• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

222 4-car sets to become 5-car by May 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snow1964

Established Member
The cynic in me thinks that the DfT are yet again shafting the East Midlands by not authorising any refurbishment of the 170s, 360s or 158s; but I retain hope that they will get the refurbishment that they and EMR’s passengers so richly deserve. I hope this also extends to repairing any defective 222 seating.

I don’t think DfT authorise wear and tear either, but it happens.

But I am sure there a franchise conditions regarding standards that have to me met by the train fleet, so surely there is an obligation to do some work to maintain or bring the seating upto a reasonable condition.

Surely it is only enhancements that get looked at by the DfT, not routine maintenance, cleaning and repairs.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LowLevel

Established Member
222104 now out in traffic with 60441 added, and not far off half the train as first class :lol:

Photo shows the mish mash of EMR liveries.

20220505_063013.jpg

Andy Pacer

Established Member
The simplest way for the extra 1st class coaches in the 4 coach units will simply permanently declassify it, with stickers saying "this seating is for standard class passengers". At least that gives the seat numbers a boost for 103+104.
But would that work for reservations?

spotify95

222104 now out in traffic with 60441 added, and not far off half the train as first class :lol:

Photo shows the mish mash of EMR liveries.

View attachment 114096
This isn't going to resolve any sorts of overcrowding issues at all on this route - usually, 1st Class is underused whereas Standard Class is fully used (and pre-pandemic, was overcrowded on some services). So adding more 1st Class will do virtually nothing to resolve this.

At the very least, 103/104 should have Coach C fully declassified, for 3 cars Standard and 2 cars First.

Personally, I believe that the extra 1st class coach should be altered to Standard, or declassified - not that it will ever happen!

But hey, at least we have no more 4 car Meridians...

Established Member
This isn't going to resolve any sorts of overcrowding issues at all on this route - usually, 1st Class is underused whereas Standard Class is fully used (and pre-pandemic, was overcrowded on some services). So adding more 1st Class will do virtually nothing to resolve this.

Today's 1705 from St Pancras is a 5 car vice 7 and full and standing, so it hasn't solved anything as far as I can see. Cruel irony to the fact it's 222006 which was a 7 car set last week.

DannyMich2018

Today's 1705 from St Pancras is a 5 car vice 7 and full and standing, so it hasn't solved anything as far as I can see. Cruel irony to the fact it's 222006 which was a 7 car set last week.
Couldn't agree more! We was on the 16.35 St Pan to Nott after Kettering. Full in std but very empty in first. All this reforming has done is worsened the ratio of 1st to std seats per train. A better idea would have been to keep the 7 cars as such but declassify one whole first class coach and on the 5 cars reduce the first class to 1/3 of one coach like the 222/1 were.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
A better idea would have been to keep the 7 cars as such but declassify one whole first class coach and on the 5 cars reduce the first class to 1/3 of one coach like the 222/1 were.
Isn't the objective to try and make the 4-car 222/1s less awkward to diagram? The only way to do that was to remove coaches from the 7-car units.

With 23 5-car 222s, the 4 180s and 4 7-car 222s, they can't be far off the future state with 33 810s but I guess 180 availability is poor and they aren't yet diagramming the units in the same way the 810s will be. (I note that a 5-car 810 will seat more passengers than a 5-car 222.)

QSK19

Isn't the objective to try and make the 4-car 222/1s less awkward to diagram? The only way to do that was to remove coaches from the 7-car units.

With 23 5-car 222s, the 4 180s and 4 7-car 222s, they can't be far off the future state with 33 810s but I guess 180 availability is poor and they aren't yet diagramming the units in the same way the 810s will be. (I note that a 5-car 810 will seat more passengers than a 5-car 222.)
It certainly is the objective - in order that the transition to 810s is as smooth as possible. I think it’s a case of short term pain for long term gain - the wild First-to-Standard ratio is the consequence; but, relatively speaking, there isn’t a long time to go until the 810s come in to service.

And I believe an 810 will have slightly less seats than a 7-car 222.

Mugby

Established Member
It certainly is the objective - in order that the transition to 810s is as smooth as possible. I think it’s a case of short term pain for long term gain - the wild First-to-Standard ratio is the consequence; but, relatively speaking, there isn’t a long time to go until the 810s come in to service.

And I believe an 810 will have slightly less seats than a 7-car 222.
Let's not forget the words which were trotted out when some eyebrows were raised at the 810s being ordered as 5-car sets:

"They will almost always run in pairs"

MCR247

Established Member
I wonder how long it’ll take them to realise they don’t have enough l

D365

Veteran Member
This is moving into speculative territory, but I’m hoping that MML electrification + electric intercity units will mitigate this…

liamf656

The simplest way for the extra 1st class coaches in the 4 coach units will simply permanently declassify it, with stickers saying "this seating is for standard class passengers". At least that gives the seat numbers a boost for 103+104.

