• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC Voyager Refurbishment

AirRail

If they could just get the same spec done as the Avanti fleet, then they're on to a good thing. I believe the colour choices on the recently refurbished Avanti fleet were purposely chosen to be outside of the Avanti branding / colour pallette, so that they could easily transition onwards to another operator. I would say XC were the operator always in mind. I'd guess if they chose the same seat moquette and all other aspects as on the Avanti fleet refurb, they could get through it much quicker and probably save plenty of £££s in the meantime too. It will also make the additional 221s transition into the fleet much more easily and have an instant uniform look for a new XC interior (shop area aside).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
The interiors are knackered and this is well overdue.
Noticed they have a horrible musty smell, and every surface is filthy. The colour scheme is dodgy and looks like it's nicotine stained, with tacky walnut tables.

A bright neutral interior would do a world of difference. Ideally you'd rip out the oversized toilets and add extra seats too

The big rumour going around internally is that the shops on the 7 Avanti units are staying put…. although it’s not been officially confirmed…

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Noticed they have a horrible musty smell, and every surface is filthy. The colour scheme is dodgy and looks like it's nicotine stained, with tacky walnut tables.

A bright neutral interior would do a world of difference. Ideally you'd rip out the oversized toilets and add extra seats too
Extra seats in the vestibule?

If they could just get the same spec done as the Avanti fleet, then they're on to a good thing. I believe the colour choices on the recently refurbished Avanti fleet were purposely chosen to be outside of the Avanti branding / colour pallette, so that they could easily transition onwards to another operator. I would say XC were the operator always in mind. I'd guess if they chose the same seat moquette and all other aspects as on the Avanti fleet refurb, they could get through it much quicker and probably save plenty of £££s in the meantime too. It will also make the additional 221s transition into the fleet much more easily and have an instant uniform look for a new XC interior (shop area aside).
Teal and orange are Avanti’s signature colours, and while the seat moquette is largely dark blue, teal and orange definitely feature a lot throughout the refurbished Voyagers.

occone

I will submit a tender: push them in the sea and replace with nice trains.
Thank you for doing the lord's work :lol:
Could probably do that at Portsmouth Harbour, I'll bring the champagne.

They're filthy, knackered, and so outdated as you say. I'm sure it was smart back in *checks calendar* 2001, that's 23 whole years ago.

I have complained to XC about their faulty windows where the seal has blown, I had a rant here

Extra seats in the vestibule?
There have been a good number of times where I've been the only one in the vestibule and a tipdown seat would have been great.

tomoufc

Are we still waiting for the Avanti voyagers before refurbs can begin? Do we know how long that wait will be?

antharro

Thank you for doing the lord's work :lol:
Could probably do that at Portsmouth Harbour, I'll bring the champagne.
Full power from Portsmouth and Southsea, release the brake and jump out? Just make sure there aren't any boats in the way at Harbour, especially the ferry. Don't think the Isle of Wight would want Voyagers. :D

Anyway, it's good they're getting a refurb, long overdue. Hopefully a PROPER overhaul, not just a luck of paint, or vinyl stickers that will age badly. And hopefully they change the seats out in standard class for something comfortable. But leave the first class seats alone, I find them to be quite comfortable!

As for the luggage racks; I used to know a lass who was short enough that on busy standing room only southbound services, she would sit in the lower luggage rack where she fitted quite happily with her rucksack. Once the train got to Reading, where I would join, we would then go find a seat. :D

dereksingh291

On Moderation
Will CrossCountry refurbish the Avanti Voyagers when they come over considering the Avanti Voyagers were refurbished in July 2020?

fgwrich

Established Member

The nicotine stained effect vaulted ceilings have always been a poor feature about the Voyagers interior from new. Just why did they have chose that? At least the Avanti ones appear to have been painted a nice clean white.

Mike Machin

They were threadbare and clapped-out when I last regularly travelled on them about five years ago - goodness knows what they must be like now!

RailWonderer

Established Member
Yeah they have the ambiance of cheap corporate decor from that period

Probably just as well
I happen to think they had the smartest interior of any train going at that time.

Now that their carpets are tarred black with gum and the seats are similarly tarred, ripped, worn and threadbare a refurb is well overdue and they are looking dated now.

occone

The nicotine stained effect vaulted ceilings have always been a poor feature
Funnily enough, I only recently realised that the nicotine stain pattern was some kind of vinyl, because a panel next to it was plain beige and I realised they'd originally intentionally put a pattern on the central lighting covers.

I'd also love if XC would replace the fluorescent bulbs with warm white LEDs, or at least colour match the bulbs. They have a right hodgepodge at the moment with a mix of different colour tones and it looks so amateurish

Northerngirl

I wonder how much longer xc are planning on keeping them, they'll be reaching 30 before too soon, they desperately need a major Interior redo like the 390s have, I'd laugh if they keep the radio tuner

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I wonder how much longer xc are planning on keeping them, they'll be reaching 30 before too soon, they desperately need a major Interior redo like the 390s have, I'd laugh if they keep the radio tuner
They’d be expected to be in service for 35-40 years. Don’t hold your breath…

Towers

Established Member
I have to say I personally find the XC interiors pretty tolerable, yes they’re knackered but the colours are muted and cosy as opposed to the operating theatre/interrogation unit ambience favoured elsewhere. The red/bluey purple tones are fine by me, although the purple panels in the vestibules and stripey door interiors are a bit naff! “Tacky” stick-on wood hasn’t gone away, it’s just lighter nowadays - there’s plenty of it in the vestibules of an IET!

Jimini

Established Member
I have to say I personally find the XC interiors pretty tolerable, yes they’re knackered but the colours are muted and cosy as opposed to the operating theatre/interrogation unit ambience favoured elsewhere. The red/bluey purple tones are fine by me, although the purple panels in the vestibules and stripey door interiors are a bit naff! “Tacky” stick-on wood hasn’t gone away, it’s just lighter nowadays - there’s plenty of it in the vestibules of an IET!

Yep, there's a thread somewhere from a few months ago but I'd concur -- decent seats, massive windows, I quite like 'em! Just wish they weren't running around in four car formations (as has been discussed ad nauseum on here, quite rightly).

800Travel

Hope they put sensors in the interior doors this time - sick of them closing on me while waiting for people to move down the carriage.

GoneSouth

When did those last work? (if ever! Not sure I ever remember using one)
I think they only lasted until the transfer of franchise from Virgin to Arriva so probably in use for 6 years or close to that. Happy to be corrected but I think they last worked in 2007.

They had a couple of audio channels, I think including live bbc radio which was a great idea at the time before anybody had mobiles and iPads. It was a bit of a trend at the time to do at seat entertainment like planes, I think GWR had an at seat TV system which also had a short shelf life

occone

Hope they put sensors in the interior doors this time - sick of them closing on me while waiting for people to move down the carriage.
Oh this! Absolutely!

I also hope they tune the engines so they don't shake so violently when idling

GoneSouth

Couldn’t agree more, definite design flaw having timers closing doors on people trying to squeeze through congestion of overflowing luggage racks and people sat on the vestibule floor.