• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

Tibbins

Ignore those that say its easy. My advice would be. Just listen to the tones. When it’s the directory and tones together. Best of luck.

I’m very confused. As you said it was easy. But posted this ??? What wasn’t explained ?

I failed on the dots test, done like 7 lines but wasn’t fast enough! And also failed on a directory search test thing. Was really easy but the test wasn’t explained very well and there was a practice so basically went into it blind not knowing what to do! Annoying how easy I found these first set of paper tests but still failed! Never got to any computer tests!
For me the searching for a plumber/restaurant with same two symbols wasn’t explained very well. I thought I’d have to single out restaurants/plumbers from a bunch of other random nonsense but turned out what ever test you was doing (restaurant or plumber) they was all the same! They seemed more interested in making up drawn out story’s about it. Felt like the person doing the assessment was there to throw you off! And being the only test with no practice made me think why? Why couldn’t they do a practice test on this! But it’s my fault for not fully checking what was needed!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Diedinium

Maybe this is bit of a random question... I currently work as a web developer, but I've always been quite interested in Trains, recently even more so... Anyway, as someone working in a completely unrelated field to the rail industry, would I even stand a chance when it comes to applying to any train driver roles? Or is it kind of a required "perquisite" to work in some rail related job in order to up your chances of being hired?

I'm 22, so as far as I can tell age wouldn't be an issue for me at least - although since I live in Somerset I'm pretty sure the only TOCs I could apply to are GWR, South Western Rail and CrossCountry? So I'm guessing I need to keep an eye on the career sites for these ones. I'm not sure which FOC would be worth keeping an eye on as well though, so any advice on that is also appreciated!

So far I haven't managed to find any of these TOC/FOC looking for trainee drivers, only qualified ones - hopefully with some luck I'll see one pop up at some point though...

T-Karmel

Maybe this is bit of a random question... I currently work as a web developer, but I've always been quite interested in Trains, recently even more so... Anyway, as someone working in a completely unrelated field to the rail industry, would I even stand a chance when it comes to applying to any train driver roles? Or is it kind of a required "perquisite" to work in some rail related job in order to up your chances of being hired?

I'm 22, so as far as I can tell age wouldn't be an issue for me at least - although since I live in Somerset I'm pretty sure the only TOCs I could apply to are GWR, South Western Rail and CrossCountry? So I'm guessing I need to keep an eye on the career sites for these ones. I'm not sure which FOC would be worth keeping an eye on as well though, so any advice on that is also appreciated!

So far I haven't managed to find any of these TOC/FOC looking for trainee drivers, only qualified ones - hopefully with some luck I'll see one pop up at some point though...
I don't see your background to be any problem, I met Trainee Train Drivers who got a job and never worked in transport industry at all before and they came from retail for example.

As you said, your age isn't a problem neither, however just because of young age, what I would do, I would just do a thorough research, especially that you're from outside of the railway. Just so you understand thoroughly what a job itself, and recruitment process involves.
For example, during interview you might need to prove them you're mature enough. I'm not saying you're not, I'm just saying that when they see a young person they need to be sure that they can trust you when they're offering you job.
Other than this, this forum is a gold mine of knowledge. Read this and other general threads about becoming train driver, as well as threads regarding recruitment in companies you mentioned. And good luck!

si_145653

Hey All

I have finally decided at 43 to try and follow my childhood dream of being a driver and have stumbled across this site. It’s been really helpful and great to see that entering the industry age doesn’t seem to be a barrier, so thanks for sharing experiences and info. (Nice to find a forum without people bitching at each other too)

I’m based in Plymouth so am pretty limited to GWR and CrossCountry but I have a few questions that I am hoping some might be able to help me with.

If you apply to be a trainee driver am I right in thinking you could be a depot driver first or have I misunderstood that?

Does anyone know where GWR and crosscounty training takes places. I would have issues if I was required to be based at a hotel for weeks on end which I have seen others posts refer to for training.

The tests seem a little scary and I have seen posts referring to how2become and traineetraindriverinfo are both of these sites good to research from and still current in this changing world?. As someone with no industry experience I am not unsure where to start exactly.

A curious thing (and obviously thinking way ahead into the future now) how so Rotas and shifts generally work, so you have some pattern or structure to follow and do similar routes or is it all over the place (my partner is in aviation and that’s all over the place)
Thanks in advance all.

