• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Fennel

Apologies for the long post, but hopefully some people may find this 2023/2024 job application to confirmed start date useful. I'm sure all application timelines will be drastically different but here is mine.

Grade 7 Signaller at York ROC:

21st November 2023
Initial application:
-Basic questions; do you have the right to work in the UK etc.
-Multiple choice questions such as: your friends are drinking the night before the shift, what do you do? You list the 1st, 2nd and 3rd preference. I found this quite strange and difficult, but it does make you think and choose a decision.
-Application questions: Questions to be answered in around 200–300 words. For example, why do you want to be a signaler?
This took a few hours to do. Take your time, read the questions and come back to it. You do not have to finish it in one go.

8th December 2023 (2 weeks and 3 days since application)
Aptitude test email:
-Aptitude test/signaler ability: This was totally different to what I expected but basically just different scenarios - for example, remembering where the shapes on screen were.
-I cannot help a great deal with this because I had already passed the signaler ability test within the last 6 months, this email was just to let me know that my application had moved to the assessment stage.

19th December 2023 (4 weeks since application)
Interview email:
-Asked to attend a virtual interview on Thursday 18th January.
-Had to confirm attendance by email.
-Hade to upload documents to an ID portal; ID, proof of DOB, proof of address.
-A PDF is also supplied with interview tips such as the S.T.A.R method.

16th January 2024 (8 weeks since application)
-Informal visit to York ROC to have a look around and ask questions.

18th January 2024 (8 weeks and 2 days since application)
-Virtual interview that lasted 45 minutes with 2 people on screen, 1 asking questions and the other typing my answers. It was honestly very relaxed, they were friendly and professional.
-I wore a white shirt and a black tie. Simple but smart.
-I was asked expected questions regarding what you know about Network Rail and its role, asked about signaller training etc.
-Non technical skills; use the STAR (Situation/Task/Action/Result) method and sell yourself. For example: Provide an example of when you worked in a high pressure situation.
-There was also a signaller assessment/roleplay questions relating a simulated scenario. For example, this has happened - what would you do first?
-Tips: Be yourself, be confident, research Network Rail, research the role, prepare to talk about scenarios where you have worked in a high pressure situation, research the safety culture at NR.

19th January 2024 (8 weeks and 3 days since application)
Phone call the next day to offer me the job!
-Call and an email to offer the job subject to conditions.
-Proposed start date 25th March 2024, proposed IST date 8th April 2024
-Sent a PDF with information and medical requirements etc.

24th January 2024: (9 weeks and 1 day since application)
Onboarding emails (3 emails)
-Email 1 (Contract/offer pack)
-Email 2 (DBS checks)
-Email 3 (Employment history)
I completed the DBS portal and sent all relevant signed documents back the same day.

25th January 2024: (9 weeks and 2 days since application)
-Email asking me to submit ID documents for criminal record check

6th February 2024: (11 weeks since application)
-DBS Arrived by post

9th February 2024: (11 weeks and 3 days since application)
Email for booked medical
-Appointment date: Thursday 15th February 2024

15th February 2024: (12 weeks and 2 days since application)
Appointment Duration: 90 minutes
Appointment Date & Time: Thursday, 15th February 2024 at 1:30 pm
Appointment Type: Pre Placement HSW Medical Level 5
  • Questions: Asking various questions about any previous or current medical issues. Standard stuff like have you ever had TB etc.
  • Current medication: Went through my current medication, physically took the prescribed medication with me to show. (Sertraline in my case, was no problem)
  • BMI: Weight and height checks. I am overweight but wasn't an issue.
  • Blood pressure: First test high but ok, second test was perfect.
  • Breath test: Blow test to check for alcohol.
  • Urine test: Wee sample in a tube to check for drugs, this was quite awkward as she stood right outside the cubicle. If you're a shy p*sser then you might struggle :lol:
  • Hearing test: A lengthy test whilst sat in a small sound proof cubicle with headphones on pressing a button when you hear a sound.
  • Eye sight test: I was surprised at how simple this was. Colorblind test, reading out numbers from a book. Covering one eye at a time and reading out letters on a board.
  • Mobility test: Moving you head left to right and touching toes etc. I cannot touch my toes was no issue.
20th February 2024: (13 weeks since application)
Pre-employment checks are complete!
-Confirmed start date (25th March)
-Employee number.
-Line manager to get in touch.

