rd November!

No real rush for me, granted, given they'll soon be my local trains, but it would be nice to give them a try after so long waiting for them!

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Genuinely interested to know, has anyone who sampled the 196 on the first day been back on them? If so, have they proved to be decent? I'm trying to find a way to fit in a trip on one next week, which would be a thousand times easier if it wasn't for that strike on 3rd November!

No real rush for me, granted, given they'll soon be my local trains, but it would be nice to give them a try after so long waiting for them!
TOCs are only striking on the 5th now if that helpa

Techniquest

Veteran Member
TOCs are only striking on the 5th now if that helpa

I clearly didn't get that memo, that helps a very large amount! I could have left my Premier Inn booking as it was (moved it back a day at a cost of an extra £7), but it does mean I can plan the rest of next week a bit more now :D Thanks for the heads-up!

The 5th is going to be awkward to plan, depends if it's an all-TOC strike or not I suppose.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
I clearly didn't get that memo, that helps a very large amount! I could have left my Premier Inn booking as it was (moved it back a day at a cost of an extra £7), but it does mean I can plan the rest of next week a bit more now :D Thanks for the heads-up!

The 5th is going to be awkward to plan, depends if it's an all-TOC strike or not I suppose.
Yeah it was changed yesterday. All TOCs and the 5th only now, NR multiple dates the week after. I don't get chance to get near these units now after seeing them daily when I worked on the North Warwick line.

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation

Just 196101 out at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Birmingham

Yeah it was changed yesterday. All TOCs and the 5th only now, NR multiple dates the week after. I don't get chance to get near these units now after seeing them daily when I worked on the North Warwick line.
Wasn’t the RMT all TOCs strike rescheduled to 9th? Also, aren’t TSSA WMT striking on 4th? Not that it’s been publicised how that’ll affect services.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Wasn’t the RMT all TOCs strike rescheduled to 9th? Also, aren’t TSSA WMT striking on 4th? Not that it’s been publicised how that’ll affect services.
Unsure about TSSA but RMT email definitely states 5th only for TOC, various dates for different NR departments (maintenance/operations)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Unsure about TSSA but RMT email definitely states 5th only for TOC, various dates for different NR departments (maintenance/operations)

Thanks, looks like I'll be sacrificing that day on my ticket then and looking to do something else that day. I'm away from base on the 5th, otherwise I'd not be too bothered!

Undiscovered

Your information about 170 failures bring replaced with 196s is incorrect. The 196s need a bit of fettling before coming off the yard- you can't just jump in, fire it up, bang the compressor on max and drive off. Takes a bit of time for a 196.
That's assuming you can find a driver and a guard who sign the traction to run the service.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Your information about 170 failures bring replaced with 196s is incorrect. The 196s need a bit of fettling before coming off the yard- you can't just jump in, fire it up, bang the compressor on max and drive off. Takes a bit of time for a 196.
That's assuming you can find a driver and a guard who sign the traction to run the service.
Exactly. I think it was an uneducated guess.

Birmingham

The WMT industrial action webpage has now been updated such that services will operate on Friday 4 0730-1930 between Birmingham-Liverpool, Birmingham-Euston, and Lichfield-Redditch/Bromsgrove and Saturday 5, Monday 7, and Wednesday 9 0700-1900 between Birmingham-Crewe, Birmingham-Euston, and Lichfield-Redditch/Bromsgrove.

So it doesn’t really make much difference to the travelling public whether RMT TOC staff or RMT NR staff are on strike in respect to WMT services at least! And the TSSA strike is similar except the extension to Liverpool.