• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMR Class 196 Build and Implementation

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Does anyone know the likely situation with the 196 diagrams as it's a bit strange that some days there are a few out, today there is nothing out. There is no consistency. If anyone is able to shed some light on the situation, it would be helpful as I intend on trying to get a ride on Wednesday or Thursday morning but I shan't be travelling all the way to find out that they aren't running.

There's nothing out today because they've all failed (this is mentioned upthread). Otherwise it does seem to be fairly consistent - the diagram that includes the 1400 off New St is 170s, but the other two diagrams are 196s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
What are the chances of them being back up and running for Wednesday and Thursday though?

I'd honestly be surprised if they aren't back up and running by tomorrow. I have no inside information, so it is just an opinion. I would expect there would be a lot of priority in getting them back out there.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
What are the chances of them being back up and running for Wednesday and Thursday though?
Could be that the 196s will be back in service tomorrow and dropped again the next day. Its teething problems that is all. Most likely they will be out and about soon (maybe even one tonight - at a guess).

GWVillager

108 was failed at Sandwell, and 102 was failed at Birmingham New Street. 110 I think had issues later.
It was 102 that failed at Sandwell (I was on it!), again 108 went out of service at BHM. I travelled on 110 as well and it seemed to be running fine, the lengthy delays it incurred were nothing to do with the train but rather complications with some wheelchair users requiring the ramp but no station staff being available to deploy it. 102 was clearly not operating as intended though, there were some problems with the announcements and of course it was taken out of service at Sandwell. Not sure exactly what caused it to cancel however.

Jacob Porrett

On Moderation
Does anyone know the likely situation with the 196 diagrams as it's a bit strange that some days there are a few out, today there is nothing out. There is no consistency. If anyone is able to shed some light on the situation, it would be helpful as I intend on trying to get a ride on Wednesday or Thursday morning but I shan't be travelling all the way to find out that they aren't running.
They are all broken bar 101 at the moment.

rogercov

I think this was the later issue with 110:
so it failed at Sandwell due to a door problem at 20:36.
Looking at RTT, it seems that they could not move it straight away. One Avanti service had to reverse and go round the loop. Other services had to use the loop for the next hour.
Evidently a more serious problem than the earlier one with 102, which managed to continue empty to WVH fairly quickly.

K.o.R

Kind of wish they'd gone with the orange on that corridor connection. It's a bit of a slab of black in the middle.

william.martin

On Moderation
Kind of wish they'd gone with the orange on that corridor connection. It's a bit of a slab of black in the middle.
If you are talking about the end door, I agree. If you are talking about the inter- carriage gangway, it is like it on all D/EMU'S I can think of.

AJDesiro

196 101 seemed to be having some issues with the PIS today. The screens were in the NIS mode (not the usual WMR branded display) and the announcements kept saying that you had to move forward to alight, at every station. It seems that this is due to an ASDO issue upon looking through into the cab.

anamyd

On Moderation
Does anyone know what's been happening with these in the last week?

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Does anyone know what's been happening with these in the last week?
They've had a number of issues with them and removed from use. It's not one single problem or fault unfortunately so they will be out some days, removed during service on others and not out some days for the time being.

Issues involved but not limited to gearbox, interlock, unable to release doors. Staff have also reported injuries due to design on the bins and ramp causing cuts.

anamyd

On Moderation
They've had a number of issues with them and removed from use. It's not one single problem or fault unfortunately so they will be out some days, removed during service on others and not out some days for the time being.

Issues involved but not limited to gearbox, interlock, unable to release doors. Staff have also reported injuries due to design on the bins and ramp causing cuts.
Ouch, it sounds like it will be a while yet until they'll be fully safe and properly reliable. Once they are, I'd like to ride on my first one(s).

GalaxyDog

No. Not "here's hoping it's quick". The horror stories have ranged from doors jamming to staff receiving injuries due to aforementioned cuts, or the secondmans "folding" seat going wrong, to multiple-per-unit gearbox failures causing multiple-hour delays on the Shrewsbury line, to lots of faults all combining to create an awful experience for passengers and non-driver traincrew. These should not have been released into passenger traffic until thoroughly checked and tested. Running 50k miles to ensure they run is one thing, but ensuring all the bells, whistles and droids work as well should have been part of this.

The 170s may be tired, but at least they get passengers home through rain, snow and glom of nit.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
The gearbox problems are puzzling me, after all are they not the same as in the 195s ?. How about the doors and ramps are they not common to other Civitys ?.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Running 50k miles to ensure they run is one thing, but ensuring all the bells, whistles and droids work as well should have been part of this.