T-Karmel

I’m based in Plymouth so am pretty limited to GWR and CrossCountry but I have a few questions that I am hoping some might be able to help me with.
I'm not very familiar with the area, but there might also be some freight companies around (FOC for short).
If you apply to be a trainee driver am I right in thinking you could be a depot driver first or have I misunderstood that?
It seems that's the case in some GWR depots. Some people being in Talent Pool they applied for a Train Driver position, but over the time they started offering Depot Driver roles to them with an option to change to Mainline Driver in the future.
The tests seem a little scary and I have seen posts referring to how2become and traineetraindriverinfo are both of these sites good to research from and still current in this changing world?. As someone with no industry experience I am not unsure where to start exactly.
My advice is practise, practise, practise. And research. But also don't over do it, so you don't start panicking and overthinking. In the end of the day, they're just tests checking your natural ability for the job. I only used one of tools mentioned by you and I found it very helpful. There's also some tools available on this forum, for example Group Bourdon.
A curious thing (and obviously thinking way ahead into the future now) how so Rotas and shifts generally work, so you have some pattern or structure to follow and do similar routes or is it all over the place (my partner is in aviation and that’s all over the place)
Thanks in advance all.
General approach is a X lines roster. Let's say, 50 lines. That's 50 drivers spread across 50 weeks. You start, let's say, on week 23 and you just follow it until 50, then start from 1 again. You can then plan your roster forever in the future - well until roster changes. There isn't a cut out example roster that works everywhere. It varies between depots and even inside the depot between different links. You work some number of days, then you're off for some number of days. That usually changes week to week. You could be working 4 on, 2 off, 5 on, 3 off, 7 on, 4 off. Or any other possible combination.

Shifts are obviously utterly unsocial, so you might be starting as early as 3 am and finishing as late as 2 am. Some depots do night shifts as well.
I have finally decided at 43 to try and follow my childhood dream of being a driver
Good luck in achieving it!

si_145653

I'm not very familiar with the area, but there might also be some freight companies around (FOC for short).

It seems that's the case in some GWR depots. Some people being in Talent Pool they applied for a Train Driver position, but over the time they started offering Depot Driver roles to them with an option to change to Mainline Driver in the future.

My advice is practise, practise, practise. And research. But also don't over do it, so you don't start panicking and overthinking. In the end of the day, they're just tests checking your natural ability for the job. I only used one of tools mentioned by you and I found it very helpful. There's also some tools available on this forum, for example Group Bourdon.

General approach is a X lines roster. Let's say, 50 lines. That's 50 drivers spread across 50 weeks. You start, let's say, on week 23 and you just follow it until 50, then start from 1 again. You can then plan your roster forever in the future - well until roster changes. There isn't a cut out example roster that works everywhere. It varies between depots and even inside the depot between different links. You work some number of days, then you're off for some number of days. That usually changes week to week. You could be working 4 on, 2 off, 5 on, 3 off, 7 on, 4 off. Or any other possible combination.

Shifts are obviously utterly unsocial, so you might be starting as early as 3 am and finishing as late as 2 am. Some depots do night shifts as well.

Good luck in achieving it!
Thanks for your reply and kind words. That’s really helpful and I appreciate you taking time out of your day to help :)

Diedinium

I don't see your background to be any problem, I met Trainee Train Drivers who got a job and never worked in transport industry at all before and they came from retail for example.

As you said, your age isn't a problem neither, however just because of young age, what I would do, I would just do a thorough research, especially that you're from outside of the railway. Just so you understand thoroughly what a job itself, and recruitment process involves.
For example, during interview you might need to prove them you're mature enough. I'm not saying you're not, I'm just saying that when they see a young person they need to be sure that they can trust you when they're offering you job.
Other than this, this forum is a gold mine of knowledge. Read this and other general threads about becoming train driver, as well as threads regarding recruitment in companies you mentioned. And good luck!
Thank you for the pointers, I'm sure I'll keep reading around on this forum, want to read those links people shared earlier back about what a day is actually like as a driver as well.

Also, Is it actually needed to prepare for the tests that are commonly done in any way, at least in your opinion? Or do you think its only worth having a general idea of what the tests are and just like, going for it?

