• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

You know you’re getting older when……

gg1

Established Member
It’s annoying when you get those plastic bottle tops that won’t let go once unscrewed. They’re still held on by a small length of plastic.

I understand that this is because those bottles are meant to be recycled with their cap on. Whether that is because of a change to the type of plastic, or to avoid lots of small loose caps in the recycling stream, I know not.

First thing I do when I open one of those is to twist off the link between lid and bottle. I assumed the reason was to encourage recycling of the whole product rather than just the bottle, can't see why them being being loose would make any difference to the recycling process.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I understand that this is because those bottles are meant to be recycled with their cap on. Whether that is because of a change to the type of plastic, or to avoid lots of small loose caps in the recycling stream, I know not.
+
I always snap the lid off,it gets in the way. For recycling we always crush our bottles flat and put the cap on to stop it coming back up to save space in the green bin. I’m sure many of us do this.
+ does get in the way.
First thing I do when I open one of those is to twist off the link between lid and bottle. I assumed the reason was to encourage recycling of the whole product rather than just the bottle, can't see why them being being loose would make any difference to the recycling process.
My money is on the fact that its undesirable to have small bits of waste - that is why ring pulls on cans of drink changed to be not something you pulled off (and dropped). The small bits go in animals mouths and stomach easier. They are also harder to pick up for people tidying up (rad sweepers etc). This would not be a problem if people disposed of their unwanted things thoughtfully.

For plastic bottle tops I was led to believe that the plastic is different to the bottle so a problem. However small bits are a problem again. The plastic ring held to the cap by little links is probably so as to make the bottle easily identified as tampered with.

All of the above issues are down to human behaviour/lazyness.

Bring back glass bottles with a deposit on them I say.

Gloster

Established Member
I have to say that I remove the cap and the ring wherever possible before recycling as I was told a while back that they are usually a different grade of plastic to the bottle and should be dealt with separately. I have no idea if this is or ever was true, but I keep an old knife by the sink to lever off the rings.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
For recycling we always crush our bottles flat and put the cap on to stop it coming back up to save space in the green bin. I’m sure many of us do this.
Our council specifically tells us not to do this because bottles are scanned to check what type of plastic they are, and if they are crushed they cannot do the scanning so they get sent to landfill...

We're also instructed to leave the tops on, so I guess that bit is to avoid loose tops everywhere in the system.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
I have to say that I remove the cap and the ring wherever possible before recycling as I was told a while back that they are usually a different grade of plastic to the bottle and should be dealt with separately. I have no idea if this is or ever was true, but I keep an old knife by the sink to lever off the rings.
I used to remove the plastic top and ring, also the same for the metal cap on wine bottles but the rest of the household complain about me wasting time. TBH could go back to the days when you took your own container to the shop to buy the liquid etc, oh and ban pop !. We are so "advanced" these days !.

Our council specifically tells us not to do this because bottles are scanned to check what type of plastic they are, and if they are crushed the cannot do the scanning so they get sent to landfill...
And yet i was told to remove the top so that the truck can crush them easier.

I am aware that different parts of the UK have different protocols though. Different boxes/bags/bins for varying groups of recycling. I wonder about standardisation - its a standard problem. And still many say - why cant the council sort it :frown:.

DelW

Established Member
Our council specifically tells us not to do this because bottles are scanned to check what type of plastic they are, and if they are crushed they cannot do the scanning so they get sent to landfill...
I am aware that different parts of the UK have different protocols though. Different boxes/bags/bins for varying groups of recycling. I wonder about standardisation - its a standard problem. And still many say - why cant the council sort it :frown:.
When we first had household kerbside recycling collections about 20 years ago, everything had to be sorted into separate boxes and baskets, and we were asked to flatten bottles and cans to save space in the collection vehicles.

Then about 8 or 10 years ago we went to all recyclables being collected in a single wheelie bin, for sorting later. IIRC we were then told to leave them uncrushed, so that the optical scanners Peter mentions could recognise them. So I guess it depends on the facilities at the particular recycling plant.

"Cap on" for plastic bottles seems to me to be quite a recent change, but is becoming widespread. I imagine the plastic strips that Ashley Hill referred to, have been added because not many people noticed the change on the recycling symbol on those bottles.

Howardh

Established Member
So I'm officially old and getting illnesses that I never had before.

Cue severe grass/house mites allergy which has had me down for three months now. Admittedly been on and off, but at worst had red face/shoulders, peeling, weeping and just downright uncomfortable especially sleeping. Finally diagnosed as such after a blood test, now on steroid tablets etc to put me right.

So, goodbye face-masks 2021, hello face-masks 2024. Gonna have to buy one of the best washable brands to keep those darned pollens out when I'm mowing the lawn, or even just out-and-about in the parks. So if you see me on a train all masked up....that's the reason!!

And if the medication and filters don't work, I'll be looking for a retirement flat at the seaside where there's no grass and no carpets....how many real-ale bars are there in Lytham???

AM9

Veteran Member
I used to remove the plastic top and ring, also the same for the metal cap on wine bottles but the rest of the household complain about me wasting time. TBH could go back to the days when you took your own container to the shop to buy the liquid etc, oh and ban pop !. We are so "advanced" these days !.

And yet i was told to remove the top so that the truck can crush them easier.

The sheer gross inconsistency between the numerous local authority recycling schemes is a disgrace. It undermines the effectiveness of recycling everywhere. Once it became clear that local authorities all have their pet contractors who in turn elect to to recycle in slightly different ways, instead of awarding councils brownie points for the level of landfill avoidance, the government should have established a common set of standards for all areas. Accepting that some councils may have difficulties with certain types of refuse, and certain types of 'non-compliant polluters'*, there is no excuse for the number of different bin colours that residents and visitors have to choose from for each waste material class. Here (St Albans DC) we have green, brown and black bins, but when on holiday, I've seen blue, grey, red and purple bins and have no idea of what goes in which bin, or indeed what will be taken at all!

* apart from the low life that drops litter anywhere, there's the problems of large events, and holiday resorts that tend to engender fron poor compliance of waste recycling/disposal.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
The sheer gross inconsistency between the numerous local authority recycling schemes is a disgrace. It undermines the effectiveness of recycling everywhere. Once it became clear that local authorities all have their pet contractors who in turn elect to to recycle in slightly different ways, instead of awarding councils brownie points for the level of landfill avoidance, the government should have established a common set of standards for all areas. Accepting that some councils may have difficulties with certain types of refuse, and certain types of 'non-compliant polluters'*, there is no excuse for the number of different bin colours that residents and visitors have to choose from for each waste material class. Here (St Albans DC) we have green, brown and black bins, but when on holiday, I've seen blue, grey, red and purple bins and have no idea of what goes in which bin, or indeed what will be taken at all!

* apart from the low life that drops litter anywhere, there's the problems of large events, and holiday resorts that tend to engender fron poor compliance of waste recycling/disposal.
And then Croydon going from a green box and a blue box to a wheely bin for each so now everywhere is a sea of nearly empty wheely bins even though we managed with just two boxes plus the spares (for parties) that stacked inside each other when not in use. Croydon nowadays wants us to pay for our garden waste collections - many seem to dump it, burn it or stuff it in the normal waste. I still compost what I can and the rest is a drive to the tip. I can see us getting charged to recycle everything - what incentive is that ?.

Howardh

Established Member
Several....including the excellent Lytham Taps! :D
Actually I do know, there are two adjacent to each other!! I call it retirement paradise, especially the second-hand/charity shops where people dump their once-time-used designer gear!!

Ediswan

Established Member
Some years ago the local Co-op switched to thin green 'compostable' single use bags. I used one of these as a liner for the council food waste caddy, then placed it in the 'garden waste and compost bin' for collection. Came home to find said bag rejected and sat on top of the bin. 'Wrong kind of composting system' apparently.