Similar to one of the old HST sets (the 'original' EMR ones, not the ex-LNER ones) which had a 1st class coach inserted in the middle of standard class.
It looks as though this has happened as well in all of Coach C (the composite coach), and a portion of coach D, it then results in the standard/first ratio being as close as possible to the other 5 car units

Attachments

• 190C9706-88C8-414F-832E-43A2E170BA4A.jpeg
    190C9706-88C8-414F-832E-43A2E170BA4A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 324

On Moderation
It looks as though this has happened as well in all of Coach C (the composite coach), and a portion of coach D, it then results in the standard/first ratio being as close as possible to the other 5 car units
A hand written bit of paper? How unprofessional can they get?

QSK19

I think that’s already been realised, certainly amongst our community (and also discussed on WNXX) - the rumour mill has it that the 180s are staying a little longer to cover a shortfall in 810 stock.

I remember mentioning this elsewhere several days ago; but why can’t a few more be ordered if 33 isn’t enough?!

Established Member
This is moving into speculative territory, but I’m hoping that MML electrification + electric intercity units will mitigate this…

Given the structure of the timetable will be staying as it is (and that is perfectly sound so not a problem) I don't think it will make much difference. The electrics will save a minute or two here and there certainly not enough to free up extra units to provide more strengthening for instance.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The 7 car 222's have three whole first class coaches so I'm not surprised that an 810 will have more seats!
That is a fault of deciding not to re-seat one Motor First when the 8-cars (ex-9) were dropped to 7. They just took out another Motor Standard and didn't touch the First Class provision.

D365

Veteran Member
Given the structure of the timetable will be staying as it is (and that is perfectly sound so not a problem) I don't think it will make much difference. The electrics will save a minute or two here and there certainly not enough to free up extra units to provide more strengthening for instance.
To clarify: I mean a larger order of electric units to replace the Class 810s once electrification reaches South Yorkshire.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
To clarify: I mean a larger order of electric units to replace the Class 810s once electrification reaches South Yorkshire.
I presume the 810s are like the 800/802s, you can convert them to pure electrics or primarily electrics with rescue engine. You just remove the genset units.

Established Member
I presume the 810s are like the 800/802s, you can convert them to pure electrics or primarily electrics with rescue engine. You just remove the genset units.

The argument against pure electrics though is that the MML has lots of diversionary routes which come in useful on a pretty regular basis and are unlikely to be electrified any time soon. To lose that flexibility either by removing gensets or procuring new EMUs would be unhelpful.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
The argument against pure electrics though is that the MML has lots of diversionary routes which come in useful on a pretty regular basis and are unlikely to be electrified any time soon. To lose that flexibility either by removing gensets or procuring new EMUs would be unhelpful.
That's true, but my point was more that if switching to purely electric operation, it would make more sense to convert the 810s than simply replace them given I understand that is a feature of the 80x design.

BJames

Established Member
A hand written bit of paper? How unprofessional can they get?
This is unbelievable. I assume this "notice" is temporary until they can at least have something printed. I appreciate (and fully agree) that having half the train being first class is ridiculous. But how many people are going to enter a first class carriage in the first place to work out that half of it is being used as standard class? Are there external signs?

The 810s cannot come soon enough, EMR need to sort out this first/standard disparity and I know there's no ideal short term solution but just declassifying a few seats here does very little to relieve overcrowding.

On Moderation
This is unbelievable. I assume this "notice" is temporary until they can at least have something printed. I appreciate (and fully agree) that having half the train being first class is ridiculous. But how many people are going to enter a first class carriage in the first place to work out that half of it is being used as standard class? Are there external signs?

The 810s cannot come soon enough, EMR need to sort out this first/standard disparity and I know there's no ideal short term solution but just declassifying a few seats here does very little to relieve overcrowding.
It doesn’t take much to make the temporary signs look professional: 5 minutes with Word and a printer and it would be sorted.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
That’s possibly the most ridiculous and hilarious signage I’ve ever seen. EMR are an absolute joke.

QSK19

That’s possibly the most ridiculous and hilarious signage I’ve ever seen. EMR are an absolute joke.
Ah I could have done worse with my handwriting - or even better, get my 3 year old daughter to try to write it :lol:

But yes, as you say, it adds to the already thick dossier of why EMR aren’t fit to run the operation. Nothing will happen on that front, though, so let’s continue to enjoy naff handwritten signs!

Status
Not open for further replies.