Would you fly on a Boeing 737Max?

applepie2100

No, I wouldn't fly on one and if I inadvertently ended up being booked onto one then I'd look to change my plans.

It's a fundamentally flawed aircraft using electronics to overcome airframe instability created by bodging an old design to work in a new era. As another poster has already mentioned several of the new Boeing aircraft types have been beset with issues which would make me seriously consider flying *any* of new models they're producing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

peteb

I'm not keen to fly on one of these, yet because airlines can and will change aircraft type operating on a route at short notice I'm not so flight-phobic that I'd remove myself from a flight over the equipment (especially at the start of a holiday).

WatcherZero

Established Member
Boeing & the FAA predicted 1 crash per 3 years.

That wasnt the crash rate, its what they set as the acceptable level of losses in their safety model TARAM and assumed Boeing safety alert would ensure only 1% of pilots would fail to recover from a malfunctioning MCAS activation (they would have grounded it after the first crash if the model indicated 2% of pilots would fail to save the aircraft in that situation).

The 737 max had two fatal accidents in 800,000 flights, the average for new western planes is one fatal accident per 3 million flights and on the 737 classic it had a crash rate of one per 10 million flights. If you magnified the number of MAX flying when the two crashes occurred (200) by the 4,800 orders at the time (and assuming they were all still flying after 10 years since introduction) then there would have been 24 crashes per year or one every two weeks.

MIT Professor Says FAA Estimate Of 15 Catastrophic Boeing MAX Crashes Is Way Too Low (forbes.com)

TravelDream

I'd quite honestly have no issue whatsoever flying in the Max.
I realise than MCAS has issues, but, in reality, the 737 MAX handled by a competent crew was an incredibly safe aircraft even when it was launched. With the understanding now of what caused the crash and additional training, I don't see why others have any issue.

Maybe I am odd though as I have no issue at all flying third world carriers or in Soviet era aircraft. Life is full of risk and flying these aircraft is bottom tier in comparison to other risks we take all of the time.

greatvoyager

Established Member
I’m not really sure if I would fly on a max, or not.
Whilst I’m glad they have introduced a fix for the problem, I think I’d rather wait and see a good year or so of solid performance.