• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your nicknames for stations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinza-C55

Aren't those nicknames for the towns, rather than the stations?

"Rave-o" = Ravensthorpe. Would also be a name for the area... but there's nowt there of note besides the station, so it doesn't really come up.
Railway stations tend to be named after the towns they are in

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class800

Established Member
We called it Smelly Poke when I was a student.

Doing a train to "The Blocks" would have you arriving at The Cross.

A number of forum members appear to call B.N.S. (note the full stops) Barnes for some reason.
BNS is a nickname for Birmingham New Street but the official station code for Barnes! Hence why BNS isn't used on here for Brum!

I've heard it called 'Limey' with locals.

I'll throw another one in, Manchester Oxford Road -Occy road.

One of my own, 'Where are you trackman?' I'm at London Useless station. caller: 'Oh, you mean Euston?'
Euston can be called Houston by some people, as in Houston, we have a problem

The only one I tend to use really is The Ford for Hereford. Although I do sometimes use Brunel's Cathedral for London Paddington.

The Bat Cave was certainly common a few years ago for Birmingham New Street, but that seems to have dropped out of favour.

If I'm texting about a train I'm on, I might shorten the name of the station to 'Padd' or 'St Pan' (for two examples) if I know the other person knows what I'm talking about.

In general I don't see much in the way of nicknames for stations, although I did like Worcester Shrub Hill being referred to as Worcester Super Mud a number of years ago when the area near Shrub Hill (I think!) had been badly affected by flooding.
Waverley for Edinburgh (although it's an older name it's still on some signs). Citadel for Carlisle. Leeds City for Leeds (even one sign says that). And all sorts of mangled pronunciations of Arsenal to avoid the 'swear' word. And going in the other way, Arlesey gets called Arselee quite often

There's so many actually. Listed on the other linked thread, but depends where you are. Tivvy Porkway - for Tiverton Parkway. Brissle Temple Meads for Bristol, but that's more just Bristolian dialect. Loads in London, Hammer or Hammers for Hammersmith, Sloaney for Sloane Square (alternative Sloane Ranger), Oxo for Oxford Circus (vs Occy Road in Manchester), Chips and Ham for Chippenham, so local ones such as Sarum for Salisbury or Salop for Shrewsbury. Whatever takes your fancy really

Last edited:

Parallel

Established Member
I’ve heard both Okey and Barney for Okehampton and Barnstaple respectively.

Many locals refer to Bradford on Avon as ‘Bower’ (BOA).

Trowbridge is also sometimes referred to as Trowvegas. I also occasionally hear Chippenham as ‘ Chippers’.

AM9

Veteran Member
Also "Snives" St Ives
"Snozell" St Austell
"Druth" Redruth
"Mens pants" Penzance!
Aren't they really nicknames for those places, I've heard 'Snives' before (noticed because 'Snorbens' is used around here.

Class800

Established Member
Aren't they really nicknames for those places, I've heard 'Snives' before (noticed because 'Snorbens' is used around here.
And the station, often the same

Never heard the men's pants one but it's funny. A ticket from Mens Pants to Penis Town please!

geoffk

Established Member
I've seen the boards at Ince and Elton amended to read Vince Hill and Elton John.

Clapham Junction: Clappy J

Willesden Junction: Willy J
And Duvvy J on the Cambrian ;)

Machynlleth is quite often shortened to Mach as is Aberystwyth to Aber (I believe thats already been mentioned).

A relatively new one I've heard for Barmouth is 'Tourist Terminal'.

Kidderminster - Kiddie
University - Uni
Warwick - Wozza with the optional additional of Parkway to the end
Coventry - Cov

Just a few of many.

12LDA28C

Established Member
Basingrad for Basingstoke.

I knew it as 'Blazingsmoke' when there were loco-hauled trains on the 'Mule'.

Banburg - Banbury
Bomo - Bournemouth
Soton - Southampton
Skegvegas - Skegness

Also, in a similar vein to the 'Bed Pan' line, we had the 'Wat Eus' line.

Last edited:

DustyBin

Established Member
I once overheard a couple of enthusiasts on a LO 315 refer to "hack-me-down" which doesn't take much working out!

Pinza-C55

I read once that a porter at Balham Station used to walk up and down shouting "balambalambalam" when a train came in.

Class800

Established Member
I knew it as 'Blazingsmoke' when there were loco-hauled trains on the 'Mule'.

Banburg - Banbury
Bomo - Bournemouth
Soton - Southampton
Skegvegas - Skegness

Also, in a similar vein to the 'Bed Pan' line, we had the 'Wat Eus' line.
Wat Eus, what use, love it

D6130

Established Member
Not strictly-speaking a station....but as teenaged spotters in the early 'seventies, we used to refer to Polmadie depot in Glasgow as 'Pol-maddy' - not so much for the depot itself, but more for the surrounding area and 'characters'! :smile:

pharrc20

Wasn't Birmingham New Street referred to as Mordor back in the 80s 90s bashing days?
A Buxton guard used to announce the Buxton line stations something like Davy, Woods, Grove, Middle, Disley, Newtown, Whaley, Chapel, Dove and Buxt in one of his hurried announcements.
Luggabaruga or spelling thereof was local speak for Loughborough back when the Project Rio HSTs were running from the Dilly to Panc - Manchester Piccadilly to London St. Pancras that is.
Cheers Paul

Geezertronic

Established Member
Wasn't Birmingham New Street referred to as Mordor back in the 80s 90s bashing days?
A Buxton guard used to announce the Buxton line stations something like Davy, Woods, Grove, Middle, Disley, Newtown, Whaley, Chapel, Dove and Buxt in one of his hurried announcements.
Luggabaruga or spelling thereof was local speak for Loughborough back when the Project Rio HSTs were running from the Dilly to Panc - Manchester Piccadilly to London St. Pancras that is.
Cheers Paul

General folk (the uninitiated if you like) also refer to Birmingham New Street as BNS which would be ok if that code wasn't taken by Barnes :)

xotGD

Established Member
Never heard that, and I lived in Brum at the time.

Newcastle Central is generally referred to as "The Central Station" or just "The Central" by us Geordies.

Railcar

'The Gate', for when Met tubes on the East London Line had a choice of New Cross or New Cross Gate

'The Gateway' - Balham (because it's the Gateway To The South)

D6975

Established Member
The reason that so many people use BNS for New St is that BNS was the station's code in that venerable series of books 1H81, 1H82 etc.

Has anyone said Fort Bill or Darlo yet?

william.martin

On Moderation
Shrewsbury = shoesbury.
London Marylebone = London Mary's bone.
Wolverhampton= Wolves
Crewe = Train centre UK.
Edinburgh = Edinburger.
Newport= Newnoport (it has no port)
Newcastle = Nuclear castle.

Last edited:

Student Accommodation = Exeter Central