• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMT Driver Pool - 2021/22

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baggies93

Hey guys

I got my tests on Thursday. I’ve been doing lots of practice and on the whole I think I’m well prepared.. but I feel like the one I could struggle with is the train ability rules and procedures part 1.

It seems to be the only one where their isn’t much practice material. I’ve found about 5 passages with questions which I have now done.. but it’s not good to keep doing them as ultimately you just begin to learn the answers off by heart so it defeats the object!!

Has anyone got any advice on how they prepared for this part?

dereksingh291

On Moderation
Hey guys

I got my tests on Thursday. I’ve been doing lots of practice and on the whole I think I’m well prepared.. but I feel like the one I could struggle with is the train ability rules and procedures part 1.

It seems to be the only one where their isn’t much practice material. I’ve found about 5 passages with questions which I have now done.. but it’s not good to keep doing them as ultimately you just begin to learn the answers off by heart so it defeats the object!!

I haven't taken the train driver assessment before but I wish you good luck and hopefully you will pass. All the best for this Thursday coming.

dzdoris

Hey guys

I would read a whole page of a National Trust magazine (lots of facts and figures) and ask my Son to ask me various questions on it. Kept doing this with different pages much to his horror lol!

Daly131

Good luck everyone, I like many applied for Bletchley around 2020 and I've seen some people who applied for the same positions at the same time been giving invites to video interviews recently but not for me. I emailed recruitment last week but they just said they're still shortlisting applications. Hopefully I won't be forgotten about!!

BAZ7369

Hi all. Currently undertaking final preparations before going to Stage 2 Tests next week at OPC. Good luck to whoever else is in the same boat!

JJ4

Hi all - Have my stage 1 tests in March and not to put the cart before the horse but can anybody tell me how long they generally waited between succesfully passing stage 1 and getting a date for the stage 2 tests? Cheers.

GG96LFC

Hi all - Have my stage 1 tests in March and not to put the cart before the horse but can anybody tell me how long they generally waited between succesfully passing stage 1 and getting a date for the stage 2 tests? Cheers.
After I did my stage 1, I received an email 5 days later to say I had passed and invited me to stage 2 tests for the following week. It may take slightly longer for some though as I had previously passed most of the Stage 1 tests with another company so only had to do one test at Stage 1 this time around

dkuli6666

Did my stage 2 tests yesterday at opc Watford, got through to mmi stage and today just been told I was unsuccessful. The process seems to be pretty quick once you get to the assessments. Wishing those from yesterday the best of luck if they were successful with there mmi

BAZ7369

Did my stage 2 tests yesterday at opc Watford, got through to mmi stage and today just been told I was unsuccessful. The process seems to be pretty quick once you get to the assessments. Wishing those from yesterday the best of luck if they were successful with there mmi
Sorry to hear that. On the plus side, to have gotten that far is an achievement in itself, and to have passed all the tests at the enhanced level must surely be a bonus should you apply with another TOC. Best of luck for the future.

dkuli6666

Sorry to hear that. On the plus side, to have gotten that far is an achievement in itself, and to have passed all the tests at the enhanced level must surely be a bonus should you apply with another TOC. Best of luck for the future.
Thanks BAZ7369 for the kind words! Yeah I’ve enjoyed the whole process and am chuffed to get that far at my first attempt. Best of luck to you aswell bud

Slimjim101

I failed my mmi in 2019. I asked for feedback and was just short on one of the questions. I was really disheartened, but re-applied and got to redo last December and passed. Recently passed my DMI interview and waiting for a medical now. I found I was much more relaxed on my second time at the OPC which I think reflected well in my answers.

dkuli6666

I failed my mmi in 2019. I asked for feedback and was just short on one of the questions. I was really disheartened, but re-applied and got to redo last December and passed. Recently passed my DMI interview and waiting for a medical now. I found I was much more relaxed on my second time at the OPC which I think reflected well in my
Hi Slimjim101, firstly congrats on passing your DMI second time around! great achievement!!!
Thank you for taking the time to message with your own experiences, it definitely fills me with more optimism going forward! I have asked for feedback and awaiting the phone call from the OPC, however WMR told me I failed the SJT which I was under the impression was not a test, apparently I passed my mmi. I’m all a little confused but hopefully second time around I will be a little more relaxed and be able to get through to the DMI.
Congrats again and best of luck for the future

ckay1

Hi Slimjim101, firstly congrats on passing your DMI second time around! great achievement!!!
Thank you for taking the time to message with your own experiences, it definitely fills me with more optimism going forward! I have asked for feedback and awaiting the phone call from the OPC, however WMR told me I failed the SJT which I was under the impression was not a test, apparently I passed my mmi. I’m all a little confused but hopefully second time around I will be a little more relaxed and be able to get through to the DMI.
Congrats again and best of luck for the future
Hey dkuli6666 I also had the same outcome, MMI pass but SJE/ MMI fail. Very strange as I thought the SJE just determined the way in which the interviewer questioned you so seems bizarre at this stage to have passed the main interview but fail on a situational judgement exercise!

dkuli6666

Hey dkuli6666 I also had the same outcome, MMI pass but SJE/ MMI fail. Very strange as I thought the SJE just determined the way in which the interviewer questioned you so seems bizarre at this stage to have passed the main interview but fail on a situational judgement exercise!
Hello buddy, yeah it has totally baffled me, I have asked for feedback and awaiting reply from OPC. When did you have your assessments and did you manage to get any feedback on why you failed the sje/mmi?

ckay1

Hello buddy, yeah it has totally baffled me, I have asked for feedback and awaiting reply from OPC. When did you have your assessments and did you manage to get any feedback on why you failed the sje/mmi?
Frustrating! I had my assessments this week (Monday) and I got the breakdown from WMT yesterday - so same as you I am now just awaiting a reply from the OPC, although not holding out much hope on getting constructive feedback to be honest

Slimjim101

I didn't think the SJT was something to fail on. I thought it was to guide the interviewer on how to question you in the mmi. Definitely ask for feedback and see what is said. Either way, it's certainly worth trying again.

Slinky252

After putting my application in June 2020. I undertook my shortlister interview on Tuesday and received an email today to say I’m shortlisted for next stage. I’ve not done any before so stage one tests for me. Practice, Practice, Practice. Also just wanted to say a huge thanks to many of you for such helpful input within this forum. l know I’m nowhere near there, but this site has helped me for sure so far.

ALPAL

I didn't think the SJT was something to fail on. I thought it was to guide the interviewer on how to question you in the mmi. Definitely ask for feedback and see what is said. Either way, it's certainly worth trying again.
I asked this question just before my MMI as I wondered if I could fail on the SJT before hand. They said it’s not pass/fail but contributes to the overall marking of the MMI, it also helps guide the questions as you say.

Copee94

Does anyone have any advice for stage 2 - video interview?
My partner has one coming up for an internal vacancy so hopefully wont affect anyones application. i did the opc a few years back so may be able to offer some advice in return. Many Thanks and good luck for those going through the process

BAZ7369

Does anyone have any advice for stage 2 - video interview?
My partner has one coming up for an internal vacancy so hopefully wont affect anyones application. i did the opc a few years back so may be able to offer some advice in return. Many Thanks and good luck for those going through the process
Hi, see my post at #782. You can have that free of charge :) Recently passed OPC so no advice required. Best of luck.

Last edited: