• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Ducatist4

I've found numerous threads (admittedly from drivers rather than signallers) where they have been required to provide proof of their address before contracts will be signed. There are also some threads where the suggestion is made that if after you have started work and you turn out not to be living where you have told them (in order to circumvent the travel time requirement) it would be considered gross misconduct and you'd be dismissed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Fennel

Y
I've found numerous threads (admittedly from drivers rather than signallers) where they have been required to provide proof of their address before contracts will be signed. There are also some threads where the suggestion is made that if after you have started work and you turn out not to be living where you have told them (in order to circumvent the travel time requirement) it would be considered gross misconduct and you'd be dismissed.
make sense, i will be living there. I am ex Army,so use to be living away from
Family on regular basis. Thank you. While on this, do we get some sort of discount on trains?

Zowie

Rugby advertised grade 8 and grade 3 signallers, my question is - is it even worth it to apply for grade 8 without any rail experience? Application says that if unsuccessful I could be still considered for lower grades. With that in mind should I apply for both grades at the same time?
Also does anyone know what shifts Rugby does?

Frothy_B

Rugby advertised grade 8 and grade 3 signallers, my question is - is it even worth it to apply for grade 8 without any rail experience? Application says that if unsuccessful I could be still considered for lower grades. With that in mind should I apply for both grades at the same time?
None of the people who went to Rugby from my course had any previous experience with signalling and only one had any sort of railway background.

The grade 3s would be for the ROC I assume and the grade 8s the SCC. Is the advert for both together or are they separate listings? Can't hurt to apply either way.

To my knowledge both sites do 12 hour shifts, although I'm guessing the G3 is a new panel at the ROC so may be different.

Signaller2020

I have applied for the G9 position at TVSC, I also want to apply for the G7 and G8 but when I log in to the candidate portal to do so it just brings up my G9 application with no option to apply for another.

Has anybody else had this?

bouff34

So, a resident Signaller will receive their standard shift rate plus the above enhancement rate on top per shift.
No. You have two rostered Sundays but they are counted as overtime. So you either elect not to work it and you get no pay (and someone else will jump at doing t instead) or you work it (which most do ) and get paid 1.5 times your basic hourly rate.

You work a 35hour week - whatever shift pattern you are on will average this across however many weeks your roster rotates over - so some weeks you might work more hours whereas others you work less. The Sundays are not included within the basic 35hrs so are completely extra. For a Grade 3 signaller this will be approx £350 per 12hr Sunday so if you have two per four weeks you are adding £700 guaranteed overtime (gross) to your take home pay. Obviously that is dependent on your box hours so if it is shut on a Sunday then you'll get nothing!

Fennel

Rugby position has been removed.

Zowie

Rugby position has been removed

I believe it was closing yesterday at 23:59, I only applied for grade 8 and waiting to hear back from them. I am assuming it will probably take weeks, I have also made couple of mistakes on my online assesment. My only hope is that my current role ticks every single box of transferable skills

dave112

I have applied for the G9 position at TVSC, I also want to apply for the G7 and G8 but when I log in to the candidate portal to do so it just brings up my G9 application with no option to apply for another.

Has anybody else had this?
I asked this question and was told you csnt apply for all 3 but in my case of I applied for g9 was told if I wasn't successful for that they would consider me for g7 and g8 role.

DMckduck97

Really bizarre recruitment process or what.

Passed everything but was unavailable for interview on the 1 date and hour slot they offered me.

The role had been re-advertised and I switched my location to it (not sure why this was necessary) same grade and location.

Have now been given on the website what seems to me like extremely generic feedback.

Wasn't the most inspiring process but guess I will just have to apply for it again?

Last edited:

Zowie

Passed everything in January but was unavailable for interview on the 1 date and hour slot they offered me.

The role has been re-advertised and I switched my location to it (not sure why this was necessary) same grade and location.

Have now been given on the website what seems to me like extremely generic feedback.

Wasn't the most inspiring process but guess I will just have to apply for it again?
How long did you have from contacting you to the day of interview?

fatlad68

Good afternoon all,

Does anybody know what shift pattern the G9 desks work at Didcot?

And what are the break arrangements on those panels?

