• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMR Class 196 Build and Implementation

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

physics34

Established Member
Exactly. Better none than to have it and thus make the seat great for some but awful for others. OK for everyone is the best plan.
A 377 seat has a slight lumber support... it good enough and ive never kmown anyone to complain about it. These
196 noticably dont have it at all.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
It certainly sounds less than promising! I haven't been for a ride on a 196 yet, at some point I will but I'm on a self-enforced break from trains for a non-defined numbdr of weeks, with such a ban ending by 8th January 2023. By the time I get back to the trains, I expect there will be plenty of 196s around, to the point that I won't need to specially plan my journey around them.

I spent quite a bit of time on the firm seats in First Class on 444s recently, so if the seats in the 196s are like those then I know I'll be fine.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A 377 seat has a slight lumber support... it good enough and ive never kmown anyone to complain about it. These
196 noticably dont have it at all.

Hopefully I can comment in a bit, though I have sat in a FISA LEAN before on a GA FLIRT and I thought it good if a bit hard, very similar to a Desiro's Grammer E3000 but a bit "on the cheap".

Meanwhile in this 170 the seat bases, while soft, have collapsed and tip you off forwards. Hopefully EMR will replace the foams.

Just noticed on the display at Wellington that the return working of this 170 pair is cancelled...hope there's no stepping up going on!

102 on the 1641 off Shrewsbury. Review will follow later when I am on the laptop. I think I prefer it to the (worn out) 170 but not so sure about whether it beats the 195 or not, I think it does but both have up and downsides.

Attachments

• 1A6AC1A0-AF98-4A7C-BD17-B615AE14585C.jpeg
    1A6AC1A0-AF98-4A7C-BD17-B615AE14585C.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think it might be worth leaving the seat discussion there now please. We’ve been over it quite a bit now and there’s probably other things to talk about (that are more comfortable :)).

rogercov

A colleague has just reported that the 09:30 ex-BHM this morning was a 196. Unfortunately he didn't get the number.
Assuming no swaps, this unit should form the 12:00, 15:00, etc. departures from BHM.

12LDA28C

Established Member
To be honest I would be surprised if these were more comfortable than WMT's 170s with the heavyweight metal framed, thickly padded seats. I'll be more comparing them with 172s and 195s.

(168/170s were fitted with two types of seats - a heavyweight painted metal frame and a lighter, powder coated Chapman design - the WMT units have the better of the two (the former), Chiltern have the presumably cheaper one, I can't recall about others).

When Chiltern ordered the 168/0s, the first new trains ordered since privatisation, the then MD Adrian Shooter trialled two different designs of seats, one with a higher back and headrest than the other. Members of staff testing the comfort of the seats during the production stage had differing opinions on which design they preferred so Shooter installed both variations so that people could have a choice. Those two designs still survive in the 168/0s today.

rogercov

Fantastic news, thank you.
You're welcome.
I've just been told that 110 is on 2G10 on way to BHM. This will form the 1400 from BHM.
Also, 112 is currently stabled at SHR.
(2nd-hand info, so I'm only the messenger!)

I'm told 196110 on 2G10 was delayed 5 mins at Telford due to incompatibility of wheelchair ramp. Perhaps they have both and picked up the wrong one.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
When Chiltern ordered the 168/0s, the first new trains ordered since privatisation, the then MD Adrian Shooter trialled two different designs of seats, one with a higher back and headrest than the other. Members of staff testing the comfort of the seats during the production stage had differing opinions on which design they preferred so Shooter installed both variations so that people could have a choice. Those two designs still survive in the 168/0s today.

Indeed they did, and I quite like the very-high-backed variant - but both of those are on the cheaper Chapman base, not the more expensive metal one, the name of which I forget but it's upthread!

Anyway...196s... I've posted my impressions in a new thread which I guess can be used to keep reviews of them out of here?

QSK19

Oh no, not a very good day for the 196's.
Were they filled in for by 170's or other 196's?
Well, they’d better get on top of the issues pronto - those 170s won’t be around to fall back onto forever. EMR are chomping at the bit for the 170s and the cascade process is recommencing imminently (or has already recommenced if 5E27 from Tyseley to Barrow Hill has begun on time).

LowLevel

Established Member
Well, they’d better get on top of the issues pronto - those 170s won’t be around to fall back onto forever. EMR are chomping at the bit for the 170s and the cascade process is recommencing imminently (or has already recommenced if 5E27 from Tyseley to Barrow Hill has begun on time).
2 have indeed left this morning with another in a couple of days. These things are to be expected, I suppose, they're still new. The 195s seem to have settled down now for example.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
I've heard recently that they certainly are
November Modern Railways states that six 196s are going offlease from WMR at the end of 2023 prior to transfer to EWR. Assuming they are six of the twelve 2 car 196/0s, so does that mean WMR are hanging onto some 170s ? There is talk of using 196s on the new "Camp Hill" service, which ought to be suitable for battery bimode EMUs like 350s

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
November Modern Railways states that six 196s are going offlease from WMR at the end of 2023 prior to transfer to EWR. Assuming they are six of the twelve 2 car 196/0s, so does that mean WMR are hanging onto some 170s ? There is talk of using 196s on the new "Camp Hill" service, which ought to be suitable for battery bimode EMUs like 350s

I believe they have enough to release them without needing to substitute, hence why they were chosen for that. They are indeed 2 car units.

LowLevel

Established Member
No, 170s are all going by May 2023.

12LDA28C

Established Member

I believe EWR has put out to tender for a fleet of 3-car Class 196s so I assume these 2-cars from WMR will be a stopgap measure until the new fleet is introduced?

markymark2000

On Moderation
Does anyone know the likely situation with the 196 diagrams as it's a bit strange that some days there are a few out, today there is nothing out. There is no consistency. If anyone is able to shed some light on the situation, it would be helpful as I intend on trying to get a ride on Wednesday or Thursday morning but I shan't be travelling all the way to find out that they aren't running.