T-Karmel

No problem guys, I hope that's of any help for you.
Also, Is it actually needed to prepare for the tests that are commonly done in any way, at least in your opinion? Or do you think its only worth having a general idea of what the tests are and just like, going for it?
When you're being invited by TOC or FOC to the assessments, they send you practice material. They always invites you at least week in advance, sometimes 2, 3 or even 4 weeks before. That's enough time to practise it. However since you're already here on the forum and you're keen to learn, why not to start getting familiar with each test now, slowly slowly, read about people's experiences and learn from simple mistakes they made beforehand.

Diedinium

No problem guys, I hope that's of any help for you.

When you're being invited by TOC or FOC to the assessments, they send you practice material. They always invites you at least week in advance, sometimes 2, 3 or even 4 weeks before. That's enough time to practise it. However since you're already here on the forum and you're keen to learn, why not to start getting familiar with each test now, slowly slowly, read about people's experiences and learn from simple mistakes they made beforehand.
Yeah good points, definitely going to be reading through the thread, the fact that the first posts are all the way back from 2008 when people were applying via on paper application forms is quite entertaining, to say the least.

One other question; eyesight. I wear glasses, and can see well with them on - but would the mere fact that I need glasses scupper my chances?

T-Karmel

One other question; eyesight. I wear glasses, and can see well with them on - but would the mere fact that I need glasses scupper my chances?
So there's national requirement to it, which you can Google, however the TOC or FOC may have stricter rules to it. Myself I passed medical with lenses over -2.

Diedinium

So there's national requirement to it, which you can Google, however the TOC or FOC may have stricter rules to it. Myself I passed medical with lenses over -2.
My right is 6.25 and left is 5 - the sites I've found only list in terms of 20/20 and other terms like that, apparently the uncorrected limit is 3/60 - but I have no idea what that is compared to the measurements that the likes of Specsavers provide (SPH, CYL etc)...

T-Karmel

My right is 6.25 and left is 5 - the sites I've found only list in terms of 20/20 and other terms like that, apparently the uncorrected limit is 3/60 - but I have no idea what that is compared to the measurements that the likes of Specsavers provide (SPH, CYL etc)...
I suppose you're alright as long as your glasses make it 20/20 vision. I'm just not 100% sure on that, so don't take my word for it.

NorthernTech

Just use search bar, top right of page, and type it in. The pics last about half a second in the test, and both times I’ve done it I’ve just not had a clue what I’d seen, or so I thought, passed both times. When you get the assessment practice material through, practice the examples given and maybe make up your own, but there is no ‘answers’ anywhere, you have to just scan the pic and say what you see unfortunately

Kauntrilla

Just use search bar, top right of page, and type it in. The pics last about half a second in the test, and both times I’ve done it I’ve just not had a clue what I’d seen, or so I thought, passed both times. When you get the assessment practice material through, practice the examples given and maybe make up your own, but there is no ‘answers’ anywhere, you have to just scan the pic and say what you see unfortunately
Thank you Northern Tech. I will try my best mate.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. How many hours does an already qualified driver need to complete on a new route in order to be considered 'competent' ?

Dieseldriver

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. How many hours does an already qualified driver need to complete on a new route in order to be considered 'competent' ?
Generally there isn’t an ‘hours’ based criteria for route learning. Some places might do things differently but generally there is an expected number of trips (with some to be done in the hours of darkness) to have over the route. Every route is different, a complex route will take a longer amount of time to learn than a more simple route.

Kauntrilla

Hi thanks to the guys specially Northern Tech who gave me lot of encourgement and tips earlier. I now have passed the assessment. Next up is Multi Module interview. It wud b nice if someone can give me tips and insight. Regarding the precise writting of answers before interview , shud i write the whole example or just hint. TIA

SeanW90

After four applications and over two years as a guard I’ve recently passed all interviews and assessments for train driver. My first three applications didn’t make it past the sift. My current successful application was for internals only, which gives you potentially a better chance I think. Many thanks to everyone on here for the very helpful information and advice. I managed to pass the assessments first time. I’ve been put on hold for a training course but I’m confident I’ll get a place over the next few months.

