• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WMT Driver Pool - 2021/22

BAZ7369

Having read the latest blog from WMT and their Snow Hill Route to Recovery, I was interested to see that they will have gained 20 newly qualified drivers by April 2022 since last October. What’s more, there are 50 more already in the pipeline to follow!

How many trainees are there per course, and how often do the courses start?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Slinky252

Hi all, think we are coming to the end of everybody in the pool waiting to do tests. I’ve been waiting till now since June 2020 and passed my online interview end of feb and received an invitation to assessment day today which I have chosen for next month, seems to be moving quickly all of a sudden. I’m in the process of practicing GB Test, DFFT, with regards too Tee-Occ at WMT, is this low tones counting first then matching symbols nothing else,no numbers etc included. And then the third part marrying the two together? Also the TRP 1 and 2 did you believe this to be the hardest to do on the day ?

I do believe that a new recruitment drive is approaching due to the activity on this thread really slowing down I must be one of the last too hear. Time for a new thread called WMT Driver pool 2022.

BAZ7369

Hi all, think we are coming to the end of everybody in the pool waiting to do tests. I’ve been waiting till now since June 2020 and passed my online interview end of feb and received an invitation to assessment day today which I have chosen for next month, seems to be moving quickly all of a sudden. I’m in the process of practicing GB Test, DFFT, with regards too Tee-Occ at WMT, is this low tones counting first then matching symbols nothing else,no numbers etc included. And then the third part marrying the two together? Also the TRP 1 and 2 did you believe this to be the hardest to do on the day ?

I do believe that a new recruitment drive is approaching due to the activity on this thread really slowing down I must be one of the last too hear. Time for a new thread called WMT Driver pool 2022.
Hi Slinky, I’m curious as to why you think the current drive is drawing to a close. Is your real name Zak Zuckerberg and believe the process to have been alphabetical? Kidding aside, the whole process has been fast and slow at various times for me also. I too applied in June 2020, and am awaiting to attend the final hurdle! Along the way there have been people that have been processed at varying stages and dates, some are on courses, awaiting start dates or have further stages to complete, and I struggled to see any pattern as to how the process is planned. All I can say for sure is that it has been a real test of patience and determination. Good luck with the revision and upcoming tests, and don’t be put off by how long it is taking.

Slinky252

Hi Slinky, I’m curious as to why you think the current drive is drawing to a close. Is your real name Zak Zuckerberg and believe the process to have been alphabetical? Kidding aside, the whole process has been fast and slow at various times for me also. I too applied in June 2020, and am awaiting to attend the final hurdle! Along the way there have been people that have been processed at varying stages and dates, some are on courses, awaiting start dates or have further stages to complete, and I struggled to see any pattern as to how the process is planned. All I can say for sure is that it has been a real test of patience and determination. Good luck with the revision and upcoming tests, and don’t be put off by how long it is taking.
Lol I like that name. I may be completely wrong, wouldn’t be the first time. I have applied twice, last time Feb 2019 and messed up Sjt. I was very new to this. But I have now seen two threads on here both west mids recruitment and they followed similar patterns. This thread now seems to activity wise slowed a little. That’s the only real basis. I also know a couple of people who have gone through and they like me applied and had to do all the tests to get through they have actually all tried and not got through, that was some time ago now. To be fair though Baz I really have no I idea so don’t know why I said it lol. (Anybody on here still waiting to do an online interview? ) Congratulations on getting to the final hurdle and good luck with that.cannot have been easy. How Did you find the first lot of assessments ? I am non stop practising right now. Even though I got some practice stuff through today from west mids.

GJ_DAN

Having read the latest blog from WMT and their Snow Hill Route to Recovery, I was interested to see that they will have gained 20 newly qualified drivers by April 2022 since last October. What’s more, there are 50 more already in the pipeline to follow!

There were 8 people on my course and I reckon a new course was probably starting every 4 weeks or so at a guess. Good luck to all those doing their opc assessments.

S-Car-Go

Usually 8 trainees iin the classroom, (pre-pandemic non-social distancing normality)

At our depot, at any rate, courses were 6 weeks apart, not sure how many per year, 4-5 maybe.

BAZ7369

There were 8 people on my course and I reckon a new course was probably starting every 4 weeks or so at a guess. Good luck to all those doing their opc assessments.

Usually 8 trainees iin the classroom, (pre-pandemic non-social distancing normality)

At our depot, at any rate, courses were 6 weeks apart, not sure how many per year, 4-5 maybe.
Thanks both for the responses, much appreciated.

