• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wordle

Trackman

Established Member
Well, they paid ‘an undisclosed seven-figure sum’ according to the Grauniad, so they will want to get their investment back. I must say that I have already started to get bored with it, although I never saw it as more than a mild amusement when I had a few minutes spare.
Sounds like the beginning of the end to me.
I only play it when I see this thread pop up!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Crossover

Established Member
I can’t help but think the creator has pulled a bit of a fast one given it has now been effectively revealed how simple the code is!

Bevan Price

Established Member
It is nothing new. In principle, it seems like an on-line equivalent of the ITV quiz programme "LINGO", but omitting the 4-letter and 6-letter puzzles.

A Challenge

Established Member
I've just been sent a link to this rail themed version of Wordle called Traindle, where you have to guess the TIPLOC code...

scotrail158713

Established Member
I've just been sent a link to this rail themed version of Wordle called Traindle, where you have to guess the TIPLOC code...

There are a few different ones going about now. I'm a member of a parkrun-related group on Facebook and there now appears to be a "parkrundle" as well, with the names of different 9 letter parkrun events.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
In mine today, I somehow made the jump from 2 correct on the 4th to getting it after the 5th attempt.

View attachment 108954

If you don't mind, might I suggest a tweak in tactics: Your first guess told you what the 2nd letter is. For your 2nd and 3rd guesses, you then re-used the same letter in the same position. That means that for your 2nd and 3rd guesses, only 4 of the five letters could give you any new information. I'd have just mentally parked the fact that I now know what the 2nd letter is, and used that slot to try out other letters to help find out what letters are in the word. That way, you maximise your chances of having enough information to know what the answer is by about guess 4 or 5.

I lost yesterday, for the first time ever. Guesses 4, 5, and 6 were all correct except for the first letter <D

Similar issue methinks. After guess 4, you knew all the letters except the first one but there were more possibilities for the first letter than you had guesses left, meaning that just repeatedly guessing the right word would give a high probability of losing. I think in that situation, for guess 5, I'd have picked a word that contained as many as possible of those letters that might be the the letter you want - that way you maximise your chance of finding out what the final letter is, and therefore of not losing the game.

flymo

Established Member
If you don't mind, might I suggest a tweak in tactics: Your first guess told you what the 2nd letter is. For your 2nd and 3rd guesses, you then re-used the same letter in the same position. That means that for your 2nd and 3rd guesses, only 4 of the five letters could give you any new information. I'd have just mentally parked the fact that I now know what the 2nd letter is, and used that slot to try out other letters to help find out what letters are in the word. That way, you maximise your chances of having enough information to know what the answer is by about guess 4 or 5.

Similar issue methinks. After guess 4, you knew all the letters except the first one but there were more possibilities for the first letter than you had guesses left, meaning that just repeatedly guessing the right word would give a high probability of losing. I think in that situation, for guess 5, I'd have picked a word that contained as many as possible of those letters that might be the the letter you want - that way you maximise your chance of finding out what the final letter is, and therefore of not losing the game.
All true perhaps but if you play it in hard mode you have to use the hints in subsequent guesses. if you don't use the hints its not accepted as a guess.

Disclaimer : Of course I don't know what mode the original guess was in but using the hints this way makes it a bit harder to guess.

Also, try nerdle.... try to guess a sum.. :)

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Nerdle is good if you like a maths/logic challenge.

Thanks, just tried it: Nerdle is definitely more challenging to the extent that it requires a lot more careful thought to come up with sensible guesses. But I think the fact that there are fewer characters (15 for Nerdle, 26 for Wordle) and I suspect fewer valid answers makes it much more likely that you can get enough information to deduce the answer in a few guesses - as shown by my first full Nerdle attempt - won on the 3rd guess. I would say that would only happen in Wordle if you're extremely lucky with your first couple of guesses. By contrast, in Nerdle, what I'm sure is a pretty average first guess had already given me enough information to get extremely close to the answer on the 2nd guess.

1644344289145.png

Strat-tastic

Established Member
Thanks, just tried it: Nerdle is definitely more challenging to the extent that it requires a lot more careful thought to come up with sensible guesses. But I think the fact that there are fewer characters (15 for Nerdle, 26 for Wordle) and I suspect fewer valid answers makes it much more likely that you can get enough information to deduce the answer in a few guesses - as shown by my first full Nerdle attempt - won on the 3rd guess. I would say that would only happen in Wordle if you're extremely lucky with your first couple of guesses. By contrast, in Nerdle, what I'm sure is a pretty average first guess had already given me enough information to get extremely close to the answer on the 2nd guess.

View attachment 109919
Beginner's luck ;)

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The curse of Simplified English strikes again!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The curse of Simplified English strikes again!
Odd that he’s on a .co.uk net address but uses the simplified dictionary where they shorten so many words… :D

So did he move from here to there at some point?

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
Todays answer is one of many 5 letter words in a US dictionary that most of us would expect to have 6, including a U…

Sure, Wordle appears to use the US Dictionary. And that probably makes sense from the point of view of making it usable across the World - because most people in the UK will be somewhat familiar with US spelling, but people in the US are much less likely to know UK spelling. (I had no trouble with today's word, probably because in the online World I tend to expect US spelling by default in anything that isn't specifically aimed at the UK).

But - as far as I can tell from Googling - Simplified English is something completely different, and not particularly to do with US English - it's basically a set of rules restricting how you use English to make it more understandable to non-native-English speakers. So I still don't get why we're talking about Simplified English?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Sure, Wordle appears to use the US Dictionary. And that probably makes sense from the point of view of making it usable across the World - because most people in the UK will be somewhat familiar with US spelling, but people in the US are much less likely to know UK spelling.

But - as far as I can tell from Googling - Simplified English is something completely different, and not particularly to do with US English - it's basically a set of rules restricting how you use English to make it more understandable to non-native-English speakers. So I still don't get why we're talking about Simplified English?
Well I just thought @Mojo was having a dig at Americans…

Trackman

Established Member
Todays answer is one of many 5 letter words in a US dictionary that most of us would expect to have 6, including a U…
I got it, but I sussed out what was going on as I had only the first letter to find the rest where in the correct order.

Jimini

Established Member
;)

Attachments

• A0B62A49-07EB-4D50-A540-E871894F8823.jpeg
    A0B62A49-07EB-4D50-A540-E871894F8823.jpeg
    40.6 KB · Views: 44

davews

Well I also got it in 3 but used Chambers Wordgames to verify it was the only answer - even Chambers recognises the USA spelling.

TheEdge

Established Member
Just noticed it tonight.
What do we reckon, a pay-wall or just loads of ads?

Knowing what happens when most corporations who buy up viral content but still don't understand how viral marketing and content works over the next few months it'll naturally wane in popularity and the NY Times will have a 7 figure cost to make up and it'll just go behind their paywall with a fraction of the users.