• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your pub and hospitality experience as the Covid restrictions ease

Status
Not open for further replies.

johntea

Established Member
I went to Wetherspoons yesterday for a breakfast, unsurprisingly everybody was totally ignoring the 'MUST ASK FOR A CLEAN CUP EVERY REFILL!' nonsense

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

philosopher

Established Member
To me hospitality since reopening has been mixed

Cafes and restaurants I have generally found to be fine and are generally are now little different than in 2019 other than checking in and the wearing of masks. Both Caffe Nero and Starbucks have started serving hot drinks in ceramic mugs again, the first time they have both done so since March 2020, so quite a step back to normality. In one cafe however we were told off for sitting in a table that out of use due to social distancing.

Pubs I generally have found to be less great. One pub we were booted out after two hours. This I think is the major downside of pubs only being seated with table service. Another pub which was part of major chain I visited over the weekend was not only insisting on checking in for takeaway drinks, it was also only allowing ordering through a mobile phone app, which was a struggle to download due to poor 4G reception. Until social distancing goes to the pub experience is just not going to be as enjoyable as normal.

greyman42

Established Member
Another pub which was part of major chain I visited over the weekend was not only insisting on checking in for takeaway drinks, it was also only allowing ordering through a mobile phone app, which was a struggle to download due to poor 4G reception. Until social distancing goes to the pub experience is just not going to be as enjoyable as normal.
I refuse to order using apps. If they insist, get up and walk out.

kristiang85

Established Member
I refuse to order using apps. If they insist, get up and walk out.

But on the other hand, some pubs just aren't set up for table service and the apps just make it a lot easier.

I missed my train yesterday because I had to wait nearly 15 minutes for the staff to bring me the bill for two pints. On an app, you pay as you go.

But once you can order at the bar again, I will be back to doing that.

Butts

Veteran Member
Well I've been up and down the Country for the last week traversing by Plane, Train and Automobile (Uber), staying in Hotels Premier Inn / Express by Holiday Inn visiting Theme Parks and Museums et al.

Most places seem to be playing lip service to the regulations that no one really believes in.

The most ridiculous remains at Airports where they harp on about social distancing on the tannoy in an empty venue and conveniently ignore the fact it goes out the window on boarding and once inside.

DannyMich2018

Me and my partner went to the pub Saturday evening after dropping off my friend at the taxi rank (who had came round for a few drinks at mine). Managed to get in one place despite been quite small, tried to go into another bar after but were told were full. Tried to get into one more but the door staff were been awkward asking for ID due to something to do with the council despite me and my partner been well over 18!! Not a fan of this pub anyway ever since it changed from Wetherspoons to the New Baron, meals are awful and finish much earlier since they took over in 2019. Went back and managed to get into the local near my house, they were just about to call last orders. This pub would be normally rammed due to live music at the weekend but of course that's not happening right now. Also noticed one pub is only allowing regulars in only. How nasty!! With them been closed for 6 months they should be grateful for any custom they get, wouldn't go in anyway cause it's a rough pub. I find it easier, cheaper, less hassle, no silly masks, to have more drinks at home and can have a dance too with maybe just going to town for one or two until things go back more normal.

takno

Established Member
Second night in the pub closest to work tonight. No bookings allowed, walked straight in. Service from the app, but decent beer and food. Various staff and customers came over to say hello to our dog.

Got out and the streets were crowded (pretty much inevitable due to the government's stupid bedtime up here), and the bus was busier than usual. Absolutely lovely

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'd have liked to have found a nice pub yesterday, but it didn't stop raining, so I gave up.

takno

Established Member
Don't suppose you could provide a brief synopsis ? (My phone doesn't work well with video).
It's a video (apparently from November), showing a weird photobooth-style pod in a pub which takes your temperature and sprays you with a completely ineffective bacterial mist. The pub and salesman that flogged it to them appear very proud of themselves

yorksrob

Veteran Member
It's a video (apparently from November), showing a weird photobooth-style pod in a pub which takes your temperature and sprays you with a completely ineffective bacterial mist. The pub and salesman that flogged it to them appear very proud of themselves

Ah cheers. Sounds a bit 'Tomorrows World' to me !