JJ4

Hi All,

Found out on Tuesday that I had passed the first stage of the Psychometric assessments and have booked in for the day down in Watford in April. Was just hoping anybody who has already done these could clarify a couple of things. I was aware of the computerised tests but genuinely didn't even know about the Written Communications Test, could anybody just shed some light on this, is it pretty similar to the one in the practice materials? The only other question I had was regarding the MMI. I was under the assumption that these were the 'tell us about a time...' questions but I swear I saw somebody say to make sure to be clued up on the company, routes etc. I thought this sort of questioning was generally reserved for the DMI? I imagine wires have been crossed somewhere but would be great if somebody could clarify. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

BAZ7369

Hi All,

Found out on Tuesday that I had passed the first stage of the Psychometric assessments and have booked in for the day down in Watford in April. Was just hoping anybody who has already done these could clarify a couple of things. I was aware of the computerised tests but genuinely didn't even know about the Written Communications Test, could anybody just shed some light on this, is it pretty similar to the one in the practice materials? The only other question I had was regarding the MMI. I was under the assumption that these were the 'tell us about a time...' questions but I swear I saw somebody say to make sure to be clued up on the company, routes etc. I thought this sort of questioning was generally reserved for the DMI? I imagine wires have been crossed somewhere but would be great if somebody could clarify. Thanks in advance!
Check the communication from the TOC about which tests you’ll be undertaking at stage 2. I don’t recall having to do a written one, other than in support of the MMI. Yes, MMI is your experiences, DMI includes knowledge of the TOC.

Good luck

Last edited:

Joshua12

Hi All, New to this thread. I applied in 2020 and heard Mid Feb that I was through to the assessment stage after passing the video interview. I haven't heard anything since. I just want to know how quickly people got an assessment date after hearing? I don't want to chase really, but will do if it's unusual not to hear for over a month? Thanks all

Hi All, New to this thread. I applied in 2020 and heard Mid Feb that I was through to the assessment stage after passing the video interview. I haven't heard anything since. I just want to know how quickly people got an assessment date after hearing? I don't want to chase really, but will do if it's unusual not to hear for over a month? Thanks all
There's a few of us on here who are, or have been, in the same boat. I actually contacted WMR last month to explain that I'd sat the psychometrics, with a different TOC, and achieved the national standard, which is below what WMR expects. They told me that they would put my application on hold until August and contact me to invite me to resit the tests at the next available opportunity. Concerned that they would fill their apprentice quota before August I asked if she anticipated that WMR would still be holding assessments later this year. Her emphatic "absolutely" put me at ease.

Have faith.

Joshua12

There's a few of us on here who are, or have been, in the same boat. I actually contacted WMR last month to explain that I'd sat the psychometrics, with a different TOC, and achieved the national standard, which is below what WMR expects. They told me that they would put my application on hold until August and contact me to invite me to resit the tests at the next available opportunity. Concerned that they would fill their apprentice quota before August I asked if she anticipated that WMR would still be holding assessments later this year. Her emphatic "absolutely" put me at ease.

Have faith.
Thanks for the reply. I think I'll hold of chasing them then at the moment and hope to hear about an assessment date soon.
I have seen the standard and enhanced scores mentioned. I'm guessing WMT are raising the bar and you have to score higher on each assessment you sit?

I couldn't tell you the reason for it with any degree of certainty. But, if I could reduce a sample size considerably by upping a pass mark by (for example) 10% then that's probably what I'd do, even though it proved to be my downfall a few weeks ago.

Hope you hear something soon mate, I've no idea how they decide the order in which candidates are notified about the assessments.

Demx93

Hello guys, I’ve received an email today to complete online video?
Can anyone give me idea on how many questions there is, what kind of questions they are?
TIA x

BAZ7369

Two books available in as new condition, go for £10 each on Amazon. If anyone is interested PM me.

Attachments

• A25D784C-E384-4590-AD99-9F599F8C03B1.jpeg
    A25D784C-E384-4590-AD99-9F599F8C03B1.jpeg
    903.7 KB · Views: 22

JG2021

Hi Guys,
I’ve just received a email asking me to click on a link for a video interview - this has surprised me as it was early last year when I first applied. This has taken me back some what I haven’t been able to find any information on such, is this a proper interview or like a stage 1 type interview of asking a few questions to see my responses etc?
Anyone else had the same email ?
cheers
Hi, Is it still 3 questions for the video assessment? Did it take long for them to let you know how you did?

BAZ7369

For anyone interested, this is my account/experience of the application process.

Hi, Is it still 3 questions for the video assessment? Did it take long for them to let you know how you did?
Hi JG. it was 3 questions when I did mine in June 2021. Got a response in September 2021.

BAZ7369

Hi All. I’ve received notice of a potential start date in September, subject to passing the medical/DBS. Just wondered if any other possible cohort members have heard the same?

Hi All. I’ve received notice of a potential start date in September, subject to passing the medical/DBS. Just wondered if any other possible cohort members have heard the same?
Hi Baz,

Like yourself, having passed my DMI this week, September has been given as potential course start date.

