• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

1992 stock Refurbishment?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D7666

With 455s, when there were 456s too, it was possible to have a 455 + 455 + 456 combo 10car formation of AC motor IGBT control 455 + DC motor resistor control 455 + thryristor control DC motor 456 - and it all worked

On one occasion I deliberately set about finding such 10car combos and managed Waterloo - Kingston loop anti clockwise - CLJ - Kingston loop clockwise - Waterloo.

Post is in reference to scattered posts upthread about mixing original and retractioned units.

Wolfie

Established Member
With 455s, when there were 456s too, it was possible to have a 455 + 455 + 456 combo 10car formation of AC motor IGBT control 455 + DC motor resistor control 455 + thryristor control DC motor 456 - and it all worked

On one occasion I deliberately set about finding such 10car combos and managed Waterloo - Kingston loop anti clockwise - CLJ - Kingston loop clockwise - Waterloo.

Post is in reference to scattered posts upthread about mixing original and retractioned units.
It doesn't, of course, follow that because that is true for one type of rolling stock it is true for all types of rolling stock.

D7666

Mixed formation will be possible for trains out of passenger service
AIUI mixed formation is a project goal but they just can't do it yet it is a lower priority target. SW 455s were the same when the first ones appeared they could not inter mix then later they could; you bake the cake before icing it.

xtmw

They will be capable to run out of passenger service in 'mixed formation', however, because of the mods (DTS, CIS screens etc) will prevent them from running in passenger service.

Geogregor

With all the trains going out of service due to motors breaking down, is there scope for speeding up refurbishment schedule? Wasn't the main limiting factor how many sets they can take out of circulation to maintain good service?

With so many trains out anyway due to technical issues, can they refurbish more sets at the same time?

Busman

I've noticed that the Hainault shuttle trains is top and tailed with a driver at each end, supposedly to speed up the turnaround at Woodford, can't say I've noticed much of a difference in turnaround time to be honest when I've used it.

I feel for those that live on that loop, especially those coming in from the Leytonstone/Central London knowing that their slowing train is about to come to a dead stop just outside of Woodford to watch the Hainault bound train leave the sidings knowing they have got to wait for that to get to Hainault and back.

It must be hell.

Dstock7080

Established Member
I've noticed that the Hainault shuttle trains is top and tailed with a driver at each end, supposedly to speed up the turnaround at Woodford, can't say I've noticed much of a difference in turnaround time to be honest when I've used it.
'double-ending' in LU terms

D7666

It has always puzzled me though why that facility is set up to work on 8car trains and not on 2car units or 4car half trains.

I accept that moving cars there might be better done as complete 8car sets and a need to have an equal throughput of AB and BC elements, but why they need a 5 road building 8cars long and work complete unit by complete unit, well, I can only say there must be method in the madness.

Before anyone says "how would you shunt 2car bits ?", there is already some form of shunting tractor in the Acton CLIP facility - or, at least, there was; some sort of little yellow tug thing.

Last edited:

Nym

Established Member
It has always puzzled me though why that facility is set up to work on 8car trains and not on 2car units or 4car half trains.

I accept that moving cars there might be better done as complete 8car sets and a need to have an equal throughput of AB and BC elements, but why they need a 5 road building 8cars long and work complete unit by complete unit, well, I can only say there must be method in the madness.

Before anyone says "how would you shunt 2car bits ?", there is already some form of shunting tractor in the Acton CLIP facility - or, at least, there was; some sort of little yellow tug thing.
You can also just use the shunting panel fitted at every autocoupler.

boiledbeans2

Don't the 2-car units with no driving cabs have a tiny shunting desk? I remember from the exterior of the shunting cab, they had only one light cluster instead of two.