Trainguy34

Some years ago the local Co-op switched to thin green 'compostable' single use bags. I used one of these as a liner for the council food waste caddy, then placed it in the 'garden waste and compost bin' for collection. Came home to find said bag rejected and sat on top of the bin. 'Wrong kind of composting system' apparently.
On a related note, why do they (or at least near me they do) always smell of gypsy tart? Haven't had it in a few years but can still recognise it now!

Lost property

My own local council, hardly noted for competence, last year issued an edict, that, NO !! paper / cardboard would henceforth be placed in the blue recycling bin and kindly gave everybody blue bags to be used in lieu. Never mind this actually slows down the collection process.

Shortly after,I watched the bin being inspected and the "rejected " note being left. Hence, being curious, I inconsiderately asked..why?

The response was "yer put carboard in the blue bag, not the bin !"....when asked to show where the offending carboard was, a Tesco eclair box was hauled out of the bin...I felt, at this point, any form of rational conversation would be futile.

Calthrop

Established Member
On a related note, why do they (or at least near me they do) always smell of gypsy tart? Haven't had it in a few years but can still recognise it now!

Perhaps I'm culturally deprived; but, had never heard of gypsy tart before reading this post. Learn from Googling, that this comestible is made with evaporated milk, muscovado, and pastry; originates from the Isle of Sheppey; and is, for many people, associated with school dinners.

75A

Established Member
I must be culturally deprived as well, because I'd never heard of gypsy tart, but then again I never had dinner @ school, I always went home.

Last edited:

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Perhaps I'm culturally deprived; but, had never heard of gypsy tart before reading this post. Learn from Googling, that this comestible is made with evaporated milk, muscovado, and pastry; originates from the Isle of Sheppey; and is, for many people, associated with school dinners.
OMG. That "dish" called Gypsy Tart is deeply deeply ingrained in my subconcious fear as one of the most revolting school deserts I know. I see it on sale in Morrisons BUT cannot even bring myself to look twice at it to judge if it is better than the totally bland abomination my school foisted on us.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I once lived in Sittingbourne, just over the Swale from Sheppey, not that I ever visited the place. and I recollect seeing it for sale in bakers. I'm hazy as to whether I tried it then, but a Co-Op run bakery in Hither Green, where I moved to next, certainly sold it. I found it okay, if unexciting.

Benters

You start watching gardening programmes quite regularly-something you wouldn't dream of doing in your twenties and thirties.

ChrisC

Established Member
You start watching gardening programmes quite regularly-something you wouldn't dream of doing in your twenties and thirties.
That’s so funny. It’s 8.20pm on a Friday and I’m watching Gardeners World right now. I wouldn’t have been in the house at this time on a Friday evening when I was in my twenties and thirties. I can’t even walk round the corner to the village pub as it closed last week. The last bus into town went at 6.40pm and there is no bus back home so no point.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
That’s so funny. It’s 8.20pm on a Friday and I’m watching Gardeners World right now. I wouldn’t have been in the house at this time on a Friday evening when I was in my twenties and thirties. I can’t even walk round the corner to the village pub as it closed last week. The last bus into town went at 6.40pm and there is no bus back home so no point.
Bugger I missed it. Still being in London I am on a night bus route, but being old I have no friends going to the pub so regularly !.

D6130

Established Member
but being old I have no friends going to the pub so regularly !.
A pub is a great place to make new friends. (Full disclosure: My wife and I are shareholders in the first community-owned co-operative pub in West Yorkshire....which is thriving - unlike a lot of its big company-owned competitors).

Peter Sarf

Established Member
A pub is a great place to make new friends. (Full disclosure: My wife and I are shareholders in the first community-owned co-operative pub in West Yorkshire....which is thriving - unlike a lot of its big company-owned competitors).
Thats nice.

nw1

Established Member
When the local radio station plays a Golden Hour, and you only know about half the songs, not because the year is too long ago, but because it's too recent!

And you know less songs than when they do a year before you were even born.

Happened to me tonight for I think the first time.