Kauntrilla

After four applications and over two years as a guard I’ve recently passed all interviews and assessments for train driver. My first three applications didn’t make it past the sift. My current successful application was for internals only, which gives you potentially a better chance I think. Many thanks to everyone on here for the very helpful information and advice. I managed to pass the assessments first time. I’ve been put on hold for a training course but I’m confident I’ll get a place over the next few months.
Hi mate. Can u give me insight into multi module interview. Do u write whole example on the form or just bullet points?
Which TOC and depot u r applying? Thanks

SeanW90

Hi mate. Can u give me insight into multi module interview. Do u write whole example on the form or just bullet points?
Which TOC and depot u r applying? Thanks
Hi mate. Everyone will be asked the same 6 mandatory questions. You get about 25 minutes to write down the answers on a form first. About 1 or 2 sentences max and then you have to give more details in the interview. Use STAR in the interview and make sure your answers are focused on safety and following rules/procedures. I’m at Northern.

NorthernTech

Hi thanks to the guys specially Northern Tech who gave me lot of encourgement and tips earlier. I now have passed the assessment. Next up is Multi Module interview. It wud b nice if someone can give me tips and insight. Regarding the precise writting of answers before interview , shud i write the whole example or just hint. TIA
Congratulations! Did you do the paper and computer tests? MMI was the one I failed first time and seems to be different each time someone does it, depending on whoever interviews them. When I had mine coming up I searched as much for anything MMI related on the search function and made loads of notes. I had a list of all the possible questions (especially the main 6) and listed examples from my current job to suit. I then wrote out the examples using the STAR format and kept tweaking them until I felt I was on the right track (pardon the pun). I was super nervous about it, but I knew my examples inside and out by the time the exam came up so could easily talk about them. I think I left the STAR format a few times on my successful interview but I think the guy could tell I wasn’t faking the answers. One of the answers even covered the requirements for 2 questions he said so that eased my nerves a bit. I was told at the end I’d passed…massive relief! So start with the search bar, type in MMI and just spend a bit of time reading and note taking, then build up your notes from there. If you have someone who can give you a mock interview that may help too. A friend of mine did one via zoom for me, he didn’t grill me too hard, but I realised I was waffling a lot, so I trimmed down my examples so they were more straight to the point. I’m not sure how much that helps, but good luck

Kauntrilla

Congratulations! Did you do the paper and computer tests? MMI was the one I failed first time and seems to be different each time someone does it, depending on whoever interviews them. When I had mine coming up I searched as much for anything MMI related on the search function and made loads of notes. I had a list of all the possible questions (especially the main 6) and listed examples from my current job to suit. I then wrote out the examples using the STAR format and kept tweaking them until I felt I was on the right track (pardon the pun). I was super nervous about it, but I knew my examples inside and out by the time the exam came up so could easily talk about them. I think I left the STAR format a few times on my successful interview but I think the guy could tell I wasn’t faking the answers. One of the answers even covered the requirements for 2 questions he said so that eased my nerves a bit. I was told at the end I’d passed…massive relief! So start with the search bar, type in MMI and just spend a bit of time reading and note taking, then build up your notes from there. If you have someone who can give you a mock interview that may help too. A friend of mine did one via zoom for me, he didn’t grill me too hard, but I realised I was waffling a lot, so I trimmed down my examples so they were more straight to the point. I’m not sure how much that helps, but good luck
Yes mate, i passed the paper and computer tests. As u told me before regarding perception test i thought i have done badly but still manage to pass.
I think i m ok with the verbal part of MMI. I am not sure how the writting part will go.
I think ur answer is very helpful. I manage to find around 16 questions. Hopefuly, interview will be mostly from those 14 questions. Fingers cross.

Hi mate. Everyone will be asked the same 6 mandatory questions. You get about 25 minutes to write down the answers on a form first. About 1 or 2 sentences max and then you have to give more details in the interview. Use STAR in the interview and make sure your answers are focused on safety and following rules/procedures. I’m at Northern.
Thank you very much mate for giving me info. One or two sentences thats all i wanted to know. Now i can focus more on the main questions. Thank you once more

Leoleo1833

Hi guys im just wondering is it normal that southeastern does all the tests and mmi in 1 day?
And lastly do they require enhanced or just normal standards?

Shunted

Heard on the grapevine that about 5 or 6 people were sent home on the TEA-OCC stage during assessments which were carried out last week.
Anyone with upcoming assessments, it might be worthwhile having a closer look at what this test consists of.

Spaniard

We had to do all.the tests which is a bit bad for people who will fail. I'd prefer to be told when I wasn't good enough rather then spens the day there. Anyways waiting on results and not overly confident