I believe me might have also been in the same group down at the OPC for stage 2 as I remember a Barry there as they got our seats mixed up at one stage in the room.

Congratulations mate on making it this far. Fingers Crossed for your medical and DBS

JJ4

For anyone interested, this is my account/experience of the application process.

Hi JG. it was 3 questions when I did mine in June 2021. Got a response in September 2021.
Hi Baz,

This is great and congratulations on making it all the way. Can you clarify whether the MMI questions were the same 6 that everybody apparently gets asked or were there some you were not expecting? I have seen on another thread a bank of about 16 questions and have written some light-touch examples for 10 of them but have gone into greater detail on the supposed same 6 that everybody gets asked. Obviously, not asking for specifics but just a general idea of whether the questions asked were primarily composed of those 6 or ones that were similar.
Thanks in advance.

Slinky252

Hi all,

I have my stage 1 assessment coming up In a few weeks. Just wanted to make sure I am prepared to the hilt for this. So could people who have gone through this stage with West Mids confirm I’m practicing for all the parts

Bourdon Group test :- pages of dot formations find all the groups of 4

DFFT. Prioritise the faults on the trains on Power Box, washers, wipers and Electric Blind with codes , status and pressures giving you different fault codes.

Tee-Occ listen to a group of tones count whilst finding out relevant information on another set of information -and symbols

TRP 1 listen or read a passage of text take notes and then answer multiple choice questions on the text which is taken away.

TRP 2 dials and panels and prioritise which must be checked. Or something similar on day will be given.

Am I correct that these are all I will encounter on the day and there is nothing I’ve missed.

Thank you for any assist on this.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
Yes it is, took about 10 days for me. That was in March

Hi all,

I have my stage 1 assessment coming up In a few weeks. Just wanted to make sure I am prepared to the hilt for this. So could people who have gone through this stage with West Mids confirm I’m practicing for all the parts

Bourdon Group test :- pages of dot formations find all the groups of 4

DFFT. Prioritise the faults on the trains on Power Box, washers, wipers and Electric Blind with codes , status and pressures giving you different fault codes.

Tee-Occ listen to a group of tones count whilst finding out relevant information on another set of information -and symbols

TRP 1 listen or read a passage of text take notes and then answer multiple choice questions on the text which is taken away.

TRP 2 dials and panels and prioritise which must be checked. Or something similar on day will be given.

Am I correct that these are all I will encounter on the day and there is nothing I’ve missed.

Thank you for any assist on this.
Yes that's correct. Take a drink with you, make use of bathroom breaks and try and relax. You'll need to focus, and be prepared as the time does fly, but they aren't inherently hard to pass.

Slinky252

Yes it is, took about 10 days for me. That was in March

Yes that's correct. Take a drink with you, make use of bathroom breaks and try and relax. You'll need to focus, and be prepared as the time does fly, but they aren't inherently hard to pass.
Thank you, just don’t want to trip up, yes relaxed is key I understand. I’m doing the tests with the kids running round the house (Easter hols) for added difficulty. Focus is key and accuracy. Hopefully I’ll be ready. Thanks again. I will take water too.

BAZ7369

Thank you, just don’t want to trip up, yes relaxed is key I understand. I’m doing the tests with the kids running round the house (Easter hols) for added difficulty. Focus is key and accuracy. Hopefully I’ll be ready. Thanks again. I will take water too.
Hi, it seems that you’ve taken the right approach and are practicing correctly. SCDR”s advice to relax and take water is great. Also, be sure to make good use of the example questions and the opportunity to ask if you’re unsure. The tests are not meant to trip you up, and the staff are very helpful, but once the test starts there’s no stopping!

good luck

Slinky252

Hi, it seems that you’ve taken the right approach and are practicing correctly. SCDR”s advice to relax and take water is great. Also, be sure to make good use of the example questions and the opportunity to ask if you’re unsure. The tests are not meant to trip you up, and the staff are very helpful, but once the test starts there’s no stopping!

good luck
Thank you Baz ,will take all this on board and make sure (hopefully) I’m ready on the day. I’m hitting about 10 lines at mo on the bourdon group with no errors, or one missed now and again. So I’ve gotta bring that up a bit. I don’t know what enhanced level is. But I’ll keep practicing. Thanks

BAZ7369

Thank you Baz ,will take all this on board and make sure (hopefully) I’m ready on the day. I’m hitting about 10 lines at mo on the bourdon group with no errors, or one missed now and again. So I’ve gotta bring that up a bit. I don’t know what enhanced level is. But I’ll keep practicing. Thanks
What are you using to practice the GB test? I recommend the following as it is a good representation of the test you’ll face. It also gives you useful information at the end of each test. Quality, not quantity, is what counts. Better to be 100% correct on 75% of a test than 75% correct on 100% of a test!

Don‘t expect to complete any of the tests. Self induced pressure in trying to make it to the end will cause errors.

good luck