• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

You know you’re getting older when……

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
I realized I was past it thirty years ago when contestants on Family Fortunes were asked to name somebody famous from Yorkshire and Sir Geoffrey Boycott was beaten into second place by Scary Spice.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I realized I was past it thirty years ago when contestants on Family Fortunes were asked to name somebody famous from Yorkshire and Sir Geoffrey Boycott was beaten into second place by Scary Spice.
30 years ago? The Spice Girls phenomenon wasn't a thing before 1994/95, or maybe even slightly later, was it?

Killingworth

Established Member
My cricket bat was autographed by Sir Len Hutton

duncanp

Established Member
....when you look at people wearing torn jeans and think:-

WHY?

WHAT ON EARTH IS THE POINT?

(Yes, I know I'm turning into Victor Meldrew)

Typhoon

Established Member
Thought Casey Jones was a TV series about some late 19th century midwest American railroad engineer. Don't really remember it being a one-time railway station fast food outlet from BR days.

You know you're getting older when you remember a TV series that was only shown in black and white.
You know you're getting old when someone reminds you of a TV series that was only shown in black and white, and your reaction is 'I'd forgotten all about that'.

(Also - https://www.doyouremember.co.uk/memory/casey-jones-burger-bar - the logo is familiar, never ate there)

Rutland23

When you discover that your School Bus is in a Museum.IMG_20220612_153733.jpg

Not only are the Mechanicals and bodywork in better condition than yours, but it is actually YOUNGER than you.

Regards

Ian

317 forever

Established Member
You remember Kate Bush, either when Running Up That Hill was originally in the charts or even when she was #1 with Wuthering Heights.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
(Yes, I know I'm turning into Victor Meldrew)
When you stumble upon an old episode of One Foot in the Grave* and check Google to see how many of the actors are still alive.

* And other programmes from that era
When you discover that your School Bus is in a Museum.
There's a fair chance that I went to school on the one on the right!

Gloster

Established Member
When you are surprised to find that a TV programme was made in colour, because you saw it on a black and white set.

PeterY

Established Member
You remember Kate Bush, either when Running Up That Hill was originally in the charts or even when she was #1 with Wuthering Heights.
I remember Kate Bush very well and in my youth I had a crush on her. :D:D:D:D:D:D:DI loved watching her dance. She's about the same age as me .

Gloster

Established Member
You look at a picture of commuters walking along a platform at Waterloo that accompanies news of the rail strike and think, ‘I can remember when every one of them would have been dressed in a dark suit and wearing a tie, mostly carrying a briefcase, and often wearing a (bowler) hat and carrying an umbrella. And it would have been almost all men.’

duncanp

Established Member
You look at a picture of commuters walking along a platform at Waterloo that accompanies news of the rail strike and think, ‘I can remember when every one of them would have been dressed in a dark suit and wearing a tie, mostly carrying a briefcase, and often wearing a (bowler) hat and carrying an umbrella. And it would have been almost all men.’

...with all the trains operated by slam door rolling stock

...and long queues at the bus stop outside the station for bus routes operated by routemaster buses

nw1

Established Member
Here's a rail related one.

You look at a CWN from before you were born, and, thanks to the presence of things called "peak extras" (and lots of them), together with the fact that some of the stock of your youth was already in active service, it seems less "foreign" to you than the post-2020 railway.

Last edited:

Howardh

Established Member
When old footage of Lancashire or England from the 70's appears on telly and you scan the crowd to see if I'm there...

PS, that's 1970's before you start...

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Re Kate Bush and when Wuthering Heights was released, your best friend at the time, ten years younger than you, revealed that as a Catholic schoolboy in Greenwich he'd dated her, a Catholic schoolgirl in nearby Blackheath, for a short while. He told me this before she even hit the charts and I have no doubt that he was telling the truth.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
When a junction you helped to dig up and renew in the past is life expired and renewed again.
(so a friend told me, it’s definitely not me as I’m not old)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
When you use the term 'guttersnipe' to describe a particularly revolting politician and the four people you are with all give you quizzical looks (admittedly, not unusual.)

davetheguard

Established Member
When you could get on a train without a public address system. How did we ever manage to actually get on or off the train successfully, at the right station, and with all our own belongings without it? (yes, I know it does have its uses).

Dai Corner

Established Member
When you've regarded the same class of loco or unit as new and exciting, mundane and boring and nostalgic.

duncanp

Established Member
When your conversation with friends includes what tablets you are all taking and comparing side effects.

...or when your conversation with friends includes plans for retirement, or the fact that they are expecting another grandchild soon, or how much you can save with a Senior Railcard.