• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

You know you’re getting older when……

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
I'm a relatively recent convert to using phone apps for navigation rather than using an old fashioned map before setting off. It's mostly fine, but had an issue last week trying to get somewhere in Leeds when the app was telling me to "turn left onto Studio Road". Leeds City Council don't appear to bother putting nameboards on many of their streets, and as it was dark I had no way of identifying which road was "Studio Road". Had it been summer, I'd have been able to work out that it was the road that went up the side of the ITV building.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pinza-C55

When you want to buy a bottle of Warninks Advocaat and the staff at Asda don't even know what it is , including the one stocking the drink shelves.

PeterY

Established Member
When you want to buy a bottle of Warninks Advocaat and the staff at Asda don't even know what it is , including the one stocking the drink shelves.
I know it's a "ladies" drink but I actually like advocaat:D:D:D . I very rarely drink but my daughter buys me one bottle a year and when its gone its gone until next Christmas.

317 forever

Established Member
I know it's a "ladies" drink but I actually like advocaat:D:D:D . I very rarely drink but my daughter buys me one bottle a year and when its gone its gone until next Christmas.
We could play Devil's Advocaat and allow it for being equally drinkable for both genders :lol:

Lost property

You've never heard of the "singer " who will represent the UK in the Eurovision Screeching Contest ...not that I'm remotely interested anyway.

nw1

Established Member
When you don't remember several consecutive years of Christmas Number Ones.

I know just about all of them from 1962 to 2011 (except 2007), however I don't recall the number ones from 2012-2014, and 2018 to date. (See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UK_Singles_Chart_Christmas_number_ones)

I thought a new version of "Do They Know It's Christmas" ("Band Aid 30") was the chart topper in 2014, evidently not. Furthermore I'm sure Ed Sheeran and Elton John did it a couple of years ago, again evidently not. And I thought "Last Christmas" (finally) did it in 2020. So you're getting even older when you get the Christmas number ones wrong!

You've never heard of the "singer " who will represent the UK in the Eurovision Screeching Contest ...not that I'm remotely interested anyway.

Well given they are normally new, that's not too surprising I guess. Even the most famous new act(perhaps), Bucks Fizz, were AFAIK, unknown at the start of 1981.

There have been a few over the years who have been established artists (e.g. Cliff Richard, Katrina and the Waves, Englebert Humperdinck) but those were exceptions.

Last edited:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
When you don't remember several consecutive years of Christmas Number Ones.

I know just about all of them from 1962 to 2011 (except 2007), however I don't recall the number ones from 2012-2014, and 2018 to date. (See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UK_Singles_Chart_Christmas_number_ones)

I thought a new version of "Do They Know It's Christmas" ("Band Aid 30") was the chart topper in 2014, evidently not. Furthermore I'm sure Ed Sheeran and Elton John did it a couple of years ago, again evidently not. And I thought "Last Christmas" (finally) did it in 2020. So you're getting even older when you get the Christmas number ones wrong!

Well given they are normally new, that's not too surprising I guess. Even the most famous new act(perhaps), Bucks Fizz, were AFAIK, unknown at the start of 1981.

There have been a few over the years who have been established artists (e.g. Cliff Richard, Katrina and the Waves, Englebert Humperdinck) but those were exceptions.

Easy to know at least the group since 2018!

nw1

Established Member
Easy to know at least the group since 2018!
Have passed me by, maybe it's a generational thing....

Their songs are never played on the radio stations I listen to, ranging from R2 to ILR and (less so since some presenters I like left) BBC local radio, put it that way.

Howardh

Established Member
....when my ankle which got hurt playing hockey tonight will take days, maybe over a week to heal, whereas when I was younger three pints and rub did the trick for the following day!

gg1

Established Member
Reminds me of my Asda experience last christmas.

I asked a young shelf stacker (I'd guess aged 16-18) if he knew where the sherry was, he asked his equally youthful colleague, her response was "What's sherry?" to which his whispered response was "It's something old people drink".

Pinza-C55

I asked a young shelf stacker (I'd guess aged 16-18) if he knew where the sherry was, he asked his equally youthful colleague, her response was "What's sherry?" to which his whispered response was "It's something old people drink".

What are young people drinking now which will produce the same reaction in 40 years ?

dangie

Established Member

Reminds me of a pub near to me.
I asked the young barmaid for ‘half a dozen beer mats’. She then turned to a colleague and asked ‘how many is half a dozen’?

Pinza-C55

I asked the young barmaid for ‘half a dozen beer mats’. She then turned to a colleague and asked ‘how many is half a dozen’?

Some years ago I asked a young barmaid for a pint of lager and lime and she replied "would you like lime in that ?" o_O

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Nah. I got hammered on the just over forty years ago. Still have the unused part in the bottles.

This it will be something like vapes or Nitrous Oxide.
I can remember decades ago the term "ten bob bit" confusing many slightly younger than me.
Some years ago I asked a young barmaid for a pint of lager and lime and she replied "would you like lime in that ?" o_O
Well I often get problems getting across that I wan ALE or real ALE or just NOT lager.

Pinza-C55

If you remember when stuff like this was the province of science fiction. To be clear , these are real robots not CGI or animatronics. You can buy the yellow robot Spot for about $75K.

If you remember when stuff like this was the province of science fiction. To be clear , these are real robots not CGI or animatronics. You can buy the yellow robot Spot for about $75K.

Clever stuff but it’s basically ‘Dad Dancing’ which has been demonstrated successfully at weddings and parties for generations!!

Pinza-C55

Clever stuff but it’s basically ‘Dad Dancing’ which has been demonstrated successfully at weddings and parties for generations!!

But these aren't "Dads" they are machines and in maybe 10 years they will have CPUs that will enable them to think. They will effectively be people. You are watching the evolution of a new form of life.

You can remember your posher elderly relations fifty years ago having their copies of Radio Times in a mock leather or embroidered cover

Dai Corner

Established Member
You can remember your posher elderly relations fifty years ago having their copies of Radio Times in a mock leather or embroidered cover
Or remember when you had to buy the Radio Times for BBC programme listings and TV Times for ITV.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Still available. Black, Racing Green or Burgundy. A snip at £22.50 and they seem to be made from actual leather these days.

ChrisC

Established Member
Or remember when you had to buy the Radio Times for BBC programme listings and TV Times for ITV.
I also remember when for ITV you had to make sure that you got the correct regional edition. In those days when each ITV region were separate companies programme schedules could be very different even in neighbouring regions. I lived on the border between Yorkshire TV and ATV Midlands and there were always 2 piles of magazines in the shop. I needed a Yorkshire edition and it was really annoying if I picked up a Midlands edition by mistake.