• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a train driver

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

railtricia

Really helpful thanks mate.

Yea as I heard the AL situation is grim. All TOCS really should get up to speed digitally tbh. Many online tools now to help and saves everyone a lot of time and unnecessary hassle.
Can anyone expand on this? Do all TOCS use Roster Clerks and do all shift swaps have to be requested manually, before waiting for an answer?

I come from the airline industry where all shift swaps have been digital since the mid-2000s; swaps can be requested and granted immediately (using Sabre AirCentre Staff Admin) no Roster Clerk permission required. Any insight on this would be most welcome.

Attachments

• 52E5CE87-9D50-41CC-B565-C463F55F4F88.jpeg
    52E5CE87-9D50-41CC-B565-C463F55F4F88.jpeg
    387.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

Nflkrail

Can anyone expand on this? Do all TOCS use Roster Clerks and do all shift swaps have to be requested manually, before waiting for an answer?

I come from the airline industry where all shift swaps have been digital since the mid-2000s; swaps can be requested and granted immediately (using Sabre AirCentre Staff Admin) no Roster Clerk permission required. Any insight on this would be most welcome.
Everywhere I've worked is still manual paper submission, scanned and emailed to rosters daily. We've just got an app to see whether it's gone through earlier than normal but the railway is still very backward in this regard.

dk1

Veteran Member
Still a paper copy sent to the roster clerk daily with my TOC. Changeovers however can be done at anytime before the start of the first shift with the duty traincrew manager (DTM) who cover 24/7.

ItchyRsole

Ridiculous tbh.

As mentioned we are in 2022.

It’s really simple to devise a programme with everyone’s booked shifts on and have an allocation of AL days that can be booked. Either first come first served or have it where certain lines which rotate get first dibs.

Come on TOCS get up to speed.

dk1

Veteran Member
Ridiculous tbh.

As mentioned we are in 2022.

It’s really simple to devise a programme with everyone’s booked shifts on and have an allocation of AL days that can be booked. Either first come first served or have it where certain lines which rotate get first dibs.

Come on TOCS get up to speed.
It works very well. No need to change it.

ungreat

Ours is paper or email. Last minute swaps via DRM

Is it so bad it being a paper copy? Dose that make it harder to book holidays and days off and stuff?
No it doesn't...all depends on how many are off on leave etc. If you know what days you need off in advance its usually not an issue at all

railtricia

Is it so bad it being a paper copy? Dose that make it harder to book holidays and days off and stuff?
No just makes it slower. You are waiting on the Roster Clerk to approve it, rather than have the application do it for you instantaneously. We are in 2022 after all.

ItchyRsole

It works very well. No need to change it.
No it doesn't.

Slow process. Waiting on roster clerks and others to approve it, reply and what not. Usually need to chase them up too. Old fashioned dinosaur system that needs changing to get up to speed with today's technology.

dk1

Veteran Member
No it doesn't.

Slow process. Waiting on roster clerks and others to approve it, reply and what not. Usually need to chase them up too. Old fashioned dinosaur system that needs changing to get up to speed with today's technology.
Proud to be a Luddite. Works well here so no fix required.

7429_dog

Good afternoon everyone

First time posting on the forum, always been a distant observer but after 4 years of waiting since my original application i have been through my part one assessments for Scotrail for trainee train driver and passed this stage.

I've been told to expect the manager interview next and was looking for any sort of tips and advice. I'm fortunate enough that an old colleague went through the process some 4 years ago and has been great with some advice but I'm looking to get as many opinions as possible as this has been a career I have been looking at for some 15+ years now and i want to make the most of it.

Shunted

Good afternoon everyone

First time posting on the forum, always been a distant observer but after 4 years of waiting since my original application i have been through my part one assessments for Scotrail for trainee train driver and passed this stage.

I've been told to expect the manager interview next and was looking for any sort of tips and advice. I'm fortunate enough that an old colleague went through the process some 4 years ago and has been great with some advice but I'm looking to get as many opinions as possible as this has been a career I have been looking at for some 15+ years now and i want to make the most of it.
Use the search function at the top and you will find everything you need for the whole process

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Proud to be a Luddite. Works well here so no fix required.

It is not ideal - an online system has a lot more flexibility and information, does things like automatically track people's leave, can send you an update with an outcome rather than having to sift around a pidgeon hole (especially if you're off for a few days) which means you can try and rebook with more notice, you can see how many others might be off so gives you an idea if you have a shot or not. Those are some benefits off the top of my head.

dk1

Veteran Member
It is not ideal - an online system has a lot more flexibility and information, does things like automatically track people's leave, can send you an update with an outcome rather than having to sift around a pidgeon hole (especially if you're off for a few days) which means you can try and rebook with more notice, you can see how many others might be off so gives you an idea if you have a shot or not. Those are some benefits off the top of my head.
Our accumulated leave in days are all online as are our rosters. Loose days leave are still applied for via a leave book at our depot. This ensures everything is controlled in strict order of applying. Once confirmed an electronic message is sent.

Tafadzwa Mkudu

Hi Guys,

I've just recently qualified as a driver for National Express East Coast at Leeds.

I was an internal applicant but I will pass on my experience.

First there was the interview. 300 applicants down to 30 to be interviewed. It is important on the application form as well as the interview to talk about professionalism, your reliability but even more importantly they want to hear about how importantly you take communication and safety. You must be able to show you have done some research. Tell them where their driver's depots are, their train depots, which routes they travel over.

There were 2 positions and they only sent us 2 for the pyschometric testing, whereas usually they send half a dozen because the pass rate is about 25%.

At the testing you will do a short term memory test. You get a passage of text to read for about 5 minutes and then have to answer as many multiple choice questions as you can in the time given. You can make notes whilst you read the text and I cant stress enough I much this will help you.

You will then have to do the concentration test, which is also known as the barden test. It is pages of groups shapes made up of 3, 4 or 5 dots. The idea is to put a mark through each of the 4 dot shapes and do as many as possible. This is difficult but photocopy loads and loads of pages before you go and just do them over and over again.

There is then the co-ordination test on a computer. There is a monitor with a special keyboard which has 4 coloured buttons on. You also have 2 foot pedals and ear phones on. Basically the idea is which ever colour flashes on to the screen you press the corresponding button. When ever you get a buzz in your left ear your press down the left foot pedal etc. This should be fine if you are used to using a playstation etc.

Then there is the mechanics test. This is basically a physics test. You'll get diagrams and questions like if pulley A is turned clockwise which way will pulley C turn. Buy Physics for dummies. This was a great help to me.

Anyway, pass all that and you are in! Then the hard work starts.

Hope this helps. I was thinking of operating some sort of seminar for people that are looking to get in to train driving and want to know what is involved. I'd provide examples used in the psychometric testing and interview techniques etc. Do you think anybody would be interested in attending such a thing?

Anyway, bye for now.

Mike
Yes definitely would interested in attending

DBM97

Hoping someone can help me out here. I currently work for a freight company as a locomotive tech, applied for a jnr. Train driver role internally last year, passed the psychometric test December's last year also. Had the company interview in feb but found out last week i was unsuccessful. Does passing a psychometric test automatically put you in a talent pool? Would be great to hear if someones been in a similar position to myself. Apologies if this similar question has been asked, couldn't find it if so.

GG96LFC

Hello mate. When applying for a trainee drivers role, you’ll only be placed into the talent pool if you pass all psychometric tests as well as the company interview (also known as Driver Manager Interview).
Whilst that unfortunately means you won’t be in the talent pool this time, on the plus side, as you’ve passed the psychometric tests, that should mean if you apply to the same company again, you’ll only have to do the Driver Manager Interview next time. Also, if you’re test results are high enough, you can apply to other companies when they’re advertising, and if they accept your test scores they’ll allow you to also go straight to the Driver Manager Interview without having to redo the psychometrics. Always worth double checking with the HR team of the company you’re applying to, as every company has their own different policies regarding the psychometrics (some accept tests up to 5 years old, some only accept tests done less than 1 year ago).
Also, each company has their own set standards with regards to test scores, so one company could demand much higher test scores than another company. Whilst the test scores aren’t available publicly, the company’s HR team should be able to advise if your test scores meet their standard.

DBM97

Hello mate. When applying for a trainee drivers role, you’ll only be placed into the talent pool if you pass all psychometric tests as well as the company interview (also known as Driver Manager Interview).
Whilst that unfortunately means you won’t be in the talent pool this time, on the plus side, as you’ve passed the psychometric tests, that should mean if you apply to the same company again, you’ll only have to do the Driver Manager Interview next time. Also, if you’re test results are high enough, you can apply to other companies when they’re advertising, and if they accept your test scores they’ll allow you to also go straight to the Driver Manager Interview without having to redo the psychometrics. Always worth double checking with the HR team of the company you’re applying to, as every company has their own different policies regarding the psychometrics (some accept tests up to 5 years old, some only accept tests done less than 1 year ago).
Also, each company has their own set standards with regards to test scores, so one company could demand much higher test scores than another company. Whilst the test scores aren’t available publicly, the company’s HR team should be able to advise if your test scores meet their standard.
Thankyou for the reply! I did have an interview straight after i found out i passed the psychometric test then another interview with someone from HR and a manager from the drivers side so I'd assume the 2nd interview was the driver manager interview. Im still awaiting an email back from HR for feedback as to what questions i fell short on, when you become so emotionally attached its a big blow to take. Once again thank you for clearing that up for me

GG96LFC

No worries mate. And yes it’s definitely a massive disappointment, I had the same myself a few years ago the first time I applied. Use any feedback you get from HR to your advantage. Also, if you can remember them, note down the questions you were asked in the interview so that you’re fully prepared if you have an interview with the same company in the future.
Find out which freight/passenger companies operate locally to you, and keep checking their vacancy websites as often as possible. Train driver jobs are typically not advertised for very long due to so many people applying, so always a good idea to get into the habit of checking for local vacancies as often as possible

B Boy 82

Good afternoon all. I recently received a email from south eastern stating I have passed the screening for trainee train driver. Has anyone received this? If so how long after this are you invited for testing? Where can we be expected to go? Lastly what can we expect on the day?

Many thanks all

nb2001uk

Good afternoon all. I recently received a email from south eastern stating I have passed the screening for trainee train driver. Has anyone received this? If so how long after this are you invited for testing? Where can we be expected to go? Lastly what can we expect on the day?

Many thanks all
what depot? was this for the October campaign?

Sam1991

Yes I applied back in October. I’m Central London so I put Victoria or Charing Cross as my closest
I’m still waiting to hear for October one I applied for. My application still says in process and I received an email stating they are still keen to review my application form but have so many applicants to review atm. I applied for Victoria so fingers crossed I’ll hear soon