• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC Voyager Refurbishment

Trainman40083

Still baffles me why XC still wont include a shop on the voyagers
Well, in these days, you often find people will not leave their seat, through fear of losing it on busy services. Plus people are wary of not being in sight of their luggage. Now, whenever I seem to catch a double set, I always find the buffet trolley (if there is one at all) is in the other half. So I just get something before I get on

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BanburyBlue

Well, in these days, you often find people will not leave their seat, through fear of losing it on busy services. Plus people are wary of not being in sight of their luggage. Now, whenever I seem to catch a double set, I always find the buffet trolley (if there is one at all) is in the other half. So I just get something before I get on

The last few times I've been on a Voyager, the catering host hides at one end of the train and no trolley ever appears. I can understand when busy, but I have heard the host saying on the tannoy to come and find them at the end of Coach F, even when the train was not busy. If they're going to do that, you may as well have a shop.

This is not helped by how long they seem to shut before staffing changes at places like New Street. I was on a XC train from Oxford to Banbury the other day, and happened to be standing at the end of Coach F. The guy was doing his stock check and the trolley was all closed and locked up before we got to Banbury.

Trainman40083

The last few times I've been on a Voyager, the catering host hides at one end of the train and no trolley ever appears. I can understand when busy, but I have heard the host saying on the tannoy to come and find them at the end of Coach F, even when the train was not busy. If they're going to do that, you may as well have a shop.

This is not helped by how long they seem to shut before staffing changes at places like New Street. I was on a XC train from Oxford to Banbury the other day, and happened to be standing at the end of Coach F. The guy was doing his stock check and the trolley was all closed and locked up before we got to Banbury.
I do agree with your comments. Do they want business or not? Sometimes a trolley person comes down the train mumbling something inaudible. Others do it very well

About time for a new livery and refurbishment, have to say its livery shape does look like a bit of Avanti West Coast.

The livery that XC has right now have lasted over 16 years, and when the voyagers received the then new XC livery back then, they didn't bother repaint the base colour while putting XC vinyls and logos in, and the roofs remained red (did they naturally turned brown?).

Standard Class interiors was always the same since their introduction 23 years ago, but First Class did receive a refurb in recent years.

Last edited:

TheGuy77

These days the CrossCountry trains are knackered (especially the voyagers). They're overcrowded, the interiors are outdated, the interior paint is peeling off, yet they still charge more for these trains than LNER's Azumas. I think CrossCountry Voyagers need a refurbishment of trains at the very least, but if they need any more trains after getting Avanti's, they should turn to new class 800s or 810s.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Standard Class interiors was always the same since their introduction 23 years ago, but I think the First Class did receive a refurb.
First Class got Maroon seat covers, if that's what you mean.
Giving the red and blue standard class seats the same simple treatment (and perhaps removing the stripes from the doors) would have brought the Voyagers far more on-brand inside, as per 170s and HSTs, rather than leaving them feeling distinctly Virgin Trains (or rather, a second rate Virgin Trains, lacking the mood lighting, cleaner seats and tables, shop, plentiful table seats, etc.)

Spire Sam

These days the CrossCountry trains are knackered (especially the voyagers). They're overcrowded, the interiors are outdated, the interior paint is peeling off, yet they still charge more for these trains than LNER's Azumas. I think CrossCountry Voyagers need a refurbishment of trains at the very least, but if they need any more trains after getting Avanti's, they should turn to new class 800s or 810s.
It would definitely be nice if XC was to get some of the 810s or 80xs although I can’t see that happening in the near future so refurbishment will have to do for now

reecestrains

The front cover shows a clean example. I suppose we'll have to get used to it but the previous comment 'yuck!' echoes my first impression. It's probably the blue door.

View attachment 156885
I'll be honest, I'm not a massive fan of the blue doors. Is that even part of the branding or not? I originally thought it was Red and White.

The Turbostar concept does look better though in my opinion.

StrangeIy I actually quite like that Voyager livery and its certainly not bland, I'd take that over orange and purple West Midlands Trains or Northern. The turbostar one not so much.

Edit Now I know what it reminds me of...

Attachments

• 612QCd+o2fL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    612QCd+o2fL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Snow1964

Established Member
Can't find a thread for XC 170 refurbishment.

But seems the refurbished 170s (and those of EMR) will not be 100% compliant with PRM (persons of reduced mobility) as dispensations have been requested for lack of platform facing destination displays and inside screens not visible to least 51% of wheelchair spaces

Wonder if they will be requesting dispensions for voyagers too.

Scope of the refurbishment, Class 170/1, 170/3, 170/5 and 170/6​

• new seats and tables throughout, retaining existing layouts
  • new PIS including:
    • LCD screens
    • call for aid (CfA)
    • passenger emergency alarm (PEA)

Scope of the refurbishment, Class 170/2​

• new seats and tables in the existing first-class areas, are to be declassified to a standard class area
  • new seats in the wheelchair area next to the universal access toilet (UAT)
  • no change to all other existing seats with foams and moquettes renewed only
  • new PIS including LCD screens, CfA, and PEA
The level of compliance achieved with the requirements of the PRM NTSN can be summarised for the refurbishment scope as follows:

• 90 requirements to achieve compliance achieved
  • 118 requirements not applicable
  • 2 requirements for dispensation
This summary clearly shows Porterbrook’s commitment to the betterment of the Class 170 fleet

Skimble19

Established Member
The front cover shows a clean example. I suppose we'll have to get used to it but the previous comment 'yuck!' echoes my first impression. It's probably the blue door.