EDIT: Nym beat me to it.
Here's a photo from the web:

D7666

re shunting I think you may have overlooked that Acton is not a depot but a works; the units at various stages of overhaul / refurb will be incapable of self movement; the shunting panels are NBG in a works environment if the thing is devoid of key items; also, I do not know if the Acton cLIP facility has shed leads; as it is a works, not a depot, it may not, in which case you can't move anything at all under is own power; which possibly explains why they have a shunting tractor anyway.

trebor79

Established Member

What would be the benefit of not doing complete trains at a time? We've been told upthread that unrefurbished and refurbished units will not be able to work together, so there's no benefit in doing 2 car chunks as you wouldn't be able to use them anyway until you had a full trains worth.

A60stock

The trains physically work and do the job they were supposed to do, which is to move passengers. So if working both refurbished and unbrefrubished sets together speeds up the progress of recoverability on the line, why not do so?

Is the issue with unrefurbished and refurbished trains working together just to do with the PIS? If the PIS does not work (can it work on half of the train?), then so be it. The priority should be to get as many trains back into action and focus on recovering the service asap. Most passengers will not care if the PIS works and it's only temporary anyway.

Dstock7080

Established Member
As stated earlier, un-refurbished and refurbished trains cannot work together as the DTS Data Transmission System has been completely updated during CLIP works.
Having the CIS not working on part of a train for convenience is not permitted.

Snow1964

Established Member
Appears that LUL have issued a consultation on extending RVAR non-compliant vehicles through to 2029.

Whole series of exemptions :
- public address not announcing destination in stations (want to do it when train has departed)
- floors having too steep slopes to wheelchair areas (presumably could roll back whilst entering)
- handrails not between 30 and 40mm (undersize so those with arthritis might not be able to grip)
- coloured floor band not compliant (so people with poor eyesight can see step)
- single handrails, so person with weakness on one side might not be able to use doorway (laughingly solution suggested is use next carriage, but then handrail on wrong side when exiting)
etc

link to page with consultation reply email address

H&I

Appears that LUL have issued a consultation on extending RVAR non-compliant vehicles through to 2029.

- public address not announcing destination in stations (want to do it when train has departed)
- floors having too steep slopes to wheelchair areas (presumably could roll back whilst entering)
- handrails not between 30 and 40mm (undersize so those with arthritis might not be able to grip)
- single handrails, so person with weakness on one side might not be able to use doorway (laughingly solution suggested is use next carriage, but then handrail on wrong side when exiting)
etc

Will new trains be ready by 2029, though? If not, they might need yet another exemption in the future.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Will new trains be ready by 2029, though? If not, they might need yet another exemption in the future.
No new trains have been ordered nor is any funding presently available for such order. The exemption is to cover through to the completion of the existing refurbishment project.

Via Bank

etc

Seems very odd to request a derogation for "not announcing destination in stations" seems like such an obvious thing to fix - just cut the 'this station is' announcement down to the minimum, like on the 345s and 710s. Would be a better customer experience too.

…unless they literally don't have the ability to do that with the trains' existing PIS?

Snow1964

Established Member
No new trains have been ordered nor is any funding presently available for such order. The exemption is to cover through to the completion of the existing refurbishment project.
Seems like they were previously granted an exemption few years ago based on the refurbishment being completed in 2024.

Delays to parts, and a 2 year pandemic has apparently added 5 years to date when they think refurbs will be completed

Nym

Established Member
A general lack of motivation to get the job done has delayed it. TfL management seems to be doing their typical head burial into some sand management.

rikufryderyk

Updates on the 1992 Central Line Rolling Stock's Refurbishment:
In March 2024, The CLIP train will now run between West Ruislip and North Acton from approximately 10pm- 4pm on:

Monday 4th
Tuesday 5th
Monday 11th
Tuesday 12th
Monday 18th
Tuesday 19th
Monday 25th
Tuesday 26th

Hope this info helps!

kacper

CLIP train ran shuttles today between North Acton and Ruislip Gardens under train 480,

LUYMun

A full set of announcements by Adrian on the Central and W&C lines is now available on YouTube: