• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

50P to use the toilets at Glasgow Queen Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Established Member
It was briefly free, nearby Network Rail-operated Glasgow Central is free but was soon trashed - hence the charge.

I've seen references to free entry on production of a valid rail ticket but maybe they got rid of that?
I recall them being free just after the Queen St refurb was finished.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I recall them being free just after the Queen St refurb was finished.
Yes, exactly. They were free immediately after the refurbishment was completed and for a period beyond. Then they were trashed (I believe a few times) and subsequently the charge went in.

Mikey C

Established Member
The toilets at Kings Cross and Paddington are both free and very well-maintained, and feel perfectly safe. Replicating whatever it is that they are doing successfully to other major stations would seem to be the solution here.

Edit : Liverpool Street is fine too.
All the London terminus station toilets I've used have been fine. No issues with vandalism or vagrants.

Egg Centric

Nothing to stop a person who may not count as conventionally disabled from buying a radar key so long as they are clear when buying it as to why and don't try to claim back VAT. This is within the scheme rules and almost as importantly the spirit of the scheme rules. Essentially so long as you may need a toilet more than normal people you're eligible. I have one because a drop of alcohol turns me into a wee wee machine (afaik not a recognised disability! But I was honest as to why) and recommend it.

Preferably buy it off one of these two sites (there is a strange bitchfest between the two I'm not in a position to comment on):

Halwynd

Nothing to stop a person who may not count as conventionally disabled from buying a radar key so long as they are clear when buying it as to why and don't try to claim back VAT. This is within the scheme rules and almost as importantly the spirit of the scheme rules. Essentially so long as you may need a toilet more than normal people you're eligible. I have one because a drop of alcohol turns me into a wee wee machine (afaik not a recognised disability! But I was honest as to why) and recommend it.

Preferably buy it off one of these two sites (there is a strange bitchfest between the two I'm not in a position to comment on):

I've had a Radar key for many years... since the time when they were more generally thought of as only for those with more obvious disabilities. It was my GP who recommended it because I suffer from a health condition which allows me to have one legitimately. Until he told me I didn't even realise I was eligible for one!

However, I've found that there's one quite significant problem with them and that is that most have locks which, even when locked from the inside, allow another user with a Radar key to override them and open the door from the outside - something I learned to my huge embarrassment shortly after using one for the first time.

It happened to me again at Manchester Victoria just a few months ago...luckily I was in a state that wasn't too embarrassing that time but even so, it isn't great and generally I now try hard to avoid using them. Instead I don't eat or drink for usually many hours when having to travel - which I suppose defeats a part of the purpose.

I don't know why this is, one suggestion I have read about suggests it is a design feature that allows someone access should the person inside be unable to open the door, another suggestion is that the locks are fitted incorrectly. The providers at some locations are aware of this, for example... my local Tesco has fitted its own facility with a secondary bolt lock which is great, but I've found that these are few and far between.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
I'm more than happy to pay if it means toilets feel safer and are clean. Many accept contactless payments now too.

I'm sure on a previous visit to Queen Street (2022 or earlier) before the charge was introduced, there was a sign that said toilets were for customers only.
I took that to mean there would be a scanner/reader for train tickets but it seems not to be the case.
During the construction phase the toilets were free in the car park . Now you pay to use the new build or use your initiative and use a standing train or Wethersoons across the road

1D54

During the construction phase the toilets were free in the car park . Now you pay to use the new build or use your initiative and use a standing train or Wethersoons across the road
Portakabins if i remember correctly. I'd rather wander down to Central than pay 10 bob!

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
The toilets at Kings Cross and Paddington are both free and very well-maintained, and feel perfectly safe. Replicating whatever it is that they are doing successfully to other major stations would seem to be the solution here.

So are Marylebone and London Bridge. Going from memory or lack of it, either Cannon Street or Blackfriars is too.

A week or so ago, those at West Ruislip were closed due to "inappropriate use." An argument for a 50p charge?

Butts

Veteran Member

Perhaps Scotrail should be asked the answer to the above question ?

Is GQS the only Station in Scotland where there is a charge to use the WC's ?

kkong

A few weeks ago, I boarded a train on the buffers at GLC to use the toilet (my train on the adjacent platform had both toilets out of service).

Immediately after I boarded, the train was shut down, so I couldn't open the doors to get off.

To make matters even worse, both toilets on this train were also out of service.

I managed to attract the attention of a passing driver, who let me off after a coupling/de-coupling manoeuvre had been completed.