LowLevel

Established Member
Rutland Arms, Sheffield. Scan the track and trace at the door, otherwise, feels no different to normal. Apart from the Victorian screens between seats none of that. Nice food, good beer served at the table and Black Sabbath playing at a nice background volume. Superb.

Tracked

Established Member
The Queen, Doncaster - Reopened Friday, good choice of beers available, but I noticed there were a few empty tables (this was around 18:30-19:00). Usually on Friday's they'd have music on and it'd be heaving, maybe it got busier later or maybe them being closed since March 2020 and reopening after most of the other pubs in town affected it.

Chesterfield Alehouse - Back before WFH this was my regular pub after work on Fridays, seat bookings recommended Friday evenings and weekends because it's only a tiny place, they've managed to arrange seating to accommodate people really well though. Reduced amount of beer choice compared to normal - 4 cask instead of 6, 10 Kegs, and some cans/bottles - but still more than some of the other pubs I've been in

Sheffield Tap - Went last Bank Holiday Monday, when it was a little wet and windy, and went yesterday when I could sit inside. Seemed normal, quieter inside because everyone was in the beer garden, but I'd rather sit and look at the trains than the road.

High Dyke

Established Member
We reopened The Railway Club at Grantham a couple of weeks back. I went down on the first night, but felt like an outsider in my own local - not much use as I'm the Designated Premises Supervisor. I didn't enjoy the night.

To balance the matter somewhat; visited a pub in Rothesay, Isle of Bute last week. Check-in process in Scotland so much quicker and easier than England. Enjoyed a couple of pints of local ale. Really pleasurable experience.

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Check-in process in Scotland so much quicker and easier than England.
Out of curiosity what is the difference? From a casual look they look pretty much identical (i.e. you scan a QR code with your phone either as you enter or on the table you sit down on).

S&CLER

Twenty-six of us, the mourners from a funeral at St Marie's Southport yesterday afternoon, crossed the road to the very conveniently situated Windmill pub after the service. Quick check-in, most by phone, one or two on paper. All very efficient. Allowed to sit six at a table in an area of the pub reserved for us in advance. All drinks paid for by the deceased's sister. Beer garden very busy on a very hot day.

Butts

Veteran Member
Currently in Northern Ireland staying at Express by Holiday Inn Belfast.

Not asked for any codes or to scan anything on arrival.

Breakfast almost back to normal - only the hot items you cannot access yourself.

Was the same at HI Express Newcastle last week.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Currently in Northern Ireland staying at Express by Holiday Inn Belfast.

Not asked for any codes or to scan anything on arrival.

Breakfast almost back to normal - only the hot items you cannot access yourself.

Was the same at HI Express Newcastle last week.

I could put up with that even non COVID!

duncanp

Established Member
I saw a report of a long wait for someone to get served in a Wetherspoons pub in Exeter on the Bank Holiday Weekend.

They had ordered using the App, but it was two hours later before they got served their drinks.

This is one major flaw in using an App to order, it doesn't take account of how busy the pub is. With ordering at the bar, you can see how busy the place is, and decide whether or not to wait to get served.

Ultimately, it is about having enough staff on duty to be able to fulfil orders, whatever method of ordering is used, and I can see that there is a shortage of staff in parts of the hospitality sector.

greyman42

Established Member
I saw a report of a long wait for someone to get served in a Wetherspoons pub in Exeter on the Bank Holiday Weekend.

They had ordered using the App, but it was two hours later before they got served their drinks.
Seriously. Would anyone sit there for two hours waiting for their drinks?

Ediswan

Established Member
Seriously. Would anyone sit there for two hours waiting for their drinks?
Depends whether they had already paid maybe ? Also the wording was 'I saw a report of ...', so could just be gossip.

The sports and social club of which I am a member does not take payment until the drinks arrive.

greyman42

Established Member
Depends whether they had already paid maybe ? Also the wording was 'I saw a report of ...', so could just be gossip.

The sports and social club of which I am a member does not take payment until the drinks arrive.
I have not been in any establishment that takes payment before your drinks arrive.

Spamcan81

Visited my local a few times since the May relaxation of the rules. Scan in at the bar and then take a seat while waiting to be served. It's good to be back.

Status
Not open for further replies.