• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wordle

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Anyone who has social media can’t have missed people sharing their
Wordle results. BBC News and other media outlets have done articles on Wordle in the last few weeks, since the game has undoubtedly gone viral.

Does anyone here play? What do you think, how can such a simple game have been so popular?

Sadly this forum doesn’t support Emojis so people can’t share their results here.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
@Mojo. For those of us who aren't already aware of 'Wordle', what is it, and why has it been in the news of recent?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
@Mojo. For those of us who aren't already aware of 'Wordle', what is it, and why has it been in the news of recent?
It’s in the news primarily because it’s so unexpectedly popular given the nature of the game. I did also see a news article because someone ‘copied’ it and tried to make money from it.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
@Mojo. Thanks for the "explanation". Not sure if I'm all that better informed now and I'm certainly none the wiser! :)

Termy

I blocked the word on Twitter, because I got tired of my timeline being filled with stupid square emojis. It seems absolutely pointless to me, but there we go. It's my opinion, others are entitled to have their own. I'll just ignore the squares. :D

seagull

I must be getting old and crotchety, once upon a time I'd have spent the afternoon looking it up and finding out about it. But now, as soon as I see the words "social media" and "viral" I just assume it is the latest in a never-ending series of stupid, so don't bother...

Bah humbug. :lol:

ComUtoR

Established Member
Reminds me of the old Mastermind Game. However, I did manage to score as Genius.....

Wordle -Genuis level.png

I didn't cheat...... Honest Guv <D

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
I was vaguely interested in it, but saw it was only for American-English which put me off.
To be honest I'm happy playing Trainz 2004 and Railroad Tycoon 3.
Modern games are often extremely weak and simple to match today's short attention span culture, not that there isn't anything wrong with them, just not my style, I want to dive into the game world.

GatwickDepress

Established Member
Wordle's a fun little game to play whilst waiting for the bus. No payment, no downloads, just a quick brain-tickler. My go-to starting word is always 'lemon'!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Wordle's a fun little game to play whilst waiting for the bus. No payment, no downloads, just a quick brain-tickler. My go-to starting word is always 'lemon'!
I usually go with DUCKS.

dakta

I must be getting old and crotchety, once upon a time I'd have spent the afternoon looking it up and finding out about it. But now, as soon as I see the words "social media" and "viral" I just assume it is the latest in a never-ending series of stupid, so don't bother...

Bah humbug. :lol:

You're not the only one. One thing I've learned to love to hate is the somewhat subtle irony (and my local rag is bad at this on a slow news day) of pushing stuff as viral. If you're pushing stuff as viral and everyone has to google it to know what the fuss is about - it probably isn't. Nothing truly viral really needs the fact communicating

And on that note I've not heard of this at all? - and I'm not a social media hermit though I generally dislike the tech.

ComUtoR

Established Member
I usually go with DUCKS.

Other than the obvious cheat I posted, I genuinely got today's word in 3 attempts and this was the first I have ever tried it. My 'tactic' was to choose a 5 letter word that has some of the most common letters.

A word you could try.... "TRAIN"

Gloster

Established Member
Tried it for the first time and got it on the fourth. I think if you play tactically and have done crossword anagrams the attraction will probably soon pale. Much more fun to work out who is an anagram of presbyterians.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
This is quite fun to play. My starter word is always ‘Weird’.

I don’t lose the game often, but I did the other day when the word was ‘Shire.’

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I really struggled this morning, even having to 'waste' one of my guesses on an answer that was guaranteed to be wrong just to clear letters, but managed to get it in 5 guesses.

gnolife

Established Member
I tend to use story as my starter, then follow up with adieu if neither the o or y are in

kristiang85

Established Member
I seem to be good at this (or extremely lucky) as 4 of my 8 days of far I've done in 3 go's.

It's a nice way thing to do as I'm waking up; it gets the brain in gear.

SteveM70

Established Member
I use SPARE as the first word as it uses some of the most commonly used letters. So far so good

Acey

Tried it for the first time today,got lucky ,third go !

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
No need for an App as it's a website that works just fine.

I did lucky today, didn't have a single yellow square and guessed it in four; the third word I got all correct except the first letter.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Makes sense.
--
Is there an official iOS app for this, or if it just web-based?
Both. But the sudden interest in the web version led to the unexpected reawakening of a 5 year old iOS App with the same name, but a different author…. Seems to be a lot of clones too.

nlogax

Established Member
It's a fun little game that's extremely undemanding on time or attention. Can't really find fault with it. My colleagues and I compare scores on a daily basis.

SteveM70

Established Member
No need for an App as it's a website that works just fine.

I did lucky today, didn't have a single yellow square and guessed it in four; the third word I got all correct except the first letter.

Today I got one yellow with my first guess and somehow guessed the word second attempt

Tracked

Established Member
Arise is usually my starting word, I've usually been getting it in 3/4 guesses, one of my longer guesses involved getting 3 out of 5 letters right for the last 3 incorrect guesses!