• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Woman Gets £480 Bill For Putting Feet On Seats.

SargeNpton

Established Member
I don't think there are any other official languages in France apart from French (if there are, English certainly isn't one of them). In Wales however...... So no, an English speaker will not get away with that in France.
Certain parts of France have street names and directions signs in languages other than French. Brittany, around Toulouse and the Basque country are those that I know of.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I got a fixed penalty of £75 in Bristol for chucking a dog end on the pavement. Bang to rights. Reduced to £50 if paid within 10 days. Paid up online when I got home. Instrumental in making me give up smoking (saved the cost in 3 weeks of not buying fags). You see daft headlines like 'Woman fined £700 for dropping a cigarette end' where the person failed to engage at any steps along the route to the mags court.

People are forever moaning about the litter wardens hanging around where people smoke, but smokers are the worst litterers. Never understood why they wouldn't throw a can of Coke on the floor but consider a dog-end acceptable. If there are no bins where they usually smoke, they can carry a pocket ashtray (an old style camera film canister was ideal but you can buy suitable things).

Stigy

Established Member
Yes. I'd say CSAS/RSAS (Community or Railway Safety Accreditation Scheme) really is a bare minimum that enforcement staff can be expected to be trained to.

Ideally you'd issue very few penalties for the minor infringements such as breaking the byelaw by putting your feet on the seats, you'd instead use them as a backstop to educate and manage-out the "bad behaviour".
When I was RSAS accredited I hardly ever issued a PND, but to be honest, this was because the only one of much use was for Trespass on a Railway. I issued a couple of s.5 POA ones, but to be honest, if someone is at the stage whereby you’re considering this, they really should be arrested (which is why most of these are issued in police stations).

If we had PNDs used for most popular byelaw infringements, I’d probably have issued more (I reported a lot of offenders, where a PND similar to a Penalty Fare probably would have been more appropriate).

contrex

People are forever moaning about the litter wardens hanging around where people smoke, but smokers are the worst litterers. Never understood why they wouldn't throw a can of Coke on the floor but consider a dog-end acceptable. If there are no bins where they usually smoke, they can carry a pocket ashtray (an old style camera film canister was ideal but you can buy suitable things).
Agreed. They say that no-one among the faithful is more zealous than a convert, but since I gave up smoking I find the sight and smell of cigarettes and their remains very repulsive.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Agreed. They say that no-one among the faithful is more zealous than a convert, but since I gave up smoking I find the sight and smell of cigarettes and their remains very repulsive.
You sound like my wife, after she stopped i think she wanted the birch bought back for people who breathed smoke in her direction. :lol:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If we had PNDs used for most popular byelaw infringements, I’d probably have issued more (I reported a lot of offenders, where a PND similar to a Penalty Fare probably would have been more appropriate).

I've heard it suggested that a "base" penalty fare (i.e. £100, or £50 if paid promptly, without a fare uplift) being allowed to be issued for minor antisocial behaviour/misbehaviour issues wouldn't be a terrible idea and I kind of agree. Indeed I believe Merseyrail have said they'd rather be able to do that than have to faff about with settlements for feet on seats (which is odd as they do like *not* using PFs for ticketing issues!)

Stuff like feet on seats, playing music out loud, pulling the red handle without justification, taking a bike on at times when not allowed/without a reservation where mandatory, sitting in a reserved seat and refusing to move, smoking on board etc.

David Goddard

Established Member
Regardless of what we think of MerseyRail for what they do and don't enforce, good on them for pursuing this. If this was enforced more widely (and more cases were then made public) then it might help to make it even more anti-social than it is, and should reduce the occurrences.
See it regularly on both trains and buses, but rarely say anything unless I'm about to alight off and its clear that the perpetrator isn't.
Different scenario, as safety is involved as well, but high profile campaigns have over the years increased the anti-socialness of "car offences" such as wearing seatbelts or drink driving, and to a degree smoking, so maybe this can happen here too.

Starmill

Veteran Member
which is odd as they do like *not* using PFs for ticketing issues!
Only because they think the new PF rules actually hold them to account! Being litigious instead is a great way to keep the cash flowing in while largely dodging any accountability through the Criminal Justice process.

I see that a woman has ended up with a £480 bill for putting feet on seats on Merseyrail train. (She did not pay the initial penalty).

I see from the comments that most members of the public are pleased that action was taken to stop this filthy habit of soiling the seats.

What a joke.

We’ve got seats that won’t be cleaned for thirty years whilst people puke, fart, **** and piss their pants on them.

Somebody put feet that were probably cleaner than the seat on them.

And they’re the problem and they need to be fined.

No. If we want clean seats then the seats need to be cleaned.

Are they?

RT4038

Established Member
What a joke.

We’ve got seats that won’t be cleaned for thirty years whilst people puke, fart, **** and piss their pants on them.

Somebody put feet that were probably cleaner than the seat on them.

And they’re the problem and they need to be fined.

No. If we want clean seats then the seats need to be cleaned.

Are they?
Which goes to show that there is always someone who doesn't mind sitting on filth.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Do the folks who don't see an issue with putting dirty shoes up on the seats also do that when they are at their mates' houses? Or even their own?

Can't get my mind around people thinking its fine.

Neptune

Established Member
Do the folks who don't see an issue with putting dirty shoes up on the seats also do that when they are at their mates' houses? Or even their own?

Also can’t believe some people think their shoes are clean enough to put on seats. They may be clean on top but do they also float everywhere as that seems to be what they are intimating.

greyman42

Established Member

You do get some low life who think it's perfectly ok to do so.