• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

You know you’re getting older when……

Junctionman

On Moderation
i remember snow , but i don`t remember it being on the news how much it cost for grit and `were running out`
and did leaves on the track or the `wrong kind of snow` affect steam locos and timetables

Steam was being phased out when i was young (born in 1960) but i still remember steam locos cos there was a railway line more or less at the bottom of our garden , Robinson 04`s cant remember any others like 9f`s .I just remember long dirty black tubes !!!!

i also remember milk checks , cheese wire at the co-op and `divvy` at the co-op

what else
Smog , next door putting lime on his garden or having a big pile of manure delivered , Ajax , Acdo , Phensic , TCP , Victory V Lozengers , `Eat me dates` (YUCK)

“Nostalgia ain’t what it used to be…”

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
The kids of today wouldn't have a clue what logs are. And as to "bar one" ...

For the younger ones amongst you, "bar one point 7" means "minus 0.3". "Bar" numbers were useful when adding columns of logs some of which are positive (numbers >1) and others negative (numbers <1).

It was always a difficult choice as to whether to take log tables or slide rules into science exams. I preferred the former as they were more accurate.

simonw

For the younger ones amongst you, "bar one point 7" means "minus 0.3". "Bar" numbers were useful when adding columns of logs some of which are positive (numbers >1) and others negative (numbers <1).

It was always a difficult choice as to whether to take log tables or slide rules into science exams. I preferred the former as they were more accurate.
They would know what logs are, they would just use the word to mean something very different.

Dai Corner

Established Member
Might this have been the oft-repeated mid 1960s era Yugoslav/German co-production "The White Horses"; the UK theme tune for which was subsequently a 1968 Top Ten hit single for "Jacky" (a.k.a. Jackie Lee)?

That's the one!

You know you're getting old when your recollections are sort of on the right lines but quite inaccurate.

birchesgreen

Established Member

I like this thread. I am 52 yet i am included as one of the kids of today. :lol:

So is this something to do with wood stoves?

david1212

Established Member
Alongside log tables sine, cosine and tangent tables, now just press a couple of calculator buttons.

Nutall's table book.

I was surprised to find the Zeus book is still available.

Calculators or anything else with Nixie tubes.

Attachments

• Nutalls.jpeg
    Nutalls.jpeg
    21.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Zeus.jpg
    Zeus.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Anita1011_1.JPG
    Anita1011_1.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Anita1000LSI-1.JPG
    Anita1000LSI-1.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Nixie2.gif
    Nixie2.gif
    148.2 KB · Views: 10

Typhoon

Established Member
i remember snow , but i don`t remember it being on the news how much it cost for grit and `were running out`
and did leaves on the track or the `wrong kind of snow` affect steam locos and timetables
It was the news in the winter of '62-'63. I can remember leaning out of an upstairs window and using a yard broom to knock down icicles, also clearing the pavement in front of the house and shoveling it into the road, and repeating this in front of neighbour's houses, if they cannot do it themselves, for which we might get a tanner. As regards gritting, I seem to remember lorries driving along main roads and workmen shoveling whatever it was into the roads.

AM9

Veteran Member
Nearly 9 years ago we had a week in Iceland, and there I sampled a 'genuine full Icelandic breakfast in a restaurant. After the various mini-courses, - some fish, there was a small 'shot' glass put in front of me with what looked like olive oil. When I tasted it I was pleased to be reintroduced to the taste of cod liver oil. Yes, I quite enjoyed it.
... waits for comments from haters of the stuff ... o_O
A couple of years later my GP advised me to take cod liver oil capules every day, which I do now. Usually I don't get the taste unless I've just had something hot which melts the gel capsule before it is in my stomach. ;)

D6130

Established Member
I seem to remember westerns like The Lone Ranger on BBC, there was also Champion the Wonder Horse (can't remember the channel). Laramie might have been on during children's programmes.

I probably watched more American programmes then than I do now (which shows that my taste has matured with age).

There were also some prgrammes from Europe (France?)
Hector's House (La Maison de Toutou) was a French children's series dubbed into English....and, IIRC, The Singing Ringing Tree was from the former East Germany.

DelW

Established Member
Alongside log tables sine, cosine and tangent tables, now just press a couple of calculator buttons.

Nutall's table book.

I was surprised to find the Zeus book is still available.

Calculators or anything else with Nixie tubes.
I only got rid of my school-era book of Castle's 5-figure tables a few years ago. In our engineering office, we had a hardback book of 7-figure tables in our reference bookcase until an office downsize in 2006.

I still have a collection of slide rules, some of which came from older colleagues retiring and clearing their desks.

I like that gif of the Nixie tube. It would be great to have a calculator simulation with a display like that!

Lost property

Most electronic devices don't respond well to oil and swarf.
Along with not always having a calc to hand.

Training baby engineers was a revelation in many respects as to the current education syllabus / methods. With the above in mind, I used to ask them to convert a torque loading of lbs. in to lbs.ft. 980 to be precise, but stipulated they could only use mental arithmetic or paper calculations.

A few managed the mental arithmetic, most went for the the written. The calculations were extensive !....so I kindly showed them the very simple form which I, and many on here, will be familiar with....they were, usually, generally surprised and impressed.

The same reliance on technology was also evident when I asked about how they calculated fuel uplift / consumption for their car along with time / distance / speed when driving. The answer was always the same....trip computer.

I'm far from being a technology luddite, but, I don't see anything wrong with being able to use basic maths if for no other reason (a crash aside, obviously) than to keep mentally active.

McRhu

Does that essentially cover the majority of Gerry + Sylvia Anderson's TV output? (Fireball XL5, Thunderbirds, etc.)?
Four Feather Falls and Supercar too. Yes. Incidentally some Fireball XL5 have been redone as a fan project using CGI.

Hector's House (La Maison de Toutou) was a French children's series dubbed into English....and, IIRC, The Singing Ringing Tree was from the former East Germany.
I have the legendary The Singing Ringing Tree (Das Singende, Klingende Baumchen or Germanic words to that effect) and The Tinderbox on DVD. Along with several others (eg. Robinson Crusoe whose theme tune everyone of a certain age remembers) it was one of the Tales from Europe offerings.

Last edited:

gg1

Established Member
Along with not always having a calc to hand.

Training baby engineers was a revelation in many respects as to the current education syllabus / methods. With the above in mind, I used to ask them to convert a torque loading of lbs. in to lbs.ft. 980 to be precise, but stipulated they could only use mental arithmetic or paper calculations.

A few managed the mental arithmetic, most went for the the written. The calculations were extensive !....so I kindly showed them the very simple form which I, and many on here, will be familiar with....they were, usually, generally surprised and impressed.
Is mental arithmetic even assessed in GCSE Maths these days? It certainly wasn't when I took mine, though that was over 30 years ago, annoying for me as it's something I've always been reasonably good at.

theblackwatch

Established Member
As we're on a railway forum; Casey Jones the steam loco engineer.
I thought Casey Jones was a burger chain on railway stations. :lol:

Mind, some on here will be too young to remember them, They were Rail Riders sticker stations too if I remember right!

Lost property

Is mental arithmetic even assessed in GCSE Maths these days? It certainly wasn't when I took mine, though that was over 30 years ago, annoying for me as it's something I've always been reasonably good at.
I honestly don't know, but, from my experiences / encounters, possibly not or if it is, to a minimal level only.

Ironically, when doing the stats. module of my Degree, great emphasis was placed on "all workings must be shown "....hence even if you got the wrong answer, you would still get marks for showing how you made your calculations.

Simply crunching the numbers into a calc and then writing the answer down was, "actively discouraged ".

Ediswan

Established Member
i`m not sure ,Space 1999 was too .
No puppets in Space 1999. Plenty of actors dressed in dodgy 'alien' costumes though.

I have the legendary The Singing Ringing Tree (Das Singende, Klingende Baumchen or Germanic words to that effect) and The Tinderbox on DVD.
Does it list the English lanuague voice artists ? Sometimes I see an actor where the voice is far more familiar than the face and I wonder ...

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
I thought Casey Jones was a burger chain on railway stations.
It was, but where do you reckon they got the idea for the name from?

BTW, when were the Casey Jones burger bars (part of the Travellers' Fare operation) first opened? 1982?

And where on the GB network were these "restaurants" located? Birmingham New Street (opened 1982), Liverpool Lime Street, London Euston, London Victoria (adjacent platforms 12+13), London Charing Cross, Glasgow Central, Edinburgh Waverley and Manchester Piccadilly (opened 1984) certainly. Where else?

