• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RailNoob

You do realise you don’t get paid an extra month for free, right? You’ll just get paid less per pay than if you were paid monthly, therefore still earning the same salary at the end of each year. It may be better in terms of frequency of pay, but just stating as it sounds like people here feel there is an additional pay for nothing.
I never stated anything of the sort. I agreed with the previous comment of the 13 paydays means you get a month off your mortgage payment as me and most of my colleagues ive also spoken too do? You only make 12 payments a year so therefore a payday without a mortgate payment is a bonus in my opinion.

Last edited:
I never stated anything of the sort. I agreed with the previous comment of the 13 paydays means you get a month off your mortgage payment as me and most of my colleagues ive also spoken too do? You only make 12 payments a year so therefore a payday without a mortgate payment is a bonus in my opinion.
It may seem like a decent bonus, but you don’t get any extra money than somebody who is paid monthly is all I am stating. I read somebody’s reply as that’s maybe what they thought, so was only clearing that up. Sorry if I came across condescending, that wasn’t my intentions. I get paid monthly just now and my Wife works for LNER who pay 4 weekly, but she doesn’t earn any extra than her yearly salary due to the ‘extra’ payday. I am not disputing it is a nice thing, just clarifying you still get paid the same yearly salary if paid monthly or 4 weekly is all. Certainly handy not having to wait 5 weeks like some months! I also agree with you making 12 payments and receiving 13 would be a nice little ‘bonus’ on the month your extra pay falls as it seems like a free month of bills essentially.

Last edited:

RailNoob

It may seem like a decent bonus, but you don’t get any extra money than somebody who is paid monthly is all I am stating. I read somebody’s reply as that’s maybe what they thought, so was only clearing that up. Sorry if I came across condescending, that wasn’t my intentions. I get paid monthly just now and my Wife works for LNER who pay 4 weekly, but she doesn’t earn any extra than her yearly salary due to the ‘extra’ payday. I am not disputing it is a nice thing, just clarifying you still get paid the same yearly salary if paid monthly or 4 weekly is all. Certainly handy not having to wait 5 weeks like some months! I also agree with you making 12 payments and receiving 13 would be a nice little ‘bonus’ on the month your extra pay falls as it seems like a free month of bills essentially.
I agree we do not earn anymore over the year, I am not disputing this fact and I apolgise if I had lead anyone to believe as such that was not my intention. The month free of bills is definitely welcome! No need to apolgise no harm done.

I agree we do not earn anymore over the year, I am not disputing this fact and I apolgise if I had lead anyone to believe as such that was not my intention. The month free of bills is definitely welcome! No need to apolgise no harm done.
All good mate. I just read it as somebody else took it that way so was just clarifying is all. Hopefully I manage to land myself the role I have applied for and get to experience the month of free bills for myself. If the pay date is 26th and then every 4 weeks, that would be January when people are usually skint too!

muz379

Established Member
The only thing worth bearing in mind with 4 weekly pay is the payday gets earlier in the month as the year goes on so its not a set day/date every month .

So next year for example the second Janurary payday is the 31st , and by December you get paid on the 5th .

Paul1050

Living up near Lancaster, would IST training be done at York or Walsall does anyone know, or is it all done in York ?

Many Thanks

DMckduck97

You do realise you don’t get paid an extra month for free, right? You’ll just get paid less per pay than if you were paid monthly, therefore still earning the same salary at the end of each year. It may be better in terms of frequency of pay, but just stating as it sounds like people here feel there is an additional pay for nothing.
I'm pretty sure he did realise, most if not all of us on the railway and I reckon most people paid 4 weekly think of the 13th payday wherever it falls as a sort of payment holiday.

I'm pretty sure he did realise, most if not all of us on the railway and I reckon most people paid 4 weekly think of the 13th payday wherever it falls as a sort of payment holiday.
Yeah we have established that already, thanks though. I am used to monthly pay and the Wife gets 4 weekly pay which works great for us combined. I personally prefer monthly pay as you obviously get that bit extra each month, but I am yet to have 4 weekly pay so may be a bit biased. I guess time will tell if I ever get 4 weekly pay, and what I prefer after being on it, if I ever am. Looking at the way it is distributed, I don’t see a month (even January as it would fall for this job with 2x payments) where I have a payment free month for bills. Just my take on it. If others are happy on it, I see their way of thinking and respect that.

Paul1050

Living up near Lancaster, would IST training be done at York or Walsall does anyone know, or is it all done in York ?