Thanks
There are 3 links with grade 9 desks in TVSC, each link has its own roster pattern and differing break arrangements. Very roughly you do 3 12 hr shifts a week of days or nights and a couple of Sundays a month if you want them. Normally 3 breaks a shift of around 3 hours in total, dependant on staffing levels.

Scot09

I’m on IST just now. We are using the Maldron hotel.

Anyone any heads up for the week 9 final written test of how far back I should be studying. Someone in class today was saying that she was told it’s not as hard as week 5s written.
Thanks. How are you finding IST?

Foyboy93

Hi all, just a quick question. I’ve accepted a role as a grade 2 trainee signaller. From my reading on this forum I understand that I won’t be assigned a box until after my training has finished and I will have to apply for boxes if I’m correct? This being said am I only permitted to apply to grade 2 boxes, or will the training allow for me to also apply for grade 3 boxes as well?

Frothy_B

Hi all, just a quick question. I’ve accepted a role as a grade 2 trainee signaller. From my reading on this forum I understand that I won’t be assigned a box until after my training has finished and I will have to apply for boxes if I’m correct? This being said am I only permitted to apply to grade 2 boxes, or will the training allow for me to also apply for grade 3 boxes as well?
I dont believe there is a limit on the grade of box you can apply for. Depending on your area, its entirely possible there could only be higher grade jobs available.

The Grade 2, from my understanding, is to simply level the playing field in terms of trainee pay, as you used to have courses where people were being paid separate rates despite doing the same thing for 10 weeks. So now everyone is a Grade 2 for IST, then when you get to a box you will be paid 1 grade below the boxes grade untill you pass your panel assessment(s) and rules.

Zowie

I dont believe there is a limit on the grade of box you can apply for. Depending on your area, its entirely possible there could only be higher grade jobs available.

The Grade 2, from my understanding, is to simply level the playing field in terms of trainee pay, as you used to have courses where people were being paid separate rates despite doing the same thing for 10 weeks. So now everyone is a Grade 2 for IST, then when you get to a box you will be paid 1 grade below the boxes grade untill you pass your panel assessment(s) and rules.
Is that only the case if you apply for trainee? If someone applies for specific grade 6 for example this could not be available once they finish their IST?

Foyboy93

Thanks for clearing that up for me, much appreciated :)

Frothy_B

Is that only the case if you apply for trainee? If someone applies for specific grade 6 for example this could not be available once they finish their IST?
Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than myself can come and clarify that for you. I haven't looked at external jobs since they switched to Ambertrack, I was under the impression that all external jobs were going to be Grade 2 Trainee roles moving forward.

Having just had a look, I can see that there are still specific box/grade roles advertised, so If you've applied for a Grade 6 role, that is what you will be going into. I know there are regional variances in the recruitment process, so maybe some some boxes/areas haven't moved to the "Trainees are Grade 2" method yet.

The Puddock

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than myself can come and clarify that for you. I haven't looked at external jobs since they switched to Ambertrack, I was under the impression that all external jobs were going to be Grade 2 Trainee roles moving forward.

Having just had a look, I can see that there are still specific box/grade roles advertised, so If you've applied for a Grade 6 role, that is what you will be going into. I know there are regional variances in the recruitment process, so maybe some some boxes/areas haven't moved to the "Trainees are Grade 2" method yet.

Here is what the company Q&A document has to say about the new recruitment and training pay arrangements:

Q What will I be graded as when I am at Initial Signaller Training (IST)?
During IST the training salary will be at grade 2.

Q What will happen upon completion of IST?

New Employees

On completion of IST and when training commences on a panel/workstation/box, the individual will move to grade 4 (unless it is a lower graded post that they are training for – please see table below).

Existing Employees

An existing employee is defined as either a current Signaller or an employee of Network Rail in another department/role.

For existing Signallers within each grade a training rate will be paid to existing employees who are undergoing training. This will consist of either:
a) The old rate of pay and the old Flexibility Premium
or
b) the old rate of pay and the Flexibility Premium of the new post
whichever is the greater.

The full new rate of pay and full associated premiums will only be paid when full competency has been achieved. However, any individual passed as competent for part of a job (e.g. for panel in a multi-panel link) will be paid Higher Grade Duty if that part of the job is undertaken for at least 25% of the shift.

