• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

50P to use the toilets at Glasgow Queen Street

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
I can't be the only person that's popped into The Counting House, partly in protest at this.

And of course, it would be rude to just pop in and use the bog, wouldn't it!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

1D54

A pound is perhaps too strong, 40p seems right to me - particularly as 10p and 20p pieces seem to be the most common coinage of less than a quid. The last time I attempted to use the gents at Manchester Piccadilly I carried out an immediate U-turn when I saw the state, the queue and the clientele inside - utterly disgusting.
Manchester Piccadilly used to charge 40p and there was major uproar about it so there doesn't seem to be any middle ground which would make everyone happy. Charging but letting people pay by say credit card has to be a problem as when the bank charges are taken off it is hardly worth it.

Halwynd

Manchester Piccadilly used to charge 40p and there was major uproar about it so there doesn't seem to be any middle ground which would make everyone happy. Charging but letting people pay by say credit card has to be a problem as when the bank charges are taken off it is hardly worth it.

20p? :lol:

You're right of course, can't keep everyone happy!

CyrusWuff

Established Member
I would agree that they are curiously located, it's unusual for the ladies and gents to be so far from each other.
The Ladies and Gents were previously co-located where the Ladies are now, but split out because that was causing issues due to growing passenger numbers. The new Gents is in probably the least worst location given the need for plumbing and drainage, whilst not affecting the retail units on the concourse.

1D54

20p? :lol:

You're right of course, can't keep everyone happy!
I'm often getting caught short and on one occasion had no choice but to pay 40p. I could be mistaken on Man Picc but it was definitely one of the big northern stations. Could have been Leeds.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It is discrimination, but not necessarily illegal discrimination . No-one dares to complain about it anyway. I have never understood why disabled people get certain things free or discounted - disablity and wealth are orthogonal characteristics. In fact all the people I know who claim disability benefits are well-to-do pensioners - the latter category are also usually assumed to be poor for some reason.

I have never really understood why requiring a hearing aid entitles one to a Disabled Railcard, but I don't resent e.g. wheelchair users getting free parking or cheaper train fares, they have after all drawn a very bad card in life so even if they don't need those things it does go a bit towards redressing the balance of their bad luck. In the end I'd far rather have use of my legs than cheaper train fares.

Halwynd

I'm often getting caught short and on one occasion had no choice but to pay 40p. I could be mistaken on Man Picc but it was definitely one of the big northern stations. Could have been Leeds.

No, you're right... I seem to recall Piccadilly being 40p too.

Perhaps another option would be to allow access with a valid rail ticket (including offering a chargeable 'toilet' ticket for those not travelling) but no doubt that would be a whole new can of worms! :D

alxndr

Established Member
Perhaps another option would be to allow access with a valid rail ticket (including offering a chargeable 'toilet' ticket for those not travelling) but no doubt that would be a whole new can of worms! :D
Possession of a ticket doesn't guarantee you're going to treat them with respect either. Some toilets on trains are trashed and the toilets at Clapham Junction (behind barriers) are the only toilets I've found to push the boundary of what I'll make do with.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
I have never really understood why requiring a hearing aid entitles one to a Disabled Railcard, but I don't resent e.g. wheelchair users getting free parking or cheaper train fares, they have after all drawn a very bad card in life so even if they don't need those things it does go a bit towards redressing the balance of their bad luck. In the end I'd far rather have use of my legs than cheaper train fares.
That suggests that you know nothing about the problems caused by being deaf and requiring aids!
Even with an aid life can be very difficult, as I know with increasingly failing hearing.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That suggests that you know nothing about the problems caused by being deaf and requiring aids!

I know my father has one (and the Railcard) and it isn't any issue for him at all, it's just the ear version of wearing glasses to him and only in one ear. Perhaps there should be some sort of threshold rather than all hearing aid users.

AM9

Veteran Member
I know my father has one (and the Railcard) and it isn't any issue for him at all, it's just the ear version of wearing glasses to him and only in one ear. Perhaps there should be some sort of threshold rather than all hearing aid users.
An example of one doesn't make it relevant for all.

BJames

Established Member
Quite amazing to me that people think the following features are acceptable:
  • Broken doors that don't fit the frames and lock properly
  • Normally several cubicles out of use
  • Several of the taps hanging off the wall
  • Poor ventilation
  • Faulty dryers
  • A liberal covering of dirt
They are unpleasant. Not the worst, but not acceptable either.
Could not have put it better. Liverpool Street has almost all of these issues.
To be fair I have found there to be far more ASB in station toilets since they became free. Charing Cross in particular is disgusting, they genuinely feel unsafe. I'm therefore OK with paying, but a card option does need to be offered, or a means of using a rail ticket for entry.
I agree - I was generally against paying while they were chargeable but unless they can all be maintained to the standard of Kings Cross then I'd be ok with paying a (small!) fee.
The toilets at Kings Cross and Paddington are both free and very well-maintained, and feel perfectly safe. Replicating whatever it is that they are doing successfully to other major stations would seem to be the solution here.

