• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC have re vinyled 3 x Power cars at Laira

Status
Not open for further replies.

irish_rail

Established Member
Can't see it posted elsewhere, and apologies if this is in another thread, but XC have re vinyled 3 x Power cars at Laira , one is 184 in executive, then there is one in Swallow and one in Br blue and yellow. Unsure on power car IDs but it is reported on a Plymouth FB page im a member of (not railway related!). They are to be used for a special run in September but will run in service between now and then.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

XCTurbostar

Established Member
The other two are 43007 and 43008.
This picture is from CrossCountry on Twitter which shows the three standing next to each other at Laira Depot. They should be in service next week.

Attachments

• IMG_7059.jpeg
    IMG_7059.jpeg
    441.7 KB · Views: 540

crosscity

The other two are 43007 and 43008.
This picture is from CrossCountry on Twitter which shows the three standing next to each other at Laira Depot. They should be in service next week.
These sound like their original (1970s) numbers. What are the numbers they've been running under recently?

MML

Money well spent.
Amazing how much can be wasted on a PR exercise with vehicles intended for the scrap yard, while the regular operation has to continue to suffer from extreme overcrowding and scruffy interiors.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Money well spent.
Amazing how much can be wasted on a PR exercise with vehicles intended for the scrap yard, while the regular operation has to continue to suffer from extreme overcrowding and scruffy interiors.
My thoughts exactly.

Money well spent.

Well done, I'd say.

I don't know how much a partial repaint/vinyl wrap would cost for a trio of HST powercars (that aren't due for the scrapyard just yet), but I suspect it's a drop in the ocean compared to money spent elsewhere on today's railway. I'd say that it is PR money well spent, IMHO.

irish_rail

Established Member
Money well spent.
Should have been done earlier. They aren't even in service yet and are due out of traffic next month so most people won't even see them I shouldn't think. Still it guarantees the managers on the tour next month something interesting to photograph ffs......:rolleyes:

northernbelle

Well done, I'd say.

I don't know how much a partial repaint/vinyl wrap would cost for a trio of HST powercars (that aren't due for the scrapyard just yet), but I suspect it's a drop in the ocean compared to money spent elsewhere on today's railway. I'd say that it is PR money well spent, IMHO.
Indeed. If it's anything like other tours the cost of reliverying was far exceeded by the money made.

m79900

Money well spent.
Destined for the scrapyard? I read that Angel Trains were confident that they would see further use.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Money well spent.
Do you know how much difference that money being spent elsewhere would make on the service? Almost none. It’s statistically insignificant.

NSE

Established Member
Do you know how much difference that money being spent elsewhere would make on the service? Almost none. It’s statistically insignificant.
Statistically insignificant compared to buying a new fleet of trains maybe, but not other stuff. I completely understand that it may have come out of a PR budget that was always going to be used on PR and so money hasn’t been switched from buying a new fleet to just repaint these. I also understand that good PR and marketing are necessary and sometimes there’s a bigger picture that this contributes to.
*But* I can totally understand that people might see this while sitting in a mess room that has a broken toilet or just having watched a member of staff like a cleaner be made redundant due to costs and feel like the money used to repaint these trains could better used.

Towers

Established Member
Statistically insignificant compared to buying a new fleet of trains maybe, but not other stuff. I completely understand that it may have come out of a PR budget that was always going to be used on PR and so money hasn’t been switched from buying a new fleet to just repaint these. I also understand that good PR and marketing are necessary and sometimes there’s a bigger picture that this contributes to.
*But* I can totally understand that people might see this while sitting in a mess room that has a broken toilet or just having watched a member of staff like a cleaner be made redundant due to costs and feel like the money used to repaint these trains could better used.
The money used to relivery three vehicles would not, in any universe, save a cleaner from being made redundant. This is a nod to a very significant part of railway history, and there is absolutely nothing wrong in celebrating that. Anyone who thinks that any TOC are in a position to be chucking money away pleasing trainspotters in the current climate, is woefully out of touch.

The marking of the demise of the HST fleets has been unprecidented in modern times and has happened across multiple TOCs, owing to the train having been iconic for generations. Not just amongst spotters but also among the wider population. It is entirely reasonable to celebrate the train that is largely credited with saving the railway system (although there is a large dose of sad irony to be doing so at a time when the government is doing its level best to damage it again :rolleyes: ).

Last edited:

12LDA28C

Established Member
Well done, I'd say.

I believe a vinyl wrap would cost in the region on £10k per loco. So thrice that for this exercise would be rather less than refurbing the interiors of a whole fleet, for example.

driverd

I believe a vinyl wrap would cost in the region on £10k per loco. So thrice that for this exercise would be rather less than refurbing the interiors of a whole fleet, for example.

I doubt £20k (only 2 locos done - one of them has been in IC executive for years) would even get you a single vehicle refurbed.

It's a nice gesture, they were probably due a repaint anyway (forms part of exams) and they all have interested parties in their future. Hardly a waste.

NSE

Established Member
The money used to relivery three vehicles would not, in any universe, save a cleaner from being made redundant. This is a nod to a very significant part of railway history, and there is absolutely nothing wrong in celebrating that. Anyone who thinks that any TOC are in a position to be chucking money away pleasing trainspotters in the current climate, is woefully out of touch.

The marking of the demise of the HST fleets has been unprecidented in modern times and has happened across multiple TOCs, owing to the train having been iconic for generations. Not just amongst spotters but also among the wider population. It is entirely reasonable to celebrate the train that is largely credited with saving the railway system (although there is a large dose of sad irony to be doing so at a time when the government is doing its level best to damage it again :rolleyes: ).

Firstly, it was an example. I didn’t just say cleaner. The example of a broken toilet was there, plus many more which I’m sure you can work out.
Secondly,
this comment suggests £30k could have been spent. I know many positions in a TOC where someone is paid less than that a year.

I would point out, I’m not saying I disagree with the repainting, but as other we’re discussing up thread, I can understand why, on the face of it, someone sitting in a station with a broken ticket machine or an office that needs things fixing for example, may well be a put out to see that (potentially) 30k has been spent painting/vinyling trains that are soon to be scrapped.

12LDA28C

Established Member
I doubt £20k (only 2 locos done - one of them has been in IC executive for years) would even get you a single vehicle refurbed.

It's a nice gesture, they were probably due a repaint anyway (forms part of exams) and they all have interested parties in their future. Hardly a waste.

The price I quoted was from enquiries made to repaint a main line locomotive by a preservation group a few years ago. £12k was quoted for a full repaint with the vinyl option coming in slightly cheaper at £10k. I appreciate prices may have gone up in the interim so if you know better based on your own experience then fair enough.

On Moderation
It’s only two done now. 43184 was repainted some time ago (and it was due repaint).

dk1

Veteran Member

Peanuts in railway money to be honest.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
A deep clean at the very least would have gone a long way.

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
It’s worth nothing for anyone hoping to see these out at weekends that pretty much all the Saturdays between now and service withdrawal have industrial action - RMT have action on Saturdays 19/25 August and 2/9 September. Usually XC HSTs don’t run during Industrial Action.

I may have missed but what's the anticipated withdrawal date for normal timetabled services?

Status
Not open for further replies.