Howardh

Established Member
I have long thought it an issue that toilets aren't always free, but especially for those with medical or other situations that mean you need the toilet more. Some may be obvious e.g. pregnancy, but others less so such as anxiety disorders. How can we ensure people are not left in a difficult position due to their health? Free for all seems the only fair policy in my opinion.
Enlarged postrate/postrate cancer. Totally hidden but the person requires to use the toilet far more frequently than a healthy one. That's why I'm annoyed that new lines, such as the Elizabeth, are toilet-less.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I've never thought that when using them

Quite amazing to me that people think the following features are acceptable:
  • Broken doors that don't fit the frames and lock properly
  • Normally several cubicles out of use
  • Several of the taps hanging off the wall
  • Poor ventilation
  • Faulty dryers
  • A liberal covering of dirt
They are unpleasant. Not the worst, but not acceptable either.

Falcon1200

Established Member
One the reasons for, in the past, charging for the toilets at Glasgow Central was to discourage use of the cubicles by drug addicts; Despite that, tragically, every now and again one would pass away there. I am unsure whether that is still an issue since charging stopped, however there is an attendant at Central; Is there one at the Queen Street toilets?

There is also the issue that making station toilets free encourages use by non-rail users, however that is IMHO a price worth paying for the benefit of having free facilities at a major station such as Central.

One the reasons for, in the past, charging for the toilets at Glasgow Central was to discourage use of the cubicles by drug addicts; Despite that, tragically, every now and again one would pass away there. I am unsure whether that is still an issue since charging stopped, however there is an attendant at Central; Is there one at the Queen Street toilets?

There is also the issue that making station toilets free encourages use by non-rail users, however that is IMHO a price worth paying for the benefit of having free facilities at a major station such as Central.

Central Station has seen a fairly dramatic rise in anti social behaviour in the toilets in the last few years, there is a fairly large drug user problem at the gordon street entrance coupled with the Rennie Macintosh hotel being used to house the homeless

dk1

Veteran Member
Central Station has seen a fairly dramatic rise in anti social behaviour in the toilets in the last few years, there is a fairly large drug user problem at the gordon street entrance coupled with the Rennie Macintosh hotel being used to house the homeless

Oh that sounds grim. Such a shame places end up like this.

jon0844

Veteran Member
All the London terminus station toilets I've used have been fine. No issues with vandalism or vagrants.

There can be a few odd characters in them, but I think the most important thing is that they're staffed. If staff are regularly patrolling and cleaning, it will be a far nicer (and safer) environment.

However, I've found that there's one quite significant problem with them and that is that most have locks which, even when locked from the inside, allow another user with a Radar key to override them and open the door from the outside - something I learned to my huge embarrassment shortly after using one for the first time.

That should not be possible. Like many locks, you can often override them by using the other side of the key (or a coin) to turn the lock further up (not sure what this part is called) and I wonder if that's how someone else opened it? The Radar key should simply not turn if it is locked from the inside.

I used them a few days ago and remember them as being a bit whiffy, but not too grim. The main problem I had was locating them; I didn't find the signage very helpful.

While not exactly a huge station, they have done well to put the male toilets as far away from the platforms as possible! If not patrolled regularly, I can see why they might get into quite a state.

Last edited:

Lucan

Established Member
is it legal to charge able bodied and not disabled people to use a WC - surely that is also discrimination ?
It is discrimination, but not necessarily illegal discrimination . No-one dares to complain about it anyway. I have never understood why disabled people get certain things free or discounted - disablity and wealth are orthogonal characteristics. In fact all the people I know who claim disability benefits are well-to-do pensioners - the latter category are also usually assumed to be poor for some reason.

Halwynd

That should not be possible. Like many locks, you can often override them by using the other side of the key (or a coin) to turn the lock further up (not sure what this part is called) and I wonder if that's how someone else opened it? The Radar key should simply not turn if it is locked from the inside.

Thanks for that information. I'm really not sure how it happened to me, but as you say they can be overidden from the outside which in my case has resulted in a loss of confidence in them. There was a thread on the MSE Forum a while ago that I found when looking into it:

The RADAR lock has been around for almost 30 years. By modern standards, it is not very sophisticated and this is both an advantage and a source of criticism. The lock is designed for access and privacy. When fitted correctly, the outside indicator turns red to show that the loo is occupied. When the user pushes the handle on the inside upwards, entry is impossible for anyone else, even if they have a key. Where access is needed, for example in a medical emergency, and the door is locked in this way, a flat headed screwdriver or a penny coin can be inserted into the outside plate and turned to open the lock. This provides a good balance between privacy and safety, in the rare event that someone should need help, for example as a result of a fall or a seizure. If the lock is fitted incorrectly then, yes, the door can be opened by another keyholder, as the lock is not engaged. This could have happened because a right hand set has been fitted to a left hand door or vice versa....