Many Thanks
In addition to this, I have read online that the location I have applied for is due to close around 2027 and will be controlled by Manchester ROC. What would be the long term future of the role should this all happen ? Manchester is over an hour commute for me on a very good traffic day so concerned this would be a very short term career move :'(. I have spent the last 18 years travelling overseas so would not be interested in relocating for another role. Just weighing up the long term future should my interview go well

Rheace

In addition to this, I have read online that the location I have applied for is due to close around 2027 and will be controlled by Manchester ROC. What would be the long term future of the role should this all happen ? Manchester is over an hour commute for me on a very good traffic day so concerned this would be a very short term career move :'(. I have spent the last 18 years travelling overseas so would not be interested in relocating for another role. Just weighing up the long term future should my interview go well
Hi Paul,
I believe my friend who lives local to you, did the IST in Preston.

Can I ask which position you applied for and when you applied?

I am unsure what will happen with that, but I would be honest with them at IST and ask the question. If it is something that is likely to throw you off, then maybe it’s worth thinking about. Good luck regardless of your decision.

The Puddock

Many Thanks
IST can be at any of the training locations in the whole country, although they will try and keep you local if possible. Ultimately training places are in high demand and they have to send you to wherever they can get a place on a course.

There is a long-standing agreement between the company and the unions known as Promotion, Transfer, Relocation and Redundancy which governs what happens to staff when their location closes. That means they’ll try to find you a job at a suitable location when yours shuts, including closed listing of vacancies in advance or assistance to relocate if that’s what you want to do. If you end up in a lower graded post you’ll keep your previous grade on a personal basis. With the union on its back, the company is usually very good at finding somewhere suitable for people to go. If you are successful in your application, I would advise you to join the RMT so they can help you if needed (although they should be making sure PTR&R is followed regardless of whether or not the affected staff are all members). If that box is definitely closing in 2027 then the union and management will already be starting to think about options for the displaced staff.

Signalbox closures are horrible - I’ve been involved in quite a few over the years - and it’s not a nice position to be in, so you have my sympathy.

Paul1050

Hi Paul,
I believe my friend who lives local to you, did the IST in Preston.

Can I ask which position you applied for and when you applied?
I applied for Carnforth, around March I think and got the interview mail this week. I was surprised as I was sure I made a real mess of the last online test but did good on the others. Maybe a lack of applicants so just gave me an interview

IST can be at any of the training locations in the whole country, although they will try and keep you local if possible. Ultimately training places are in high demand and they have to send you to wherever they can get a place on a course.

There is a long-standing agreement between the company and the unions known as Promotion, Transfer, Relocation and Redundancy which governs what happens to staff when their location closes. That means they’ll try to find you a job at a suitable location when yours shuts, including closed listing of vacancies in advance or assistance to relocate if that’s what you want to do. If you end up in a lower graded post you’ll keep your previous grade on a personal basis. With the union on its back, the company is usually very good at finding somewhere suitable for people to go. If you are successful in your application, I would advise you to join the RMT so they can help you if needed (although they should be making sure PTR&R is followed regardless of whether or not the affected staff are all members). If that box is definitely closing in 2027 then the union and management will already be starting to think about options for the displaced staff.

Signalbox closures are horrible - I’ve been involved in quite a few over the years - and it’s not a nice position to be in, so you have my sympathy.
Many thanks for the detailed reply Puddock. That’s help my decision making really as I wanted a career for remainder of my working life and certainly not looking for closures, loss of jobs etc as relocation is not on the cards at all. It’s a real shame but glad I asked the question first rather than 2 years into the job ( assuming I was successful at interview which is a big IF really)

Signal_Box

Wow, it really is crazy. Helps you understand why there is so much competition for roles.

Is the 30% around about normal for a relief signaller too?

Quick question though what do you consider “most signaller”

A fully qualified grade 7 will be on roughly £60k with all your booked Sundays and nights etc.

Relief grade 7 depending on your premium will be alot different as you no booked nights or Sundays, but you’ll get first dibs on vacant Sundays and probably more nights then the resident link.

With a bit of RDW and addtional Sunday work a G7 can go over £90k and just over £100k with a little leg work.

muz379

Established Member
With regards training , there are training centres at Carlisle , Preston , Manchester . And I believe one is in the process of being opened in Chester as well . But they can and do send people wherever there is a place nationally . You will be accomodated, provided train tickets and if needed paid Travel on the sunday to make sure you are in place for Monday morning .

Regards Box closures , I dont know where you have read about the closures , but box closures do get put back all the time . And even then as The puddock has said there are a range of agreements in place with the union for this instance but the one that is probably of most interest if you want to stay local is closed listing of vacancies at nearby signalling locations so only people effected by the box closures can apply for those vacancies .

The Puddock

Anyone know if there are training centres up in Scotland or would the 6 possible candidates be in England for IST
At the moment there are two - Perth and Shettleston. Could still end up in England though, if there are no places on Scottish courses.

