• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Abellio wins West Midlands franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ag51ruk

Worth noting Crewe to Euston will be routed away from Stone with a new hourly Birmingham to Crewe via Stone service being introduced, which will obviously require additional EMUs.

323s have been used in the past on peak Manchester - Birmingham trains (by FNW) and on Liverpool - Birmingham (by Central) - perhaps the 323s could find a home running north of New Street, on trains to Crewe and Liverpool? 1 x 3 car on the new Birmingham - Crewe service, and 2 x 3 car on the Birmingham - Liverpool. The acceleration would certainly help them find paths on the West Coast.

Last edited:

northwichcat

Veteran Member
While they could be refitted, they don't really have a metro-style interior as they are (that implies side-facing seating).

Not necessarily. Based on DfT's definition of 'metro style interior' used in various ITTs the 700s have a metro style interior and the SWT 455s and LO 172s almost match the requirement.

hwl

Established Member
Or it's when CAF will have completed delivery of the Northern order or when Stadler will have completed delivery of the Anglia order, or possibly just the earliest date any manufacturer can start delivery of a new train order?
Siemens could deliver earlier...

hwl

Established Member
Not necessarily. Based on DfT's definition of 'metro style interior' used in various ITTs the 700s have a metro style interior and the SWT 455s and LO 172s almost match the requirement.

But the metro interior has been defined as London Overground style in this case:
On top of this, there will be standing room for 50,000 passengers in Birmingham in metro-style carriages, similar to the ones used on the London Overground, for short cross-city journeys,

If it wasn't LO style how would you get the 50,000 standing space?

If DfT were being very brazen adding a new 6th car to some internally refurbished 707s (bench seats a la London Overground see below so not current 707 internals)

"and standing room for an additional 5,000 passengers in London." sounds about right for Anglia sized big vestibules but without the tip down seats.

Would it therefore be similar to this layout?

611px-London_Overground_Train_Interior.JPG

Would have much preferred something like the Siemens MX3000 as used on the Oslo Metro system

640px-MX3000_inside.jpg

Last edited:

TheDavibob

Would it therefore be similar to this layout?

Would have much preferred something like the Siemens MX3000 as used on the Oslo Metro system

I'd agree, there's no need for fully metro seating on the Cross-city. I know it gets very full in peaks, but off-peak it can be reasonably quiet, certainly no use getting rid of all normal seats.

S8-style interior, similar to the Oslo above but with longitudinal seating along one side, would work reasonably well - the Met line and the cross-city cater to a similar market (busy inner city coupled with reasonably light suburban loadings).

Last edited:

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Are the 323s going or are the 100 coaches for cross city in addition?

The number of new carriages for those services is 100. The number of additional carriages specifically for those services is unknown. Most people are predicting the 323s will leave but I don't think there's been any official confirmation yet.

I'd agree, there's no need for fully metro seating on the Cross-city. I know it gets very full in peaks, but off-peak it can be reasonably quiet, certainly no use getting rid of all normal seats.

S8-style interior, similar to the Oslo above but with longitudinal seating along one side, would work reasonably well - the Met line and the cross-city cater to a similar market (busy inner city coupled with reasonably light suburban loadings).

They have both in Oslo - they're hidden behind the bin and glass partition on the image above - with longitudinal seating both sides of that section

hwl

Established Member
Are the 323s going or are the 100 coaches for cross city in addition?

100(+*) extra cars would be about 2.5times the number of extra cars needed to run all cross city at max length so it looks like the 323s are going.

*Dft says 100+ in one place.

If the 100+ is more correct than 100, then 102 with 6 car might make sense but might be about 1 unit short depending on diagramming & changes so 108 might make more sense.

oversteer

I've grown to like LM. I hope things don't change too much and job losses are minimal.

jonesy3001

Established Member
As someone in the LM Area (Northampton, soon to be commuting to Coventry), while this doesn't deliver my wish of having some Northampton services go up the Trent Valley for better national connectivity northbound, it's nice to see that Govia lost (maybe the invisible guards will start showing their faces more often now), that Porterbrook's gamble backfired (although I don't have anything against the 323s), and that there will be some new DMUs. I do hope all the 319s, 150s, and 153s go.