I hope this helps. If anyone else is starting at York ROC on 25th March get in touch!
That is brilliant, well written in detail timeline. Many thanks and good luck with the IST.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flashbang

Apologies for the long post, but hopefully some people may find this 2023/2024 job application to confirmed start date useful. I'm sure all application timelines will be drastically different but here is mine.

21st November 2023
Initial application:
-Multiple choice questions such as: your friends are drinking the night before the shift, what do you do? You list the 1st, 2nd and 3rd preference. I found this quite strange and difficult, but it does make you think and choose a decision.
-Application questions: Questions to be answered in around 200–300 words. For example, why do you want to be a signaler?
This took a few hours to do. Take your time, read the questions and come back to it. You do not have to finish it in one go.

Aptitude test email:
-Aptitude test/signaler ability: This was totally different to what I expected but basically just different scenarios - for example, remembering where the shapes on screen were.
-I cannot help a great deal with this because I had already passed the signaler ability test within the last 6 months, this email was just to let me know that my application had moved to the assessment stage.

Interview email:

-Virtual interview that lasted 45 minutes with 2 people on screen, 1 asking questions and the other typing my answers. It was honestly very relaxed, they were friendly and professional.
-I was asked expected questions regarding what you know about Network Rail and its role, asked about signaller training etc.
-Non technical skills; use the STAR (Situation/Task/Action/Result) method and sell yourself. For example: Provide an example of when you worked in a high pressure situation.
-There was also a signaller assessment/roleplay questions relating a simulated scenario. For example, this has happened - what would you do first?
-Tips: Be yourself, be confident, research Network Rail, research the role, prepare to talk about scenarios where you have worked in a high pressure situation, research the safety culture at NR.

-Email 2 (DBS checks)
I completed the DBS portal and sent all relevant signed documents back the same day.

-DBS Arrived by post

Email for booked medical

• Questions: Asking various questions about any previous or current medical issues. Standard stuff like have you ever had TB etc.
  • Current medication: Went through my current medication, physically took the prescribed medication with me to show. (Sertraline in my case, was no problem)
  • Urine test: Wee sample in a tube to check for drugs, this was quite awkward as she stood right outside the cubicle. If you're a shy p*sser then you might struggle :lol:
  • Hearing test: A lengthy test whilst sat in a small sound proof cubicle with headphones on pressing a button when you hear a sound.
  • Eye sight test: I was surprised at how simple this was. Colorblind test, reading out numbers from a book. Covering one eye at a time and reading out letters on a board.
  • Mobility test: Moving you head left to right and touching toes etc. I cannot touch my toes was no issue.
-Employee number.

I hope this helps. If anyone else is starting at York ROC on 25th March get in touch!

Currently waiting on my employee number and start date!

Got offered the role September last year, Had my medical in December and then it went in house a week later so I needed it to be reviewed for medication…. Finally had a whole 3minute phone call with the Dr last week who just said yep that’s fine!

It’s been a long wait but there’s finally a sign that things might start moving along now!

Hoping to hear in the next few days and fingers crossed I could be on the same IST.

deeneyweb

8 hours. Wakefield has one of the worst rosters in my opinion
What is it about the 6-2, 2-10, 10-6 that is not good? I’m due to go onto this when I’m working solo at Littlehampton. I’ve not worked shifts in my previous role but looking at when I would be sleeping or organising the rest of my day around it it doesn’t seem to bad. Or is it that you only get 1 weekend clear in 4 that becomes difficult ?

Repent

Apprently pay talks next week, shouldn’t a long meeting “1% full and final offer” is my guess.