View attachment 156885
Jeez, it’s certainly… colourful!

Not sure why they’ve gone for the Virgin flowing silk style yellow front either - it didn’t look right the first time, I highly doubt it will now! Following the lines of the unit like it does now would’ve been a cleaner look.

Last edited:

GoneSouth

I can’t see that happening in the near future so refurbishment will have to do for now
And hallelujah to that. I don’t understand the love for the hitachi trains, every time I travel on one it feels like it’s going to shake to pieces running at top speed down the Thames valley, the seats are terrible and the lighting wouldn’t be out of place used as floodlighting at a football ground. The voyagers have their faults but they feel well built and have a very smooth ride over 100mph.

I really hope they don’t make a mess of this refurb

Did I read that correctly, they are replacing seats and declassifying 1st class, but only on one of the 3 different sub classes of 170?

If so, that’s going to get confusing. I think they’d have been better getting rid of it altogether personally.

Anybody have any images of the interiors yet?

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's only the EMR ones being declassified.

Must admit I think those two derogation applications are downright lazy and should not be granted. A few extra screens would be cheap in the scheme of things, including fitting an outside one in a window as some other Turbostars have.

Bayum

Established Member

danchester

It's only the EMR ones being declassified.

Must admit I think those two derogation applications are downright lazy and should not be granted. A few extra screens would be cheap in the scheme of things, including fitting an outside one in a window as some other Turbostars have.
Can't help but agree. Indeed this bit jumped out at me...
The incumbent operators are operating the fleets in their existing configuration (existing configuration does not include platform side screens) with no known passenger issues raised. Passengers are visually well informed about final destinations and routes via the forward-facing screens visible from the cab front window, on-platform passenger information systems and the positions of the internal screens mounted in the vestibules.
...because I experienced an issue with exactly this at Leicester on Saturday. Two trains, departing minutes apart, were sharing different ends of a platform. The platform dot matrix displays were only able to show one train, and from the entrance to the platform the ends of the trains were not visible, so arriving passengers were unclear which was which. With a bit of inspection one was XC and the other, further away, was EMR, but the respective 170s don't look dissimilar at a glance and I'll confess that it took me a moment to figure out what was going on - other daytrippers, in a rush and less familiar with TOCs, were far more agitated and were queueing up to ask the harassed conductor which train was which. A couple of platform side screens on the train would have saved a lot of collective stress and some crucial minutes!

midland1

Can't help but agree. Indeed this bit jumped out at me...

...because I experienced an issue with exactly this at Leicester on Saturday. Two trains, departing minutes apart, were sharing different ends of a platform. The platform dot matrix displays were only able to show one train, and from the entrance to the platform the ends of the trains were not visible, so arriving passengers were unclear which was which. With a bit of inspection one was XC and the other, further away, was EMR, but the respective 170s don't look dissimilar at a glance and I'll confess that it took me a moment to figure out what was going on - other daytrippers, in a rush and less familiar with TOCs, were far more agitated and were queueing up to ask the harassed conductor which train was which. A couple of platform side screens on the train would have saved a lot of collective stress and some crucial minutes!
A Nottingham at the North end and a Birmingham at the South end platform 1 or 4 ?

RailWonderer

Established Member
And hallelujah to that. I don’t understand the love for the hitachi trains, every time I travel on one it feels like it’s going to shake to pieces running at top speed down the Thames valley, the seats are terrible and the lighting wouldn’t be out of place used as floodlighting at a football ground. The voyagers have their faults but they feel well built and have a very smooth ride over 100mph.

I really hope they don’t make a mess of this refurb

Did I read that correctly, they are replacing seats and declassifying 1st class, but only on one of the 3 different sub classes of 170?

If so, that’s going to get confusing. I think they’d have been better getting rid of it altogether personally.

Anybody have any images of the interiors yet?
No I agree, as long as you can get a seat on a clean Voyager (Avantis' ones rather than XC's) it's a far superior train to an IET build quality wise.

That livery should be declared a crime against humanity...
It makes you wonder who makes these choices. They should get proper outside designers to come up with a livery. It's very kids theme park ride, not worthy of a long distance operator.

Russel

There's a lot of negativity here, toward what is only an artists impression which generally do have over saturated colours compared to how the real thing usually turns out.

Maybe we need to reserve judgement until we see the real thing?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
There's a lot of negativity here, toward what is only an artists impression which generally do have over saturated colours compared to how the real thing usually turns out.

Maybe we need to reserve judgement until we see the real thing?

I can't imagine any combination of those colours, however saturated they may be, looking anything other than absolutely awful.

I can only assume an intention to aim at a younger client base (which in some ways makes sense), but when I was student age I found any attempt by a faceless corporation to be "down with the kids" just grossly patronising and stupid, not attractive.

Russel

I can't imagine any combination of those colours, however saturated they may be, looking anything other than absolutely awful.

I can only assume an intention to aim at a younger client base (which in some ways makes sense), but when I was student age I found any attempt by a faceless corporation to be "down with the kids" just grossly patronising and stupid, not attractive.

It's all down to personal taste and thread like this tent to turn into echo chambers, for what it's worth, I think it looks modern and fresh.