Edit : Liverpool Street is fine too.
Kings Cross is great, never have any problems there.

However I can't agree on Liverpool Street - they are slightly better now but only because all the taps and soap dispensers now actually work. Most cubicles have burn marks on the toilet roll dispensers which are hanging off the walls in about a third of the cubicles, there's generally at least 3-5 urinals taped off because the dividers are falling off and actually blocking the urinal, there are constantly large amounts of rubbish left behind and until a few weeks ago 3 cubicles had the doors hanging off. Oh, and they smell of cigarette smoke and body odour - all of the time. The only thing that counts in their favour is the fact that none of the actual door locks are broken.

Network Rail agree - I wrote in to ask what was being done about the state of the toilets, and their response was that they were aware of the state of them:

We have the station on our list of repairs, and have been waiting for parts to fix the soap dispensers, hand dryer, urinals and cubicle doors. The Network Rail station manager, maintenance, and cleaning teams, are all aware of the issues and we are working hard to rectify all of these, as soon as possible. Our cleaning teams undertake hourly checks of the facilities, and any issues they find are raised and addressed accordingly. Maintenance issues may take a little longer to sort, as replacement parts may need to be ordered/be fitted.

We are aware of the ongoing anti-social behaviours at the station, and we are working alongside the British Transport Police, and local charities, to provide additional help and services to those who may need it. If required, further action is being taken by the British Transport Police. We do appreciate this affects the quality of the customer experience, but, we are doing everything we can to improve the travelling experience of all who use the station, and the facilities, within it.
Just to add I don't feel unsafe in the Liverpool Street toilets but they are not pleasant.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
No they're not doing everything they can. Stick the turn styles back in and put the charge up to a quid. I know it sounds a lot in the middle of a cost of living emergency but it really would make a meaningful difference to the number of people that abuse the facilities and contribute towards the staff costs of keeping them really properly clean and well looked after and refurbished regularly. No one is going to bunch me from this opinion.

duffield

Established Member
Ditto. I last used them last Tuesday.

I would agree that they are curiously located, it's unusual for the ladies and gents to be so far from each other.
Yes, I think that's what threw me, I kept going back and looking near the ladies assuming they must be pretty close.

But they seemed in reasonable physical order when I found them (nothing obvious missing or broken, floor not swimming etc.). Maybe my standards are lower than average. :)

davews

Possession of a ticket doesn't guarantee you're going to treat them with respect either. Some toilets on trains are trashed and the toilets at Clapham Junction (behind barriers) are the only toilets I've found to push the boundary of what I'll make do with.
You will be pleased to know that those lovely toilets at Clapham Junction are currently being refurbished..... that will probably take even longer than the Waterloo ones supposed to have been finished in August.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
I don't know who's ridiculously stupid and ill thought out idea making network Rail managed facilities free of charge was but it needs reversing and now. I will now not use facilities on their stations and very much doubt I'm alone as they are either full of interesting characters at worst or at best trashed and not very clean, I had no trouble with a payable charge to use them and would even suggest that a pound would be appropriate for the sake of a clean and well-managed environment that is regularly monitored and refurbished every five or so years,

Both cash and contactless should be accepted and change offered, but as I've said the different in quality is huge and btp should not be spending their days monitoring going on in station toilets

In an ideal world public toilets of a decent standard and cleanliness should be provided without charge, and those who use them should treat them with respect for others - sadly society is no longer like that, so I agree... the large station facilities should be chargeable.

A pound is perhaps too strong, 40p seems right to me - particularly as 10p and 20p pieces seem to be the most common coinage of less than a quid. The last time I attempted to use the gents at Manchester Piccadilly I carried out an immediate U-turn when I saw the state, the queue and the clientele inside - utterly disgusting.
Car service stations have free toilets. Why travelby train and have to pay? Service stations are free for all but despite getting hugely busy at times I've found them all to be well maintained and clean.
As a deaf hearing aid user, neither have I, but I'm not complaining about it Indeed, I think hearing is overrated. I don't have to listen to endless "see it, say it, sort it" messages. I don't have to listen to other people's music. Frankly, you can keep your hearing! Although I do miss the odd important announcement too. I've found myself sitting on an empty cancelled train more than once! I don't know what the answer to that is, but probably not cheaper travel Padding have a BSL information screen, but once on the train you're left to your devices!
I get a free bus pass for the same reason.
But, the point I make is this, I get free bus travel and discount rail travel. But I bought a car. What does that tell you about the bus & rail services?

Mikey C

Established Member
No they're not doing everything they can. Stick the turn styles back in and put the charge up to a quid. I know it sounds a lot in the middle of a cost of living emergency but it really would make a meaningful difference to the number of people that abuse the facilities and contribute towards the staff costs of keeping them really properly clean and well looked after and refurbished regularly. No one is going to bunch me from this opinion.
Massively disagree. Charge a quid, and you'll end up with men urinating around the corner.

Yes they're not perfect, but most railway toilets are good enough, and bringing back charging would be very unpopular.

childwallblues

Established Member
In Australia, paying for public toilets is unknown. Towns install them to attract more tourists. I have never come across one operated by a franchise or contractor.

In Germany once, I was very uncomfortable when I had the wrong coins at a station.

Generally. European cities and towns seem to believe one has to patronise a bar to go to the loo. I am in Italy and have yet to see a public toilet away from a station.

Some European stations charge a Euro to use the facilities. They appear to have been privatised.
You have to pay at Hamburg Harburg.

TheSeeker

Here in Brussels you generally have to pay madame pipi in the bigger stations. Always a good idea to carry some cash. Buy a beer somewhere and use their toilets (although that possibly causes a self repeating problem). My local cafe charges 1 euro if you want to use the loo. Interestingly old churches often have urinals outside.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

This is the business model behind the German/Swiss McClean/WC-Center concept. Typically the charge is between 1-2 Euro, but there's a member of staff there the whole time cleaning every cubicle after each use and looking out for antisocial behaviour. I can see the benefit, though as others say some might not pay and it might result in a public urination issue.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
You will be pleased to know that those lovely toilets at Clapham Junction are currently being refurbished..... that will probably take even longer than the Waterloo ones supposed to have been finished in August.
This is indeed very pleasing news. Anyone know why the ones that Waterloo are taking such an eternity
And why they were scheduled to take such a long time in the first place? Shopping centers etc seem to manage toilet refurbishments in about six weeks

Mikey C

Established Member
Waterloo also has the new ones in the former Eurostar shopping area.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
This is the business model behind the German/Swiss McClean/WC-Center concept. Typically the charge is between 1-2 Euro, but there's a member of staff there the whole time cleaning every cubicle after each use and looking out for antisocial behaviour. I can see the benefit, though as others say some might not pay and it might result in a public urination issue.
For which you simply issue a 500 pound on the spot fine if caught by a security guard police officer or even on camera, that way people will only clean the pavement once as the previously overpriced station facilities will look like flying on Ryanair

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
For which you simply issue a 500 pound on the spot fine if caught by a security guard police officer or even on camera, that way people will only clean the pavement once as the previously overpriced station facilities will look like flying on Ryanair

Given that police are presently not doing anything about shoplifting under £200, thus making it effectively legal, I doubt they would be bothered enforcing anything on anyone who took a quick "Jimmy Riddle" down the side of Marylebone station. And if they aren't standing on railway property, the railway can't themselves do anything.

There will also be people who wait until they board the train, meaning the cost of emptying tanks more frequently (and formerly the reason why stations tended to stink of urine and faeces, as people would just use a waiting train).

jon0844

Veteran Member
Car service stations have free toilets. Why travelby train and have to pay? Service stations are free for all but despite getting hugely busy at times I've found them all to be well maintained and clean.

I'm going to assume that as most people are going to arrive by car, there's less likelihood of homeless people or drug addicts wandering in to a service station toilet that can, and clearly do, go into railway station toilets. I suppose you have coaches that stop off too, and maybe there could be someone with a drug problem, but overall service stations are fairly controlled environments because most aren't (easily) accessible from nearby towns, villages etc.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'm going to assume that as most people are going to arrive by car, there's less likelihood of homeless people or drug addicts wandering in to a service station toilet that can, and clearly do, go into railway station toilets. I suppose you have coaches that stop off too, and maybe there could be someone with a drug problem, but overall service stations are fairly controlled environments because most aren't (easily) accessible from nearby towns, villages etc.

And where they are they're near quaint little villages and not in town centres due to the high cost of land there.

Though I must admit I think some of their toilets are well below par and I would pay 50p for them to be nicer, e.g. properly ventilated (why on earth is this hard?), and for them to stop using the useless single ply toilet roll in favour of something better. At least the railways don't use that, and there's always the free bidet service at Euston.

75A

Established Member
Question, why are the toilets in Motorway Service Stations so far away from the entrance?, meaning you have to force your way through the masses milling around aimlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.