ZackCulross

At the moment there are two - Perth and Shettleston. Could still end up in England though, if there are no places on Scottish courses.
Ah nice, I know edinburgh are looking for 6 people with arbroath looking for someone also so might be a case for them to train them up here

The Puddock

Ah nice, I know edinburgh are looking for 6 people with arbroath looking for someone also so might be a case for them to train them up here
Scotland now gives priority to trainees for Scottish locations on the courses held here but there is a lot of recruitment going on at the moment so some trainees still have to be sent south. Both Perth and Shettleston have a full program of Absolute Block and Track Circuit Block courses planned for the rest of the year but trainer and simulator availability limits how many courses can be run.

Paul1050

With regards training , there are training centres at Carlisle , Preston , Manchester . And I believe one is in the process of being opened in Chester as well . But they can and do send people wherever there is a place nationally . You will be accomodated, provided train tickets and if needed paid Travel on the sunday to make sure you are in place for Monday morning .

Regards Box closures , I dont know where you have read about the closures , but box closures do get put back all the time . And even then as The puddock has said there are a range of agreements in place with the union for this instance but the one that is probably of most interest if you want to stay local is closed listing of vacancies at nearby signalling locations so only people effected by the box closures can apply for those vacancies .
I would need to pass the interview and virtual assessment but Preston, Carlisle both be good. Originally from Yorkshire so more than happy training in York too. But its all dependent on the interview as I never expected to even get this far.

Signalbox.org listed Carnforth as closing 2027.

muz379

Established Member
I would need to pass the interview and virtual assessment but Preston, Carlisle both be good. Originally from Yorkshire so more than happy training in York too. But its all dependent on the interview as I never expected to even get this far.

Signalbox.org listed Carnforth as closing 2027.
Well best of luck with it , the only thing worth mentioning regarding training venue is you do not get given a preference they just book you on a course wherever is available . As I said though , you get put up the whole way through school . I guess it can be a pain if you have family and are travelling to the other end of the country every sunday and back on a friday . But it is well worth it once you get those 12 weeks out of the way .

I wouldn't take everything on there as gospel , there are dozens of boxes listed as being abolished in previous years that are still open with no firm plans for closure .

A fully qualified grade 7 will be on roughly £60k with all your booked Sundays and nights etc.

Relief grade 7 depending on your premium will be alot different as you no booked nights or Sundays, but you’ll get first dibs on vacant Sundays and probably more nights then the resident link.

With a bit of RDW and addtional Sunday work a G7 can go over £90k and just over £100k with a little leg work.
That’s a good insight into some great potential earnings! How do you come to these figures though? From what I have read, you can usually add around £10k on top of a Signallers salary just by working your rostered rota (with Sunday workings and Nightshift allowance added) just curious how adding some RDW you can push £90-£100k from a base line salary of almost £48k.

I have applied to Grade 9 so I am interested in some potential numbers. (Not holding my breath I’ll get anywhere close to the job, but you never know. I feel I have a good chance if given an interview)

Thanks in advance for your reply. It’s much appreciated.

Paul1050

Well best of luck with it , the only thing worth mentioning regarding training venue is you do not get given a preference they just book you on a course wherever is available . As I said though , you get put up the whole way through school . I guess it can be a pain if you have family and are travelling to the other end of the country every sunday and back on a friday . But it is well worth it once you get those 12 weeks out of the way .

I wouldn't take everything on there as gospel , there are dozens of boxes listed as being abolished in previous years that are still open with no firm plans for closure .
Thank you Muz, appreciate the help and advice. If I was successful at interview, I would be happy training anywhere. Spent the last 13 years working overseas so use to been away from family. longest I did was 6 months so 12 weeks is no worries. I guess that’s main reason for asking about closures and not wanting to relocate.
It’s just hypothetical at present as I would need to clear the interview and receive an offer but the closures did nerve me a little as I am sure it has many who have experienced it. Would hate to leave a secure job to put my family under financial pressure.

The Puddock

That’s a good insight into some great potential earnings! How do you come to these figures though? From what I have read, you can usually add around £10k on top of a Signallers salary just by working your rostered rota (with Sunday workings and Nightshift allowance added) just curious how adding some RDW you can push £90-£100k from a base line salary of almost £48k.

I have applied to Grade 9 so I am interested in some potential numbers. (Not holding my breath I’ll get anywhere close to the job, but you never know. I feel I have a good chance if given an interview)

Thanks in advance for your reply. It’s much appreciated.