Peter Sarf

Established Member

BTW, when were the Casey Jones burger bars (part of the Travellers' Fare operation) first opened? 1982?

And where on the GB network were these "restaurants" located? Birmingham New Street (opened 1982), Liverpool Lime Street, London Euston, London Victoria (adjacent platforms 12+13), London Charing Cross, Glasgow Central, Edinburgh Waverley and Manchester Piccadilly (opened 1984) certainly. Where else?
Not sure how many. I think Casey Jones all got turned over to MsDonalds franchises. They tend to be McDonalds that do not accept any of the voucher schemes or other offers btw.

gg1

Established Member

The gentleman they're named after isn't well known this side of the atlantic, I was well into my 20s before I discovered they were named after a real person.

On the subject of long departed railway junk food, I was a big fan of Traveller's Fare brunch muffins.

Typhoon

Established Member
By 'mental arithmetic' do you mean non-calculator or arithmetic done 'in your head'?

If it is the former, Yes.
AQA Syllabus
Paper 1: non-calculator
What's assessed
Content from any part of the specification may be assessed
How it's assessed
  • written exam: 1 hour 30 minutes
  • 80 marks
  • non-calculator
  • 33⅓% of the GCSE Mathematics assessment
Questions
A mix of question styles, from short, single-mark questions to multi-step problems. The mathematical demand increases as a student progresses through the paper.
Edexcel is similar. As a career teacher/ lecturer and sometime assistant examiner (marker) for Mathematics, I can never remember exams that involved sums done 'in your head'. I don't think they would be popular with schools, quite staff intensive and potentially prone to students asking for a question to be repeated as they didn't hear it.
Ironically, when doing the stats. module of my Degree, great emphasis was placed on "all workings must be shown "....hence even if you got the wrong answer, you would still get marks for showing how you made your calculations.

Simply crunching the numbers into a calc and then writing the answer down was, "actively discouraged ".
I can't vouch for this still being the case but that was always the case when I marked GCSE Maths. The point of exams is to give a student credit for what they know - for instance, in quite a long question, to distinguish the candidate who is clueless from one who has made one careless mistake, for instance copying the number 52853 down as 52583. They will be penalised because they won't get the right answer but given credit for any steps in the working that are correct (commonly called 'Method Marks').
Any candidate should write down every step they take, as markers we were encouraged to look for correct problem solving techniques. Those that didn't would not be invited back. As you suggest, number crunching on a calculator is discouraged; if an answer is 12.6 and the student just writes down 12.5 that would usually get no marks because there is no indication of where that number came from, it could be that they haven't rounded the answer up but it could be that they have drawn a graph when the question asked them to 'calculate'. It certainly used to be obvious which centres were staffed by current or recent markers, they knew exactly what to do to maximise their marks. Marking schemes for some boards, at least, are readily available on-line.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
The gentleman they're named after isn't well known this side of the atlantic, I was well into my 20s before I discovered they were named after a real person.

On the subject of long departed railway junk food, I was a big fan of Traveller's Fare brunch muffins.
As a 64 year old I knew of the name Casey Jones - on kids TV all the time.

Gosh I had forgotten - yes the "Brunch Muffin" was my favourite back in the day. I don't do railway food nowadays (too tight).

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The 32 episodes "Casey Jones" (American railroad engineer) TV series was widely aired on British TV, both on ITV (late 1950s/early 1960s) and then the BBC (late 1960s/early 1970s) so you'd probably need to have been of a certain age demographic to have watched these shows back in the day.

gg1

Established Member
The 32 episodes "Casey Jones" (American railroad engineer) TV series was widely aired on British TV, both on ITV (late 1950s/early 1960s) and then the BBC (late 1960s/early 1970s) so you'd probably need to have been of a certain age demographic to have watched these shows back in the day.
A bit before my time. :D

I didn't know there was a TV series until reading that, the first time I discovered he was anything other than a name for a burger chain was when I heard him referenced in a film.

McRhu

If I remember correctly (which I probably don't!) Casey Jones' track gauge used to vary between standard and narrow without his engine even reducing speed. He just went steamin' and a-rollin' without batting an eyelid.