21st November 2023
Initial application:

Aptitude test email:

Interview email:

-Email 2 (DBS checks)

-DBS Arrived by post

Email for booked medical

-Employee number.

I start on the 15th, probably at York, but unsure as yet

godfreycomplex

Established Member
. Or is it that you only get 1 weekend clear in 4 that becomes difficult ?
More or less. Not only the 1 weekend in 4, but the fact that’s your only actual run of time off for the most part. And if you work overtime (less of a free choice for some people than others), even that goes. Not ideal. Plus the exhausting turn rounds between shifts.

That being said however, it does have its upsides, and it’s a jolly gig either way.

WL113

What is it about the 6-2, 2-10, 10-6 that is not good? I’m due to go onto this when I’m working solo at Littlehampton. I’ve not worked shifts in my previous role but looking at when I would be sleeping or organising the rest of my day around it it doesn’t seem to bad. Or is it that you only get 1 weekend clear in 4 that becomes difficult ?

8 hour shifts - always at work. Runs of 7 earlies, a couple of days off then a few lates then 7 night shifts in a row. Absolutely exhausting. yes there was a long weekend every 3 weeks but too tired to do much.

12 hours are obviously longer shifts but far fewer of them, so many days off it feels like a part time job after years of doing 8s.

Just my opinion of course, everyone has different circumstances but I found 8 hour rosters absolutely horrific.

Kraken

8 hour shifts - always at work. Runs of 7 earlies, a couple of days off then a few lates then 7 night shifts in a row. Absolutely exhausting. yes there was a long weekend every 3 weeks but too tired to do much.

12 hours are obviously longer shifts but far fewer of them, so many days off it feels like a part time job after years of doing 8s.

Just my opinion of course, everyone has different circumstances but I found 8 hour rosters absolutely horrific.
Agreed, we moved from 8s to 12s last year and, for me at least, it’s been a dream. I don’t really notice the extra 4 hours at work each shift, but I definitely notice that I’m barely at work any more. 7/8 rest days in a row every four weeks is unbelievable. As you say, any overtime on 8s feels like you’re killing your precious rest days, whereas now I can bang out a rest day worked (which pays 50% more than it used to) and still have loads of days off as well.

deeneyweb

Agreed, we moved from 8s to 12s last year and, for me at least, it’s been a dream. I don’t really notice the extra 4 hours at work each shift, but I definitely notice that I’m barely at work any more. 7/8 rest days in a row every four weeks is unbelievable. As you say, any overtime on 8s feels like you’re killing your precious rest days, whereas now I can bang out a rest day worked (which pays 50% more than it used to) and still have loads of days off as well.
Thanks all for the responses. I start in April and my IST doesn’t start until June 16th so IF I pass that first time then it will still be a good few months before I can work solo on the rota so I’ve got quite a while to get my head around it. Or maybe for it even change to a 12hr.
Cheers

Fennel

Hi this is what I received today,does this mean i passed the assessment but there weren’t vacancies available? Anyone in the similar situation and what happened next. I can also see on ambertrack portal LAQ feedback but on clicking it doesn’t bring anything.

We're sorry to let you know we won't be able to move you to the next stage on this occasion. This is because we have either filled all the places at the location you applied to, or we have enough candidates at the next stage to fill the places we have available. 

We understand this is disappointing, but we don't want to ask you to go through further assessment stages if it's unlikely we'll have a place to offer. 

We have already identified other locations that you are within range for and will be in touch should anything become available at an alternative location.

At that stage, you can decide whether you wish to proceed with applying to an alternative location. Your test scores remain valid for 6 months, so if this happens within hat window, you won’t be asked to complete another test. “

Ducatist4

It means if you find another opportunity you wont have to resit the tests. Or they might contact you if anything comes up locally.

Nothing will happen next unless another vacancy comes along within the next six months. After that you'll have to start again.

Last edited:

AverageJoe

It sounds like the tests you already took are up to the standard required which would be a pass.

Obviously I don’t know what tests you have taken as I’ve only ever done the train driver ones.

But from my experience it’s split into 2 groups; paper tests then computer tests with mmi.

The Puddock

Hi this is what I received today,does this mean i passed the assessment but there weren’t vacancies available? Anyone in the similar situation and what happened next. I can also see on ambertrack portal LAQ feedback but on clicking it doesn’t bring anything.
They'll keep your score on record for 6 months for any future applications you submit. There is a range of scores so you could still be turned down for an interview if other candidates have scored higher than you.

It sounds like the tests you already took are up to the standard required which would be a pass.

Obviously I don’t know what tests you have taken as I’ve only ever done the train driver ones.

But from my experience it’s split into 2 groups; paper tests then computer tests with mmi.
The signaller tests are totally different from the drivers tests.

Fennel

It means if you find another opportunity you wont have to resit the tests. Or they might contact you if anything comes up locally.

Nothing will happen next unless another vacancy comes along within the next six months. After that you'll have to start again.
Thank you

They'll keep your score on record for 6 months for any future applications you submit. There is a range of scores so you could still be turned down for an interview if other candidates have scored higher than you.

The signaller tests are totally different from the drivers tests.
Thank you

Thank you

Jenny

Starting as a relief signaller soon. Can someone explain pay to me, fully aware of the grades I’ll be paid.
Grade 2 whilst at school
Grade 4 whilst learning box
Grade 6 when productive.

My question is, as I’ve got to sign multiple boxes, will I get my grade six pay when I’ve passed out on first box? Or will it be all of them? How long does it take to pass out on one box?
Also, when does my relief premium kick in? From when I first start boxes or after?
And finally, does my London allowances kick in straight away too?

CoachB

We're sorry to let you know we won't be able to move you to the next stage on this occasion. This is because we have either filled all the places at the location you applied to, or we have enough candidates at the next stage to fill the places we have available. 

We understand this is disappointing, but we don't want to ask you to go through further assessment stages if it's unlikely we'll have a place to offer. 

We have already identified other locations that you are within range for and will be in touch should anything become available at an alternative location.

At that stage, you can decide whether you wish to proceed with applying to an alternative location. Your test scores remain valid for 6 months, so if this happens within hat window, you won’t be asked to complete another test. “
It basically means you scored well enough in the application and assessment but there were others that scored higher.
They'll keep your assessment scores on file for the next 6 months so if you apply for any vacancies within that period you won't have to resit the assessment part. This allows for you to improve upon your application answers to help improve your odds.

Fennel

It basically means you scored well enough in the application and assessment but there were others that scored higher.
They'll keep your assessment scores on file for the next 6 months so if you apply for any vacancies within that period you won't have to resit the assessment part. This allows for you to improve upon your application answers to help improve your odds.
Thank you.

Kraken

Starting as a relief signaller soon. Can someone explain pay to me, fully aware of the grades I’ll be paid.
Grade 2 whilst at school
Grade 4 whilst learning box
Grade 6 when productive.

My question is, as I’ve got to sign multiple boxes, will I get my grade six pay when I’ve passed out on first box? Or will it be all of them? How long does it take to pass out on one box?
Also, when does my relief premium kick in? From when I first start boxes or after?
And finally, does my London allowances kick in straight away too?

I’ve never been able to find firm rules for when all the pay starts. I think it really just works however your LOM wants it to work or however it has historically worked in the location you work in.

For me it was training pay all the way through IST and learning the box(es). As soon as I passed out my first box and got ruling and verification out of the way I moved onto my full pay with flexibility premium. Since I was on the roster and not knowing what shifts I would be working it made sense to me to get the Flexibility Premium, even though I only signed one location at the time. But I’ve heard people not getting FP until they sign half the locations, or even all the locations. Probably best to speak to someone in your new workplace and see if they can give you the gen.

Jenny

I’ve never been able to find firm rules for when all the pay starts. I think it really just works however your LOM wants it to work or however it has historically worked in the location you work in.