For existing employees entering the signalling grade from another department/role they will train on their old rate of pay until full competency has been achieved.

For existing & new employees upon passing competent for your first panel/workstation/box, there is a commitment from Network Rail to keep you off the base roster until full competency is achieved (all workstation/panels if in a multi-link location or core boxes for relief cover) unless agreed between manager and employee that last resort cover is required or if part of agreed training plans.

Q In the T&Cs in the recruitment and training section it states the standardised training salaries for external new starters, is this including pool signallers?
Yes, all new entrant signallers receive the training salary as per the table below for vacancies advertised from 1st May 2023.

Pay table.jpg

^ The table above shows pay progression during training for external applicants

Fennel

I believe it was closing yesterday at 23:59, I only applied for grade 8 and waiting to hear back from them. I am assuming it will probably take weeks, I have also made couple of mistakes on my online assesment. My only hope is that my current role ticks every single box of transferable skills
How did you know it was closing yesterday, is there way of checking it on their website.

Passed everything but was unavailable for interview on the 1 date and hour slot they offered me.

The role had been re-advertised and I switched my location to it (not sure why this was necessary) same grade and location.

exactly what i feel. Ask them to do change address on my profile. They did and reinstated my application for a different location which I don’t meet that 60 minutes commute thing. Spoke to them and asked why did you change to that location without asking me they said its miss communication,surely on their side. I communicated very clearly, than they said they check commute time on particular time
Of the day ,one 6 in the morning and another like 8pm, I asked why can’t you mention this on the website,reply was we can’t put everything on website,why not? It confuses the system,nothing confusing with mention of timing.

Zowie

How did you know it was closing yesterday, is there way of checking it on their website.

When I googled signaller Rugby, I found same offer that was more detailed. There was information that they are closing on 21st so I am assuming it was to very last minute on 21st. As it wasn't available on 22nd

DMckduck97

exactly what i feel. Ask them to do change address on my profile. They did and reinstated my application for a different location which I don’t meet that 60 minutes commute thing. Spoke to them and asked why did you change to that location without asking me they said its miss communication,surely on their side. I communicated very clearly, than they said they check commute time on particular time
Of the day ,one 6 in the morning and another like 8pm, I asked why can’t you mention this on the website,reply was we can’t put everything on website,why not? It confuses the system,nothing confusing with mention of timing.
It's a bit messy and jumbled currently, hopefully with time the website format and application process can be streamlined.

Just annoying, would have liked to proven myself at the interview and knowing I scored well enough the first time to bag an interview and am currently within the 6 month period, to then be given feedback deeming me unsuccessful without ever interviewing...

wakewaterblue

I am currently applying for a Grade 2 Trainee Signaller for Three Bridges in Sussex. Hard to find more information about this but I have to do an online assessment with several different real life scenarios that I might encounter in the role. Any ideas what these could be? I am ex police so hopefully it won't be too testing but when looking at a completely different world of working, it's knowing what they would be looking for. Safety I guess comes first but also not holding everything up unnecessarily! Any pointers from someone who has done this recently as I am sure they will be changing them. I doesn't say that I have any online tests like numeracy, literacy etc....maybe that is to come?

Zowie

Can someone share some experience in regards to interview date, if you are invited to interview will they give you some days to chose from? I am a bit nervous as it is very difficult to get last minute leave in my current situation

CoachB

Can someone share some experience in regards to interview date, if you are invited to interview will they give you some days to chose from? I am a bit nervous as it is very difficult to get last minute leave in my current situation
I'm sure someone who's had a more recent interview will be able to advise but the ones I've had were online and were set date and time.
I previously asked if it was possible to change the date as I didn't know if I would have a good enough internet connection and was told they were unable to move it.

Pblyth90

I had my interview in person last month. I couldn’t make the original date but they offered me another date. I think they’re quite accommodating if you give enough notice

Baz79

Hi
I Have been looking at a Grade 7 signaller job in Edinburgh .

Does anyone know the Edinburgh signallers shift pattern for grade 7 ?

I take it the Edinburgh signal box is at Waverley station ?

Thanks