QueensCurve

Established Member
....and how would you propose to measure that ? o_O
I am sure that they Japanese would have something for it.

In interlaken, Switzerland, a few years ago a cafe near the level crossing over the railway had a Japanese toilet with a self-cleaning seat. I split my sides with laugher when it came into action during the flush!

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
Quite amazing to me that people think the following features are acceptable:
  • Broken doors that don't fit the frames and lock properly
  • Normally several cubicles out of use
  • Several of the taps hanging off the wall
  • Poor ventilation
  • Faulty dryers
  • A liberal covering of dirt
They are unpleasant. Not the worst, but not acceptable either.
I've never noticed taps hanging off the wall and I don't believe I could have overlooked them if they were. I've also never found several cubicles out of use or that the doors didn't fit. I've never had a problem drying my hands there. You must be extraordinarily unlucky if you encounter all these issues every time you use the facilities at Marylebone.

. . . The main problem I had was locating them; I didn't find the signage very helpful.
I've been asked where they were more than once.

alxndr

Established Member
It is discrimination, but not necessarily illegal discrimination . No-one dares to complain about it anyway. I have never understood why disabled people get certain things free or discounted - disablity and wealth are orthogonal characteristics. In fact all the people I know who claim disability benefits are well-to-do pensioners - the latter category are also usually assumed to be poor for some reason.
On the other hand, the majority of disabled people I know are not well-off. Statistics show that those with disabilities have harder time finding and holding employment. Plus disabilities can often make life more expensive, whether that's through needing additional support or equipment, not being able to prepare as much food from scratch, or increased travel costs, hence the reason for PIP existing.

Mikey C

Established Member
I've never noticed taps hanging off the wall and I don't believe I could have overlooked them if they were. I've also never found several cubicles out of use or that the doors didn't fit. I've never had a problem drying my hands there. You must be extraordinarily unlucky if you encounter all these issues every time you use the facilities at Marylebone.
Ditto. I last used them last Tuesday.

I would agree that they are curiously located, it's unusual for the ladies and gents to be so far from each other.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
I don't know who's ridiculously stupid and ill thought out idea making network Rail managed facilities free of charge was but it needs reversing and now. I will now not use facilities on their stations and very much doubt I'm alone as they are either full of interesting characters at worst or at best trashed and not very clean, I had no trouble with a payable charge to use them and would even suggest that a pound would be appropriate for the sake of a clean and well-managed environment that is regularly monitored and refurbished every five or so years,

Both cash and contactless should be accepted and change offered, but as I've said the different in quality is huge and btp should not be spending their days monitoring going on in station toilets

Halwynd

I don't know who's ridiculously stupid and ill thought out idea making network Rail managed facilities free of charge was but it needs reversing and now. I will now not use facilities on their stations and very much doubt I'm alone as they are either full of interesting characters at worst or at best trashed and not very clean, I had no trouble with a payable charge to use them and would even suggest that a pound would be appropriate for the sake of a clean and well-managed environment that is regularly monitored and refurbished every five or so years,

Both cash and contactless should be accepted and change offered, but as I've said the different in quality is huge and btp should not be spending their days monitoring going on in station toilets

In an ideal world public toilets of a decent standard and cleanliness should be provided without charge, and those who use them should treat them with respect for others - sadly society is no longer like that, so I agree... the large station facilities should be chargeable.

A pound is perhaps too strong, 40p seems right to me - particularly as 10p and 20p pieces seem to be the most common coinage of less than a quid. The last time I attempted to use the gents at Manchester Piccadilly I carried out an immediate U-turn when I saw the state, the queue and the clientele inside - utterly disgusting.

johnnychips

Established Member
In an ideal world public toilets of a decent standard and cleanliness should be provided without charge, and those who use them should treat them with respect for others - sadly society is no longer like that, so I agree... the large station facilities should be chargeable.

A pound is perhaps too strong, 40p seems right to me - particularly as 10p and 20p pieces seem to be the most common coinage of less than a quid. The last time I attempted to use the gents at Manchester Piccadilly I carried out an immediate U-turn when I saw the state, the queue and the clientele inside - utterly disgusting.
It is strange how experiences vary so much. I have used the toilets at Piccadilly frequently and never noticed a problem.

I just got off the train at Luttre, which is a large Belgian village with a bus to Charleroi Airport. I was pleasantly surprised that it had a toilet. It was clean but had UV lights, so it looks like drugs are a problem everywhere, even rural Belgium.

Status
Not open for further replies.