For me it was training pay all the way through IST and learning the box(es). As soon as I passed out my first box and got ruling and verification out of the way I moved onto my full pay with flexibility premium. Since I was on the roster and not knowing what shifts I would be working it made sense to me to get the Flexibility Premium, even though I only signed one location at the time. But I’ve heard people not getting FP until they sign half the locations, or even all the locations. Probably best to speak to someone in your new workplace and see if they can give you the gen.
Thank you. This is very helpful, I’ve not started yet. But will ask my LOM in first few weeks before IST.

Random1234

Does anyone know what the shift pattern is like at the signalling centre in Aston - Birmingham
Wondering the same.

Did you interview for the G6 West Mids role? And have you heard anything back? Was told by the individuals interviewing that should be no more than a week but that timeframe has now surpassed.

Fennel

Wondering the same.

Did you interview for the G6 West Mids role? And have you heard anything back? Was told by the individuals interviewing that should be no more than a week but that timeframe has now surpassed.
Hi, if you don’t mind me asking, when did you apply for this role in west mid, because I have been checking NR website and have not seen west mid role for a while. Thanks

Random1234

Hi, if you don’t mind me asking, when did you apply for this role in west mid, because I have been checking NR website and have not seen west mid role for a while. Thanks

The initial job listing was posted in August 2023, followed by an interview invitation in late September. Shortly thereafter, received an email indicating a temporary halt in the hiring process. Then randomly got an email at the start of this month asking if I was still interested in interviewing for the role.

NRnoob

Hi,

Absolute noob here and I'm sure this has been answered at some point in this forums existence, but I've got some specific questions I haven't seen here;

I've been fortunate enough to reach the final interview stages for a signaller job with Network Rail.

I come from a successful career elsewhere.

I enjoy my current role but have always wanted to get into trains as I am a bit of a train nerd.

My question (obviously if I'm successful at my interview and offered the position, there were many hundreds of applicants.)

Residential training is for ten weeks. Does that mean I'm living at the training center? (Might be a stupid question as it states residential)

Salary during training is reduced (rightfully so) but I'm wondering if it's reduced for the entirety of the apprenticeship (16 - 18 months) or for the duration of initial signaller training (3-4 months.) I've done some research and I'm getting mixed answers back.)

Benefits wise, apart from being a cool job, what would you say are the main benefits and what does a typical weekly shift pattern look like. Are there overtime opportunities. What does that entail, etc.

Progression wise, what are the most obvious role changes and progression path apart from moving up grades on boxes.

Finally, I've heard the pension is second to none, could anyone elaborate on what an average pension with NR would look like in that position?

All of this is rather exciting may I add, I feel very fortunate to make the cut thusfar. The assessments have been rather enjoyable and there have been a lot of them!

Fennel

The initial job listing was posted in August 2023, followed by an interview invitation in late September. Shortly thereafter, received an email indicating a temporary halt in the hiring process. Then randomly got an email at the start of this month asking if I was still interested in interviewing for the role.
Thank you, I remember that,i think it was higher grade. Like grade 7 or 8. I have not seen any roles available for west midlands since. Thats over 6 months. Not sure what other boxes are available to me with in 60 minutes commute, live in Birmingham. Anyway Good luck.

RailNoob

Thank you. This is very helpful, I’ve not started yet. But will ask my LOM in first few weeks before IST.
See attached in regards to this!

Attachments

• IMG-20230314-WA0017.jpg
    IMG-20230314-WA0017.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 91
Hi my portal now says "next stage assessment center" could anyone tell me what the assessment center is like? I haven't had any actual details but I'd like to be prepared

Random1234

I've been informed that I've been added to the reserves list. I'm curious, do candidates often receive further communication after being placed on this list?

Open_G

I've been informed that I've been added to the reserves list. I'm curious, do candidates often receive further communication after being placed on this list?
I had the same email, pretty much discarded the whole idea at that point only to be called up 3 months later and offered the job. Didn’t have any communication in between though.