The 170s may be tired, but at least they get passengers home through rain, snow and glom of nit.
I agree with you that "running miles" is not comprehensive enough, and it seems to happen so often. A new train will be built and will have a FFM plan often worked by freight drivers. That plan in most cases seems to purely ramp up miles without actually simulating station stop, door open, door close, depart.

False economy in many cases in my view

GalaxyDog

I agree with you that "running miles" is not comprehensive enough, and it seems to happen so often. A new train will be built and will have a FFM plan often worked by freight drivers. That plan in most cases seems to purely ramp up miles without actually simulating station stop, door open, door close, depart.

False economy in many cases in my view
It is bad, when I am being discreetly informed that the door panel issues feel as if the electronics/sensors have worn out, and that the computer which controls the whole machine seems to find bugs and issues all of the time. Or that the cabs have been badly designed for guards.

170UTD

I wonder if WMR is now wishing they'd just kept refurbished 170s... the 196s seem to be having a textbook miserable introduction.
Well even if they do, the 170s are moving one a week to EMR until Christmas so it's too late now. It maybe should have been considered though as it's what ScotRail did

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
No. Not "here's hoping it's quick". The horror stories have ranged from doors jamming to staff receiving injuries due to aforementioned cuts, or the secondmans "folding" seat going wrong, to multiple-per-unit gearbox failures causing multiple-hour delays on the Shrewsbury line, to lots of faults all combining to create an awful experience for passengers and non-driver traincrew. These should not have been released into passenger traffic until thoroughly checked and tested. Running 50k miles to ensure they run is one thing, but ensuring all the bells, whistles and droids work as well should have been part of this.

The gearboxes were an issue on first delivery which slowed down the completion of the FFM in the first place. The other stuff really should've been picked up during testing too but I guess testing is purely done from a driving point of view which is clearly the reason these types of incidents are happening.

The fact doors can't be released unless a driver is keyed on is rediculous though and needs a proper fix rather than pay drivers 2 minutes longer. Been several occasions already as far as I'm aware where crew and passengers have been trapped on a train.

GalaxyDog

The gearboxes were an issue on first delivery which slowed down the completion of the FFM in the first place. The other stuff really should've been picked up during testing too but I guess testing is purely done from a driving point of view which is clearly the reason these types of incidents are happening.

The fact doors can't be released unless a driver is keyed on is rediculous though and needs a proper fix rather than pay drivers 2 minutes longer. Been several occasions already as far as I'm aware where crew and passengers have been trapped on a train.
Yes, and I can personally attest to this having happened at one of the busiest stations on the network - Birmingham New Street! Driver had walked off straight from the stopping and apparently only turned back to realise, when he saw the crowds of people not moving. Poor guard had been trying the door panels for two three minutes in vain.

"Testing is purely done from a driving point of view." -could not have put it any better. These things were built to a (cheap) price and to an agenda and it shows.

Established Member
These should not have been released into passenger traffic until thoroughly checked and tested. Running 50k miles to ensure they run is one thing, but ensuring all the bells, whistles and droids work as well should have been part of this.
Could not agree more. Running them around for 18 months with staff from CAF dressed in orange looking at laptops does nothing to see whether or not the train is fit for purpose when in passenger service, being actually used as a passenger train.

Whilst I understand the union has to sign final train working agreements off, it would have been helpful if some form of prior checking was done by actual (full time) drivers and guards (not managers, coaches/instructors or union reps) to ensure the ergonomics and train working procedures were up to scratch for those who will be on them in day to day passenger service.

Liam L

The gearbox problems are puzzling me, after all are they not the same as in the 195s ?. How about the doors and ramps are they not common to other Civitys ?.
If I remember correctly, anit they the same gear boxes which are on the 172s too aswell as other Civity trains?

anamyd

On Moderation
If I remember correctly, anit they the same gear boxes which are on the 172s too aswell as other Civity trains?
all the same basic thing, but the manufacturer (ZF) updates them over the years. I believe the 172s (or some of them) are only 5-speed with the Civitys being 6-speed, but it's possible that further changes were made since the 195s.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Honestly couldn't tell you, but gearboxes were an issue when they were running on the north Warwick back in 2020. I had hoped it was all sorted but seems like it's not the case.

The doors issue is most probably down to how they're retrofitted the guards panel's as for them to only work when a driver is keyed in simply makes no sense at all in my mind.

Ramps have an extra bit I believe, but it's the poor finish on them with sharp edges which is the issue