The 150s are due to transfer to northern either this year or next.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
100(+*) extra cars would be about 2.5times the number of extra cars needed to run all cross city at max length so it looks like the 323s are going.

*Dft says 100+ in one place.

If the 100+ is more correct than 100, then 102 with 6 car might make sense but might be about 1 unit short depending on diagramming & changes so 108 might make more sense.

It's interesting they appear to have rounded the number of new carriages for the headlines but when the Northern franchise was let they didn't - the headlines referred to 281 new carriages for the franchise.

hwl

Established Member
How soon? I thought a reason for TPE and Anglia not using Siemens was they couldn't deliver a fleet of new trains by the end of 2019.

Neither can Bombardier but that didn't stop them getting the Anglia work.
Siemens being between 5-10% more expensive for a comparable spec. product probably made the difference between total fleet replacement or not in the Anglia bid. Ditto the first SW win.

The London end improvements seem to be targetted for May 2021 TT change.
Krefeld only has a long steady build of Velaros for DB after the 717 are finished next year along with arround 300 jobs going there next year

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Neither can Bombardier but that didn't stop them getting the Anglia work.
Siemens being between 5-10% more expensive for a comparable spec. product probably made the difference between total fleet replacement or not in the Anglia bid. Ditto the first SW win.

Don't Siemens include more 'after sales service' in their price than the likes of Bombardier or CAF?

hwl

Established Member
Don't Siemens include more 'after sales service' in their price than the likes of Bombardier or CAF?

Traditionally yes, but the numbers I mentioned were on a like for like basis.

More modern stock that is theoretically more reliable and needs less maintenance (even compared to Desiro or Electrostar) is hitting the value of 'after sales services' significantly. Bidders are also bench marking such costs on a pan European level leading to margin compression for the builders.

[just don't ask how I know any of this;)]

pdeaves

Established Member
Interestingly the press release contains the line "more space for passengers will be rolled out on the Marston Vale line".

Specifically, reference to "more space" rather than new trains and no reference to seats. With short platforms that don't lend themselves to tagging on an extra 153 and low-ish line speed, does this mean 230s, I wonder?

HLE

Established Member
153s won't be any use on their own because a 2019 compliant bog will remove too many seats. So I doubt they will stay long term unless formed into permanent pairs (i.e. 155s).

Surprised at the colour scheme not including Abellio red and being more like the existing LM one plus the orange. Is that because of the proposed generic WM livery perhaps? The font is definitely Abellio though.

Lock the bog out.

Simple solution

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Interestingly the press release contains the line "more space for passengers will be rolled out on the Marston Vale line".

Specifically, reference to "more space" rather than new trains and no reference to seats. With short platforms that don't lend themselves to tagging on an extra 153 and low-ish line speed, does this mean 230s, I wonder?

I'd suggest unless we hear otherwise the Sprinters will go and 2 car 170/172s will be internally cascaded to replace them following on from the new DMUs being introduced to boost capacity on the Snow Hill lines.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

If there can be three of them so a spare lives at Bletchley, I'd say that would be welcome. The as-built layout would work fine, with most trains being very quiet but the standing room coming in useful for the school trains.

Given that new stock will come with EWR so it only has to last another 10-20 years, it's hard to imagine a line more suited to them.

I've grown to like LM. I hope things don't change too much and job losses are minimal.

Agreed - the vast majority of the LM staff I've found to be brilliant at their jobs - hopefully the one or two who don't fall into this category will either improve with training or will not be required anymore.

driver_m

Established Member
One thing I've not seen mentioned. Does this mean Barlaston could be re-used if there's a service from Brum to Stoke ran by this new franchise holder.

Status
Not open for further replies.