You'd need to spend a lot of your days off at work to make that sort of money on a grade 6. That's also dependent on overtime being available at your location - if the box is fully staffed, with a full complement of reliefs and there's not much sickness, you may not get much opportunity to work a rest day. With the new 60 hour fatigue standard looming and signaller recruitment increasing accordingly, it'll soon be very difficult to work that amount of overtime. On a grade 9 its more achievable but you'd still need to be either single or hate your family to want to spend so much of your free time working.

It's notable that the trainees who arrive in the box with pound signs in their eyes and who are fixated with overtime are invariably the ones who make the unhappiest, most stressed out signallers. Incidents and problems seem to follow them round like a dark cloud. Personally I'd rather enjoy my time off than spend all shift boasting to a captive audience about how I cleared £100k last year.

You'd need to spend a lot of your days off at work to make that sort of money on a grade 6. That's also dependent on overtime being available at your location - if the box is fully staffed, with a full complement of reliefs and there's not much sickness, you may not get much opportunity to work a rest day. With the new 60 hour fatigue standard looming and signaller recruitment increasing accordingly, it'll soon be very difficult to work that amount of overtime. On a grade 9 its more achievable but you'd still need to be either single or hate your family to want to spend so much of your free time working.

It's notable that the trainees who arrive in the box with pound signs in their eyes and who are fixated with overtime are invariably the ones who make the unhappiest, most stressed out signallers. Incidents and problems seem to follow them round like a dark cloud. Personally I'd rather enjoy my time off than spend all shift boasting to a captive audience about how I cleared £100k last year.
That’s fair enough. I don’t think I would be spending all that time at work tbh! Just curious about the previous post regarding the potential earnings. I do OT when I can or need to at my current job (which I work 5 on 3 off) so it’s not bad adding a day’s OT here or there as I only ever do OT if it’s an early, so I have the rest of that day to still spend with family. (Finishing by 2/3pm latest)

So I would be safe to assume as a Grade 9, one could potentially earn a comfortable £60-£70k without adding too much OT and still having a good work, life balance?

muz379

Established Member
That’s fair enough. I don’t think I would be spending all that time at work tbh! Just curious about the previous post regarding the potential earnings. I do OT when I can or need to at my current job (which I work 5 on 3 off) so it’s not bad adding a day’s OT here or there as I only ever do OT if it’s an early, so I have the rest of that day to still spend with family. (Finishing by 2/3pm latest)

So I would be safe to assume as a Grade 9, one could potentially earn a comfortable £60-£70k without adding too much OT and still having a good work, life balance?
Assuming a 12 hour roster with alternate night/day sundays then at Grade 9 , if you do 10 Sunday days & 10 Sunday Nights (Take 6 booked off ) . When your base salary is adjusted for pension contributions youll be somewhere around £59.4k gross ive not added in any night premiums or the extra pay on saturday night into sunday morning so easily earn just over 60k gross just doing your rostered sundays and no RD's . Add £5.2k for every 12 day shifts of RDW you do slightly more if you pick up RDW on nights .

But bear in mind that your RDW if you do it will be 12 hr shifts . And as said above is not a guranteed right , seen many fall into the RDW trap on the railway

But honestly id focus on training and passing out first . Because when youve got line blocks coming out of your ears , and other stuff on your patch it wont matter how much you are earning .

Assuming a 12 hour roster with alternate night/day sundays then at Grade 9 , if you do 10 Sunday days & 10 Sunday Nights (Take 6 booked off ) . When your base salary is adjusted for pension contributions youll be somewhere around £59.4k gross ive not added in any night premiums or the extra pay on saturday night into sunday morning so easily earn just over 60k gross just doing your rostered sundays and no RD's . Add £5.2k for every 12 day shifts of RDW you do slightly more if you pick up RDW on nights .

But bear in mind that your RDW if you do it will be 12 hr shifts . And as said above is not a guranteed right , seen many fall into the RDW trap on the railway

But honestly id focus on training and passing out first . Because when youve got line blocks coming out of your ears , and other stuff on your patch it wont matter how much you are earning .
Thanks for the insight, that is very helpful. I am just curious as the current role I have is not too much less than Signalling base salary and I really enjoy my job. Potential to move any further up is somewhat limited right now as only Duty Manager (is realistically) within my reach at work. Obviously having these figures makes it easier for me to work out how much it’ll be worth all the hard work trying to get there, so thanks again.

I am focusing on actually landing an interview and doing well on that before what I am earning, trust me! Like I said above, just curious as I’ve read so many mixed reviews, so it’s good to have a proper insight is all. I also appreciate the RDW will be a 12hr shift, so I’d probably only be looking for any days when I have a longer stretch of RDs (say 6/7days off in a row for instance) again, that’s if I’m lucky enough to ever be in the position to begin with.

Last edited: