• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

RailwayRookie

No problemo!

I recall my rule books hadn’t been delivered for some reason so I had to go through my first week without them. Not ideal by any stretch of the imagination.

Best of luck!
There is also a digital version of the rule book available to members of the RSSB (free to sign up) I resorted to using that for the latter part of the course as its definitely the most up to date and allows you to easily search topics.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scot09

Does anyone who is starting signaller training in Glasgow in May know what hotel NWR use?

Fennel

Thank you and you!
Just had this response came back today. Spoke to them and they said i am bit far from the depot. I asked what is the maximum commute time he said don’t know. Its upto the manager . Would make sense if they can advertise this too with the job.

Attachments

• IMG_1585.png
    IMG_1585.png
    269.5 KB · Views: 101

wenguin

Just had this response came back today. Spoke to them and they said i am bit far from the depot. I asked what is the maximum commute time he said don’t know. Its upto the manager . Would make sense if they can advertise this too with the job.
When I applied it stated had to be within 1hr commute of the area

bouff34

Resident signallers get
+10% for hours between 22:00 & 06:00
+50% for any hours worked on a Sunday
+25% for any rest day worked

Relief signallers who cover more than one signalbox , or more than one workstation / panel at a multi staffed location will get a Flex Premium which is 4%,18%,24% or 32% of the base salary for the grade that they are a relief as well as the above enhancements . The percentage is based upon the mileage from the home location(box) to the furthest box that they cover , with 10% being a single location relief at a powerbox / ROC .
Sunday is 150% not 50% as the whole day is outside the week.

Fennel

When I applied it stated had to be within 1hr commute of the area
You are right, just checked their advert and does say commute under 60 minutes and mine was coming to around 50 minutes. Not sure what seems to be the problem.

Attachments

• IMG_1590.png
    IMG_1590.png
    268.7 KB · Views: 23

Fennel

Recently applied and was told i am far from the location ,but advert says commute should be under 60 minutes and mine is coming to 50 minutes. Anyone in similar situation and wasn’t shortlisted for this reason.

Attachments

• IMG_1590.png
    IMG_1590.png
    268.7 KB · Views: 22

wenguin

Recently applied and was told i am far from the location ,but advert says commute should be under 60 minutes and mine is coming to 50 minutes. Anyone in similar situation and wasn’t shortlisted for this reason.
Bit odd as I'm.about a 50 min commute to scunthorpe area and got in. Maybe depends where the signal box is in the area that may tip you over the commute edge

Ducatist4

Also depends on what you use to calculate your journey time and also the time of day when you might be doing it. Signaller vacancies are heavily over subscribed so they can afford to be choosey.

Its also worth noting that the recruitment teams do monitor these forums.

wenguin

Also depends on what you use to calculate your journey time and also the time of day when you might be doing it. Signaller vacancies are heavily over subscribed so they can afford to be choosey.

Its also worth noting that the recruitment teams do monitor these forums.
Yer I did my check in rush hour on my live truck nav so really be bit quicker in a car as my truck nav is speed limited to max 56 miles an hour even on motorway.

CoachB

Think they use Google maps to check the travel time between your postcode and the box postcode. With Google maps you can change the time of day to see what the estimated travel times are for that time, so it's possible during busy periods you fall outside the required 60 minutes

Fennel

Think they use Google maps to check the travel time between your postcode and the box postcode. With Google maps you can change the time of day to see what the estimated travel times are for that time, so it's possible during busy periods you fall outside the required 60 minutes
I guess i do. Thanks.

Footieboab

Does anyone who is starting signaller training in Glasgow in May know what hotel NWR use?
I’m on IST just now. We are using the Maldron hotel.

Anyone any heads up for the week 9 final written test of how far back I should be studying. Someone in class today was saying that she was told it’s not as hard as week 5s written.

Last edited:

hstmatt

Received an email saying I was unsuccessful at interview however I can apply again in future as my results are valid for 6 months.

I’ve logged back into the website to apply for a different box however I’m getting sent back to my unsuccessful application page which is still saying “Thank you for attending our Assessment Centre. We will be in touch soon with an update”. It’s still showing at stage 3 ‘Assessment Centre’ rather than 4 ‘Outcome’.

Is there a way to apply for different roles or do I need to request that they reset my account?

dave112

Received an email saying I was unsuccessful at interview however I can apply again in future as my results are valid for 6 months.

I’ve logged back into the website to apply for a different box however I’m getting sent back to my unsuccessful application page which is still saying “Thank you for attending our Assessment Centre. We will be in touch soon with an update”. It’s still showing at stage 3 ‘Assessment Centre’ rather than 4 ‘Outcome’.

Is there a way to apply for different roles or do I need to request that they reset my account?

you will have to ask to have it reset but when you re apply all of your written answers will still be in the new application.

So, a resident Signaller will receive their standard shift rate plus the above enhancement rate on top per shift.
There is no standard Sunday shift, any hours worked on a Sunday are outside your contracted hours so are paid at time and a half, 150%.
There are flip sides to this arrangement, such with the ways annual leave work getting rostered Sundays off work can be tricky.

Mgees

Hey just a hypothetical,

I’ve made it to the final stages of an application for a signalling role. I’ve passed the interview and I’m just waiting on a final decision (was informed there are some more internal interviews to do before they’ll know if I’ve secured an offer) unfortunately, my circumstances at home have changed drastically and I’ll need to care for a sick relative…

so my question is if you have to withdraw your application for personal reasons does it count against you in the future if you were to reapply? Like would I get a “do not rehire” or something similar?

Any advice/input would be appreciated!

Open_G

I’m on IST just now. We are using the Maldron hotel.

Anyone any heads up for the week 9 final written test of how far back I should be studying. Someone in class today was saying that she was told it’s not as hard as week 5s written.
It will cover the first half as well but will be weighted heavily towards the later stuff. There are various papers I think but I found the 2nd paper tougher.

Fennel

Has anyone tried moving to a location where job is advertised and than apply but previously applied from a different location. Would it work? I have a brother who lives in coventry and there is job in Rugby,so thinking of moving there atleast i will be within commutable time. Thanks

Signaller2020

Good afternoon all,

Does anybody know what shift pattern the G9 desks work at Didcot?

And what are the break arrangements on those panels?

Thanks

nom de guerre

Has anyone tried moving to a location where job is advertised and than apply but previously applied from a different location. Would it work? I have a brother who lives in coventry and there is job in Rugby,so thinking of moving there atleast i will be within commutable time. Thanks

TBH I thought it was fairly standard railway recruitment game theory nowadays for applicants to have a roster of friends’/relatives’/distant contacts’ addresses to ‘borrow’ as required. I’ve certainly done it in the past.

Whether you actually move or not is a separate discussion.

I’ve never heard of an applicant being asked to provide proof of residency, but if you’re staying in a relative’s spare room your name won’t be on any utility bills, will it?

Fennel

TBH I thought it was fairly standard railway recruitment game theory nowadays for applicants to have a roster of friends’/relatives’/distant contacts’ addresses to ‘borrow’ as required. I’ve certainly done it in the past.

Whether you actually move or not is a separate discussion.

I’ve never heard of an applicant being asked to provide proof of residency, but if you’re staying in a relative’s spare room your name won’t be on any utility bills, will it?
It will.